gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:36:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 272597 times)
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 20, 2017, 07:44:51 AM »

I wish Brian were allowed to just retire and take a step back from touring so much.

He is allowed to. Brian has stated numerous times that he has no desire to retire. He is interested in both recording and touring. In fact, he has even recently said he is more interested in touring than recording! He has his bad days...he will hear auditory hallucinations on stage from time to time, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to tour.

My comment comes from watching his performances on YouTube where he looks so sad and miserable. I always felt, personally, that he is being pushed out there to perform to keep his lifestyle the way it is. When you got to a Mike and Bruce show, there is fun but with Brian it just looks so somber, like a funeral. Thank God for Al and the band.

But if you say he has stated repeatedly that it is what he wants, so be it. He is coming to my area in May 2018, I will surely be there.

I don't think Brian tours because he needs the money. I think it's fair to assume that Brian and his extended family are set for life and they have been for a long time. It's also been discussed that Brian tours in more luxury than Mike & Bruce. In other words, he's not counting pennies. I think it's fair to say that touring is more of a struggle for Brian than it is for Mike & Bruce and at times that can be observed simply by watching a youtube video. With that said, what is Brian to do? Hide away in his bedroom? His ailments won't disappear if he retires. Although, maybe his back problems might improve a little. Still, I get the sense that he's making up for lost time. I think it took him a long, long time to truly understand how much his fans appreciate him. I think his goal is to make them happy, which makes him happy. That doesn't mean it's not a struggle for him, though. If he wants to retire, I support him 100%. No one here would argue that he doesn't deserve to!

Every wave is new until it breaks.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 20, 2017, 08:13:32 AM »

There's an Orbison hologram tour hitting the UK soon (might be the same company/technology that is doing the Dio show). It's pretty gross overall I'd say. I mean, I guess there's something of an extra "missed opportunity" with Orbison as he did at age 52 and had barely started his career resurgence when he died. I guess on the scale of "justifiable", he's a bit more so simply due to not having been touring constantly as recently as a few years ago. But it's still icky and tacky.

I dig some of what Orbison's sons are doing (expanded "Black and White Night" Blu-ray, deluxe "Mystery Girl" reissue, reissuing the MGM era stuff including a full unreleased album), I'm a bit iffy on others (the symphonic overdubs album), and have been disappointed by yet others (the hologram, the continuous hits compilations).

But the BBs, in various incarnations, are still touring as they head towards 80 years old and the band's 60th anniversary. Hopefully we won't have to deal with prospects of holograms for them any time terribly soon.

But yeah, kind of along the lines of what Billy said, instead of doing Dio or Orbison or BB holograms, just put out some more DVDs or Blu-rays or something. Most of these artists have an archive full of stuff (especially live stuff) that hasn't been released. Just put *that* stuff out.

Also, I've seen the Dio hologram on YouTube and it never doesn't come across as a gimmick. Is it better than just doing like those Elvis shows where they just play live with Elvis on a video screen behind them? I'm not really sure.

I don't think we'll ever encounter holograms of the Beach Boys. Nobody in the general public cares who they're seeing. The Beach Boys will become the Glenn Miller Orchestra of Rock and Roll. I'm 23, and I have no doubt that when I'm 53 that the Beach Boys will be touring...perhaps with Scott Totten as the "long time member" like Bruce is now...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: December 20, 2017, 09:30:40 AM »

There's an Orbison hologram tour hitting the UK soon (might be the same company/technology that is doing the Dio show). It's pretty gross overall I'd say. I mean, I guess there's something of an extra "missed opportunity" with Orbison as he did at age 52 and had barely started his career resurgence when he died. I guess on the scale of "justifiable", he's a bit more so simply due to not having been touring constantly as recently as a few years ago. But it's still icky and tacky.

I dig some of what Orbison's sons are doing (expanded "Black and White Night" Blu-ray, deluxe "Mystery Girl" reissue, reissuing the MGM era stuff including a full unreleased album), I'm a bit iffy on others (the symphonic overdubs album), and have been disappointed by yet others (the hologram, the continuous hits compilations).

But the BBs, in various incarnations, are still touring as they head towards 80 years old and the band's 60th anniversary. Hopefully we won't have to deal with prospects of holograms for them any time terribly soon.

But yeah, kind of along the lines of what Billy said, instead of doing Dio or Orbison or BB holograms, just put out some more DVDs or Blu-rays or something. Most of these artists have an archive full of stuff (especially live stuff) that hasn't been released. Just put *that* stuff out.

Also, I've seen the Dio hologram on YouTube and it never doesn't come across as a gimmick. Is it better than just doing like those Elvis shows where they just play live with Elvis on a video screen behind them? I'm not really sure.

I don't think we'll ever encounter holograms of the Beach Boys. Nobody in the general public cares who they're seeing. The Beach Boys will become the Glenn Miller Orchestra of Rock and Roll. I'm 23, and I have no doubt that when I'm 53 that the Beach Boys will be touring...perhaps with Scott Totten as the "long time member" like Bruce is now...

The brand will indeed almost surely be licensed in some form or another. I don't know if we'd see Totten still doing it 30 years from now. I don't know his exact age, but I'd have to imagine he's nearing 50 right now.

Based on a variety of factors and pieces of information, I think Foskett could well be angling for the license once Mike is done.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: December 20, 2017, 09:33:07 AM »

I wish Brian were allowed to just retire and take a step back from touring so much.

He is allowed to. Brian has stated numerous times that he has no desire to retire. He is interested in both recording and touring. In fact, he has even recently said he is more interested in touring than recording! He has his bad days...he will hear auditory hallucinations on stage from time to time, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to tour.

My comment comes from watching his performances on YouTube where he looks so sad and miserable. I always felt, personally, that he is being pushed out there to perform to keep his lifestyle the way it is. When you got to a Mike and Bruce show, there is fun but with Brian it just looks so somber, like a funeral. Thank God for Al and the band.

But if you say he has stated repeatedly that it is what he wants, so be it. He is coming to my area in May 2018, I will surely be there.

The "does Brian want to be touring?" question is really no different now than it was back in 1999 when he started doing it. It's pretty clear that the reason it's such a controversial topic is that the answer is indeed somewhere in between. I think Brian wouldn't do it left to his own devices. But I think he also appreciates the benefits of being motivated to stay active (both physically and mentally, and musically). He clearly has never liked many if not most of the aspects of touring. But he also knows he gets something out of it (money is one thing; though not the only).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
13thBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 20, 2017, 09:34:58 AM »

The brand will indeed almost surely be licensed in some form or another. I don't know if we'd see Totten still doing it 30 years from now. I don't know his exact age, but I'd have to imagine he's nearing 50 right now.

Based on a variety of factors and pieces of information, I think Foskett could well be angling for the license once Mike is done.

Listen, I'm 37. I can't imagine seeing any member of the Beach Boys live by the time I turn 40 aside from maybe Al. If there is SOMEONE alive and healthy enough to put together a good BB show experience .... I am 100% in support of it.

I'd love to see Matt Jardine over Foskett, though.
KDS
« Reply #180 on: December 20, 2017, 09:45:28 AM »

Let me first state that I have no inside info, but PS with a symphony is amazing stuff, and I think many people want new material in other parts of the show that haven't been heard before.  I have a strong feeling that this will work out and be worth the ticket price alone.

I'm sticking with this assessment.  I'll let you know if I'm wrong about there being new material for hard-cores.

If Brian's inspired and has the sound he wants, he does very well.  I think the orchestra will work for him.  Yes, sometimes he gets tired and he's even more prone to getting bored - maybe even more than some of us who are asking for more deep cuts.

I've been reading that ABBA will be doing a world tour in 2019 as holograms appearing before a live band (good for them for having all that great film footage to work with).  I think it's them in their 20's/30's when they had all that energy.  Pick your options, do you want living BBs or holograms?  No criticism intended toward ABBA - I think its a really creative (and probably lucrative) idea. 

Ronnie James Dio is also touring as a hologram.  I fear this is where live (?) music is heading.  Im fine with playing to a video like The Beach Boys do to Carl and Dennis for one song each, but I wouldnt want to see a hologram on stage for a whole show. 

Oh hell no.  I don't like that idea one bit

Me neither.  But as the legends slowly pass on or retire, I could see this becoming more common. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: December 20, 2017, 10:27:17 AM »

Listen, I'm 37. I can't imagine seeing any member of the Beach Boys live by the time I turn 40 aside from maybe Al. If there is SOMEONE alive and healthy enough to put together a good BB show experience .... I am 100% in support of it.

I'd love to see Matt Jardine over Foskett, though.

Mike, if he maintains his health, I could easily see continuing past 80 years old. He hands over a huge hunk of his show to other lead vocalists. Bruce doesn't have to do any heavy lifting at the shows, so as long as he maintains his health he could do the same.

Obviously, with each year the stats dictate a demise for all of the common reasons becomes more and more likely. But I doubt Mike will "retire" as long as he's able to do it. He'll either do it until he dies, or until he has a relatively significant infirmity.

I would definitely much prefer Matt Jardine to Foskett for both musical and non-musical reasons, if a license is eventually issued outside of any founding members.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: December 20, 2017, 11:17:07 AM »

I'll let the cat give my answer to that possibility:

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 20, 2017, 11:19:34 AM »

Give grumpy cat the license.... Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: December 20, 2017, 12:11:51 PM »

I'll let the cat give my answer to that possibility:

I wouldn't want to see it (now or at any other time), again for both musical and non-musical reasons, and I'm skeptical as to whether BRI would ever sign on for something so long as any founding members are still alive.

But based on the available info I have, I think it's definitely possible that Foskett wants it and/or is angling for it if only in subtle ways.

Foskett may not be as much of a lynchpin to Mike's organization as he was to Brian's at times, but I don't believe Foskett is just another guy in Mike's band now. He joins Mike for public events (often if not usually without Bruce). Other than Stamos (when Stamos is on tour with them), Foskett seems to be the most prominent public face of the band outside of Mike.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: December 20, 2017, 12:43:01 PM »

But based on the available info I have, I think it's definitely possible that Foskett wants it and/or is angling for it if only in subtle ways.

Foskett may not be as much of a lynchpin to Mike's organization as he was to Brian's at times, but I don't believe Foskett is just another guy in Mike's band now. He joins Mike for public events (often if not usually without Bruce). Other than Stamos (when Stamos is on tour with them), Foskett seems to be the most prominent public face of the band outside of Mike.

Once there are no more original BB touring, the name should be RETIRED. Period.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 20, 2017, 12:55:49 PM »

Mike will tour through Skype at age 90....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 20, 2017, 05:09:15 PM »

RE: why does brian still tour...i heard an interview with him and was asked why he still tours and he said “it makes me money and it makes people happy”
Sure we will never know but id be curious how much money he has.
In the wilson project he said he was down to 150k or so.
Plus the lawsuit he lost, plus his band has like 12 people in it so he obviously doesnt make as much per show he could. I wouldnt be suprised if he doesnt have as much as people think and his expenses are high and he wants to make sure he is set for retirement when he cant tour anymore.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 05:09:52 PM by Needleinthehay » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 20, 2017, 07:09:43 PM »

Getting back on topic...two questions in regards to Kennedy Center Concert...

Can anybody find what time tickets go on sale tomorrow? I see that information NOWHERE.

Also, I am beginning to doubt the presence of the NSO. I have read on Brian's website press release that he will be joined by the National Symphony Orchestra. I have read on other accounts that he will be joined by HIS ten piece orchestra (his band), and on the Kennedy Center website and description it makes NO mention of the NSO performing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: December 20, 2017, 08:05:58 PM »

RE: why does brian still tour...i heard an interview with him and was asked why he still tours and he said “it makes me money and it makes people happy”
Plus the lawsuit he lost, plus his band has like 12 people in it so he obviously doesnt make as much per show he could. I wouldnt be suprised if he doesnt have as much as people think and his expenses are high and he wants to make sure he is set for retirement when he cant tour anymore.

Brian Wilson has enough money that he could literally say "f*** it" and do whatever he wants wherever he wants for the rest of his days. The touring and the reactions from the audiences inspires him and he enjoys doing it - Some of the more exotic stops on recent tours like Israel and New Zealand were highlights where he loved playing there. He has said numerous times that once the show got on the road, several decades ago at this point, he discovered he actually enjoyed performing live after pretty much shunning it for years, and with audiences willing to see him and musicians who are perhaps one of the finest groups of musicians playing on the road in the past two decades, he's still doing it.

I'm not trying to blast the comments or the commentator in a personal way by saying this, but if there is a notion out there or if people are trying to say Brian is touring because he needs the money, they are seriously misguided and it's complete bullshit. And I'm not just basing that on assumptions or opinion.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 20, 2017, 09:10:55 PM »

Brian Wilson has enough money that he could literally say "f*** it" and do whatever he wants wherever he wants for the rest of his days. The touring and the reactions from the audiences inspires him and he enjoys doing it - Some of the more exotic stops on recent tours like Israel and New Zealand were highlights where he loved playing there. He has said numerous times that once the show got on the road, several decades ago at this point, he discovered he actually enjoyed performing live after pretty much shunning it for years, and with audiences willing to see him and musicians who are perhaps one of the finest groups of musicians playing on the road in the past two decades, he's still doing it.

I'm not trying to blast the comments or the commentator in a personal way by saying this, but if there is a notion out there or if people are trying to say Brian is touring because he needs the money, they are seriously misguided and it's complete bullshit. And I'm not just basing that on assumptions or opinion.

Dude, you need to stop believing all the PR from Brian Wilson's camp. "He enjoys it"? "He's inspired by the audience's reaction"? Have you seen any video from his latest tour? He looks like he'd rather be anywhere else in the world that on that stage.

He tours for the same reason as everybody else: to make as much money as possible while they still can. It's the same reason you and I go to work every morning. Sure you may happen to like your work, but would you do it for free?

Don't believe them when they say those tours don't bring them much revenue. That's basic PR to prevent accusations of charging too much for tickets: "we barely make any money as it is, how could we charge less for tickets?" Truth is, they wouldn't do it if it wasn't profitable. All of those old rock stars have ex-wives and child support payments and a bunch of people on staff and a bunch of kids they need to leave the biggest estate to.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: December 20, 2017, 09:26:24 PM »

Dude, you need to stop believing all the PR from Brian Wilson's camp. "He enjoys it"? "He's inspired by the audience's reaction"? Have you seen any video from his latest tour? He looks like he'd rather be anywhere else in the world that on that stage.

He tours for the same reason as everybody else: to make as much money as possible while they still can. It's the same reason you and I go to work every morning. Sure you may happen to like your work, but would you do it for free?

Don't believe them when they say those tours don't bring them much revenue. That's basic PR to prevent accusations of charging too much for tickets: "we barely make any money as it is, how could we charge less for tickets?" Truth is, they wouldn't do it if it wasn't profitable. All of those old rock stars have ex-wives and child support payments and a bunch of people on staff and a bunch of kids they need to leave the biggest estate to.

Dude, you need to stop believing the same crowd that has been trying to tell fans Brian should quit playing live shows since 1999. Not coincidentally, a good majority of them on the various forums we all know were posters from the UK.

Not my problem if you haven't interacted with anyone beyond reading bullshit like Doe and company have spread for years. Just don't try to call me out when the facts are readily available, or in some cases, perhaps not as publicly reported.

If BW hated touring, he'd stop touring. Simple as that. Rolling Stone just voted Brian's most recent PS tour one of the best shows of 2017...is that "PR" too? I don't see Mike and Bruce on any such lists for the record.

Since you don't take my word as anything more than buying into PR bullshit, you need to try tracking down others with far deeper personal connections who will report the same thing about Brian's attitude toward touring and accuse them of buying the "PR", ask them what the deal is with Brian's touring, then get the responses and realize it's not PR. But I doubt you'll get the time of day let alone a reply from anyone who actually knows something beyond the rumors and sh*t posted on the PS forum or the now-defunct BBB. Have fun with your delusions, sport.

Just consider every seat sold for a Brian show could be considered cash out of ol' Mike's licensing-fee-paying pocket. Who would it benefit most to try denigrating or challenging anything about Brian's touring that would affect ticket sales? FYI. Think about that one.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: December 20, 2017, 09:47:44 PM »

Didn't know you were Brian and could speak for him.

Since you don't take my word as anything more than buying into PR bullshit, you need to try tracking down others with far deeper personal connections who will report the same thing about Brian's attitude toward touring and accuse them of buying the "PR", ask them what the deal is with Brian's touring, then get the responses and realize it's not PR

Exactly.

Whether or not Brian is bored of playing Pet Sounds or not does not diminish how he actually feels about performing and how he feels about the crowd.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 09:52:00 PM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: December 20, 2017, 09:53:11 PM »

And before anyone says anything

Dude, you need to stop believing the same crowd that has been trying to tell fans Brian should quit playing live shows since 1999. Not coincidentally, a good majority of them on the various forums we all know were posters from the UK.

That is specifically referring to the charlatan Andrew Doe and his acolytes. Oh, and HE stated that Brian's tours LOSE money. Don't believe me, Kreen? I kept every single PM he has ever sent me and can show proof. So if Brian's tours lose money, but he tours only for the money, well...does that make any sense to you?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 09:55:53 PM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 20, 2017, 11:01:02 PM »

Once there are no more original BB touring, the name should be RETIRED. Period.
That should have happened the day that the 2012 tour ended.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: December 20, 2017, 11:02:33 PM »

Agreed

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 20, 2017, 11:54:28 PM »

If I had my choice, I would rather see Brian focusing on recording, new material, than touring endlessly, doing Pet Sounds and the greatest hits year after year. Maybe it's unrealistic to expect a 70-something man to continue to create beautiful music, but I remember all the hope, optimism in the air when Brian re-emerged in 1995 after several years off the radar. We got the IJWMFTT soundtrack, OCA, and there was all the talk about the Paley sessions. It was all about moving forward, all the great music he still had in him. Now it all seems to be about the music he made 50 years ago. And I guess that's fine if he has reached the end of the line as a creative artist.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: December 21, 2017, 12:28:23 AM »

If I had my choice, I would rather see Brian focusing on recording, new material, than touring endlessly, doing Pet Sounds and the greatest hits year after year. Maybe it's unrealistic to expect a 70-something man to continue to create beautiful music, but I remember all the hope, optimism in the air when Brian re-emerged in 1995 after several years off the radar. We got the IJWMFTT soundtrack, OCA, and there was all the talk about the Paley sessions. It was all about moving forward, all the great music he still had in him. Now it all seems to be about the music he made 50 years ago. And I guess that's fine if he has reached the end of the line as a creative artist.

I'm with you, actually.  I want to hear new music from Brian more than anything.  Hell, I'd "settle" for him finishing songs from the vault that he wrote. I want to hear studio stuff for Brian.

Failing that, a tour based on the Playback compilation would've been ideal IMHO. Mixture of his best solo work along with his usual setlist? I'd be there in a heartbeat.  That said, I'm just glad he's out there, and if he comes back to Houston, I'm there regardless.  Just being in the same room as him hearing him work his magic? Oh yeah,  can't beat that

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 21, 2017, 04:23:46 AM »

I don't claim to know Brian's motivation for sure but quoting from a recent interview (from memory so forgive me if it's not exactly correct) he said 'I love my band, I love my bus, I love the tour. I miss the deli though'... and ever since I've had it stuck in my head to the tune of Elton John's Rocket Man ('I miss the earth so much, I miss my wife...').
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: December 21, 2017, 06:15:33 AM »

It's possible for someone to not *need* the money, yet still tour at least in part because it makes them money.

Make no mistake, Brian and his organization have booked a ton of shows in the last few years, and continue to book PS shows, in part because it's lucrative. I think Brian being out on the road is about more than purely making money (which is why he's had some down years like 2014, etc.), but I think they can't *not* dig finally making some good bank on these PS shows.

I wouldn't be surprised if the very early Brian tours didn't turn a huge profit. But make no mistake, these PS shows definitely are making them some good money. There's no way they'd be paying for Al and Blondie full-time unless promoters were putting up some nice advances.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 06:18:03 AM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 45 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx