gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:19:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys are the only ones who can sing like the Beach Boys  (Read 7784 times)
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2017, 04:49:55 PM »

The Beatles were fantastic but it is not the same as recordings by Brian Wilson.

Only the volume of the Beach Boys is better than the entire output of the Rolling Stones.

The eerie sequences that make me sink into dizziness are from the Beach Boys and not from the Kinks.

The acoustic trails for pleasure are among the Beach Boys. Not The Doors. Not ZZ Top. Not even Bros.

I love the Beach Boys
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 05:27:50 PM »

No.  Not true.  The current Beach Boys...sorry Beached Boys...can't sing like the Beach Boys  And they have 1  1/2 originals within their ranks.  Brian's crew comes closest...but they don't have Brian [from the Beach Boys era] or Carl in the band so... ... ...NO!!!  Even if they do have Al it's not what it once was.   No Carl?  No Beach Boys.

That said Mike's 'bass' parts are ever-so-easily duplicated.  Hell's bells...even 'he', at his advanced age...and barely only able to whisper into the microphone and vocal enhancer...can still almost 'do' it.  Old nose boy is the one most easily replaced...both he AND Bruce really.  And no one can replicate Denny though.  Not a soul.

So...as admirable as the premise is...it's no longer accurate.

NOBODY can sing like the Beach Boys did between 1963 and 1974.  Not even the survivors.

[out of respect both factions still do it better than anyone else out there giving it a whirl.]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 06:50:48 PM »

The Beach Boys are fuckin awesome. You’re right: NO ONE can sing like The Beach Boys. Brian, Mike, al, Bruce, Carl, Dennis had the most unique and cool voices, and they all melded so damn well together in harmony.

Whether it be Brian and Roger Christian, Brian and Love, Brian and Asher, Mike and Dennis, Dennis and Brian - these guys could write some damn great songs.

This Whole World - an atmospheric anthem about how awesome this planet is.
Steamboat - listen to this and try to not let it take you to a far off time on a Steamboat.
Fun, Fun, Fun - a timeless anthem of youth.

These guys did it all, they were the best of all time...I’m just super glad the universe gave me consciousness during this time so I could experience this music for myself.

Great post, OP.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 03:21:15 AM »

Kudos, Hickory Violet. This is the kind of heartwarming topic that makes me glad I still visit (and post) here.

Funny how a description of how good the BB are is enough to elevate one to cloud nine... Great post from Rab too.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 10:40:01 AM »

IMHO.. The Beach Boys are the GREATEST vocal group of the 20th century.. I know im biased but i believe its true.. No other group or vocalist has ever been able to stir my emotions and tears.. PERIOD
blueeyedtreefrog
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 11:05:40 AM »

The Beatles were fantastic but it is not the same as recordings by Brian Wilson.

Only the volume of the Beach Boys is better than the entire output of the Rolling Stones.

The eerie sequences that make me sink into dizziness are from the Beach Boys and not from the Kinks.

The acoustic trails for pleasure are among the Beach Boys. Not The Doors. Not ZZ Top. Not even Bros.

I love the Beach Boys

I agree.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 11:47:44 AM »

Why does saying how much you like the Beach Boys have to involve telling us what else you *don't* like?

What's wrong with "The Beach Boys are great because......" instead of "The Beach Boys are BETTER than......"

The Beatles aren't the same as the Beach Boys and the Beach Boys aren't the same as the Beatles.

Objectively speaking, I would say even all of the Beach Boys themselves, barring possibly Mike Love (and probably even him) would have no problem telling you that in terms of the *big picture*, there was the Beatles and then *everything else.*

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 11:49:57 AM »

No.  Not true.  The current Beach Boys...sorry Beached Boys...can't sing like the Beach Boys  And they have 1  1/2 originals within their ranks.  Brian's crew comes closest...but they don't have Brian [from the Beach Boys era] or Carl in the band so... ... ...NO!!!  Even if they do have Al it's not what it once was.   No Carl?  No Beach Boys.

That said Mike's 'bass' parts are ever-so-easily duplicated.  Hell's bells...even 'he', at his advanced age...and barely only able to whisper into the microphone and vocal enhancer...can still almost 'do' it.  Old nose boy is the one most easily replaced...both he AND Bruce really.  And no one can replicate Denny though.  Not a soul.

NOBODY can sing like the Beach Boys did between 1963 and 1974.  Not even the survivors.

[out of respect both factions still do it better than anyone else out there giving it a whirl.]

I don't think anybody much has ever argued the 2017 members individually or collectively sound like they did in their prime. I would say Al Jardine's voice is pretty much the same as it was 30 years ago, though.

I *do* think, in the studio, and without 27 layers of Fosketts, the remaining members *can* get pretty darn close to their 70s/80s excellent blend. You can hear it during the intro to "Pacific Coast Highway", where you can *almost* hear Carl's voice peaking through because all the other parts are for once all there (Al's mid-range and Mike's bass in particular).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 11:18:34 PM »

Objectively speaking, I would say even all of the Beach Boys themselves, barring possibly Mike Love (and probably even him) would have no problem telling you that in terms of the *big picture*, there was the Beatles and then *everything else.*

Only if you were blinkered enough to think popular culture only began with Heartbreak Hotel.

But my OP was tongue in cheek, albeit from the heart. Bit of drunken poetry. All mates together, so to speak.

There are a pattern to these Friday night posts you know. LOL

Expect more later
KDS
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 05:36:08 AM »

I don't think anybody much has ever argued the 2017 members individually or collectively sound like they did in their prime. I would say Al Jardine's voice is pretty much the same as it was 30 years ago, though.

I *do* think, in the studio, and without 27 layers of Fosketts, the remaining members *can* get pretty darn close to their 70s/80s excellent blend. You can hear it during the intro to "Pacific Coast Highway", where you can *almost* hear Carl's voice peaking through because all the other parts are for once all there (Al's mid-range and Mike's bass in particular).

The intro to PCH might be my favorite recorded BB related moment of the last 40+ years. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 06:30:45 AM »

Only if you were blinkered enough to think popular culture only began with Heartbreak Hotel.

But my OP was tongue in cheek, albeit from the heart. Bit of drunken poetry. All mates together, so to speak.

There are a pattern to these Friday night posts you know. LOL

Expect more later

I've been on this board since its inception 12 years ago and I've never kept track of which day of the week someone is posting specific type of content, nor had to try to guess whether they're drinking. So I don't plan to start now.  LOL

There are undoubtedly some drunken posts in the Sandbox.

As for putting the Beatles in context vis-à-vis the Beach Boys, I was of course referring to their shared common era/timeframe most specifically. We can start pre-Elvis too; that's fine. The same holds true if we go back that far as well.

Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 08:10:37 AM »

We can start pre-Elvis too; that's fine. The same holds true if we go back that far as well.

Now who's posting drunk?
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 06:17:42 AM »

Just because you can hit the same notes does not make the vocal stack sound the same. You have to feel what you are singing. When Bruce was added his vocals stuck out like a sore thumb. Not in a bad way as he blended well, but enough where you say, "hey, there is a different voice there..." Considering that in certain songs, I cannot always tell the difference between Al and Brian, Mike and Dennis or Carl and Brian - Bruce sounded unique. Nobody can recreate that blend.

The band is in an interesting position because although the vocal model Brian used was the Four Freshmen, the Beach Boys sounded better than the singers they emulated. So perfect when you listen to their a cappella arrangements that they cannot be improved upon. Therefore, anyone who tries using this type of harmony in music will be compared to the Beach Boys.

Brian's often unorthodox arrangements contributed to their later sounds, adding jazz chords where you would not normally expect them. The intricacies of the music are often lost because the vocals either smooth the music - making the odd chord voicings sound "normal" - or they almost cover them completely.

And lastly, they make melancholy songs sound paradoxically upbeat. Other songs you find yourself singing along to without realizing the context of the song. "Wait, 'Don't Worry Baby' is about what?"

So when you say the Beach Boys are the only ones who can sing like the Beach Boys, these are a few things that come to my mind. If another band utilizes all of the elements, they still will not sing like the Beach Boys. Weird.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 06:41:24 AM »

Well...with the exception of Bru...they did have the added practice of having sung together long before the band officially came together.  What other group save Robin, Maurice, Barry and other family bands like the Isleys can say that?  And of course...the Beach Boys  W E R E  the only band who could sing like the Beach Boys... .... ...Brian's crew comes closest these days.  And the 'nose' can still whisper his leads into the mic so there is some semblance of a similarity there.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 06:43:14 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 08:26:19 AM »

Thinking back on hearing the Br00thster added to the stack or solo, I categorized his voice as thin and tinny with a shrill tone to it. To me, it stuck out like a sore thumb especially on Sunflower and Surf's Up.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 10:55:59 AM »

I think the closest the Beatles came harmony wise was Because. Ironically, my favorite Beatle song.
One thing I have noticed about others that sing like the Beach Boys is that the high falsetto parts often sound too shrill. Brian was one of the most beautiful falsetto singers I have heard from 62-73

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Uncle Walter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 11:48:12 AM »

The Beatles had great harmonies of course, but their harmonies sound a bit "worked" and maybe blue collar is another good adjective. They were not nearly as effortless or as perfect sounding as the Beach Boys. I hear harmonies like on Please Let Me Wonder, Our Prayer, Surfer Girl, Girls on the Beach, even in later years like the end of Surf's Up, the bridge of Disney Girls, Til I Die... I think the end of that vocal sound was with the changing of Brian and Dennis' voices (and the tragic loss of Dennis in 83). When the voices became something less than beautiful, the vocal stack suffered as a whole, and no amount of Fosketts, Bakers, young Jardines, etc can bring it back. Thank god we have so much recorded.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 11:52:20 AM by Uncle Walter » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 12:01:05 PM »

The Beatles had great harmonies of course, but their harmonies sound a bit "worked" and maybe blue collar is another good adjective. They were not nearly as effortless or as perfect sounding as the Beach Boys. I hear harmonies like on Please Let Me Wonder, Our Prayer, Surfer Girl, Girls on the Beach, even in later years like the end of Surf's Up, the bridge of Disney Girls, Til I Die... I think the end of that vocal sound was with the changing of Brian and Dennis' voices (and the tragic loss of Dennis in 83). When the voices became something less than beautiful, the vocal stack suffered as a whole, and no amount of Fosketts, Bakers, young Jardines, etc can bring it back. Thank god we have so much recorded.
Totally agree-good post Uncle.  Smiley

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 02:41:41 PM »

Ya...top of the line Uncle Walter.  You too MTR.  The Fabs had a chance to hone their skills...and harmonies...playing as much as they did in local clubs and over in Germany.  THAT was a real school [of hard knocks] which contributed to their abilities so that when they hit the 'big time'...they were as ready as ready could be.  It gave them a leg up over many of their contemporaries in the studio too.   The Beach Boys kind of had to learn on the job.  Fortunately they had all of those years at home and over at the cousin's house to get their 'act' together.  [and they had Brian.]  Vocally they were always light years a head...and the arrangements were often exceedingly more complex.  'Because' is a nice try though for sure.  Well done to say the least.

jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 05:29:51 PM »

One thing I have noticed about others that sing like the Beach Boys is that the high falsetto parts often sound too shrill. Brian was one of the most beautiful falsetto singers I have heard from 62-73

Kinda reminds me how Rolling Stone magazine once rated Kurt Cobain as a better singer than Brian. Kurt’s listed at #45, while Brian’s at #52. What an absolute joke...

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 10:30:47 PM »

Kinda reminds me how Rolling Stone magazine once rated Kurt Cobain as a better singer than Brian. Kurt’s listed at #45, while Brian’s at #52. What an absolute joke...
There aren't many falsetto's I like. Brian's always sounded sweet and beautiful.
ericxplackis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 05:07:32 AM »

LOL  LOL  LOL
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 09:01:02 AM »

I think it's already been said but just to add to the Beatles voices versus Beach Boys voices: That's natural and easy to explain the differences. The Beatles vocal blends did have a harder edge because they learned how to sing listening to more blues and R&B influenced singers. Lennon in particular took a lot from Gene Vincent, Elvis, Smokey Robinson (listen to Lennon simply tear it up on the bridges to This Boy, Yes It Is, and that amazing intro to Mr. Moonlight...that's pure R&B belting). McCartney and Lennon learned how to harmonize listening to the Everlys, Buddy Holly, etc...so that was a common influence, but the Beatles overall learned their skills listening to singers with a heavier and harsher blues and R&B style than the Beach Boys were into, even if Carl was into Western Swing and Mike was doing bass in doo-wop groups at school. That's who they modeled themselves after, not "smooth" group vocals of the kind Brian was hearing in his teens while learning the same things from records.

What I *DO* hear, without a doubt or possible argument, is that The Beatles took a lot of influence from Brian's records even going back to years like 1963 earlier than a lot might cite. By the time it got to 1965...especially on Revolver obviously (after the private Pet Sounds listening party), there were more overt attempts to present a tighter and smoother vocal blend that was more in line with what Brian was doing versus the Motown records. It's hard to explain, I could try, but ultimately you know it when you hear it. It's not just in the sound or delivery, but in the way the vocal blends were being used in the songs.

And, I'll always say, a groups true fastball is having two strong lead singers with distinctive voices who could trade leads in and out of a song. That's devastating. It cuts through the speakers brilliantly. BB's had Brian and Mike in the early days, the Beatles of course had John and Paul.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2017, 02:28:13 PM »

I was actually listening to the Association's Greatest Hits today and I think they might be one of the few bands whose harmonies were as skillful and elaborate as the BB's.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2017, 03:25:29 PM »

I was actually listening to the Association's Greatest Hits today and I think they might be one of the few bands whose harmonies were as skillful and elaborate as the BB's.

Yes.  They were an excellent group.  VERY good songs to great songs.  [and albums]   They are so much more than just Cherish and Never My Love...not that those aren't excellent songs...obviously inspired by Brian.  Terry Melcher was their production guy for awhile.  Originals Jim Yester and Jules Alexander are still with the Association.

*** Jim's brother Jerry...apparently a LOT of an odd-ball/child porn?...was formerly associated with the Lovin' Spoonful, The Turtles, Tom Waits and the Association

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx