gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:14:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 272523 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2017, 11:41:05 AM »

This place is crazy toxic, from top to bottom, over a long period of time

And let me guess...it would be less toxic if negativity and criticism directed at Mike Love would be censored and scrubbed off the board?

This notion that this forum is "toxic" has been tried and failed - especially since the efforts to f*** this place over flopped miserably, mostly due to the massive egos and ineptness of the people who tried. But knowing in which circles and what specific people use the word "toxic" in similar ways, not just about this place but the people here too...they should look in the mirror before labeling something or someone toxic.

Want examples of the real toxicity that infected this place? The cup runneth over with 'em...

...Well, all I'm going to say is, postings like this -- and the next half dozen or so variations on "How dare you say this place is toxic!  F*** off!" -- don't give me much of a sense that the place has really chilled out, and that's why I check in so rarely these days.

Sorry,
Jon Blum

Sorry to hear you feel that way Jon, I just hope you've considered and heard all sides and understand exactly what happened prior to forming those opinions and posting them. All of it is archived.

Agreed.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2017, 11:54:33 AM »

Adding my thoughts on the matter. After being accused of being somebody I wasn't from AGD, GF and Billy were most fair in keeping me from being scrubbed from the board.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2017, 04:26:04 PM »

Adding my thoughts on the matter. After being accused of being somebody I wasn't from AGD, GF and Billy were most fair in keeping me from being scrubbed from the board.

The agdster, the former SS resident expert at Unleashing the Lies.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2017, 05:17:30 PM »

Brian's agent is shopping a short "Holiday Tour" right now. It would be Brian and Al (and The Band) performing The Beach Boys Christmas album and other BB/Brian tunes. They are looking for venues that did not book Pet Sounds. Tour would only be about 4 weeks long around Thanksgiving thru Christmas.

That would be great! I'd love to attend! Hopefully, they'd include a few songs from Brian's Christmas album, as well.

Me, too - along with a video maybe, if it's a limited event, or happens at all.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2017, 11:23:47 PM »

Cant imagine the Xmas tour happening unless its announced within the next week or so...wonder how old the info is about him shopping an xmas tour is?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2017, 10:03:44 PM »

This would have to be announced sometime early next week if they want to have time to sell tickets on these. I don't see it happening, but crazier things certainly have come through.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2017, 01:09:29 AM »

I read it as a tour for next year.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2017, 05:46:42 AM »

Let the man rest.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2017, 08:55:02 AM »

Let the man rest.

I hope he does. I don't know what markets they would have left to do this in unless it was truly just one concert in LA or NYC that could be filmed. I'd be down with that. But he doesn't need anymore stress on the road this year.
KDS
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2017, 09:01:18 AM »

Let the man rest.

I hope he does. I don't know what markets they would have left to do this in unless it was truly just one concert in LA or NYC that could be filmed. I'd be down with that. But he doesn't need anymore stress on the road this year.

Considering Christmas Tours are usually announced during the summer months, I'd be pretty surprised if a 2017 Christmas Tour materializes.  But, if it's on the table for 2018, I'm there. 
Curt Lambert
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2017, 01:14:59 PM »

Cant imagine the Xmas tour happening unless its announced within the next week or so...wonder how old the info is about him shopping an xmas tour is?

I saw the agent's email  to a buddy of mine who books/manages a venue in a major mid-west city and it was dated the second week of October.
Curt Lambert
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2017, 01:17:59 PM »

Let the man rest.

Considering Christmas Tours are usually announced during the summer months, I'd be pretty surprised if a 2017 Christmas Tour materializes.  But, if it's on the table for 2018, I'm there. 

On re-reading the email from the agent, it is for November-December of 2018, not 2017. Sorry for my over exuberance.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2017, 03:17:26 PM »

Let the man rest.

On re-reading the email from the agent, it is for November-December of 2018, not 2017. Sorry for my over exuberance.

Thank for clarifying. That's still great news!!! I hope it materializes. However, that leads me to believe there would not be many other performances in 2018, if they are still concerned about which markets Pet Sounds hit. That seems like a silly thing to be concerned with anyway, considering that at least 50% of this show will be new material since Pet Sounds will be dropped and the Christmas album will be added in.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2017, 06:15:56 PM »

Maybe he will be touring the R&R album next year?  Wink
Curt Lambert
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2017, 11:14:39 AM »

Maybe he will be touring the R&R album next year?  Wink

Yes, wouldn't that be great? I am actually glad the holiday tour is next year. Brian needs the time now to rest, write and record (if he wants to).
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2017, 09:53:33 AM »

Brian's twitter announced the shows in Nashville yesterday and there was a link to the website, which states that "2018 tour dates are being announced" and "Stay tuned as more dates are added".

Woohoo!
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2017, 12:09:04 PM »

This might be slightly off-topic, but is Brian losing what's left of his range?...or does he always sound like that at the end of a tour?  I saw the New Bedford show and his voice seemed weaker than I expected?  Before that, the latest videos/recordings I had heard were from the C50 live album. 
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2017, 02:11:58 PM »

This might be slightly off-topic, but is Brian losing what's left of his range?...or does he always sound like that at the end of a tour?  I saw the New Bedford show and his voice seemed weaker than I expected?  Before that, the latest videos/recordings I had heard were from the C50 live album. 
Nah, Brian just is a mood-kind of singer. During last year and this year I've heard him sing super strong and beautiful with a great voice and in the same shows very weak-dylan-talk-like. It just depends on the songs and days. I think he has a lot better voice than most people in his age. He just uses it in weird ways sometimes.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2017, 06:55:33 PM »

Nah, Brian just is a mood-kind of singer. During last year and this year I've heard him sing super strong and beautiful with a great voice and in the same shows very weak-dylan-talk-like. It just depends on the songs and days. I think he has a lot better voice than most people in his age. He just uses it in weird ways sometimes.

Thanks RiC. I was worried this might be the beginning of the end. Good to know that's not the case.
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2017, 09:03:09 AM »

So I just saw on FB that the May 2018 shows in Nashville will be Pet Sounds shows.  And on the tour page on bw.com, the headline is "2018 Pet Sounds Tour".  
Really?
Isn't it a little cray to do the same show for going on three years now?  And it's not like the Nashville market hasn't had a PS show - I saw him perform PS at the Ryman Auditorium in September 2016.  And while I have never seen a bad Brian show, in Rosemont last month, he was definitely more into the Wild Honey set than PS.  
I mean, I'm still going to see Brian if he comes my way.  And it's an embarrassment of riches to be all like, "Pet Sounds, AGAIN??" when 20 years ago I never thought I would ever see Brian in concert.  But still...it would be nice to have a Smile tour again, or more Wild Honey, or the 1988 album (Rio Grande, anyone? Smiley
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:03:50 AM by Margarita » Logged

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
KDS
« Reply #120 on: November 13, 2017, 09:09:49 AM »

So I just saw on FB that the May 2018 shows in Nashville will be Pet Sounds shows.  And on the tour page on bw.com, the headline is "2018 Pet Sounds Tour".  
Really?
Isn't it a little cray to do the same show for going on three years now?  And it's not like the Nashville market hasn't had a PS show - I saw him perform PS at the Ryman Auditorium in September 2016.  And while I have never seen a bad Brian show, in Rosemont last month, he was definitely more into the Wild Honey set than PS.  
I mean, I'm still going to see Brian if he comes my way.  And it's an embarrassment of riches to be all like, "Pet Sounds, AGAIN??" when 20 years ago I never thought I would ever see Brian in concert.  But still...it would be nice to have a Smile tour again, or more Wild Honey, or the 1988 album (Rio Grande, anyone? Smiley

Especially since such a big deal was made about the final performance of Pet Sounds in September. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2017, 10:03:50 AM »

It's quite obvious that "Pet Sounds" shows get better (and more) bookings, and even another year of PS shows would probably sell more tickets to the masses than a "regular" tour. So the problem (outside of our own personal preferences) with doing more PS show isn't that people aren't interested in it.

The potential problem is that Brian is clearly tired of singing the PS stuff. Maybe with six or seven months off, Brian might have some renewed enthusiasm for the songs. But the contrast between the first and second sets at his shows has become more and more pronounced over the last two years.

I don't think they need to do another "themed" tour as far as performing a full album. It would be nice to tie a tour to *something.* If not a new studio album, then perhaps a set of his demo and outtakes or something.

But I am a bit stunned they're booking more PS shows. Now, the three Nashville shows were booked MANY months ago, and it makes sense to do PS when there's a full orchestra.

So it's not impossible that he's doing those shows (and maybe a few others) as PS shows, but other non-PS shows may follow. But if he's just going to churn out another 50+ PS shows in 2018, then I don't see him not continuing to show a clear lack of enthusiasm for singing them. And yes, they will lose some hardcore fans who either don't want to see the lack of energy during PS, or don't want to pony up the money to see the same show he's been doing for 2-3 years, with Al and Blondie's songs barely changing either. But PS sells tickets, which is the only reason promoters are clearly still knocking asking to book more shows. Normally I wouldn't even find that to be a problem. If Brian and Al and everybody were younger and had 10-15 or more years of touring left, then even five years solid of PS wouldn't be problematic. But we're all getting older here, so I'd like to see something different sooner rather than later.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 13, 2017, 01:43:28 PM »

So does this mean he won't be touring behind a new album in 2018? Or is the new album going to be "Pet Sounds Live - Again"?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 13, 2017, 02:26:20 PM »

Most legacy artists aren't changing up their sets radically, anyway. A lot of 60s artists have been doing essentially the same shows for 20 years. My issue is the branding of this tour as the "final performances" starting two years ago. I've seen the "final performance of Pet Sounds" in an hour and a half radius of my home five times now! I'd actually love to see it again (more Pet Sounds songs generally mean less surf and car songs, which are not what I enjoy hearing at BW shows) (and also, Pet Sounds is my favorite album of all time, even if Brian croons it like Tony Bennett), but the branding should never have been that, especially this year, if they hand an inkling they'd book even more dates.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2017, 05:38:53 PM »

Whoever was behind the ‘final’ wording in the marketing must be regretting it now.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 45 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx