gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680554 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:19:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Touring Lineups  (Read 55648 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2017, 12:05:10 PM »

When Carl left in 1981, Ed Carter was basically Carl's replacement in terms of being the main lead guitarist.

I hadn't known (or had forgotten) that Carter exited in the fall of '81 until some time in '82. That would perhaps explain why Jeff Foskett was hired on at the end of 1981 even though they still already had Adrian Baker and Ernie Knapp in addition to Meros and Figueroa.

It appears Carl brought back both Ed Carter and Billy Hinsche in 1982 when he returned. I believe Ernie Knapp was gone immediately (not sure Carl ever played a gig with them when Knapp was in the band; though Carl did return for that short string of shows in early 1982 before departing again for a few more months). But Adrian Baker stayed on for awhile in 1982.

Did Billy join in 1982 while Adrian Baker was still in the band? If so, that was a pretty large backing band at that point: Bobby Figueroa (or Mike Kowalski), Mike Meros, Adrian Baker, Jeff Foskett, Ed Carter, Billy Hinsche.

Has there ever been a clear, definitive explanation for why both Ed Carter and Billy Hinsche were let go in 1995? (And were they both gone at the exact same time?). I would guess cost/age was the biggest factor; they were replaced by younger (and probably cheaper) guys in the form of Tim Bonhomme and Chris Farmer.

Back to Ed Carter, he seems to have first popped back up playing the 1998 "Farm Aid" gig with Brian Wilson (Matt Jardine was also there). I can't recall if Ed did any other gigs with Brian that year. I know Brian took Matt with him when he did the "Front Row Center" TV show appearance; I can't remember if Ed was with him at that one.

Ed of course joined Al's "Family & Friends" in 1999. The first "Family & Friends" gig in 1998 had Steve Heger on drums and Randell Kirsch on bass. I think both Bobby Figueroa and Ed Carter joined up early in 1999. But I know Al had some guys rotating in and out as he went along, as the tour schedule was inconsistent. Ed usually played bass with Al too. But I saw a 2000 gig with "Family & Friends" where Craig Copeland (lead guitarist) was out, so they brought in Randell Kirsch on bass and Ed Carter moved to lead guitar.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 01:37:26 PM »

Hey Jude, you touched on an always interesting to me, seldom discussed topic....why were Eddie Carter and Bllly Hinsche let go in 1995? They were long time members of the band, both, especially Billy, tight with Carl and Al. Did those 2 principles not support them? Was it strictly a Mike Love $ conscious move....but still no support from Carl or Al? All very strange to me....would love to hear Billy chime in with what happened...he would know the true story.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 02:18:10 PM »

Comment was made that CBS suggested they "toughen up the live sound".  Quite amusing, a bit like MGM exhorting the Osmonds to toughen up their live sound.  This ain't Metallica we're dealing with!  Exactly how that would have increased record sales?  Well, obviously it didn't....
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 02:23:24 PM »

Hey Jude, you touched on an always interesting to me, seldom discussed topic....why were Eddie Carter and Bllly Hinsche let go in 1995? They were long time members of the band, both, especially Billy, tight with Carl and Al. Did those 2 principles not support them? Was it strictly a Mike Love $ conscious move....but still no support from Carl or Al? All very strange to me....would love to hear Billy chime in with what happened...he would know the true story.

I'm pretty sure there has never been a definitive explanation for their departures. I know they were both gone either at the same time or very soon after one another. My only guesses would be all the obvious ones: cost and/or musical reasons. Meaning, maybe they wanted someone (e.g. Farmer) who could do more backing vocals (Ed Carter did sing sometimes, but he was not a regular part of the vocal stack as far as I know, and in many cases didn't sing).

Relatively few of the backing guys over the years seemed to leave of their own choosing. The fact that so many of them turn up after their exit from the touring band continuing to play BB music with various off-shoot/tribute bands tells me they probably weren't choosing to quit the touring band to do something else musically. That's not to say someone here and there maybe wanted a lighter work schedule, etc. But in most cases, I would imagine the idea is to add something else to the touring band sound, or freshen things up with younger members, and/or members who can do more vocal parts, and so on.

Ed Carter, Bobby Figueroa, Billy Hinsche, and Matt Jardine all were touring with Al's band within a few years (or less) of leaving the "touring band."

More recently, both of the most recent exits from Mike's band, Christian Love and Randell Kirsch, have been playing with "California Surf Inc." (along with Bobby and Ed). Now, we had heard for some time that Christian Love was itching to exit Mike's band going back several years; so he may be one anomaly where he didn't want a rigorous touring schedule, but doesn't mind playing gigs here and there for a little extra coin.

Other guys like Phil Bardowell and Adrian Baker have played in various off-shoot bands. (Baker was essentially swapped out from Mike's band for Kirsch in the 2000s, and later on I recall Baker not expressing fond thoughts of Mike).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 02:31:16 PM »

"Toughening up" the live sound maybe isn't the best term for CBS to use, but to "beef up" the sound was something that wasn't a bad thing.

In late 1979/early 1980, it was one of the last times that actual BBs on stage outnumbered backing players. It was five or all six BBs backed by only three (Figueroa, Carter, and Meros). With Carter on bass, the guitarists in the band were only Carl and Al. Al wasn't a prominent guitar player in the mix at that time (Al *is* a good guitarist, he just didn't show it as much in the touring band).

So having another guitarist (Carter), and then having someone else (Chemay) fill out the bass, was something that could only help the band. Adding one more guitar wasn't going to make them sound like AC/DC or anything, but it would get them a bit more guitar-oriented and little less piano/keyboard oriented. They ultimately as the years went by chose to never go particularly guitar-heavy.

I always figured years ago that Chemay was brought in mainly for the European 1980 tour simply to beef up the sound for Knebworth, since that was being recorded and videotaped for release. While that apparently wasn't the case, Chemay was gone soon after and as soon as they were back in the US in July, only a week or two after Knebworth, Chemay was gone.

But it was only the next year that Carl was gone, and they added Baker and Knapp (and then eventually Foskett). So all of a sudden instead of six BBs and three backing guys, it was five (or sometimes only four) BBs and five or six backing guys.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 02:35:54 PM by HeyJude » Logged

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2017, 06:21:39 PM »

Comment was made that CBS suggested they "toughen up the live sound".  Quite amusing, a bit like MGM exhorting the Osmonds to toughen up their live sound.  This ain't Metallica we're dealing with!  Exactly how that would have increased record sales?  Well, obviously it didn't....

I don't know about toughening but it sure as heck made them sound better. You can notice a difference between Knebworth and the DC concert in '80 for sure.  It gave them a nice guitar sound.  Sadly within a few years they gave into the keyboard /synth 80s and the keyboards overwhelmed the guitars for the next decade plus.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 07:14:03 PM »

I don't know about toughening but it sure as heck made them sound better. You can notice a difference between Knebworth and the DC concert in '80 for sure.  It gave them a nice guitar sound.  Sadly within a few years they gave into the keyboard /synth 80s and the keyboards overwhelmed the guitars for the next decade plus.

I think you could call it toughening. Haven't listened to all of Knebworth yet, but I have listened to Barbara Ann from that show and Ed Carter's solo almost brings the song to hard rock. There's a lot of distortion and crazy lines that I wouldn't have expected from The Beach Boys
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2017, 07:36:28 AM »

Jude - some answers/clarifications:  Adrian Baker wasn't with them in late '81 or early '82 (I think the falsettos were all covered by Bruce, Al, and Bobby Figueroa during that time). When Eddie dropped out due to his hernia, they brought in Jeff for lead guitar but also gained the addition of another falsetto singer (who ended up doing nearly ALL of the falsettos). Ernie Knapp was indeed with the band when Carl played those few shows in late March and early April of '82 - when Carl returned fulltime in May, and instituted a new rehearsal regimen, Knapp was out, Carter was back on bass, and Adrian returned (interestingly, when Brian was absent - as he was for much of the May-November '82 shows - Bruce took his spot on grand piano while Adrian played electric piano for two thirds of the set). Adrian was gone by November, and Carl brought Billy back to take his place that month. I don't think Adrian and Billy played a show together until 1990, when Adrian returned to replace Jeff on falsetto vocals.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2017, 09:00:17 AM »

I'm pretty sure Ian and Jon's Concert book covers this topic.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2017, 05:30:28 AM »

I have that book C-Man, and it doesn't explain the details, as far as I can see, unless I missed it. It does briefly mention in 1995 that Ed and Billy were  replaced by Farmer and Bonhamme, but no reason given as to why. Perhaps had t do with Vocals, but Bonhamme doesn't sing. Farmer of course, did, and sang the high parts for a while. I've never heard Billy mention it in any of his social media communications either. Considering how close he was to Carl and Al, perhaps it was his choice. Would love to hear the details of this fairly elusive time in Beach Boys band history.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2017, 03:45:12 PM »

Since it's been said that Al had a voice/range closer to Brian's than Bruce's was, how much of Brian's falsetto was handled by Bruce? Did Al take the falsetto while Blondie and Ricky were in the group or was it Bobby Figueroa when he was there?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2017, 06:54:47 AM »

I believe Ian and Jon's book covers the circa 1977 small purge of band members, who supposedly/allegedly were let go for not adhering to TM.

But I can't remember if they cover the reasons behind Billy and Ed leaving in 1995. I think they cover that it occurred, but did they get into the reasons?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2017, 07:08:49 AM »

Jude - some answers/clarifications:  Adrian Baker wasn't with them in late '81 or early '82 (I think the falsettos were all covered by Bruce, Al, and Bobby Figueroa during that time). When Eddie dropped out due to his hernia, they brought in Jeff for lead guitar but also gained the addition of another falsetto singer (who ended up doing nearly ALL of the falsettos). Ernie Knapp was indeed with the band when Carl played those few shows in late March and early April of '82 - when Carl returned fulltime in May, and instituted a new rehearsal regimen, Knapp was out, Carter was back on bass, and Adrian returned (interestingly, when Brian was absent - as he was for much of the May-November '82 shows - Bruce took his spot on grand piano while Adrian played electric piano for two thirds of the set). Adrian was gone by November, and Carl brought Billy back to take his place that month. I don't think Adrian and Billy played a show together until 1990, when Adrian returned to replace Jeff on falsetto vocals.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification. I had seen some pics of 1982 shows with Bruce on piano and Adrian on keyboards, after Foskett joined, so I knew Adrian was in the band at some point in 1982.

So I would guess by the time of that widely circulating November 1982 Jamaica Music Fest recording, Adrian was gone and Billy was back?

It would be interesting to know what was behind Baker's coming and going. It's interesting that, upon returning full time in May, Carl's "demands" so to speak had to do with tightening up the band's sound and setlist, yet he brought back (or okayed bringing back) Adrian Baker, even though Carl himself was documented watching that 1981 Queen Mary show and commenting that it was "painful." While he didn't specifically cite Baker (I believe Carl said something like "some rehearsal would help a lot"), he had to have seen/heard that Adrian was sounding pretty off doing those falsettos.

I *do* think a *little bit* of that awful Queen Mary 1981 gig is explained by the mix, because someone posted some clips of the show on YouTube taken from a much later (possibly European) broadcast of the show, and the show has been mixed much better and it at least smooths out some of the worst aspects. I think the live mono TV sound and even the live stereo radio simulcast made an already iffy show sound even worse.

While we're on the subject of comings and goings, I've also been curious by the strikingly large amount of musical chairs that took place in 1990. You have Mike missing some gigs in May and June to tour in Japan. For *some* of those shows, I've read Jeff was still with the band and sang a lot of Mike's leads. But I've heard the one circulating recording from June, and Jeff isn't there and *Al* is singing lead for the most of the show including most of Mike's leads.

It appears Jeff missed some shows in June (and maybe earlier?), and Matt Jardine stepped in for these shows even though he wasn't yet the full-time official "falsetto" guy, and then Jeff came back for a bit (he's on the July 4th gigs, his last), and then either immediately or soon after Adrian Baker re-joined (but with Matt still playing with the band as well?), and then Matt officially "replaced" Adrian around 1992? I think there's a 1992 "Beach Boys Band" publicity photo that includes both Matt and Adrian.

There's also a 1990 soundboard recording where Mike is back, but *Al* is absent (Mike mentions, seemingly sarcastically, that Al is on "sabbatical"), and neither Foskett nor Baker are present, and Matt does the falsettos and Al's leads (including "Somewhere Near Japan").

Later in the year, Carl *also* missed some shows, and weirdly they hired a replacement lead guitarist (can't remember his name, but he had big 80s hair).

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2017, 09:18:11 AM »

HeyJude, at the May 1990 Mikeless show I saw in Atlanta, both Al and Jeff co-sang a lot of Mike's leads. Matt Jardine covered the falsettos, and Gerry Beckley helped fill in the harmonies. They also did "Sister Goldenhair."
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2017, 09:53:13 AM »

HeyJude, at the May 1990 Mikeless show I saw in Atlanta, both Al and Jeff co-sang a lot of Mike's leads. Matt Jardine covered the falsettos, and Gerry Beckley helped fill in the harmonies. They also did "Sister Goldenhair."

I think it was your report from years ago that I was remembering in thinking that Jeff was at some of the "Mike-less" shows in 1990.

But apparently at some point later in May or June, Foskett dropped out for awhile, as the June 2 Ontario show I've heard has no Jeff, and Al was singing all of Mike's leads (apart from the bridge to "Sloop John B", which Gerry Beckley sang).

But Jeff did return at some point, as he's on the July 4th Cape Cod show (his last show), which circulates on video.

I believe Mike missed the shows in May/June due to an "Endless Summer Band" string of dates in Japan. I think Foskett had previously been a part of that sideband, but I recall seeing some Japanese TV appearances Mike made during that time, and I don't think Jeff was in the band at that point (which would make sense as well if Jeff was with the BBs during some of the gigs Mike missed).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:53:41 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2017, 09:57:14 AM »

I've always found in interesting that, even when Mike was gone for a string of shows in 1990, they didn't really alter the setlist (other than doing Beckley's "Sister Golden Hair"). You'd think they would have dropped a few "Mike lead" songs and picked some more stuff for Carl to sing (or had Carl sing a few of the Mike leads).

It's interesting that we have recordings through the years of Mike, Al, and Brian all singing a lot of the "surf" and "car" songs, but never Carl. How weird would that have been, to hear Carl take the lead on "California Girls" or something?

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2017, 10:17:59 AM »

Didn't Carl cover Mike's leads when he was ill in 1970?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2017, 10:24:02 AM »

Didn't Carl cover Mike's leads when he was ill in 1970?

It's been a million years since I listened to the murky audience recordings. Did Brian sing some of the leads? I recall the general idea put around was that Brian took Mike's leads, but then others suggested it was Carl.

In any event, it's a bit easier to think of the 1970 Carl voice filling in for Brian or even Mike. I just think it would be odd to hear 1990s Carl singing those Mike leads.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2017, 10:55:18 AM »

Has Mike ever discussed or even mentioned why he'd bail on his own band to play these half-assed cover band shows at the time when the Beach Boys were actually a hot act riding on a #1 hit single?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2017, 12:26:43 PM »

Has Mike ever discussed or even mentioned why he'd bail on his own band to play these half-assed cover band shows at the time when the Beach Boys were actually a hot act riding on a #1 hit single?

Considering how possessive he was of the BBs as a touring brand, it's surprising Mike would miss BB gigs.

He strikes me as the Tom Scholz type, who allegedly one time in the late 70s injured himself at the end of a Boston show and missed one song in an encore where the rest of the band went on, and allegedly immediately freaked out and made the entire band sign an agreement that they would never perform a note without him on stage.

I have no doubt that Mike would never have done such a thing in 1996 or 97.

My best guess for those 1990 dates is one of two things, and actually they both could go hand in hand. He may have booked the gigs prior to BB gigs were offered and booked, and no doubt, especially back in 1990, he could probably make some nice money *not* splitting gig proceeds with the other BBs by doing those gigs in Japan. Even an off-shoot side band like "Endless Summer Band" was in-demand enough in Japan in 1990 that they booked the band for TV show appearances.

I've always wondered if it was a coincidence or not that the following year, the Beach Boys themselves toured Japan for the first time in, I believe, 12 years.

Also, something pertaining to the "Endless Summer Band", and perhaps why Foskett *wasn't* on that Japan tour with Mike's band in 1990, is alluded to in Jeff Foskett's mid-90s interview detailing his 1990 departure from the touring band:

FOSKETT: I was asked to leave by Michael and Carl. I know that during the past several months there has been some discussion over the internet on my departure, and I will set the record straight now. I was having an affair outside my marriage that was causing a great deal of turmoil in the closely-knit BB organization. All the wives traveled on the road at one time or another, and seeing me with someone other than my wife made them suspicious of their husbands. Not a good scene. My ego was way out of control. I think Michael thought that I was holding back money from the side gigs that he and I did with the Endless Summer Beach Band, and so he was unhappy about that, and Carl was unhappy with my ego and my affair. They did the right thing by letting me go; right for them and definitely right for me. I needed to straighten up and get back into "the real world." I did, and my wife and I will soon be celebrating our 11th anniversary.

Foskett's comments almost make it seem like *Foskett* was booking the band's gigs, or at least acting as some sort of ad hoc manager for that side band. I'm not sure how else it would even be possible for him to "hold back" money from gigs.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 12:29:50 PM by HeyJude » Logged

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2017, 08:48:40 PM »

I've always found in interesting that, even when Mike was gone for a string of shows in 1990, they didn't really alter the setlist (other than doing Beckley's "Sister Golden Hair"). You'd think they would have dropped a few "Mike lead" songs and picked some more stuff for Carl to sing (or had Carl sing a few of the Mike leads).

It's interesting that we have recordings through the years of Mike, Al, and Brian all singing a lot of the "surf" and "car" songs, but never Carl. How weird would that have been, to hear Carl take the lead on "California Girls" or something?

We also have Al, Carl, Dennis, Brian...and now Mike...singing lead on "Help Me, Rhonda"!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2017, 08:52:32 PM »

I believe Ian and Jon's book covers the circa 1977 small purge of band members, who supposedly/allegedly were let go for not adhering to TM.

But I can't remember if they cover the reasons behind Billy and Ed leaving in 1995. I think they cover that it occurred, but did they get into the reasons?

I seem to recall that ESQ reported (I think it was the September '95 edition) that two of the longtime touring sidemen were planning to retire at the end of the year...they didn't name names, but a few months later, it became obvious who they meant. So this could have simply been a case of them growing tired of the touring grind. Or of the inter-band bickering. Or both. Smiley
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2017, 06:08:21 AM »

Hi everyone,

since there's been a lot of great discussion outside the time when Blondie and Ricky were in the band, I'm going to edit the main post and include all the info that people have willingly provided here and in a couple of other topics I have found that list the BB touring members.

Thanks for all the help and discussion!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2017, 06:20:11 AM »

I've been waiting for a comprehensive thread about this! I hope we can get a detailed look at the touring band all the way until the current band(s)
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2017, 06:26:10 AM »

I think there should be some discussion of the other on-stage players over the years, such as their various horn sections. I remember (vaguely) some shows in the '70's that featured some amazing horn contributions, but don't recall any names.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx