gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 05:09:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Touring Lineups  (Read 55649 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2017, 03:43:56 PM »

And it certainly made sense to have someone else available to play guitar if Carl needed to miss shows. Sans Carl, the touring band at that stage would have had *one* guitar (Al), and three keyboardists (Bruce, Meros, and Bonhomme), actually four as Richie Cannata sometimes played keys as well.

I know the days of the BBs being guitar-heavy were over by the 90s, but you gotta have at least one rhythm guitar *and* one lead guitar in the mix at all times to make it work and not be completely overrun with keyboards.

Yes - plus, I just don't see Al playing all of the iconic surf-guitar solos. With the possibility of Carl absences, they needed a ringer who could cover those parts.

By 1999, they had three guitarist in the band with Bardowell, Adrian Baker, and David Marks.

When did Bardowell leave? David's last show was July 4, 1999, so presumably at that point they were down to two guitarists. Did Bardowell leave before Scott Totten joined? I'm curious if at some point they were down to one guitarist again at any point. I see Bardowell still in the band in a July, 2000 pro-shot video on YouTube. Totten joined at the very end of 2000 as I recall. So perhaps there was a little overlap, or Totten essentially replaced Bardowell?

Re-looking up a Totten interview, it appears his first gig as a fill-in was 12/28/2000, and he permanently joined on July 5, 2001. 

I don't believe they've ever played a gig with just one guitarist (well, not since the early '67 Irish shows, where poor Al had to carry the whole load due to Carl's court-related absence). Scott filled in for Adrian at those December 2000 BB King Blues Club shows in NYC - then John Cowsill actually filled in on rhythm guitar at Bush's inaugural gala the following month (he had already subbed for Kowalski on drums a couple of times the previous October). By mid-July of 2001, Adrian was back, and Scott was back to fill in for Phil on their European tour that month - but Phil's departure ended up being permanent, and Scott stayed on. Adrian was out again the first few months of 2002, and was replaced first by a rotating cast of John Foster, Randell Kirsch, and John Cowsill (the latter was on rhythm guitar for a show I saw that April - he had been playing piano with them following Mike Meros' departure and Tim Bonhomme's move to the organ in mid-2001, but for this show Gary Griffin came in for piano, allowing John to play rhythm guitar). By that May, Adrian was back, until mid 2004, when Randell took over the spot. You probably know the rest.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2017, 09:24:01 PM »

Found some interesting shots that document various lineups on the "Rock in Houston" website, which apparently documents Houston tour stops for various bands.

Here's the February 12, 1981 show at The Summit, one of the hand full of early 1981 shows Carl did prior to his departure. You can see it's still of course the "1980 lineup" on stage:

Here's a May 14, 1990 show at The Summit. Foskett is still there. All four core BBs are there. Looks like Matt Jardine is also up on stage behind Foskett:

This is June 8, 1997 at The Woodlands Pavilion (don't let the weird late 80s style back drop fool you!). Carl is present (and, in my opinion, looking in pretty good shape compared to the scant other 1997 tour pics that are out there), and Tim Bonhomme and Chris Farmer are there (no Phil Bardowell yet as far as I can tell):

A few more of Carl from that '97 gig. Again, all things considered, he's looking pretty good I think:

I am guessing Carl is wearing a wig in those photos - the hair seems shaggier on top. But looking pretty good overall.
I feel like crying everytime I think about 1997.  Cry
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2017, 09:35:32 PM »

Found some interesting shots that document various lineups on the "Rock in Houston" website, which apparently documents Houston tour stops for various bands.

Here's the February 12, 1981 show at The Summit, one of the hand full of early 1981 shows Carl did prior to his departure. You can see it's still of course the "1980 lineup" on stage:

Here's a May 14, 1990 show at The Summit. Foskett is still there. All four core BBs are there. Looks like Matt Jardine is also up on stage behind Foskett:

This is June 8, 1997 at The Woodlands Pavilion (don't let the weird late 80s style back drop fool you!). Carl is present (and, in my opinion, looking in pretty good shape compared to the scant other 1997 tour pics that are out there), and Tim Bonhomme and Chris Farmer are there (no Phil Bardowell yet as far as I can tell):

A few more of Carl from that '97 gig. Again, all things considered, he's looking pretty good I think:

I am guessing Carl is wearing a wig in those photos - the hair seems shaggier on top. But looking pretty good overall.
I feel like crying everytime I think about 1997.  Cry

I know I haven't commented in a while but thanks again to Mr. Stebbins, Hey Jude, and c-man for their help with expanding this topic, which I will edit later (it's 12:35 AM where I am).  That's the first time I've seen 1997 photos and I love all of the photos that Hey Jude was able to find and post here
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2017, 03:08:47 AM »

Have only seen very limited photos of that 1997 tour, and of Carl Wilson from that sad time. I suppose I can understand why...it's just so sad looking at the Great Carl Wilson, and knowing what he was going through at the time, and the sad end result. Missing Carl.
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2017, 10:14:38 PM »

This thread is very informative. Maybe one should be done on the lineup history of  the Brian Wilson Band.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2017, 04:47:19 PM »

This thread is very informative. Maybe one should be done on the lineup history of  the Brian Wilson Band.

Thanks SMiLE.  It wouldn't have been possible without all the members who gave me what info they could.

If there's enough interest for one on the Brian Wilson Band, I'd consider starting one.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2017, 03:57:40 AM »

Here is what I can gather of Brian's touring lineup.

Joe Thomas - Keyboards, Backing Vocals (1999)
Jeff Foskett - Rhythm Guitar, Lead and Backing Vocals (1999-2013)
Paul Von Mertens - Saxophone, Harmonica, Woodwinds, Backing Vocals (1999-Present)
Probyn Gregory - Horns, Guitar, Backing Vocals (1999-Present)
Nicky Wonder (aka Nick Walusko) - Lead Guitar, Backing Vocals (1999-Present)
Darian Sahanaja - Keyboards, Vibes, Lead and Backing Vocals (1999-Present)
Scott Bennett - Keyboards, Vibes, Lead and Backing Vocals (1999-2015)
Bob Lizik - Bass Guitar (1999-2008, 2013-Present)
Taylor Mills - Backing Vocals (1999-2011)
Mike D'Amico - Percussion, Guitar and Backing Vocals (1999-2001, 2002-2004), Drums (2008-Present)
Todd Sucherman - Drums (1999)
Jim Hines - Drums (1999-2008)
Andy Paley - Percussion, Keyboards, Backing Vocals (2001-2002)
Nelson Bragg - Percussion and Backing Vocals (2004-Present)
Brett Simons - Bass (2008-2011)
Gary Griffin - Keyboards, Vibes, Backing Vocals (filling in for either Darian or Scott when absent in 2006-2008, permanently replaced Scott 2016-Present)
Billy Hinsche - Keyboards, Vibes, Backing Vocals (filling in for Darian when absent in 2007 and 2016-2017)
Al Jardine - Lead and Backing Vocals, Guitar (guest appearances in 2006-2007), (2013-Present)
David Marks - Lead and Backing Vocals, Guitar (2013)
Blondie Chaplin - Lead and Backing Vocals, Guitar (occasional guest appearances in 2013), (2015-Present)
Brian Eichenberger - Lead and Backing Vocals, Rhythm Guitar (2014)
Matt Jardine - Lead and Backing Vocals, Rhythm Guitar (2015-Present)

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2017, 06:08:40 AM »

Paul Von Mertens - Saxophone, Harmonica, Woodwinds, Backing Vocals (1999-Present)
Mike D'Amico - Percussion, Guitar and Backing Vocals (1999-2001, 2002-2004), Drums (2008-Present)
Gary Griffin - Keyboards, Vibes, Backing Vocals (filling in for either Darian or Scott when absent in 2006-2008, permanently replaced Scott 2016-Present)
Billy Hinsche - Keyboards, Vibes, Backing Vocals (filling in for Darian when absent in 2007 and 2016-2017)
Al Jardine - Lead and Backing Vocals, Guitar (guest appearances in 2006-2007), (2013-Present)
Blondie Chaplin - Lead and Backing Vocals, Guitar (occasional guest appearances in 2013), (2015-Present)

There's also Steve Dahl who was in and out along with Joe Thomas in 1999.

I would also say, if we're including temporary fill-ins like Billy Hinsche, we can also include Debbie Shair who has been a fill-in in 2016/2017.

Also, while it's mostly just semantics, I would say that Al, Blondie, and Dave have always been billed as "Special Guests" as opposed to being a "touring band" member. Blondie in particular falls into this category as he isn't on stage for the entire length of the show.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2017, 01:16:09 PM »

I would also say, if we're including temporary fill-ins like Billy Hinsche, we can also include Debbie Shair who has been a fill-in in 2016/2017.

Also, while it's mostly just semantics, I would say that Al, Blondie, and Dave have always been billed as "Special Guests" as opposed to being a "touring band" member. Blondie in particular falls into this category as he isn't on stage for the entire length of the show.

I think there's another touring keyboardist too that served as a substitute for at least Brian's 2017 New Bedford show. I didn't hear them mention Darian or Billy Hinsche or Gary Griffin, I remember he was from MA but don't remember anything else unfortunately.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2017, 01:32:32 PM »

This thread is very informative. Maybe one should be done on the lineup history of  the Brian Wilson Band.

I think there's another touring keyboardist too that served as a substitute for at least Brian's 2017 New Bedford show. I didn't hear them mention Darian or Billy Hinsche or Gary Griffin, I remember he was from MA but don't remember anything else unfortunately.

There's a video of that gig on YouTube featuring GV, and it shows Debbie Shair and no other apparent keyboardist. I'm guessing he was off stage (or off camera), and then you can see presumably this fill-in come up the keyboard right before the video ends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y10cO40BRyM

If we're doing one-shot fill-ins, then there might be several more. Chad Odhner of the Fendertones did a gig or two in 2014 when Matt Jardine missed some gigs prior to Brian Eichenberger coming in.

There are also some other musicians that played with Brian in 1998. Matt Jardine did a few TV shows, etc. with Brian in 1998. I recall Ed Carter played bass for Brian at Farm Aid as well. There are also of course a bunch of different musicians at that 1998 "Imagination" TV taping.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 01:36:20 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2018, 06:19:23 PM »

Reviving a dormant thread with some questions about C50. I didn't see any of the shows so I wouldn't know, but (these are from Wikipedia)

1. What songs did Mike D'Amico play drums on?
2. What songs did Probyn Gregory play bass on?
3. When did Tim Bonhomme occasionally play keyboards?
4. When did Billy Hinsche and Bobby Figueroa appear as special guests?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2018, 06:29:34 PM »

Reviving a dormant thread with some questions about C50. I didn't see any of the shows so I wouldn't know, but (these are from Wikipedia)

1. Pretty much the ones that Brian's band had been doing, but Mike's had not (Marcella, This Whole World, Pet Sounds, etc.)
2. The ones that Mike D'Amico played drums on. Smiley Except for Pet Sounds - Scotty T. played bass on that one, 'cause Probyn was needed on the trumpet.
3. Didn't know that he did, but he was there as one of the tour managers. Not surprised if he did play some keyboards at some point, though.
4. Not sure - Billy was at the California show(s) where the band's kids opened for them (where they called California Saga? can't remember)...

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2018, 08:17:12 PM »

1. Pretty much the ones that Brian's band had been doing, but Mike's had not (Marcella, This Whole World, Pet Sounds, etc.)
2. The ones that Mike D'Amico played drums on. Smiley Except for Pet Sounds - Scotty T. played bass on that one, 'cause Probyn was needed on the trumpet.
3. Didn't know that he did, but he was there as one of the tour managers. Not surprised if he did play some keyboards at some point, though.
4. Not sure - Billy was at the California show(s) where the band's kids opened for them (where they called California Saga? can't remember)...

Thanks c-man. I had heard Billy Hinsche played with California Saga but for the rest I'm just going with Wikipedia for now until I can find some better info. Wasn't sure how deep some of those songs were for Cowsill.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2018, 09:37:38 PM »

My recollection is that Bonhomme and Hinsche just sat in for a song or two at single shows, probably around the time of the encore portion of the show. Like when Ringo invites a bunch of people on stage in LA for "With a Little Help From My Friends."

They never came in as part of the C50 band for an entire show.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: July 03, 2018, 05:02:51 AM »

Not sure if Wikipedia mentions it, but Taylor Mills also sang with the band (at a show in New York state, I believe). "Marcella", I think - as well as the encore.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2018, 03:23:27 PM »

Not sure if Wikipedia mentions it, but Taylor Mills also sang with the band (at a show in New York state, I believe). "Marcella", I think - as well as the encore.

Wikipedia does mention her; I must have left her out.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2018, 07:48:49 AM »

Forgive me if it's mentioned in an earlier post I missed, but shouldn't Mark Groseclose be listed in one of the very early 1963 lineups, having subbed for DW on a few shows whilst he recovered from an injured foot ?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:52:12 AM by Malc » Logged

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2018, 11:54:13 AM »

Forgive me if it's mentioned in an earlier post I missed, but shouldn't Mark Groseclose be listed in one of the very early 1963 lineups, having subbed for DW on a few shows whilst he recovered from an injured foot ?

Thanks, I just added him and will look for the specific dates later. Completely overlooked him.
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2019, 11:48:22 AM »

Posting this here and on one other thread where it seems it might be of the most interest. A friend saw the touring BBs in 2017 and Foskett didn't sing at all. Must've had a cold or something. Anyway, Brian E sang all the falsetto parts that show and here's some video with many more songs by same poster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf1LYUPBozY
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 11:49:36 AM by DC310 » Logged
Hang10Ben
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2020, 08:58:26 PM »

For Mike Love's group, Paul Fauerso subbed for John Cowsill at AVO Session in Switzerland in 2003 and Brian Sutherland subbed for Christian Love in late 2013. Are there any other one-shot subs that there have been over the years?
Hang10Ben
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2020, 09:01:33 PM »

As for Brian Wilson's group, Casey McDonough subbed for Matt Jardine at some shows in 2017, Nelson Bragg left in 2018 and was replaced by Jim Laspesa, and Rob Bonfiglio subbed for Matt Jardine in late 2018. Nicky Wonder passed away in August 2019 and was replaced by Randell Kirsch later that month. Rob Bonfiglio then replaced Kirsch in September 2019.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2020, 06:00:31 AM »

As for Brian Wilson's group, Casey McDonough subbed for Matt Jardine at some shows in 2017, Nelson Bragg left in 2018 and was replaced by Jim Laspesa, and Rob Bonfiglio subbed for Matt Jardine in late 2018. Nicky Wonder passed away in August 2019 and was replaced by Randell Kirsch later that month. Rob Bonfiglio then replaced Kirsch in September 2019.

Technically, Randell filled in briefly for some gigs until Rob was able to join the tour full-time. Both of them are seen rehearsing with the band in a video clip of that tour's rehearsals (the Friends/Surf's Up tour).
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2020, 06:14:13 AM »

By the way i am not convinced that the BBs were a four piece band in 1962. Keith Badman suggested it in his book but the Rainbow Garden shows he mentioned turned out to be misdated when I researched it. When I interviewed David he made it clear he’d played shows prior to the March 10 Bel Air Bay Club and it is now clear that he started by March 1. As of the latest research the latest previous show was in San Diego on February 19 and 20 and Al has a clear recollection of playing those shows. Hence-unless evidence appears that the BBS played a show between February 20 and March 1-the assumption must be that al left and then the BBs immediately started rehearsing Dave
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2020, 06:16:54 AM »

Also you list the kings men drummer filling in for Dennis in 1963 but he only filled in for Dennis in July 1964 when a fan hit Dennis was something at the Kansas City show and he had to leave the stage
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2020, 10:43:04 AM »

Technically, Randell filled in briefly for some gigs until Rob was able to join the tour full-time. Both of them are seen rehearsing with the band in a video clip of that tour's rehearsals (the Friends/Surf's Up tour).

And the reason Rob couldn't start full time... he was playing some dates subbing for Ike (who was subbing for Jeff?) in Mike's band.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx