gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:33:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 271368 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: March 23, 2018, 06:16:23 AM »

I've added this to the top post. I went to the festival's website, and it sounds like this will be a "Greatest Hits Live" show.

It kind of seems like Brian is just offering promoters either show and they're picking one (is the PS show more expensive?), so he's mixing up the two show types throughout the year apparently.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 26, 2018, 07:18:10 AM »

Brian is coming to Upac on July 22nd. They just posted it on Facebook. Pre-sale starts tomorrow. I think I will make this one  LOL
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: March 26, 2018, 07:23:34 AM »

Brian is coming to Upac on July 22nd. They just posted it on Facebook. Pre-sale starts tomorrow. I think I will make this one  LOL

Thanks for the heads up. I've added it to the top post schedule.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 02, 2018, 07:00:45 AM »

Al just posted a Christmas Album date at the Bergen PAC in December so we may be getting that Christmas tour after all

Update: Full Tour Info

http://www.brianwilson.com/holiday-tour/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 07:28:45 AM by baseball95 » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #454 on: April 02, 2018, 07:37:54 AM »

Very interesting. Three different tour formats in one year. Can't say this band isn't versatile. Will be very interesting to hear the deeper XMas cuts. Will also be interesting to hear Matt and Al Jardine on the "What I Really Want for Christmas" material.

KDS
« Reply #455 on: April 02, 2018, 07:40:58 AM »

Very interesting. Three different tour formats in one year. Can't say this band isn't versatile. Will be very interesting to hear the deeper XMas cuts. Will also be interesting to hear Matt and Al Jardine on the "What I Really Want for Christmas" material.

There are some gaps, so I'm hoping more shows get added.   The Beach Boys Christmas album was the first album I ever got from them, so I'd love to hear it live. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: April 02, 2018, 07:43:30 AM »

My guess is it will be the BB Christmas album, and probably only a few songs from Brian's "What I Really Want for Christmas." Would love to hear Matt do the falsettos on that 2005 stuff, though. Hopefully they'll do "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen", which is arguably the most impressive arrangement on the album.

KDS
« Reply #457 on: April 02, 2018, 07:49:59 AM »

My guess is it will be the BB Christmas album, and probably only a few songs from Brian's "What I Really Want for Christmas." Would love to hear Matt do the falsettos on that 2005 stuff, though. Hopefully they'll do "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen", which is arguably the most impressive arrangement on the album.

The website says the BB Christmas album in it's entirely. 

For WIRWFC, God Rest is easily my favorite cover.   I'm hoping for that, and the originals.   I wonder what arrangement of Man With All the Toys will be used. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: April 02, 2018, 07:54:25 AM »

Yes, the press release mentions the full BB Christmas album. That's why I'm guessing that, given the typical length and format of a Brian setlist, they probably won't do a ton of solo XMas songs. We'll probably get a first set much like the first set found in PS shows, with the Brian solo Xmas tracks (and/or other Xmas-themed tracks) either teased in the opening set, or tacked on to the second set.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #459 on: April 02, 2018, 07:55:46 AM »

I've updated the top post with the new tour dates.

I would imagine they'll pack that November-December timeframe as full as they can; there are a few viable gaps still in there. When they go to the trouble of rehearsing a full album, they'll probably want to get as much bang for their buck as possible.

KDS
« Reply #460 on: April 02, 2018, 08:13:20 AM »

Yes, the press release mentions the full BB Christmas album. That's why I'm guessing that, given the typical length and format of a Brian setlist, they probably won't do a ton of solo XMas songs. We'll probably get a first set much like the first set found in PS shows, with the Brian solo Xmas tracks (and/or other Xmas-themed tracks) either teased in the opening set, or tacked on to the second set.

I'm not expecting a lot from the 2005 album.   Christmasey is a very wordy song that might be difficult for Brian to do on a nightly basis.   

But, either way, he'll finally get to play piano on Santa Claus is Coming to Town. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 02, 2018, 08:38:18 AM »

Another Minneapolis kickoff? Al did the same in January and I believe the BWPS tour’s US leg also started here.

I’m conflicted about this. I’m not a fan of Christmas music in general or that album in particular. But it’s not without its moments—We Three Kings could be cool!—and of course you never know when it’ll be the last opportunity to see Brian.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 02, 2018, 08:46:18 AM »

So what is Blondie going to do for the Christmas album shows? Sing a rewrite of Feel Flows about Santa Claus or something Grin
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 02, 2018, 09:19:04 AM »

I hope they bring that show to Atlanta and add "Winter Symphony" and "Morning Christmas" to the setlist!
Til...I...@died
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 02, 2018, 10:11:21 AM »

So what is Blondie going to do for the Christmas album shows? Sing a rewrite of Feel Flows about Santa Claus or something Grin
SAIL ON SAIL ON SANTA
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: April 02, 2018, 11:43:20 AM »

VERY cool! Hoping for more dates to be added indeed!
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 02, 2018, 04:08:47 PM »

I hope they bring that show to Atlanta and add "Winter Symphony" and "Morning Christmas" to the setlist!
I hope so too.
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 02, 2018, 04:53:09 PM »

MPLS. Winter starts right after the Thanksgiving Turkey is almost cold.  Safe place to start. People light up their Christmas lights prior to this show.  A Child Of Winter would be my highlight to hear.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 02, 2018, 06:06:42 PM »

Anyone know who is eligible for the presales?  The ticketmaster website says that presales for the NY and New Jersey shows start tomorrow but doesn’t indicate who is eligible for presales. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 02, 2018, 06:57:27 PM »

Presale codes are on Brian Wilson's website.
Matt Etherton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 02, 2018, 07:45:03 PM »

I personally don't understand why someone would pay to see Greatest Hits Live, when the lead singer of most hits  (Mike Love) is touring as The Beach Boys. Why would seeing Brian sing the same songs (off key/out of tune) be better? It's kinda like a tribute to Mike Love oddly enough, in my opinion. Same for the upcoming Christmas Tour: Mike sang lead on the hits. He's the original voice. It would be like me going to see Peter Tork perform Monkees hits, when Micky Dolenz is touring as The Monkees. I prefer the original vocalist!  Now, before you get mad that I'm a Mike Love fan, Brian on tour doing his Beach Boys lead vocal songs, album cuts, solo stuff, that would be cool. I like them both.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 02, 2018, 08:09:37 PM »

I personally don't understand why someone would pay to see Greatest Hits Live, when the lead singer of most hits  (Mike Love) is touring as The Beach Boys. Why would seeing Brian sing the same songs (off key/out of tune) be better? It's kinda like a tribute to Mike Love oddly enough, in my opinion. Same for the upcoming Christmas Tour: Mike sang lead on the hits. He's the original voice. It would be like me going to see Peter Tork perform Monkees hits, when Micky Dolenz is touring as The Monkees. I prefer the original vocalist!  Now, before you get mad that I'm a Mike Love fan, Brian on tour doing his Beach Boys lead vocal songs, album cuts, solo stuff, that would be cool. I like them both.

If you are a fan of The Beach Boys beyond the basic most level, it is worth your money to at least see Brian Wilson once...period. Regardless of what he is doing.

I also think (if you aren't trolling) that your terminology is a bit misconfigured. I have posted a great many criticism of Brian's voice on this forum and have caught plenty of unnecessary sh*t for it. However, he is never off key or out of tune. His voice is strained and tired, but still very musically accurate.

I also think most fans of the Beach Boys are used to seeing multiple people tackle "generic" leads. For example, I'm pretty sure every official Beach Boy (sans Bruce & David) have sang the lead on "Help Me Rhonda". So I'm not sure why that is a logical point of reason in your eyes on a Beach Boys forum. Now, if we were in an alternate universe where Led Zeppelin reunited and John Paul Jones took all of Robert Plant's leads...I could see your point.  LOL
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 02, 2018, 11:25:00 PM »

I have been disappointed since the start of Brian's solo touring days that his shows mostly ignore his solo material, in favor of Beach Boys hits and album tracks (mostly) from the 60's. IMO, his voice is better suited these days to the songs on his solo albums. But of course, there's not a large audience for that material, so he's gotta play the old hits night after night. It's true that Brian and his band play a fair amount of deep tracks - they just don't happen to be from Brian's solo albums.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: April 03, 2018, 06:25:13 AM »

I think you're missing the point of what a Brian Wilson concert is. I don't mean in some vague "spiritual/emotional" way. I mean, you need to literally look at his setlists and you'll see what his prompt/ethos is for molding his shows.

That is, Brian's concerts have *always* been a showcase of his writing, his music. With a few exceptions, Brian's setlists feature songs he wrote or co-wrote. That's a very different prompt than Mike's shows, which feature simply songs the Beach Boys released at some point or another. So Mike does a bunch of songs he didn't have a hand in writing (e.g. "Little Deuce Coupe", "Surfer Girl", "Shut Down", "Don't Worry Baby", etc.), whereas Brian skips most of the well-known BB songs he wasn't involved with (e.g. "Kokomo", "Still Cruisin'", "Getcha Back", etc.).

But seriously, Brian's been touring solo for almost 20 years and you're still wondering why he sings "California Girls" and "Fun Fun Fun" at his concerts?

I'd also say, if you prefer hearing the original lead vocalist on songs, you'd surely have a problem with Mike's sidemen singing the lead for half of his shows, right? It makes immensely more sense to me to hear Al sing "Little Deuce Coupe" or Brian sing "Do It Again" than it does to pay to hear Scott Totten sing "Ballad of Ole Betsy", etc.

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 03, 2018, 08:43:33 AM »

I was really hopeful for the Pet Sounds tour coming back to my area, since I missed it last time. Instead we're getting the Holiday Show. On the one hand, I've never considered going to a Christmas music concert, but on the other hand, the Beach Boys Christmas Album is maybe my favorite for the season. And I've never seen Brian Wilson live. Think he'll play non-Christmas tunes as part of the show?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 45 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx