gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:42:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 272473 times)
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2017, 10:17:01 AM »

Brian's agent is shopping a short "Holiday Tour" right now. It would be Brian and Al (and The Band) performing The Beach Boys Christmas album and other BB/Brian tunes. They are looking for venues that did not book Pet Sounds. Tour would only be about 4 weeks long around Thanksgiving thru Christmas.

That would be great! I'd love to attend! Hopefully, they'd include a few songs from Brian's Christmas album, as well.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2017, 10:20:25 AM »

Brian's agent is shopping a short "Holiday Tour" right now. It would be Brian and Al (and The Band) performing The Beach Boys Christmas album and other BB/Brian tunes. They are looking for venues that did not book Pet Sounds. Tour would only be about 4 weeks long around Thanksgiving thru Christmas.

If true, I would hope they get it going and tickets on sale soon. There have been a few instances in past years when tickets went on sale for a show on very short notice, soon after a previous tour had ended, where tickets didn't move very fast.

I'd also wonder if they'd really be doing the entire BB Christmas album front-to-back as opposed to selections. That would certainly be intriguing.

I'm excited to see Brian tackle a full non-PS show with the same zeal he has seemed to have lately on the opening set of shows. The BB XMas album also has a good amount of leads that would be in Brian's range. It would be fun to see him energetically sing "Santa's Beard" and stuff like that.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2017, 10:22:47 AM »

That would be great! I'd love to attend! Hopefully, they'd include a few songs from Brian's Christmas album, as well.

I quite like Brian's arrangement of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen." But if they actually did the full BB Xmas album (a lot of ifs going on here of course), that would probably suffice for XMas content in the show.

Now, the big question is, would Al replicate his weird voice as heard on the original '77 version of "Bells of Christmas."  3D

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2017, 10:40:01 AM »

For this upcoming Christmas season??   That would be really cool, but I was hoping for a Nov-Dec 2018 Xmas Tour. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2017, 10:45:20 AM »

For this upcoming Christmas season??   That would be really cool, but I was hoping for a Nov-Dec 2018 Xmas Tour. 

Meh, who knows where Brian, or Al, or any of us will be a year from now. If Brian has the enthusiasm to tour behind it right now, I say go for it. If it's successful, they can always do it again next year.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2017, 10:46:56 AM »

Brian's Christmas album is one I've been pushing for to get a re-release and a revisit ASAP, because it truly is a great holiday album if you're into that kind of thing like me. I think it got overlooked when it was first released, apart from the usual idiots making the usual idiotic comments, but man...when I listen to it, the album holds up really well and it seems to have gotten better with time.

It's not only worthy of but due for a revisit/reevaluation if not a full campaign to start getting some airplay for these tracks on the various Christmas channels and stations which will be cranking up soon.

That can happen if it's pushed and plugged hard enough. A tour would be even better if they had the product to tour in support of readily available.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2017, 10:50:41 AM »

I quite like Brian's arrangement of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen." But if they actually did the full BB Xmas album (a lot of ifs going on here of course), that would probably suffice for XMas content in the show.

Yeah, that's why I settled for "a few", at most. But if it's billed as a "Holiday Show" they could get away with mixing a song or two into the non-Christmas album set (or the Christmas album set, for that matter). I'd be glad to hear just about any of those songs, including the bonus track, On Christmas Day. I'd miss Taylor's vocals in the blend on that material, though. One song I wouldn't be as excited about is Deck The Halls...I wonder if they'd feel somewhat obligated to perform that one since it was released as a single and was a top 10 AC hit. I suppose not. Who knows?

Now, the big question is, would Al replicate his weird voice as heard on the original '77 version of "Bells of Christmas."  3D

Or maybe a Child-of-Winter-Brian sighting? He could incorporate it into a song of his choosing  Grin

For this upcoming Christmas season??   That would be really cool, but I was hoping for a Nov-Dec 2018 Xmas Tour.  

Why wait? But, yeah, I'd be glad whenever it happened. If it happens.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:00:06 AM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2017, 11:07:06 AM »

Brian's Christmas album is one I've been pushing for to get a re-release and a revisit ASAP, because it truly is a great holiday album if you're into that kind of thing like me. I think it got overlooked when it was first released, apart from the usual idiots making the usual idiotic comments, but man...when I listen to it, the album holds up really well and it seems to have gotten better with time.

It's not only worthy of but due for a revisit/reevaluation if not a full campaign to start getting some airplay for these tracks on the various Christmas channels and stations which will be cranking up soon.

That can happen if it's pushed and plugged hard enough. A tour would be even better if they had the product to tour in support of readily available.

I recall maybe at least a small portion of why Brian's XMas album was lowkey in terms of performance was that it, if I'm recalling correctly, got caught up in Sony's huge case of biffing it with that "rootkit" issue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

I'm not even 100% sure if anyone determined for sure that Brian's CD was impacted as some others were. But that whole ordeal certainly didn't help the album, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:07:41 AM by HeyJude » Logged

KDS
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2017, 11:10:10 AM »

Meh, who knows where Brian, or Al, or any of us will be a year from now. If Brian has the enthusiasm to tour behind it right now, I say go for it. If it's successful, they can always do it again next year.

I'd love to see it either way, this coming Christmas season is bad for me schedule wise.   Sad
KDS
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2017, 11:14:17 AM »

I've heard a couple tracks from it on one of my Christmas Pandora channels, but never on the FM Christmas station here.   I agree 100% it's an overlooked Christmas classic. 

I'd at least like to see it put back on the shelves each year to sit at Walmart and Target alongside the classic Xmas albums by Bing, Elvis, Sinatra, TSO, and various comps for $5-$7 a pop.   Considering the renewed interest in BW since the release, I'm sure it would make an easy impulse buy "Brian Wilson put out a Christmas album?   And he does Oh Holy Night and God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman? "
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2017, 11:14:47 AM »

I recall maybe at least a small portion of why Brian's XMas album was lowkey in terms of performance was that it, if I'm recalling correctly, got caught up in Sony's huge case of biffing it with that "rootkit" issue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

I'm not even 100% sure if anyone determined for sure that Brian's CD was impacted as some others were. But that whole ordeal certainly didn't help the album, that's for sure.

I don't remember that rootkit controversy being much of a factor or an issue with the album's sales at least if fan discussions were any gauge, but I do remember there were a lot of pretty blatant attempts among trolls and the like to slag off on the album, to the point where if my memory serves, Brian posted an exclusive Christmas audio track, some started making idiotic comments, and Brian got truly pissed off to the point where he posted a reply to them in no uncertain terms. And when it got into people slamming the cover as "clip art" and saying it wasn't rock-and-roll enough for Brian, it turned out to be among the usual rabble-rousers of the sort who have been saying Brian should throw in the towel and retire from playing shows and making music since 1999 or so. But, of course, make sure to go see Mike's band... Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2017, 11:17:08 AM »

I recall hearing a few of the "new" Xmas songs (e.g. the title track) from Brian's XMas album in past years at drug stores and places like that. It has often played right alongside Carnie and Wendy's "Hey Santa."

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2017, 11:17:21 AM »

I've heard a couple tracks from it on one of my Christmas Pandora channels, but never on the FM Christmas station here.   I agree 100% it's an overlooked Christmas classic. 

I'd at least like to see it put back on the shelves each year to sit at Walmart and Target alongside the classic Xmas albums by Bing, Elvis, Sinatra, TSO, and various comps for $5-$7 a pop.   Considering the renewed interest in BW since the release, I'm sure it would make an easy impulse buy "Brian Wilson put out a Christmas album?   And he does Oh Holy Night and God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman? "

Exactly! All it would take would be a little push and some old-fashioned record plugging to get this back onto the shelves and into some playlists. I agree, those bins of Christmas albums at the retail stores are a great way to get some classic Christmas music, in fact that's where I got my treasured "Ventures Christmas Album" CD for something like 4.99 many years ago...among others.

I like that idea, whatever it takes to get people to listen to this music is fair game, it just has to be put into motion from the top.

KDS
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2017, 11:23:06 AM »

Exactly! All it would take would be a little push and some old-fashioned record plugging to get this back onto the shelves and into some playlists. I agree, those bins of Christmas albums at the retail stores are a great way to get some classic Christmas music, in fact that's where I got my treasured "Ventures Christmas Album" CD for something like 4.99 many years ago...among others.

I like that idea, whatever it takes to get people to listen to this music is fair game, it just has to be put into motion from the top.

Oddly enough, in recent years, I haven't even seen the Beach Boys Christmas album in the Christmas CD bins (although, one of those knockoffs with like 8-9 tracks from it are often there). 

But, heck, if Twisted Sister can have a Christmas album that shifts a bunch of copies, there's no reason Brian Wilson can't.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2017, 11:23:23 AM »

I want a BW Christmas show in my area! Afro

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2017, 11:29:11 AM »

I'd make it a point to try to go to a BW Christmas show! I've never had a chance to see him play any of the Christmas tunes live, if they did a full set that would be amazing.

Related note, I don't know why but the Christmas radio stations seem to have shifted to the "album" version of Little Saint Nick instead of the better and more exciting "single" mix, and I don't know why or how that decision was made. The single version/mix *kills* the album version especially as the percussion and chimes/mallets parts cut through the speakers no matter where you hear it.

KDS
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2017, 11:32:52 AM »

I'd make it a point to try to go to a BW Christmas show! I've never had a chance to see him play any of the Christmas tunes live, if they did a full set that would be amazing.

Related note, I don't know why but the Christmas radio stations seem to have shifted to the "album" version of Little Saint Nick instead of the better and more exciting "single" mix, and I don't know why or how that decision was made. The single version/mix *kills* the album version especially as the percussion and chimes/mallets parts cut through the speakers no matter where you hear it.

I'll have to listen for it this year, but I think the FM Christmas music channel in Baltimore still pays the single version of Little St Nick, but unfortunately, they seem to play far fewer tracks from the BB Xmas than they used to.   In the past it wasn't uncommon to hear just about any of the original songs or Frosty the Snowman.  Now, I only hear Little St Nick and Frosty. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2017, 11:38:42 AM »

I'll have to listen for it this year, but I think the FM Christmas music channel in Baltimore still pays the single version of Little St Nick, but unfortunately, they seem to play far fewer tracks from the BB Xmas than they used to.   In the past it wasn't uncommon to hear just about any of the original songs or Frosty the Snowman.  Now, I only hear Little St Nick and Frosty.  

The programming of these playlists can be a mystery. In Philly last year both the Oldies station and the all-Christmas FM station seemed to be spinning the lesser album mix, yet we were still getting at least 4 other tracks from the Christmas album (one was even using Man With All The Toys as a bumper/promo spot), and also playing The Wilsons (which is another Christmas album that grows better with age).

Frustrating too is how they jump on trends, like "All I Want For Christmas Is You". The original Mariah Carey cut was a stone-cold classic, as good as a tribute to the Spector holiday album's sound as anything I've heard never mind that it was a commercial hit. Yet they replaced that great track with one where Justin Beiber added new vocals with Mariah that were the same effect as putting ketchup and French's yellow mustard on top of a perfect cut of filet mignon, done medium rare. It adds nothing to the original and is ultimately fatuous. Yet, there's Beiber wailing "oohhhh, oh, ohhh, ohhhhh" instead of the fantastic original.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:39:18 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

KDS
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2017, 11:55:48 AM »

I'll have to listen for it this year, but I think the FM Christmas music channel in Baltimore still pays the single version of Little St Nick, but unfortunately, they seem to play far fewer tracks from the BB Xmas than they used to.   In the past it wasn't uncommon to hear just about any of the original songs or Frosty the Snowman.  Now, I only hear Little St Nick and Frosty.  

The programming of these playlists can be a mystery. In Philly last year both the Oldies station and the all-Christmas FM station seemed to be spinning the lesser album mix, yet we were still getting at least 4 other tracks from the Christmas album (one was even using Man With All The Toys as a bumper/promo spot), and also playing The Wilsons (which is another Christmas album that grows better with age).

Frustrating too is how they jump on trends, like "All I Want For Christmas Is You". The original Mariah Carey cut was a stone-cold classic, as good as a tribute to the Spector holiday album's sound as anything I've heard never mind that it was a commercial hit. Yet they replaced that great track with one where Justin Beiber added new vocals with Mariah that were the same effect as putting ketchup and French's yellow mustard on top of a perfect cut of filet mignon, done medium rare. It adds nothing to the original and is ultimately fatuous. Yet, there's Beiber wailing "oohhhh, oh, ohhh, ohhhhh" instead of the fantastic original.

Right, kinda Carrie Underwood's Do You Hear What I Hear, which I think is a poor man's version of the Whitney Houston cover, which replaced the definitive (IMO) Bing Crosby version.   

One of the reasons that, in recent years, I've been sticking to my Xmas CD collection which includes a lot of spins of BW, TSO, The Beach Boys, and Blackmore's Night. 
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2017, 10:47:41 PM »

I don’t think any tracks from the Gershwin record were performed aside from the full album shows, and none of the Disney songs were performed.

FWIW, there were a few shows in Australia where they did a Gershwin mini-set -- four songs IIRC, but I can only specifically remember "Rhapsody" (*breathtaking* with the full band acapella) and "They Can't Take That Away From Me".  I think they did a few other shows with those up over!

Far as I'm aware, he's never done the Disney album.

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2017, 12:36:04 AM »

I would absolutely love to see a BW Christmas concert. I see Brian and band, as well as the touring BBs, whenever I get the chance. As much as I love Pet Sounds, and was ecstatic when I first saw Brian play the album in it's entirety years ago, I actually got tired of hearing the entire PS album the last couple times I saw BW in concert, and I had the impression that Brian was rather tired of performing the entire album as well.

Absolutely! The single version of Little Saint Nick with the chimes, mallets, and sleigh bells is far better than the album version.

I've got six different Beach Boys Christmas CDs. Of those six CDs, Little St. Nick is found in its mono single version on four, the stereo album version on two, and a stereo version of the original single on two. But my favorite mix of the Little St. Nick single version is not found on any Beach Boys CD releases, appearing only on the 1992 EMI CD Legends of Christmas Past, which was the first time the single version appeared in stereo. The 1992 stereo version of the single was remastered by Kevin Reeves and features the vocals in stereo, whereas the 1998 stereo version of the single (on Ultimate Christmas and Christmas with the Beach Boys) features the vocals in mono.

(And for the sake of completeness I'll add that two of these six CDs, Ultimate Christmas and Christmas with the BBs are virtually identical, with one less track on the latter CD. Then there's The Beach Boys Christmas Album with and without bonus tracks, and a budget release of same missing two tracks. And I've got two versions of Christmas Harmonies, with the original white cover and the later light green cover. A couple of years ago I also purchased The Beach Boys' Christmas Album - Cardboard Sleeve - High-Definition Deluxe Replica, Collector's Edition, Limited Edition, Import, Remastered. It looked very cool, containing a red CD with a small Capitol rainbow label, but there was no way it was a "High Definition Deluxe Replica" -  instead it was an overmodulated distorted mess, which I returned to Amazon.)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 12:56:17 AM by Custom Machine » Logged
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2017, 12:42:36 AM »

This place is crazy toxic, from top to bottom, over a long period of time

And let me guess...it would be less toxic if negativity and criticism directed at Mike Love would be censored and scrubbed off the board?

This notion that this forum is "toxic" has been tried and failed - especially since the efforts to f*** this place over flopped miserably, mostly due to the massive egos and ineptness of the people who tried. But knowing in which circles and what specific people use the word "toxic" in similar ways, not just about this place but the people here too...they should look in the mirror before labeling something or someone toxic.

Want examples of the real toxicity that infected this place? The cup runneth over with 'em...

...Well, all I'm going to say is, postings like this -- and the next half dozen or so variations on "How dare you say this place is toxic!  F*** off!" -- don't give me much of a sense that the place has really chilled out, and that's why I check in so rarely these days.

Sorry,
Jon Blum
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 12:46:05 AM by Jonathan Blum » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2017, 05:20:25 AM »

Accentuate the positive like me 3D, then ANY place will stop being toxic. police

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Scaroline No
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2017, 07:01:18 AM »

I want a BW Christmas show in my area! Afro

Me too! I doubt it would happen in that short space of time, but I would consider traveling stateside for this depending on the date and location.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2017, 08:28:47 PM »

This place is crazy toxic, from top to bottom, over a long period of time

And let me guess...it would be less toxic if negativity and criticism directed at Mike Love would be censored and scrubbed off the board?

This notion that this forum is "toxic" has been tried and failed - especially since the efforts to f*** this place over flopped miserably, mostly due to the massive egos and ineptness of the people who tried. But knowing in which circles and what specific people use the word "toxic" in similar ways, not just about this place but the people here too...they should look in the mirror before labeling something or someone toxic.

Want examples of the real toxicity that infected this place? The cup runneth over with 'em...

...Well, all I'm going to say is, postings like this -- and the next half dozen or so variations on "How dare you say this place is toxic!  F*** off!" -- don't give me much of a sense that the place has really chilled out, and that's why I check in so rarely these days.

Sorry,
Jon Blum

Sorry to hear you feel that way Jon, I just hope you've considered and heard all sides and understand exactly what happened prior to forming those opinions and posting them. All of it is archived.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 45 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx