gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
622827 Posts in 25047 Topics by 3556 Members - Latest Member: 13thBB December 17, 2017, 12:11:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Touring Lineups  (Read 5544 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2017, 03:43:56 PM »

And it certainly made sense to have someone else available to play guitar if Carl needed to miss shows. Sans Carl, the touring band at that stage would have had *one* guitar (Al), and three keyboardists (Bruce, Meros, and Bonhomme), actually four as Richie Cannata sometimes played keys as well.

I know the days of the BBs being guitar-heavy were over by the 90s, but you gotta have at least one rhythm guitar *and* one lead guitar in the mix at all times to make it work and not be completely overrun with keyboards.

Yes - plus, I just don't see Al playing all of the iconic surf-guitar solos. With the possibility of Carl absences, they needed a ringer who could cover those parts.

By 1999, they had three guitarist in the band with Bardowell, Adrian Baker, and David Marks.

When did Bardowell leave? David's last show was July 4, 1999, so presumably at that point they were down to two guitarists. Did Bardowell leave before Scott Totten joined? I'm curious if at some point they were down to one guitarist again at any point. I see Bardowell still in the band in a July, 2000 pro-shot video on YouTube. Totten joined at the very end of 2000 as I recall. So perhaps there was a little overlap, or Totten essentially replaced Bardowell?

Re-looking up a Totten interview, it appears his first gig as a fill-in was 12/28/2000, and he permanently joined on July 5, 2001. 

I don't believe they've ever played a gig with just one guitarist (well, not since the early '67 Irish shows, where poor Al had to carry the whole load due to Carl's court-related absence). Scott filled in for Adrian at those December 2000 BB King Blues Club shows in NYC - then John Cowsill actually filled in on rhythm guitar at Bush's inaugural gala the following month (he had already subbed for Kowalski on drums a couple of times the previous October). By mid-July of 2001, Adrian was back, and Scott was back to fill in for Phil on their European tour that month - but Phil's departure ended up being permanent, and Scott stayed on. Adrian was out again the first few months of 2002, and was replaced first by a rotating cast of John Foster, Randell Kirsch, and John Cowsill (the latter was on rhythm guitar for a show I saw that April - he had been playing piano with them following Mike Meros' departure and Tim Bonhomme's move to the organ in mid-2001, but for this show Gary Griffin came in for piano, allowing John to play rhythm guitar). By that May, Adrian was back, until mid 2004, when Randell took over the spot. You probably know the rest.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2017, 09:24:01 PM »

Found some interesting shots that document various lineups on the "Rock in Houston" website, which apparently documents Houston tour stops for various bands.

Here's the February 12, 1981 show at The Summit, one of the hand full of early 1981 shows Carl did prior to his departure. You can see it's still of course the "1980 lineup" on stage:

Here's a May 14, 1990 show at The Summit. Foskett is still there. All four core BBs are there. Looks like Matt Jardine is also up on stage behind Foskett:

This is June 8, 1997 at The Woodlands Pavilion (don't let the weird late 80s style back drop fool you!). Carl is present (and, in my opinion, looking in pretty good shape compared to the scant other 1997 tour pics that are out there), and Tim Bonhomme and Chris Farmer are there (no Phil Bardowell yet as far as I can tell):

A few more of Carl from that '97 gig. Again, all things considered, he's looking pretty good I think:

I am guessing Carl is wearing a wig in those photos - the hair seems shaggier on top. But looking pretty good overall.
I feel like crying everytime I think about 1997.  Cry
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2017, 09:35:32 PM »

Found some interesting shots that document various lineups on the "Rock in Houston" website, which apparently documents Houston tour stops for various bands.

Here's the February 12, 1981 show at The Summit, one of the hand full of early 1981 shows Carl did prior to his departure. You can see it's still of course the "1980 lineup" on stage:

Here's a May 14, 1990 show at The Summit. Foskett is still there. All four core BBs are there. Looks like Matt Jardine is also up on stage behind Foskett:

This is June 8, 1997 at The Woodlands Pavilion (don't let the weird late 80s style back drop fool you!). Carl is present (and, in my opinion, looking in pretty good shape compared to the scant other 1997 tour pics that are out there), and Tim Bonhomme and Chris Farmer are there (no Phil Bardowell yet as far as I can tell):

A few more of Carl from that '97 gig. Again, all things considered, he's looking pretty good I think:

I am guessing Carl is wearing a wig in those photos - the hair seems shaggier on top. But looking pretty good overall.
I feel like crying everytime I think about 1997.  Cry

I know I haven't commented in a while but thanks again to Mr. Stebbins, Hey Jude, and c-man for their help with expanding this topic, which I will edit later (it's 12:35 AM where I am).  That's the first time I've seen 1997 photos and I love all of the photos that Hey Jude was able to find and post here
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2017, 03:08:47 AM »

Have only seen very limited photos of that 1997 tour, and of Carl Wilson from that sad time. I suppose I can understand why...it's just so sad looking at the Great Carl Wilson, and knowing what he was going through at the time, and the sad end result. Missing Carl.
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2017, 10:14:38 PM »

This thread is very informative. Maybe one should be done on the lineup history of  the Brian Wilson Band.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx