gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:53:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hi everyone  (Read 6201 times)
doodledoo
Smiley Smile Newbie

I've been in this town so long.

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2017, 10:46:33 PM »

Hi everyone  Smiley  Just a former lurker who finally decided to step into the light...

Here's my story: I liked The Beach Boys as a little kid, briefly thought they were lame in middle school, quickly realized the error of my ways in high school and they've been my favorite band ever since.

A few random Beach Boy tidbits about me:

• AlternateBrianWilson Presents Smile is my favorite version of Smile
• Love You is my favorite album of the band's '70s output
• I don't hate "Kokomo" as much I as I probably should

Anyways, I'm excited to share with and learn from y'all.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:46:20 PM by doodledoo » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 02:23:27 AM »

Hi, doodledoo, and welcome! I hope you enjoy your time at Smiley----there's plenty of love for Love You around here. :=) 

And don't feel you have to hate "Kokomo"! I'm always glad to hear it in the local supermarket, where it stands out from the usual gunk.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 02:27:36 AM »

Welcome! Agreed with all your points, though I think Holland is my favorite ‘70s album from them. Love You is in my top 3, perhaps number 2 on that ‘70s list though...doesn’t get much better than ‘I’ll Bet He’s Nice’

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 03:11:54 AM »

Welcome! Love You is my favorite album too Smiley
KDS
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 06:02:20 AM »

Hi everyone  Smiley  Just a former lurker who finally decided to step into the light...

Here's my story: I liked The Beach Boys as a little kid, briefly thought they were lame in middle school, quickly realized the error of my ways in high school and they've been my favorite band since then.

A few random Beach Boy tidbits about me:

• AlternateBrianWilson Presents Smile is my favorite version of Smile
• Love You is my favorite album of the band's '70s output
• I don't hate "Kokomo" as much I as I probably should

Anyways, I'm excited to share with and learn from y'all.

Welcome.  I think a lot of the hate for Kokomo comes from overexposure, and the fact that the popularity among the general public exceeds some of the Boys' better material, much like Barbara Ann. 
blueeyedtreefrog
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 08:52:38 AM »

Welcome! Me too, I really love Love you, what a masterpiece!
doodledoo
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 12:46:00 PM »

Thanks everyone for welcoming me! And it's good to know I can secretly kind of like Kokomo here  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:46:48 PM by doodledoo » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 01:13:55 PM »

Welcome aboard! I has a similar experience. ..as a kid they were a guilty pleasure,  as a teen during the whole grunge thing, I convinced myself that I didn't like them, but became a fan in q995 after going through some personal issues, pet sounds spoke to my soul...and here I am now.

I like Kokomo minus the sax solo. When I went to a reunion ahow, when it was played, I saw this rough looking tatted up goth dude literally skip down the hill joyously singing along, so you're not alone!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 01:18:46 PM »

Oh, and I talked to the guy after the show. His girlfriend wanted to go, and he had thought they were lame previously cause he just knew them as the 80's full house type thing. He left as a die hard and was asking me about different albums...all this is that and I just wasn't made for these times especially hit him. Old dude was rather embarrassed cause I saw his reaction to Kokomo.

So you never know. Like what you like, cause mam this band had some killer music

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
doodledoo
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 06:55:46 PM »

Welcome aboard! I has a similar experience. ..as a kid they were a guilty pleasure,  as a teen during the whole grunge thing, I convinced myself that I didn't like them, but became a fan in q995 after going through some personal issues, pet sounds spoke to my soul...and here I am now.

I like Kokomo minus the sax solo. When I went to a reunion ahow, when it was played, I saw this rough looking tatted up goth dude literally skip down the hill joyously singing along, so you're not alone!

That's cool we had similar experiences leading to BB fandom. And I totally agree about the sax solo. Would much rather just listen to Van Dyke Parks' accordion instead.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx