gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:35:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 272407 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2017, 07:15:09 AM »

Looks like we have a new date: May 15 in SC at the North Charleston Performing Arts Center. It's also a "Pet Sounds" show. I've updated the top post with the new date.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 18, 2017, 08:28:07 AM »

Several new dates including Kennedy Center in DC, looks like all of these will be Pet Sounds Orchestra dates, so at least a little different look.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2017, 08:31:12 AM »

And Blondie Chaplin just posted that he will be on the tour.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2017, 09:08:44 AM »

Several new dates including Kennedy Center in DC, looks like all of these will be Pet Sounds Orchestra dates, so at least a little different look.

Thanks for the heads up on additional dates. Weirdly, Brian's website posted those new dates but only his Facebook page is showing the SC show on May 15 thus far.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2017, 09:10:53 AM »

I honestly don’t mind seeing pet sounds again if it’s with an orchestra, but this should be a short 10-16 date tour with Symphonies and then he should take off until an early December Christmas tour. That’s my two cents.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2017, 11:04:50 AM »

Here I am eating my words again. I'll consider The Kennedy Center. Adding the National Symphony Orchestra does wonders. They made Mike and Bruce sound immaculate in 2016.

That being said, I see the cheapest tickets are $50...and of course VIPs get up to $500...a few words of advice to anyone considering...the concert hall is not created equal. Mid-way back on the floor (orchestra) is about the only place you want to be. The sound is atrocious up in the mezzanines BUT, the absolute worst is in front. These poor shmucks buying VIP packages are really going to have the worst of it. The first five rows or so of the concert hall is just awful. I don't know what it is. It's like the sound goes over top of you. It's very muffled and fuzzy.

I'll consider this one, but if regular orchestra seats are much over $100, I don't know if I can justify it.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2017, 01:25:09 PM »

Found another one -- this tour is getting closer to me.

May 16 -- Augusta, GA (Bell Auditorium)
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2017, 01:59:27 PM »

Not to sound like a stick in the mud, but is anyone else slightly annoyed that these Pet Sounds dates are still happening? They've been saying it's the "final" performances for the last two years, when it's obvious that these aren't the final performances of PS.

It's fantastic Brian and his band are still touring, but saying that it's a "final" performance of Pet Sounds for the past two years creates a false sense of urgency to concertgoers — esp. since he's coming back to the same cities.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2017, 02:46:42 PM »

Not to sound like a stick in the mud, but is anyone else slightly annoyed that these Pet Sounds dates are still happening? They've been saying it's the "final" performances for the last two years, when it's obvious that these aren't the final performances of PS.

It's fantastic Brian and his band are still touring, but saying that it's a "final" performance of Pet Sounds for the past two years creates a false sense of urgency to concertgoers — esp. since he's coming back to the same cities.

I feel the same way. The late 2016 shows were billed as "final", then the tour was extended a full year, appearing in many of the same cities. I really believed that 2017 would be the end of the tour. But then the VERY next tour is ANOTHER Pet Sounds tour??? I love Pet Sounds, and I love Brian's shows, but he really seemed bored at the 2017 show I attended. I'm grateful for any tour, but I think that both Brian and his fans would enjoy something new. Maybe even another Smile tour.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2017, 04:27:47 PM »

Let me first state that I have no inside info, but PS with a symphony is amazing stuff, and I think many people want new material in other parts of the show that haven't been heard before.  I have a strong feeling that this will work out and be worth the ticket price alone.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:41:57 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
KDS
« Reply #160 on: December 18, 2017, 05:08:33 PM »

Here I am eating my words again. I'll consider The Kennedy Center. Adding the National Symphony Orchestra does wonders. They made Mike and Bruce sound immaculate in 2016.

That being said, I see the cheapest tickets are $50...and of course VIPs get up to $500...a few words of advice to anyone considering...the concert hall is not created equal. Mid-way back on the floor (orchestra) is about the only place you want to be. The sound is atrocious up in the mezzanines BUT, the absolute worst is in front. These poor shmucks buying VIP packages are really going to have the worst of it. The first five rows or so of the concert hall is just awful. I don't know what it is. It's like the sound goes over top of you. It's very muffled and fuzzy.

I'll consider this one, but if regular orchestra seats are much over $100, I don't know if I can justify it.

We were considering it, but I think we're passing.  Its a weeknight and we'd need a babysitter. 

Plus, that show in Bethesda last September was soooo good that I want that to be my last memory of PS live.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 18, 2017, 06:07:37 PM »

We were considering it, but I think we're passing.  Its a weeknight and we'd need a babysitter. 

Plus, that show in Bethesda last September was soooo good that I want that to be my last memory of PS live.

That's the other piece...it's such a risk with Brian. It looks like this will be the first night of these symphonic shows and I don't think he's ever had a good opening night.
KDS
« Reply #162 on: December 18, 2017, 08:13:22 PM »

That's the other piece...it's such a risk with Brian. It looks like this will be the first night of these symphonic shows and I don't think he's ever had a good opening night.

Thats true, especially with the uneven performances of the PS album.  For a BB show in 2018, I think I'll keep my fingers crossed for an Al show, or a Brian Xmas show. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: December 19, 2017, 06:32:19 AM »

I caught opening night on the 2015 NPP tour, and Brian and the band were hot. Not rusty in the slightest. If anything, I'd say Brian comes across better when he's had a break (whether months or days), and it's usually when he's on the second or third night in a row that his energy sometimes starts to drop.

I'm by no means an apologist for Brian tours. I've seen him over a dozen times and some shows are better than others. The weird thing about the last couple years of PS shows is that the *first set* continually shows Brian more upbeat and happy and energetic than he has been in years, while the second set shows him more detached and bored than I've seen him in years.

But ultimately, I don't think the 2018 dates are primarily targeted at superfans that have already seen multiple shows. Not that he's playing all far-off, brand-new markets or anything, but I think the general idea is to do some additional venues that haven't had him lately or at all and/or are asking for additional shows.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: December 19, 2017, 11:00:57 AM »

Added another date to the top post: 5/19 in Viera, FL.

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 19, 2017, 12:48:17 PM »

Let me first state that I have no inside info, but PS with a symphony is amazing stuff, and I think many people want new material in other parts of the show that haven't been heard before.  I have a strong feeling that this will work out and be worth the ticket price alone.

I'm sticking with this assessment.  I'll let you know if I'm wrong about there being new material for hard-cores.

If Brian's inspired and has the sound he wants, he does very well.  I think the orchestra will work for him.  Yes, sometimes he gets tired and he's even more prone to getting bored - maybe even more than some of us who are asking for more deep cuts.

I've been reading that ABBA will be doing a world tour in 2019 as holograms appearing before a live band (good for them for having all that great film footage to work with).  I think it's them in their 20's/30's when they had all that energy.  Pick your options, do you want living BBs or holograms?  No criticism intended toward ABBA - I think its a really creative (and probably lucrative) idea.  
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:49:35 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
KDS
« Reply #166 on: December 19, 2017, 08:14:55 PM »

I'm sticking with this assessment.  I'll let you know if I'm wrong about there being new material for hard-cores.

If Brian's inspired and has the sound he wants, he does very well.  I think the orchestra will work for him.  Yes, sometimes he gets tired and he's even more prone to getting bored - maybe even more than some of us who are asking for more deep cuts.

I've been reading that ABBA will be doing a world tour in 2019 as holograms appearing before a live band (good for them for having all that great film footage to work with).  I think it's them in their 20's/30's when they had all that energy.  Pick your options, do you want living BBs or holograms?  No criticism intended toward ABBA - I think its a really creative (and probably lucrative) idea.  

Ronnie James Dio is also touring as a hologram.  I fear this is where live (?) music is heading.  Im fine with playing to a video like The Beach Boys do to Carl and Dennis for one song each, but I wouldnt want to see a hologram on stage for a whole show. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 19, 2017, 08:57:44 PM »

No sir. I am not paying standard concert prices for that for anyone. I'd pay about ten bucks for that, like I do for a ticket at a movie theatre, because that's all it really is.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: December 19, 2017, 09:00:12 PM »

Let me first state that I have no inside info, but PS with a symphony is amazing stuff, and I think many people want new material in other parts of the show that haven't been heard before.  I have a strong feeling that this will work out and be worth the ticket price alone.

I'm sticking with this assessment.  I'll let you know if I'm wrong about there being new material for hard-cores.

If Brian's inspired and has the sound he wants, he does very well.  I think the orchestra will work for him.  Yes, sometimes he gets tired and he's even more prone to getting bored - maybe even more than some of us who are asking for more deep cuts.

I've been reading that ABBA will be doing a world tour in 2019 as holograms appearing before a live band (good for them for having all that great film footage to work with).  I think it's them in their 20's/30's when they had all that energy.  Pick your options, do you want living BBs or holograms?  No criticism intended toward ABBA - I think its a really creative (and probably lucrative) idea. 

Ronnie James Dio is also touring as a hologram.  I fear this is where live (?) music is heading.  Im fine with playing to a video like The Beach Boys do to Carl and Dennis for one song each, but I wouldnt want to see a hologram on stage for a whole show. 

Oh hell no.  I don't like that idea one bit

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 19, 2017, 10:59:52 PM »

The only way I would be remotely interested in a hologram show/tour of an artist is if it were Jimi Hendrix, and only if somebody discovered a totally unknown to exist concert film of him, making it totally "new" to fans.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: December 19, 2017, 11:16:25 PM »

f*** that,  I'd pop a blu ray in.

Of course,  I say this as an EDM artist , in a field where live performances usually consist of laptops, microphones,  and a light show, I dunno LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
13thBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 20, 2017, 06:07:37 AM »

Wow!!!  I am a Brian Wilson fan...at the very least.  Personally I don't truly believe that he can handle another long and demanding schedule of tour dates.  YES...the new album will have to be supported in some meaningful way and one would have to think that it'll be recorded and ready for release sometime within these next 6 months or so.  Maybe a package of 2 or 3 shows every other night in just ONE hand-picked city and taking place in special and entirely proper acoustically wonderful locations/venues.   These stops should be spread out between mid May and mid December.  That would work.   There needs to be real time off between tour stops...like maybe 9 or 10 days...thus limiting the showcasing of the new l.p. to as few as just 15 or 16 specific locations.

Brian's music is geared toward vocal performance.  If he is to participate in a qualitative and meaningful way he has to be allowed the time to keep his instrument in working order. Otherwise ... It's a disservice to the reason for taking the new album out for a ride let alone to the fans and to Brian D. Wilson himself.  He deserves at this point to only be showcased at his BEST.  Either that or just give him but a baton...and then...strike up the band.  Think that'd fly?  I don't.

The Pet Sounds 50th [and 51st] Anniversary Tour was a chance for all of us to come out and enjoy...and boisterously yell "THANK YOU Brian!!!"  But that's done now.  

Going forward I demand that Brian be presented with artistic dignity.  Don't 'Old Blue Eyes' him out the door.  He deserves FAR better than that.  So does his band.  So do we.

I lived in Pompano Beach. There is no dignity there, trust me. I wish Brian were allowed to just retire and take a step back from touring so much.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: December 20, 2017, 06:57:48 AM »

There's an Orbison hologram tour hitting the UK soon (might be the same company/technology that is doing the Dio show). It's pretty gross overall I'd say. I mean, I guess there's something of an extra "missed opportunity" with Orbison as he died at age 52 and had barely started his career resurgence when he died. I guess on the scale of "justifiable", he's a bit more so simply due to not having been touring constantly as recently as a few years ago. But it's still icky and tacky.

I dig some of what Orbison's sons are doing (expanded "Black and White Night" Blu-ray, deluxe "Mystery Girl" reissue, reissuing the MGM era stuff including a full unreleased album), I'm a bit iffy on others (the symphonic overdubs album), and have been disappointed by yet others (the hologram, the continuous hits compilations).

But the BBs, in various incarnations, are still touring as they head towards 80 years old and the band's 60th anniversary. Hopefully we won't have to deal with prospects of holograms for them any time terribly soon.

But yeah, kind of along the lines of what Billy said, instead of doing Dio or Orbison or BB holograms, just put out some more DVDs or Blu-rays or something. Most of these artists have an archive full of stuff (especially live stuff) that hasn't been released. Just put *that* stuff out.

Also, I've seen the Dio hologram on YouTube and it never doesn't come across as a gimmick. Is it better than just doing like those Elvis shows where they just play live with Elvis on a video screen behind them? I'm not really sure.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:18:42 PM by HeyJude » Logged

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 20, 2017, 07:03:16 AM »

I wish Brian were allowed to just retire and take a step back from touring so much.

He is allowed to. Brian has stated numerous times that he has no desire to retire. He is interested in both recording and touring. In fact, he has even recently said he is more interested in touring than recording! He has his bad days...he will hear auditory hallucinations on stage from time to time, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to tour.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 07:06:12 AM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
13thBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 20, 2017, 07:08:25 AM »

I wish Brian were allowed to just retire and take a step back from touring so much.

He is allowed to. Brian has stated numerous times that he has no desire to retire. He is interested in both recording and touring. In fact, he has even recently said he is more interested in touring than recording! He has his bad days...he will hear auditory hallucinations on stage from time to time, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to tour.

My comment comes from watching his performances on YouTube where he looks so sad and miserable. I always felt, personally, that he is being pushed out there to perform to keep his lifestyle the way it is. When you got to a Mike and Bruce show, there is fun but with Brian it just looks so somber, like a funeral. Thank God for Al and the band.

But if you say he has stated repeatedly that it is what he wants, so be it. He is coming to my area in May 2018, I will surely be there.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 45 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx