-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:50:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Hockey 2017- 2018 Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hockey 2017- 2018 Thread  (Read 34059 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 08:55:28 AM »

Here is who I would want. If history is any indication, I would bet on the opposite:

Preds v Avs = Preds - hope they win the Cup this year
Jets v Wild = Jets
Knights v Kings = ugh...a no-win situation for me but I'll go with the Knights. Shockingly great year.
Ducks v Sharks = see above. Ducks, I guess. Can't stand either team.

Bolts v Devs = Devils
Bruins v Leafs = This is a real struggle. Can't stand either team here either. I'll say Leafs though. Hope either team is out by round 2.
Caps v Jackets = Caps
Pens v Flyers = Pens for sure. Flyers are my least favourite hockey team.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:00:37 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2018, 10:26:29 AM »

Here is who I would want. If history is any indication, I would bet on the opposite:

Preds v Avs = Preds - hope they win the Cup this year
Jets v Wild = Jets
Knights v Kings = ugh...a no-win situation for me but I'll go with the Knights. Shockingly great year.
Ducks v Sharks = see above. Ducks, I guess. Can't stand either team.

Bolts v Devs = Devils
Bruins v Leafs = This is a real struggle. Can't stand either team here either. I'll say Leafs though. Hope either team is out by round 2.
Caps v Jackets = Caps
Pens v Flyers = Pens for sure. Flyers are my least favourite hockey team.

Lol, yes nothing if unpredictable
Don't know why I can't totally get behind Preds..but I'm not an Av's fan
Ya I'll root for Jets. Wild deserve a deep run though.
Vegas has had an amazing run. LAK: it's a hard call to make on this team. Goaltending could be the deciding factor.
Ducks/Sharks..With you on this series...don't care for either squad

Pray for a Devs upset
I'll go with The B's
Could CBJ take down Caps? Might be Washington's year to squeak through
You can't count out the Pens, and it seems like they are building for another run.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2018, 11:00:58 AM »

In my view, Montreal trading Subban to the Preds for Weber goes down as one of the worst moves the Canadiens have made since trading Patrick Roy for Jocelyn Thibault and Chris Chelios for Denis Savard. What a history of buffoonery.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2018, 01:26:58 PM »

Caps over Columbus in six.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2018, 07:07:09 AM »

In my view, Montreal trading Subban to the Preds for Weber goes down as one of the worst moves the Canadiens have made since trading Patrick Roy for Jocelyn Thibault and Chris Chelios for Denis Savard. What a history of buffoonery.

It's certainly starting to look like the Pred's got the better of the deal.
At face value though, you traded a premiere D for a premiere D. In spite of the fact that PK showed himself to be a leader on and off the ice in MTL, there was obviously something that wasn't working out. Was that PK's fault? Probably not entirely. But he's a different cat, and the hockey culture in Habs land is fairly conservative. From the beginning, he would have been a way better fit in another market.
You win on the ice, but you can lose just as easily in the dressing room. It cannot be overstated how important a happy room is for team success. (This is a major problem in Ottawa btw)
In 2 years, the NHL game has totally changed. Priority has completely shifted. You need speed up the middle, first and foremost. Then you need a puck moving Dman. If you don't have those two things, you're done..even more than having a solid Goaltender, though obviously still a key to winning..but not like it was.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2018, 07:09:11 AM »

We'll hold you to that! Old Man Old Man
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2018, 08:43:33 AM »

It's certainly starting to look like the Pred's got the better of the deal.
At face value though, you traded a premiere D for a premiere D. In spite of the fact that PK showed himself to be a leader on and off the ice in MTL, there was obviously something that wasn't working out. Was that PK's fault? Probably not entirely. But he's a different cat, and the hockey culture in Habs land is fairly conservative. From the beginning, he would have been a way better fit in another market.
You win on the ice, but you can lose just as easily in the dressing room. It cannot be overstated how important a happy room is for team success. (This is a major problem in Ottawa btw)
In 2 years, the NHL game has totally changed. Priority has completely shifted. You need speed up the middle, first and foremost. Then you need a puck moving Dman. If you don't have those two things, you're done..even more than having a solid Goaltender, though obviously still a key to winning..but not like it was.

I agree but I will also add that if the team couldn't get it to work with Subban, then there's something fundamentally flawed with the team and in my view that's true. I really think that trading him away kicked in the stomach to the spirit of the Montreal fan base. Count me as one Habs fan who feels that Bergevin has been the most crucial figure in turning that team into the disaster it is. Just to stay on the Subban/Weber trade, even if one were to potentially see it as a trade of equals, we still got loaded with a higher-salary, making obtaining another great player less of a possibility. I think that the decision of the last few years have been so poorly thought through that it genuinely comes as no surprise that this season ended up as it did.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2018, 11:03:23 AM »

We'll hold you to that! Old Man Old Man
Good thing my area sells molson during the nhl playoffs! Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2018, 11:29:05 AM »

I grew up and still live in Northeast Ohio. I started playing hockey in the late 1980s when there was no home state team to root for, so I need to look elsewhere. Being bred on Cleveland professional sports, I couldn't fathom rooting for the two perennial winners in the neighboring states (Red Wings and Penguins), so went for the next closest in Buffalo. Those late '80s and early '90s teams were great, with Pat LaFontaine, Alex Mogilny, Dominic Hasek and others. I quit playing in high school and strayed away as a fan, so of course the made it to the finals in 1999 and then Ohio got its own professional team in Columbus the next year.

The Sabres' 2007 run kind of lured me back, but it's hard to be a hockey fan in northern Ohio, especially when you don't have cable. It's rare to see any kind of game on network TV, and we don't even get much coverage of the Blue Jackets in the local papers. I try to keep up by reading online sources. I was really excited about Jack Eichel. There is some good, young talent on the team now. But holy cow was Buffalo terrible this year!

At least I can still root for my secondary. That is, until the Caps boot them in the first round.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2018, 12:12:30 PM »

CBJ aren't making it easy!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2018, 01:02:38 PM »

Goaltending is killing us between Grubauer and Holtby...

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2018, 01:19:31 PM »

To be fair, Caps deserved game 2. A few bad bounces. I think Ovie had 10 shots!. Anyway, not over yet,but Game 3 is massive (as it always is)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2018, 01:47:39 PM »

Ovi was on fire last night!

NJ needs to win against TB tonight.

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2018, 07:30:00 AM »

Ovi was on fire last night!

NJ needs to win against TB tonight.

Dev's got the win..but that's a tall order to take series.
Sharks are rolling over the Ducks.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2018, 05:38:05 AM »

Caps in 6. Good prognosticating!!
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2018, 07:36:19 AM »

As I figured, Columbus is knocked out in the first round. Now, I need to throw my allegiance behind someone else ... hmm.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2018, 05:38:11 PM »

Caps Vs. Pens, not even going to think this one out today....

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2018, 08:57:31 AM »

Game seven of Boston vs. Leafs.....

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2018, 02:11:36 PM »

Round 2 well underway

Bos v TB
Pens v Caps
LVK vs SJS
Win v Preds

Vegas slammed the Sharks in game 1. I just haven't had the chance to follow either team this year. Vegas continues to amaze. You wonder if such a drubbing will cause a big pushback fron San Jose? We'll see what they are made of.

The 'Peg' gets a win in game 1.. But Preds threw damn near 50 shots at them

You'd think Caps-Pens will be a long series.

Bos leading game 1 , after 2 as I write this.
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2018, 07:28:40 AM »

Since my team is out, I think I'm throwing my support behind Vegas, even though the idea of hockey in the desert is absurd. Crazy how well they've done this year. Fleury has been great in net, and Karlsson has been a dynamo. And their pregrame ceremonies are ridiculous. They leaned hard into the Vegas glitz and theatrics.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2018, 08:00:26 AM »

Since my team is out, I think I'm throwing my support behind Vegas, even though the idea of hockey in the desert is absurd. Crazy how well they've done this year. Fleury has been great in net, and Karlsson has been a dynamo. And their pregrame ceremonies are ridiculous. They leaned hard into the Vegas glitz and theatrics.

They've got as much of a shot as anyone at this point. Normally I'd worry as whatever team comes out of Preds/Jets will be a beast, but VGK are at the point where they deserve to be respected.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2018, 09:40:42 AM »

Pens vs. Caps are going the distance like juice predicted...

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2018, 06:53:21 AM »

Caps are moving on. They got a shot.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2018, 02:09:08 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:21:48 PM by zatch » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2018, 02:16:07 PM »

Let’s go Caps!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: