gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:10:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Response to a Request For a Positive Post...My Top 10 Beach Boys Observations  (Read 7741 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: October 14, 2017, 04:43:21 PM »

1.  The Beach Boys are my all time favourite vocal group from either the Rock 'n' Roll or the resulting Rock eras.
2.  No other group or band has ever come near matching the plenitude of outstanding vocal arrangements recorded and performed by the Beach Boys.
3.  Pet Sounds.  As close to perfection as an album can come.  From the first listening in Mid May 1966 'til today it hasn't lost a step.  They should use it in school music classes.
4.  Prior to October 10, 1966 NO single in the history of recorded music came anywhere near being as ground breaking as the Quantum Aural Leap known as Good Vibrations.
5.  Brian Wilson is unique...almost beyond comparison...as a creative musical soul.  His inspiration is long lasting and worldwide...and will be for centuries to come.
6.  If there has ever been a better singer than Carl Wilson...I have yet to feel it.  He was also an outstanding human being...not flawless...but REAL...and kind...and talented.
7.  Sunflower.  Just to prove that Pet Sounds wasn't a fluke.  Friends and 20/20 are no slouches either.  Nor is Surf's Up.  And The Good Vibrations box set rules.
8.  After over 54 years of listening, purchasing, attending and thoroughly enjoying the huge majority of their body of work...they can still bring a happy tear to the eye LIVE.
9.  These guys, collectively, sound even better without any backing instrumentation as is evidenced by oh-so-many of their A cappella recordings.  [like the Pet Sounds box]
10.  No other singing group in the history of popular music has ever sounded anywhere near as ethereal as The Beach Boys.  There's no one else who collectively compares.
-------------------------------------------

11...BONUS...SMiLE.  Finally realized.  First by Brian and his outstanding crew and then...ultimately...the original recordings were fashioned into a version of pure MAGIC.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:59:40 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 06:23:37 PM »

Add Some, what a great post. And it’s great to be reminded about why we’re all here. I agree with your whole list but number 4 and number 9 are especially true from my perspective. Also fully agree with 11.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 06:34:45 PM »

We love you Lee! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 08:08:39 PM »

Atta boy, Lee! Quote worthy.  Happy Dance

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
KDS
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 09:20:40 PM »

Great post.  Thats the Lee I know and love. 
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 11:19:11 PM »

I want to speak about No.4 on your list.

I was in a car recently listening to one of those radio shows where  they play the entire top 40 hit parade of a chosen month/year. I was only half listening, but some good stuff was playing, bit of Manfed Mann, Hollies etc.  All of a typical mid 60s sound and vibe.

Then Good Vibrations came on.

And it was out of nowhere.

It sounded like it belonged to a different UNIVERSE than anything that had just been played

Seriously, the aural shock of hearing this familiar song, in context but completely out of place was a surreal and wonderful experience.

I know it's a groundbreaking record, but to hear it alongside it's contemporaries really brought it home. I can only imagine what it was like hearing it for the first time in 1966.

Game changer doesn't even come close to describing it.
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 01:44:46 AM »

Agree with all 11 points... no-one came close to such outstanding musical beauty, no-one in any other era or style, ever. No-one ever will. Brian Wilson has as direct a link to God as anyone who ever walked the planet.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 02:15:12 AM »

Hear Hear!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 03:40:25 AM »

I can only imagine what it was like hearing it for the first time in 1966.

Pretty astonishing, I can tell you. The first radio airing in the UK was one Friday evening presumably in October (I still have to pinpoint the exact date). There's an outside chance it was a Saturday----I used to work Saturdays at the time. End of the week, anyway.

I was expecting something unusual----it was the BB after all----but I (like everyone else listening) got a lot more than I'd bargained for. It was like climbing a hill and when you think you've reached the top there's another peak ahead of you. Those peaks just kept on coming. Some memories never fade.

Thanks, OP, for a great heartwarming topic. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 09:32:50 AM »

1.  The Beach Boys are my all time favourite vocal group from either the Rock 'n' Roll or the resulting Rock eras.
2.  No other group or band has ever come near matching the plenitude of outstanding vocal arrangements recorded and performed by the Beach Boys.
3.  Pet Sounds.  As close to perfection as an album can come.  From the first listening in Mid May 1966 'til today it hasn't lost a step.  They should use it in school music classes.
4.  Prior to October 10, 1966 NO single in the history of recorded music came anywhere near being as ground breaking as the Quantum Aural Leap known as Good Vibrations.
5.  Brian Wilson is unique...almost beyond comparison...as a creative musical soul.  His inspiration is long lasting and worldwide...and will be for centuries to come.
6.  If there has ever been a better singer than Carl Wilson...I have yet to feel it.  He was also an outstanding human being...not flawless...but REAL...and kind...and talented.
7.  Sunflower.  Just to prove that Pet Sounds wasn't a fluke.  Friends and 20/20 are no slouches either.  Nor is Surf's Up.  And The Good Vibrations box set rules.
8.  After over 54 years of listening, purchasing, attending and thoroughly enjoying the huge majority of their body of work...they can still bring a happy tear to the eye LIVE.
9.  These guys, collectively, sound even better without any backing instrumentation as is evidenced by oh-so-many of their A cappella recordings.  [like the Pet Sounds box]
10.  No other singing group in the history of popular music has ever sounded anywhere near as ethereal as The Beach Boys.  There's no one else who collectively compares.
-------------------------------------------

11...BONUS...SMiLE.  Finally realized.  First by Brian and his outstanding crew and then...ultimately...the original recordings were fashioned into a version of pure MAGIC.

I couldn't agree with you more.  Everything is spot on.  This is what it is all bout.  The first time I heard "God Only Knows", I was very young, but it changed everything.  That was the first time I ever felt a song.  In my opinion, "God Only Knows" is still the most beautiful thing ever recorded.
blueeyedtreefrog
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 04:27:55 PM »

Wonderful post! Agree with everything. Also, I think their music is inexhaustible. I always find something new and beautiful that I hadn't noticed before.  And it is definitely angelic and out of this world - it's Johann Sebastian Beach!
Scaroline No
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 04:41:02 PM »

Wonderful post! Agree with everything. Also, I think their music is inexhaustible. I always find something new and beautiful that I hadn't noticed before.  And it is definitely angelic and out of this world - it's Johann Sebastian Beach!

Agreed. I am currently obsessed with the Live albums and as if I wasn't already aware of how ethereal this music is, the BB world just keeps opening up. I feel so thankful to have had the 'a-ha' moment that led to this.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 12:41:00 AM »

My current girlfriend is not convinced of the greatness of the Beatles, and part of the problem is the lyrics of the early songs. She finds them to simple, not thought provoking. "I Wanna Hold Your Hand? That didn't take much thought". I think the Beach Boys are going to be  a harder sell, though - all those songs about trivial things like surfing and cars. I told her "back in 1964, if people wanted serious, socially conscious lyrics, they listened to folk music. And who was the biggest folk artist in 64? Bob Dylan." She hates Dylan because of his singing.
Oh well. In the past I always dated girls that liked the same music as me - and it didn't work out. But I haven't given up trying to 'convert' her.
 LOL
KDS
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 05:37:22 AM »

My current girlfriend is not convinced of the greatness of the Beatles, and part of the problem is the lyrics of the early songs. She finds them to simple, not thought provoking. "I Wanna Hold Your Hand? That didn't take much thought". I think the Beach Boys are going to be  a harder sell, though - all those songs about trivial things like surfing and cars. I told her "back in 1964, if people wanted serious, socially conscious lyrics, they listened to folk music. And who was the biggest folk artist in 64? Bob Dylan." She hates Dylan because of his singing.
Oh well. In the past I always dated girls that liked the same music as me - and it didn't work out. But I haven't given up trying to 'convert' her.
 LOL

Just curious as to what kind of music she's into. 
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 08:09:38 AM »

I feel ya Mr. Lonely.  When I began my sojourn of love with the current Mrs. M. she liked a few Beach Boys/Brian songs a little...but not many and not a lot.  When I took her to see the initial N. American tour of SMiLE she enjoyed it but didn't really  know enough of the story to truly appreciate it.  But she's been to a number of shows now and Only With You and God Only Knows were 2 of our 4 wedding songs when we finally officially tied the knot almost 6 years ago.  [Paul Stookey-The Wedding Song and Bob Marley-Turn Your Lights Down Low were the other 2.  She loved the Pet Sounds concert last month in Kitchener.

It takes time but you've got a ton of excellent ammunition to help win the day...and win HER over.  Just let Brian and the Boys dole out the magic... ... ...and PRESTO!!!

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 08:15:52 AM »

When I met my future wife, she only knew a handful of the "greatest hits" Beach Boys songs.  I played her "Cuddle Up" and she wanted to hear more.  Now she's as much of a fan as I am.  The music has a power of it's own.
KDS
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 08:27:30 AM »

I was able to convert my wife to much of the music I like, The Beach Boys included.  Granted, she doesn't delve as deep into the catalog as I have, but we danced to GOK at our wedding, and have attended four BW and two M&B (one w/ David Marks) from 2015-6.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 10:47:52 AM »

My wife didn't need converting. We went to Brian's Kenwood House (London) concert in 2008 and this year to M&B and (like me) she enjoyed them thoroughly, up to and including (at the last one) filming "THWFOS"----the most played song in our house, thanks to our two-year-old smartphone-savvy granddaughter.  Grin   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 12:11:27 AM »

LOL

Silverchair, Alice in Chains, Stevie Ray Vaughan (he seems to be the only blues artist she's heard that she likes...I gotta play her some B.B. King one of these days), Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys - the only 60's artist she likes is Jimi Hendrix. On the plus side, she hasn't said anything bad yet about my own music. She's been to a couple of my shows and had a good time. Maybe that's how i'll trick her into liking the Beatles or Beach Boys - just mix a couple of their songs into the show, and wait until later to tell her whose song it was.  LOL
KDS
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 06:01:50 AM »

LOL

Silverchair, Alice in Chains, Stevie Ray Vaughan (he seems to be the only blues artist she's heard that she likes...I gotta play her some B.B. King one of these days), Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys - the only 60's artist she likes is Jimi Hendrix. On the plus side, she hasn't said anything bad yet about my own music. She's been to a couple of my shows and had a good time. Maybe that's how i'll trick her into liking the Beatles or Beach Boys - just mix a couple of their songs into the show, and wait until later to tell her whose song it was.  LOL

Sounds like a child of the 1990s (what a dismal decade for music).  Well, you've got Alice in Chains, Stevie Ray, and Hendrix, it could always be worse. 

If she's into more guitar orientated rock, maybe try something like Steamboat, Bluesbirds, It's About Time, or Feel Flows. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 07:13:53 AM »

LOL

When someone criticizes a given piece of music (or an artist, etc.), the first thing I'm inclined to ask is what *they* like. Almost uniformly, whatever they don't like about the given piece or artist is *also* true of the stuff they like. I always reference in these cases the person who says "McDonald's? Ewwww! I eat at Burger King!"

So yeah, it's pretty funny to criticize Beatles lyrics but also be into Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys. Last I checked, Elvis Costello wasn't writing their lyrics, either.

Don't get me wrong; I can actually believe it or not make a pro-Britney Spears case. If you listen to her famous stuff, it's still far better than the *current* iteration of pop music, which has grown even more artificial and electronic and repetitive. Those famous 90s Britney Spears singles actually have melodic hooks usually; they're (sadly) better *songs* than the pop stuff of today, and (even more sadly) are far more judicious in the use of autotune, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 07:23:52 AM »

I personally have never found a need or desire to "sell" anyone else on the music I like. I like sharing it, and if someone digs it, that's awesome. I might even try to occasionally pick some stuff that might "ease" someone into an artist.

But I'm not a big fan of trying to convince someone that, say, likes emo pop music that the Beach Boys are awesome by trying to pick some track that I can tangentially relate back to what *they* like. It's like, jeez, why does everything have to be put in a context of something *you* like, or something that's about *you." How about just listening to something else that's different?

I also think it would be boring to be with someone who has the exact same taste in music. Ideally, there's not an insurmountable level of disparity between what two people like. Then, you can teach and introduce each other to other artists, maybe occasionally winning someone over with a song or artist here or there.

I'd say, even relative to other vaguely similar artists, it's hard to win someone over with the BBs unless they're already steeped in that sort of stuff. The early stuff sounds too trite to uneducated ears, and you usually have to find someone who likes (obviously) heavy harmony. I've had far more luck winning people over with Orbison, or Lennon, or even Billy Joel, or McCartney, etc., than the BBs.

The one I don't get AT ALL is people who love the Beach Boys but hate the Beatles, or vice versa. They're far from identical, but there's so much overlap there. I figure this hangup often has to do with Beatles fans being too tunnel-visioned in only liking the Beatles and *nothing else*, while BB fans get hung up on not wanting to acknowledge the Beatles were better (by a variety of individual measures of course).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 07:36:32 AM »

O.K.  That'd be YOUR take on it all...and while I agree that you can't MAKE someone else dig 'the boys' osmosis works wonders on the intelligent ear.  It's a slow motion process though.  It can't 'happen' in one sitting.  As for the Beatles....they're GREAT.  Or at least they were.  Ringo's still turning out some interesting tuneage.  Paul needs John to balance his 'act'.  That said...if I HAD to choose [and I don't] to pick one library...Beatles/collectively and individually OR Beach Boys/collectively and individually...the pickin' would be easy.  I'd even pick the Boys/collectively and individually over Bob Marley.

KDS
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 07:50:02 AM »

The one I don't get AT ALL is people who love the Beach Boys but hate the Beatles, or vice versa. They're far from identical, but there's so much overlap there. I figure this hangup often has to do with Beatles fans being too tunnel-visioned in only liking the Beatles and *nothing else*, while BB fans get hung up on not wanting to acknowledge the Beatles were better (by a variety of individual measures of course).

I can't say I understand that either.   

I think some of those anti Beatles feelings among BB fans are due to the fact that The Beatles get more credit / respect than The Beach Boys among critics and music aficionados, many of whom think Pet Sounds and Smile are the only things of merit ever released by the Boys.   

KDS
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2017, 07:50:44 AM »

O.K.  That'd be YOUR take on it all...and while I agree that you can't MAKE someone else dig 'the boys' osmosis works wonders on the intelligent ear.  It's a slow motion process though.  It can't 'happen' in one sitting.  As for the Beatles....they're GREAT.  Or at least they were.  Ringo's still turning out some interesting tuneage.  Paul needs John to balance his 'act'.  That said...if I HAD to choose [and I don't] to pick one library...Beatles/collectively and individually OR Beach Boys/collectively and individually...the pickin' would be easy.  I'd even pick the Boys/collectively and individually over Bob Marley.

Very true.  It took me many years to really appreciate the full catalog of The Beach Boys. 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx