gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:37:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 272648 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2017, 06:07:31 AM »

Not fun at all G.F.  Many...not all...but many [myself included] decided to put a LOT of the old bullshit/the old MIKE bullshit in line with the rear-view mirror when TWGMTR and the reunion tour came together.  And then?  WTF!??!??!??!  And the chatter on line became increasingly more and More and MORE ridiculous.  And as 'chrome dome'/'hat boy' kept piling on in every G.D.'d interview...it reached the point where it was plainly obvious that virtually EVERY complaint about Love-less was indeed valid and verified.

There are No pictures of him in the Beach Boys section at BW dot calm.  [No pics of him save for the monkey in the hat in the Pet Sounds souvenir tour program either.]  As a Beach Boy...with those who COUNT he is a non entity.  He is, in actual fact, the leader of a tribute band who should merely be called the Beached Boys...'cause that's ALL they are.  Revenge and nourishment?  How's that workin' out for ya mickey...you ungrateful 1/2 miler. 

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2017, 10:31:59 PM »

Not fun at all G.F.  Many...not all...but many [myself included] decided to put a LOT of the old bullshit/the old MIKE bullshit in line with the rear-view mirror when TWGMTR and the reunion tour came together.  And then?  WTF!??!??!??!  And the chatter on line became increasingly more and More and MORE ridiculous.  And as 'chrome dome'/'hat boy' kept piling on in every G.D.'d interview...it reached the point where it was plainly obvious that virtually EVERY complaint about Love-less was indeed valid and verified.

There are No pictures of him in the Beach Boys section at BW dot calm.  [No pics of him save for the monkey in the hat in the Pet Sounds souvenir tour program either.]  As a Beach Boy...with those who COUNT he is a non entity.  He is, in actual fact, the leader of a tribute band who should merely be called the Beached Boys...'cause that's ALL they are.  Revenge and nourishment?  How's that workin' out for ya mickey...you ungrateful 1/2 miler. 
If the other BB's really feel that way about Mike, they could easily revoke his touring license.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2017, 01:33:24 AM »

This place is crazy toxic, from top to bottom, over a long period of time
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2017, 09:07:08 AM »

And let me guess...it would be less toxic if negativity and criticism directed at Mike Love would be censored and scrubbed off the board?

This notion that this forum is "toxic" has been tried and failed - especially since the efforts to f*** this place over flopped miserably, mostly due to the massive egos and ineptness of the people who tried. But knowing in which circles and what specific people use the word "toxic" in similar ways, not just about this place but the people here too...they should look in the mirror before labeling something or someone toxic.

Want examples of the real toxicity that infected this place? The cup runneth over with 'em...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2017, 09:14:51 AM »

Not fun at all G.F.  Many...not all...but many [myself included] decided to put a LOT of the old bullshit/the old MIKE bullshit in line with the rear-view mirror when TWGMTR and the reunion tour came together.  And then?  WTF!??!??!??!  And the chatter on line became increasingly more and More and MORE ridiculous.  And as 'chrome dome'/'hat boy' kept piling on in every G.D.'d interview...it reached the point where it was plainly obvious that virtually EVERY complaint about Love-less was indeed valid and verified.

There are No pictures of him in the Beach Boys section at BW dot calm.  [No pics of him save for the monkey in the hat in the Pet Sounds souvenir tour program either.]  As a Beach Boy...with those who COUNT he is a non entity.  He is, in actual fact, the leader of a tribute band who should merely be called the Beached Boys...'cause that's ALL they are.  Revenge and nourishment?  How's that workin' out for ya mickey...you ungrateful 1/2 miler.  

If this "place" is so friggin' toxic (which it certainly is NOT), then why the hell are you here??
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:18:06 AM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2017, 02:36:11 PM »

And let me guess...it would be less toxic if negativity and criticism directed at Mike Love would be censored and scrubbed off the board?

This notion that this forum is "toxic" has been tried and failed - especially since the efforts to f*** this place over flopped miserably, mostly due to the massive egos and ineptness of the people who tried. But knowing in which circles and what specific people use the word "toxic" in similar ways, not just about this place but the people here too...they should look in the mirror before labeling something or someone toxic.

Want examples of the real toxicity that infected this place? The cup runneth over with 'em...

GF - everything you said on this thread is clear and accurate.  Re:  the recurring troll/trolls, as a writer, I keep finding the same one-note, hateful little voice with a lot of IP addresses.  Happily, it no longer annoys me.  It's just boring.  Little loser/s begging for attention.  Ignoring them is the best approach, I think.  No one actually cares what they think here, as far as I can tell.  I certainly don't.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2017, 03:08:06 PM »

Re: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread
«Kid Presentable  Reply #52 on: Today at 01:33:24 AM »

"This place is crazy toxic, from top to bottom, over a long period of time."

1:33:24 AM?  What happened?  You get kicked out of bed?  Not my problem.  Sad to see that YOU'RE 'Love-less' too.  Small world.  Wheel and come again with your next 'presentation'.  Quote 'Mike'.  I did.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2017, 03:35:36 PM »

If the other BB's really feel that way about Mike, they could easily revoke his touring license.

Not so sure about that.  Dirty Mickey keeps signing contracts which all have to be honoured.  I'll bet he's got em signed into 2019 already.  AND...it's income.  They don't have to like him to benefit from him financially.  Maybe there's some 'nourishment and revenge' being re-directed right back at him.  Yo...Hat Boy.  You keep touring 'til you're at least 80.  Just keep sending the cheques.   In fact do 200 shows next year.  Oh and those shirts you wear?  Nifty. LOL

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2017, 06:49:21 PM »

Unless you have a copy of the license at hand, I’d wager you don’t have a fucking clue on this subject.

Earlier threads have established that Mike’s license is essentially non-revocable, unless he gives the other BRI members some explicit cause to take it away.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2017, 07:41:34 PM »

Incredible to think that around 98 the parties signed a contract with a time period of 20 years and counting. At the time I seriously doubt anyone thought this train would still be rolling.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2017, 12:20:47 AM »

That's a nice creepy reply, add some, good for you.  What makes you think I live anywhere near Pacific Standard Time?
To the others, I had a long reply typed up but decided that I don't want to put the energy into what will just be hijacking this thread.  If you actually care to read why I think this place is super toxic you can tell me where to take the discussion instead. 
I expect to see more replies from what I assume are otherwise reliable democrats, giving me some form of the 'Murica Love It Or Leave It argument.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2017, 10:56:11 AM »

Unless you have a copy of the license at hand, I’d wager you don’t have a fucking clue on this subject.

Earlier threads have established that Mike’s license is essentially non-revocable, unless he gives the other BRI members some explicit cause to take it away.

Pretty much.

I think the best way to put it is that it would be hugely impractical to try to revoke the license. The move *could* be made, but it would be tied up in litigation for the rest of their lives, certainly the rest of their feasible touring life (even assuming they all can tour into their 80s). And that "move" would be hard to muster the support for.

Setting aside the "they don't want to kick the hornet's nest" factor (which is maybe above all else why nothing has or would ever happen in terms of trying to revoke the license), what other factors are at play?

On the front end of things, are the votes there? Carl's estate (which I've been led to believe means mainly Jonah and Justyn in terms of who makes the calls/votes, etc.) has almost *never* sided against Mike on any issue as far as I know. And it makes sense; they have no personal stake in things. They're not potentially in or out of the band. With the touring license, it's a choice between being cut a nice free check, or no check. There are other internal BRI issues that would involve more long-term artistic/longevity/branding decisions (e.g. firing up a huge archival program). But when it comes to the touring license, it's easy free money for them.

I don't think Brian (or even Al) want to use the BB name themselves, so that takes away motivation right there on their part.

What's left? Taking away the license just to "make a point" would be about it, and Mike could make the argument (both practically and maybe even legally using legal theories including "laches") that he's been left to own devices using the name for almost 20 years and they don't have any justification to change things.

It may not be so much that they gave Mike a literally "irrevocable" license (they'd have to have *horrible* lawyers to not have put in riders covering extreme things like Mike being convicted of a crime, etc.). But it may be that even if they gathered the 3 votes to take it away, Mike could sue BRI and argue that they're all voting against the *corporation's* best interests. And financially that would sadly be true, as there would be no "replacement" if Mike's band were pulled off the market.

The only exception to all of that would be to pull the license to essentially force a reunion, and I don't think anybody feels that's a good idea.

But yes, we need to dispel the hugely inaccurate assertion that Brian or Al (or both collectively, or even both along with Carl's estate) could "easily" revoke Mike's license.

As things stand now, I think Brian and Al both tolerate it and prefer it only to the alternative of paying a ton of money to litigate it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2017, 12:19:28 PM »

Unfortunately, almost everything is at least somewhat toxic these days. I hope and pray it will all pass.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2017, 12:26:14 PM »

That's a nice creepy reply, add some, good for you.  What makes you think I live anywhere near Pacific Standard Time?
To the others, I had a long reply typed up but decided that I don't want to put the energy into what will just be hijacking this thread.  If you actually care to read why I think this place is super toxic you can tell me where to take the discussion instead. 
I expect to see more replies from what I assume are otherwise reliable democrats, giving me some form of the 'Murica Love It Or Leave It argument.

Ya...It was kind of weak.  That's all I had.  Sorry.  But then you didn't offer up much to begin with...now did you?  If you bothered to do any reading or research you would know that 'he' only reaps what he's sewn.  Grim ain't it?

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2017, 03:36:54 PM »

At least these comments keep threads going.  I think it's safe to say that anyone who knows what happens when the BB's vote, or the last time they actually voted on anything or why, is only known by a few people, and they're not about to talk.  "Easily revoked licence?"  That's pretty funny - that much is obvious from past comments and events - whether any of them still care? We don't know at this point.  Brian, Al and Blondie, when they wish to tour, obviously do very well, and they don't need the BB's license, just Brian's name.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2017, 05:11:19 PM »

BRI License stuff aside I doubt anyone considered Brian (or any of the Beach Boys for that matter) would still be touring in 2017/2018, considering its almost been 2 whole decades since the loss of Carl and a whopping 34 years since Dennis died. Shocked

Let's be honest though, as long as we get new Brian Wilson music that's all that matters at this point. Sure, I miss Mike and Bruce in the harmony stack, (but much prefer Matt's falsetto to Jeff) but Mike has been creatively spent for years regardless.

I've seen Brian five times since 2010, and new music is all I desire at this point (with or without Mike or Bruce) As long as Brian's in a good and creative place, all is good.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:12:23 PM by SamMcK » Logged
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2017, 08:55:16 PM »

Ya know there is a famous interview with DW back in 70"s that he said the BB will be touring when we get old and in wheel chairs..!!  the previous post reminded me of that interview.. LOL
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2017, 11:29:59 PM »

BRI License stuff aside I doubt anyone considered Brian (or any of the Beach Boys for that matter) would still be touring in 2017/2018, considering its almost been 2 whole decades since the loss of Carl and a whopping 34 years since Dennis died. Shocked

Let's be honest though, as long as we get new Brian Wilson music that's all that matters at this point. Sure, I miss Mike and Bruce in the harmony stack, (but much prefer Matt's falsetto to Jeff) but Mike has been creatively spent for years regardless.

I've seen Brian five times since 2010, and new music is all I desire at this point (with or without Mike or Bruce) As long as Brian's in a good and creative place, all is good.
New music? Really? Most fans just want the same old songs from decades ago at this point.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2017, 06:23:10 AM »

New music? Really? Most fans just want the same old songs from decades ago at this point.

Casual fans and non-fans with a passing interest may only be interested in the same old songs.

But the hardcore fan base and indie crowd, which comprises a good hunk of Brian's audience (not so much Mike's), *are* interested in new music from Brian as well as old deep cuts and the release of interesting archival material.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2017, 06:34:48 AM »

Regarding how long the BBs at various points in their history anticipated continuing to tour, I like to occasionally remind folks of what Elliott Lott claimed regarding Mike back in 1999:

“Mike has maybe five years of touring left"

Here's the full article: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25340.0.html

Now, I think it's pretty clear Lott was saying this primarily to bolster his argument that Al touring in 1999 was somehow taking away a very finite amount of touring revenue that Mike was generating. I personally don't buy that Lott really thought Mike was going to be retired by 2004. But it's interesting to note that they probably didn't see the longevity of all of these guys touring into 2017.

Also, here's Mike from a 1993 interview:

Within the next five years I think I'll be doing something else. As a matter of fact a TM guru told me recently that I was destined to start a big world TM center in Northern California and that my true vocation in life was that. He said the band was just a prelude to my spiritual destiny, my life as a teacher of TM.

So in 1993 Mike envisioned possibly being done with touring by 1998.

Not to digress too much, but let us also not forget Mike's comments in 1992 regarding the idea of writing an autobiography:

So I guess there's no chance for a book?

Who would want to take the fucking time to go through garbage like that just to rectify garbage.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 06:37:38 AM by HeyJude » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2017, 06:45:43 AM »

Goldmine is the greatest Mike interview LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2017, 05:12:46 PM »

The Mike quote about doing something different is interesting. I think when Mike started to get more control around the time of Carl's illness and eventually full control, that may have changed his mind about touring since it was on his terms now.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2017, 11:49:27 PM »

The Mike quote about doing something different is interesting. I think when Mike started to get more control around the time of Carl's illness and eventually full control, that may have changed his mind about touring since it was on his terms now.
Yeah, things may have worked out differently if Carl was still alive and Al couldn't be kicked out of the band.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2017, 01:55:52 AM »

Unfortunately, almost everything is at least somewhat toxic these days. I hope and pray it will all pass.

Dove Nested Towers, thanks for the best post in this thread thus far.

Had a couple of beers earlier this evening, (including the outstanding Four Peaks Kilt Lifter), at  the SD Gulls vs the Sacramento ice hockey game, and decided to check this thread, for the first time, when I got home. After reading for awhile I realized I needed some libations to get me through the rest of the thread, with the result that I'm now on my third Manhattan. (For those into the finer aspects of those libations, all included a mix of either Jack Daniels Old No. 7, Jack Daniels Rye, or a combo of the two, along with Carpano Antiqua Formula Vermouth and Martini & Rossi Rosso Vermouth, with both Angustora Bitters and Angustora Orange Bitters, and with with either Amarena Toschi Black Cherries or Luxardo Maraschino Cherries.)

But back to this thread - I've been a fan of the BBs (although to a somewhat minor extent initially) since I first head Surin' on the radio in late 1961. So Dove Nested Towers post of, "Unfortunately, almost everything is at least somewhat toxic these days. I hope and pray it will all pass." most accurately expresses my sentiments.

As BW said, we could all use some Love and Mercy today. (And/or tonight, as the case may be.)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 08:24:16 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Curt Lambert
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2017, 10:09:04 AM »

Brian's agent is shopping a short "Holiday Tour" right now. It would be Brian and Al (and The Band) performing The Beach Boys Christmas album and other BB/Brian tunes. They are looking for venues that did not book Pet Sounds. Tour would only be about 4 weeks long around Thanksgiving thru Christmas.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 45 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx