gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:47:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Touring Lineups  (Read 55822 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2020, 06:35:14 PM »

Yes, Ike seems to be, due to unfortunate circumstances, Jeff's permanent replacement on falsetto/rhythm guitar. We also have Christian playing rhythm too. Jeff seems to fill in when he can, or wants to, playing guitar throughout the show. When I saw the BBs in 2019, the band featured Ike, Totten, Christian, Foskett, and Stamos playing guitars! Definitively gave the group a great rocking edge that night! I spotted Stamos playing a few wrong chords during the show, so assumed his guitar was completely inaudible, but I heard it clearly on Forever, so perhaps his guitar playing is a similar deal to Bruce's keys being featured on Disney Girls
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2020, 07:49:40 AM »

Yes, Ike seems to be, due to unfortunate circumstances, Jeff's permanent replacement on falsetto/rhythm guitar. We also have Christian playing rhythm too. Jeff seems to fill in when he can, or wants to, playing guitar throughout the show. When I saw the BBs in 2019, the band featured Ike, Totten, Christian, Foskett, and Stamos playing guitars! Definitively gave the group a great rocking edge that night! I spotted Stamos playing a few wrong chords during the show, so assumed his guitar was completely inaudible, but I heard it clearly on Forever, so perhaps his guitar playing is a similar deal to Bruce's keys being featured on Disney Girls

There are at least a couple of other times in the show when Bruce's keyboard is audible in the mix: "Darlin'" and the first bridge of "Good Vibrations". Also, I think "Be True To Your School", since Tim only played organ & synth parts on that one, not piano. When I've seen them, anyhow, and there may be more.
Hang10Ben
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2020, 08:44:42 PM »

I did see a post or two from Mike Love at a concert back in February of this year where Jeff Foskett was an extra rhythm guitarist. Ike moved into Jeff's spot in rhythm guitar and Jeff became an occasional third rhythm guitarist.
Hang10Ben
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2020, 08:47:36 PM »

Andrew Clark played sax for Mike's group at shows in New England in 2014 and 2015 before Randy Leago joined the group in 2016.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2020, 05:09:21 AM »

Hang10Ben

I was fortunate enough to see the group with Totten, Ike, Christian, and Foskett (and Stamos if he counts) all playing guitar. Great big rock and roll sound. Perfect for the surf/hot rod numbers, and especially those wall of sound arrangements with the layered guitars.
Joanne Figueroa
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2020, 12:36:58 PM »

Just seeing this thread for the first time sorry. I don't know all the answers but maybe a few?
As for Ed Carter being no longer on the road in the mid 90's, it was because he was told the band was going in a "younger direction". 
Most of the backup band didn't leave of their own accord. A couple did yes. Phil Bardowell was one of them. Phil admits he didn't like some of the backstage drama going on at the time to put it in a nicer way.
Mike Kowalski was not on the tours in 74-78. He may have come in for a show or a couple in 78, but then Bobby was with them for most of 78 - 81. Bobby left in 1982 because he fell and injured his back and had to rehab it. Kowalski was in the band full time from that point on until the early 2000's.  Bobby was asked back in June of 1983 and left in February of 1988. He was asked to teach Matt his parts.
Ed Carter left the band temporarily in 1984 when Joe Chemay filled in for him as Ed's wife was due to deliver their second child.
Mike Love was also missing on at least two shows in June of 1983. Kings Island in Cincinatti Ohio, and Blossom Music Theatre in Ohio. Jeff and Al provided the leads on Mike's parts. I was at both of those shows.
Al left a couple times I belive due to he had Tinnitus. I think that was in the early 90's.
Jeff Foskett's statements about his affair leading to the band's wives in total distrust is absolutely true. It caused a lot of problems. Carl was not one to put up with that kind of upheaval. Jeff was acting as road manager for the band at the time as well.
Billy was not with the band in 1982, unless it was a few here and there gigs. He came back in 1983.

That is all I can think of for now. Hope it helps a bit?
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2020, 02:56:57 PM »

Hi Joanne,
And welcome (and best regards to Bobby)

Many thanks for the inside info (nothing really new there, to some of us especially the Jeff bit) However Joe was only (correct me if i'm wrong) on bass in 1980 when indeed Ed was also in the band but only mainly on Guitar ??
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2020, 03:26:57 PM »

Helps a lot...thanks Joanne!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Joanne Figueroa
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2020, 03:40:51 PM »

Hi Joanne,
And welcome (and best regards to Bobby)

Many thanks for the inside info (nothing really new there, to some of us especially the Jeff bit) However Joe was only (correct me if i'm wrong) on bass in 1980 when indeed Ed was also in the band but only mainly on Guitar ??

Carl preferred Ed on guitar, so I'm sure that was intentional. I think in effort to cut back costs on the band they put Ed back on bass, which of course he excelled at as well. I can't be totally sure of that however.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: September 25, 2020, 09:44:42 PM »

I know that Eddie was still on bass when the band played Lake Tahoe in January of '80, but Joe Chemay had taken over in the bass spot for the February/March tour (including the taping of their appearance on ABC's "Fridays" show, which was not broadcast until June). By April, Eddie was back, but this time on lead guitar, and Joe was still there on bass (incidentally, this was when Dennis was out of the band and Bobby was playing drums). In the post-concert radio interview with Brian and Bruce following the live broadcast of the April Philadelphia Spectrum show, it's mentioned that the record company asked them to "beef up" their live sound for the tour, hence bringing Eddie back to add a third guitar while keeping Joe on bass. This lineup endured for the European tour in June, except that Dennis was now back on drums. But by the time of the July 4th show in Washington D.C., Joe was gone and Ed was back to his usual bass duties.

Of course, with Carl out of the band for most of '81, you had Eddie on lead guitar to cover his parts, and Ernie Knapp on bass. However, there's a photo of the group onstage somewhere (the Hollywood Bowl, perhaps)? in 1982, with someone other than Ed playing bass. Whoever it is, he's in the shadows so it's hard to distinguish his face, but he's wearing a Pink Floyd "The Wall" tee-shirt...leading me to believe it's Joe (since he sang on that album). The photo is in John Milward's book "The Beach Boys: Silver Anniversary".
Hang10Ben
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2020, 01:01:20 PM »

It could be Joe or Ernie or even someone we don't even know about that was a one-shot fill-in.
Hang10Ben
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 03, 2020, 06:38:29 PM »

Musicians that were in Brian Wilson's touring band only in select shows in 1999 were Steve Dahl on rhythm guitar, percussion, and vocals, Chuck Solmar on percussion and vocals, and Jim Peterik on rhythm guitar and vocals.
Hang10Ben
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2020, 11:08:19 PM »

Another one-shot fill-in in Brian's group was Robby Scharf, who filled in on bass for Bob Lizik in 2007.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2020, 05:42:31 AM »

who is this playing rhythm guitar, behind Mike and in front of Randell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8rzziDj2jA
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2020, 09:40:20 AM »

who is this playing rhythm guitar, behind Mike and in front of Randell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8rzziDj2jA

That's Brian Sutherland, who did a stint of a couple of weeks (filling in for Christian Love) in October 2013.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Hang10Ben
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2020, 10:19:15 AM »

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Andy Paley filled in for Darian Sahanaja at a show in late 2002 after Mike D'Amico returned to the group.
Hang10Ben
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2020, 10:25:22 AM »

In Mike Love's group, Christian Love joined as a second rhythm guitarist for a show in 2004.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx