gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:35:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 272462 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2017, 05:54:42 PM »

Ugh.  Roll Eyes
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2017, 04:08:16 AM »

Whoever was behind the ‘final’ wording in the marketing must be regretting it now.

I doubt it.  "Final" pushes people to buy tickets - it's a marketing thing.  There was probably never any intention to retire PS forever.  Remember that "final" was also used for PS performances in 2006. 

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2017, 06:52:01 AM »

I'm far less concerned with how previous PS shows/tours have been billed as far as being "final" shows, etc., than I am with Brian's clear apathy towards doing the PS songs.

We established long ago that there's always the chance of more PS shows. People complained in *2013* when Brian randomly did the full PS at a couple of gigs that they were going back on the advertising from the 2006/2007 shows in terms of being "final" shows.

Given how upbeat Brian was during even the longest tour stretches this year for the non-PS stuff, and how clearly bored he is of PS, I figured they had to move on to something else this year.

Which they may still do; I'm not convinced they're going to build another 75-date PS tour around those Nashville shows.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2017, 08:47:02 AM »

2006: these are the last Pet Sounds performances ever
2013: just a few Pet Sounds performances, but it's an exception
2016: ok more Pet Sounds performances
2017: alright but these are really the very last Pet Sounds performances ever
2018: ok more Pet Sounds performances

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »

Proving that by 2013 anybody previously aware of this phenomenon had nobody but themselves to blame if they thought that subsequent tours would definitively be the final performances.

This was actually established in *2007*; some folks may have forgotten that they did some November 2006 PS dates, and then booked three west coast shows in January 2007. I vaguely recall people complaining back in late 2006 when the three additional January 2007 dates were announced.

I never make any assumptions about what might be the final shows of this or that. I'm sure some of us remember buying tickets for Brian's first tour in 1999. Many of us bought the tickets in part because we figured there was a good chance this would be the *one and only* chance to ever see him.

I would be fine with more PS shows, regardless of how previous tours were billed, if Brian was into singing the songs.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Curt Lambert
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2017, 11:04:09 AM »

I wager these could be the only Pet Sounds shows in 2018. These three Nashville Symphony dates have been scheduled for about a year. They probably requested the Pet Sounds material as this was booked in the middle of the Pet Sounds tour. I would prefer Brian be touring something else, but I don't have a major issue with it. I have tickets to two of the shows. LOL
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2017, 02:31:13 PM »

I am sure the album performed with an orchestra behind it will be amazing. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2017, 11:22:40 PM »

In a better world, Brian could do a Wild Honey show, or Sunflower, or even Beach Boys Today....but the general public doesn't even know those albums.
I'm surprised, though, that Mike and Bruce aren't doing an Endless Summer show.
KDS
« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2017, 05:16:08 AM »

In a better world, Brian could do a Wild Honey show, or Sunflower, or even Beach Boys Today....but the general public doesn't even know those albums.
I'm surprised, though, that Mike and Bruce aren't doing an Endless Summer show.

I wrote in length on the PSF that there are several BB albums that come very close being classic albums, not just classic BB albums, if not for a song selection or two.   (ie. Putting the talk track on Today). 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2017, 07:26:47 AM »

I've said it before; Brian is unlikely to tour a full album outside of PS or "Smile", and even less likely to venture outside of the 60s where other members wrote and sang their own stuff.

I just don't see Brian (even with a backing guy singing it) doing "Tears in the Morning."

"Wild Honey" seems more likely than others, as it's at least mostly Brian-penned material.

As I've already mentioned as well, I really don't need to see any more albums performed in full. A wide-ranging, interesting setlist is just fine.

KDS
« Reply #135 on: November 16, 2017, 07:43:13 AM »

I've said it before; Brian is unlikely to tour a full album outside of PS or "Smile", and even less likely to venture outside of the 60s where other members wrote and sang their own stuff.

I just don't see Brian (even with a backing guy singing it) doing "Tears in the Morning."

"Wild Honey" seems more likely than others, as it's at least mostly Brian-penned material.

As I've already mentioned as well, I really don't need to see any more albums performed in full. A wide-ranging, interesting setlist is just fine.

I remember a year or two ago, he mentioned that he really liked Summer Days Summer Nights.   I think it would be more likely to see Brian do something like Today or SDSN than anything post 1967.   And even with those, it wouldn't likely be the entire albums.  Today would obviously cut Bull Session, and I'd think they'd still do the single arrangement of Rhonda.  For SDSN, I'd be shocked if Brian did Bugged at My Old Man. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 16, 2017, 09:21:06 AM »

One more SMiLE tour would be the kicker. Outside of that, I don't see any "album" oriented tours surviving. They just don't have the flow or the hit-power.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2017, 07:14:17 AM »

Perhaps more insight into why they might be apt to book more "Pet Sounds" shows:

https://www.pollstar.com/article/stones-top-concert-pulse-brian-wilson-pj-masks-2-chainz-debut-133825

Brian is on the "Global Concert Pulse Chart" at #54:

Pollstar's Global Concert Pulse chart ranks tours by average gross over the last three months.

The legendary Brian Wilson spoke to Pollstar in January about the Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary World Tour, which ran from April to October and also played Europe. 

That was an extension of the tour that originally started in March of 2016 and played into December, taking in markets including Australia, Israel, Japan and Dubai to go along with a North American run.

Recent box office reported to Pollstar for the Wilson tour include Oct. 14 at the Pacific Amphitheatre at Costa Mesa, Calif., which sold 4,623 tickets and grossed $354,351, Sept. 23 at Radio City Music Hall (3,674, $324,197), and Aug. 3 at the Kelvingrove Bandstand and Amphitheatre in Glasgow, Scotland, which sold 2,250 and $117,522.

Wilson’s average gross on the Concert Pulse chart was $172,319, with ticket sales at 2,047 and an average ticket price of $84.17.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2017, 11:50:53 AM »

https://www.pollstar.com/concert-pulse

Wow! The Stones are number 1 with $10m. I’ll be Chicken Sh!t all day long for some of that.  LOL
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 30, 2017, 02:45:46 AM »

Go to BW website.. 2018 is a PET SOUNDS tour.. I cant believe this..!!!!! I saw this 2017 show  3 times.. Indio ..Hollywood.. Costa Mesa.. Indio and Costa Mesa.. were shorter shows with no breaks.. Songs were cut from the 1st set..  I cant see goin again in 2018 unless there is a revamp of songs.. saw PS twice in 2000.. twice in 2006-7..and once in 2016.. Thats  8 times total.. And 3 times Smile 2004 5..  One time TLOS.. Grand total since 1999 23 times i believe or more..                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         y                                                                        Its funny i was listening to BW 2002 england a couple of shows recently pet sounds tour and the 1st set had LOTS of deep cuts and must have had 20 songs in it.. Stuff from surfs up.. friends.. smile.. ballads from today lp side 2.. I yearn for those days again.. Solo songs and deep cuts.. im sorry i sound like a broken record.. i keep bring this up.. i mean in 2002 BW sang Forever and Good Timin in tribute to DW CW.. i guess you cant go back they say
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2017, 02:52:17 AM »

At Costa Mesa they sold over 4600 tickets.. Well where i was sitting it was almost full so they must have gave away ALOT of tickets.. Nothin wrong with that.. But it hold 9600.. It used to seat 17000 before they got rid of lawn section .. Every year from 1983 thru 1992 BB played there every summer.. Lots of BB memories in that venue for me.. Saw BB every year there..
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2017, 03:01:18 AM »

I'm surprised that 2018 will be a Pet Sounds tour again. I guess maybe that's the positive rub on ticket sales. But after having seen 2 Pet Sounds shows last year, that particular segment of the show was fairly dissappointing. Brian's almost lounge lizard type of spoken performance was not really good. I wouldn't go to see Pet Sounds performed like that again, and frankly I don't think I would do another Pet Sounds show, because I've also seen it a few times, and the shows were better a few years ago when Brian seemed more interested in performing Pet Sounds. Just my opinion.
KDS
« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2017, 05:59:49 AM »

Hopefully, the Pet Sounds 2018 "Tour" is no more than the three scheduled dates with an orchestra. 

What will the first look like?

Brian Wilson - Pet Sounds - 2018 - For Really Reals The Final Final Performances
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2017, 06:24:04 AM »

Go to BW website.. 2018 is a PET SOUNDS tour.. I cant believe this..!!!!! I saw this 2017 show  3 times.. Indio ..Hollywood.. Costa Mesa.. Indio and Costa Mesa.. were shorter shows with no breaks.. Songs were cut from the 1st set..  I cant see goin again in 2018 unless there is a revamp of songs.. saw PS twice in 2000.. twice in 2006-7..and once in 2016.. Thats  8 times total.. And 3 times Smile 2004 5..  One time TLOS.. Grand total since 1999 23 times i believe or more..                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         y                                                                        Its funny i was listening to BW 2002 england a couple of shows recently pet sounds tour and the 1st set had LOTS of deep cuts and must have had 20 songs in it.. Stuff from surfs up.. friends.. smile.. ballads from today lp side 2.. I yearn for those days again.. Solo songs and deep cuts.. im sorry i sound like a broken record.. i keep bring this up.. i mean in 2002 BW sang Forever and Good Timin in tribute to DW CW.. i guess you cant go back they say

The article I cited above indicates, if we couldn't already guess, why they would continue to book PS shows/tours. It's hugely lucrative. It is true that, at this stage, the PS tours are targeted at a wider audience, and that's probably part of why the first set of the the last few tours has had a lot of "meat and potatoes" numbers. But they have done a good amount of what I would still call "deep cuts"; they just haven't changed much from show to show or tour to tour. But they've done in the last couple years:

Honkin' Down the Highway
The Night Was So Young
Funky Pretty
Feel Flows
Aren't You Glad
I'd Love Just Once To See You
Let The Wind Blow
Hushabye
Susie Cincinnati
She Knows Me Too Well
Wake the World

Other at least "moderately deep" cuts:

Girl Don't Tell Me
Salt Lake City
Little Honda
Please Let Me Wonder
Monster Mash
Drive In
Add Some Music To Your Day
Marcella (admittedly only once or twice)
Al's songs (Then I Kissed Her, Cotton Fields, California Saga:California; all songs common in the last few years but somewhat "deep" in a larger context)

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 30, 2017, 08:19:28 AM »

Not to sound like a BriMel apologist, but I can understand why his shows have become geared towards the oldies. That is the era that Brian was not only the most involved, but it was the most prolific and it defines his legacy. Plus Brian doing oldies IS different from Mike doing oldies in terms of how they are presented. Mike and the touring band (even when Carl was still alive) presents the oldies like it is the soundtrack of a bitchen beach party. Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, sometimes you need to just occasionally turn off your brain. But Brian presenting the oldies with that band, you are reminded of how innovative and special that music was as you pay respect to the guy that wrote and created that music
Which is why I always rolled my eyes anytime someone says "Brian's shows are just like Mike's!"

No, they aren't. Really
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:20:15 AM by CM Punky Brewster » Logged

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2017, 08:29:38 AM »

If they were truly selling the show to new markets, I would buy this line of thinking but frankly...they aren't. On the financial side of things, this is no different than how Mike and Bruce operate. Albeit, these Pet Sounds shows are vastly more expressive, artistic, and frankly...more musical. It's less of a party, and more of a celebration.

Regardless, let's celebrate some of the OTHER musical successes in Brian's career.....

I'm really not interested in seeing this show a third time in 2018, I know I'm in the minority. But Brian was perfection at The Strathmore in 2016 and I'd rather remember that, because he certainly was NOT in Baltimore just a month prior. In the same breath, I'm not interested in seeing Mike and Bruce. I had a fantastic front row seat this summer...had a great interaction with Mike singing his autobiography and chatting with many band members, but Bruce Johnston treated me like sh*t. I'm not putting more money in his pocket (from tickets at least).

On the otherhand, I am VERY excited for Al Jardine's storyteller outing...I REALLY hope this becomes a larger scale run than the current two venues.
KDS
« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2017, 08:35:11 AM »

Not to sound like a BriMel apologist, but I can understand why his shows have become geared towards the oldies. That is the era that Brian was not only the most involved, but it was the most prolific and it defines his legacy. Plus Brian doing oldies IS different from Mike doing oldies in terms of how they are presented. Mike and the touring band (even when Carl was still alive) presents the oldies like it is the soundtrack of a bitchen beach party. Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, sometimes you need to just occasionally turn off your brain. But Brian presenting the oldies with that band, you are reminded of how innovative and special that music was as you pay respect to the guy that wrote and created that music
Which is why I always rolled my eyes anytime someone says "Brian's shows are just like Mike's!"

No, they aren't. Really

I think both Brian and Mike's shows are right to revolve around oldies.   The Beach Boys top material was released from 1962-73, so I have no problem paying for a ticket to hear mostly those songs. 

But, with Brian's, I'd like to see him get away from the Pet Sounds sets since reviews of many 2017 shows showed that Brian didn't seem to put his all into the PS set like he said during the first set, and the encore. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: November 30, 2017, 09:15:01 AM »

If they were truly selling the show to new markets, I would buy this line of thinking but frankly...they aren't. On the financial side of things, this is no different than how Mike and Bruce operate.

In terms of trying to generate revenue, why would Brian's tour ever be any different from Mike's tour or anyone else's?

Brian's tour is clearly going where venues/promoters/ticket buyers want them, and they're selling the show that promoters want.

That being said, Brian's tour does *not* operate financially in the same fashion as Mike's tour. Brian's tour has *way* more overhead costs. Brian travels in more cushy accommodations, I believe they travel with much if not most of their tour rig/gear, and of course as we all know it employs *way more* musicians in the band.

Mike runs a lean operation, renting most of the gear in most cities, and has a smaller band. He does have to pay the licensing fee to BRI, which considering its power and pull, he's getting away with at a very cheap price. Plus, Mike collects 25% of that licensing fee back as a member of BRI.

So Brian, even in his hugely active touring schedule of the last two years, still does *less* shows than Mike does in a given year. So he has an even stronger incentive to maximize profit per show and overall, knowing that he won't be touring *all* year.

He has been able to book far more shows, and larger/more prestigious venues, with his PS tour.

That all being said, we don't yet know if all of Brian's 2018 shows will be PS shows. We also don't even know if it will be a heavy touring year in general. The website blurb implies we're going to get more than just the three Nashville shows. But he may do far fewer than the 70-100 shows he has done each of the last two years.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: November 30, 2017, 09:19:44 AM »

No, they aren't. Really

I think both Brian and Mike's shows are right to revolve around oldies.   The Beach Boys top material was released from 1962-73, so I have no problem paying for a ticket to hear mostly those songs. 

But, with Brian's, I'd like to see him get away from the Pet Sounds sets since reviews of many 2017 shows showed that Brian didn't seem to put his all into the PS set like he said during the first set, and the encore. 

There's no question that Brian's audience is going to be far more open to deep cuts (he has toured multiple full solo albums in concert). His audience skews younger, more of an indie crowd, etc. Mike's shows skew much older, a lot more senior citizens, etc.

The "PS" tours are about as mainstream as Brian has gotten, and yet he's still doing a TON of deep cuts at those shows. Let us not forget that, in the grand scheme of things, all but 3 or 4 of the PS songs are "deep" cuts. There's a reason even during the deepest of the deep cut theater shows Mike does, Mike has never gone past 6 or 7 PS songs. He's never tread into doing the instrumentals or "I Know There's An Answer", etc.

Brian's lack of enthusiasm for the PS set is, apart from fan setlist wish lists, the only truly legit reason to give pause to doing a ton more PS shows.

theradiantradicchio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2017, 07:38:20 PM »

About the PS tour, I think it depends.

Brian seems to be very tired to play it over and over again, but, it's definitely more lucrative and gets more attention than anything else.
People outside the U.S are not very used to the show, and there are countries Brian never played or haven't played in years. I spoke with Darian last month, asked him if there's a possibility of gig in Brazil, and he said they're trying, but they don't have financial conditions at the moment. If they ever have the opportunity to play in Brazil again (Brian only played here in 2004, one city and only 4 Pet Sounds songs on the setlist), they would probably have to do the PS tour. I believe it would be the smartest decision, financially speaking.

But when it comes to the U.S, he should definitely change and decrease the number of shows, at least for now.
I think his next album will contain new songs, and maybe 2/3 oldies as a bonus.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 45 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx