gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:48:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: was sunshine pop a musical dead end?  (Read 3670 times)
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2017, 11:53:22 AM »

It seems like a lot of music from the mid 60s evolved into other stuff. The Byrds type of music evolved into the Burrito Brothers, Poco, the Eagles etc. The Yardbirds, Kinks, Stones type of music sort of evolved into Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin.

It seems that with sunshine pop, there was no real next step and by 1969 or 1970, that type of music was extinct not only on FM, but even on AM radio.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 12:10:18 PM »

It seems like a lot of music from the mid 60s evolved into other stuff. The Byrds type of music evolved into the Burrito Brothers, Poco, the Eagles etc. The Yardbirds, Kinks, Stones type of music sort of evolved into Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin.

It seems that with sunshine pop, there was no real next step and by 1969 or 1970, that type of music was extinct not only on FM, but even on AM radio.

Looks that way, doesn't it. Not sure if Pete Frame's indispensable Rock Family Trees can shed any light on it----I'll look there later tonight...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_pop

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 02:18:43 PM »

I don't know if I agree with premise so much ... I think sunshine pop was not really a definable genre until later on, in retrospect. I would say it evolved into 70s AM gold, Partridge Family, Carpenters, ABBA, and on ... which I'll personally take over the Eagles and Stones any day!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 02:19:41 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 07:05:39 PM »

You could argue that most rock genres died out. Look at the music scene today, very little of it is actual rock music. Rock had its time and space, and might make a comeback at some point but right now it's quite marginal as a creative force. Lots of indie landfill, uncreative punk pop etc going on though.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 08:21:47 PM »

I don't know if I agree with premise so much ... I think sunshine pop was not really a definable genre until later on, in retrospect. I would say it evolved into 70s AM gold, Partridge Family, Carpenters, ABBA, and on ... which I'll personally take over the Eagles and Stones any day!
Me, too. David Cassidy was actually a very fine singer; i'll take his mellow singing over a lot of the screaming that passes for singing in rock music. Karen Carpenter - what a voice, and Richard was very good with those arrangements. And then there is Abba - 2 guys that wrote and produced great songs, and 2 girls that sang them beautifully, and looked beautiful, too!
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 10:26:13 AM »

During it's heyday, what we now call Sunshine Pop would have been seen as folk rock ( Mamas and Pappas, the Association) or psychedelic pop (Millennium, Sagittarius).

To the extent that SP had psychedelic elements, that aspect died when psychedelia died, at the end of the 60s. The folk rock elements was absorbed into 70s country rock.
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 11:11:37 AM »

I'd like to ask the original poster which songs come to mind when talking about Sunshine Pop? For one thing, as far as I know, the term was never used in the 60s but only added to certain type of songs later on among collectors.

Personally, I would normally use the term for the more bouncy and sunny harmony pop of the 60s; Good Vibrations, Wouldn't It Be Nice, Little Girl I Once Knew by the boys, 'Happy Together' by the Turtles, 'I Could be so Good to You' by Don & the Goodtimes, 'My World Fell Down' by Sagittarius, 'It Could be We're in Love' by the Cryan' Shames, 'Just my Style' by Gary Lewis & the Playboys, 'Happiness Is' by The Association etc.... you get the picture  Cheesy ....and there are many examples to choose from. If that's the definition of sunshine pop we're talking about then I would argue that a lot of what made those songs work - good harmonies, great hooks, a bouncy, jubilent feel - lived on in bubblegum music and other sub-genres with rougher production values.

Some have much broader definitions of sunshine pop which is just fine. Everything is open to discussion. I know that some collectors include much more psychadelic stuff or music that's very close to be termed muzak or easy listening by others. The term 'soft pop' at the very least seems to be much broader.... And if THAT'S what we're discussing here, then, yes, as others have mentioned, you could point to a shitload of artists from the 70s and onwards who took their cue from the sunnier and softer sides of 60s pop,... the Carpenters, case in point. America could be another example.

Fun topic to discuss. Anyone interested in all this should check of Domenic Priore's and Brian Chidester's way cool book 'Pop Surf Culture' which came out in the late 00s. It is a great write-up on the Beach Boys and similar acts and how their harmony sound went into the melting pot with surf culture and the California way of life and gave way to an aesthetic that can be found popping up in lots of areas.

On Pinterest I compiled a mood board years ago with images and music videoes that could readily fit the sunshine pop and soft pop genres, however you'd go about discussing them. Some here might dig it: https://www.pinterest.dk/kwandk/california-montage

dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 02:59:34 PM »

I'd like to ask the original poster which songs come to mind when talking about Sunshine Pop?

basically the Association, Mamas and Papas, Turtles, Fifth Dimension. Stuff along those lines.

Some have much broader definitions of sunshine pop which is just fine. Everything is open to discussion. I know that some collectors include much more psychadelic stuff or music that's very close to be termed muzak or easy listening by others. The term 'soft pop' at the very least seems to be much broader.... And if THAT'S what we're discussing here, then, yes, as others have mentioned, you could point to a shitload of artists from the 70s and onwards who took their cue from the sunnier and softer sides of 60s pop,... the Carpenters, case in point. America could be another example.

That's like an insult to America. I viewed them more as Neil Young influenced.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 03:11:41 PM »

Yup, sunshine pop was a musical dead end, kinda like the blues was.  Or in fact anything.  In the long run, as the "great" economist Keynes said, we are all dead....
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 03:23:04 PM »

Yup, sunshine pop was a musical dead end, kinda like the blues was.  Or in fact anything.  In the long run, as the "great" economist Keynes said, we are all dead....

Speak for yourself. But I do know someone who is.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 03:25:19 PM »

In the long run, as the "great" economist Keynes said, we are all dead....

Big surprise, another Mike Love obsessed right winger. Sure is odd that most of the Mike ball-lickers dig the grabber-in-chief as well.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 05:12:04 PM »

How the hell was blues even remotely a musical dead end? Considering that R&B, rock & roll and hard rock (among other genres) all have blues in their DNA, it’d be akin to saying that The Beatles were not influential. What utter nonsense.

Also, Keynesian economics was right for its time, and had Keynes lived to see the end of the postwar boom and the rise of stagflation, he would have absolutely argued for an alternative economic remedy to combat that.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 06:35:55 PM »

I never even knew that stuff had its own name. I mean, the BB were surf rock of course, but I didn't know the other stuff had a name.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 12:35:47 AM »

I'd like to ask the original poster which songs come to mind when talking about Sunshine Pop?

basically the Association, Mamas and Papas, Turtles, Fifth Dimension. Stuff along those lines.

That's like an insult to America. I viewed them more as Neil Young influenced.
Dewey Bunnell was the one that sounded like Neil Young and wrote the songs full of strange imagery. Gerry Beckley was more of a Brian Wilson/Paul McCartney pop writer. Dan Peek's stuff leaned a bit towards the country side.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 09:04:06 AM »

How the hell was blues even remotely a musical dead end?

I think you just fell down the sar-chasm

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sarchasm
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx