gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:28:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Livin With a Heartache  (Read 4576 times)
windchimes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2006, 09:21:00 AM »

Wow,

This song is so cool. When I got the KTSA two fer this past weekend, I was sure if there was going to be anything good besides the usuals (goin on, getcha back) But this Carl tune is so great and fresh. Does anybody know what type of sound carl was going for here? I mean, he does use is usual big vibrato that he usual does, in fact, he doesnt have one at all. My brother and I noticed that this was a more Eagles, America style song. Any thoughts?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 10:26:59 AM »

Wow,

This song is so cool. When I got the KTSA two fer this past weekend, I was sure if there was going to be anything good besides the usuals (goin on, getcha back) But this Carl tune is so great and fresh. Does anybody know what type of sound carl was going for here? I mean, he does use is usual big vibrato that he usual does, in fact, he doesnt have one at all. My brother and I noticed that this was a more Eagles, America style song. Any thoughts?

It was an attempt at a country-western crossover.  In fact, I rememer it being played on the local AM station in my hometown when it was released as a single, and the DJ commented on the fact that the Beach Boys seemed to be "going country" with this one.
windchimes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 02:33:20 PM »

Yeah, I really like it!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 03:15:04 PM »

I like it too. Shame we seem to be in the minority though...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 03:20:45 PM »

I like it too. Shame we seem to be in the minority though...
Oh no, Mr. Bill! I love it too! Carl was doing some of his best vocal work around this time, raising his game a notch or so.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 03:23:33 PM »

No kidding. Honestly, some of his vocals in the late 70s were really off (esp. The Night Was so Young), so hearing how good his voice became again later is certainly a good thing.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wilsonista
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 05:26:02 PM »

Maybe a lot of that was due to the fact that Carl by 1980 was clean.
MBE
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 06:28:06 PM »

I think 1980 is Carl's best vocal era and he looked cool too. Of course 77-8 he sounded pretty bad, but though his voice was always good, by the time of Still Crusin it had declined a little. I like Heartache but it goes on too long. I bet the 45 version is better. I should get that.
windchimes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 06:32:18 PM »

I think 1980 is Carl's best vocal era and he looked cool too. Of course 77-8 he sounded pretty bad, but though his voice was always good, by the time of Still Crusin it had declined a little. I like Heartache but it goes on too long. I bet the 45 version is better. I should get that.

Ah yes, I too noticed that it was a tad long, but I cant get enough of his voice on this one. Dont get me wrong, I love Carls big vibrato, but I reall ylove this clean approach. Did the Beach Boys sing backround vocals on this one? It coul dbe them, but I cant really tell.

This song really grooves
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 06:37:51 PM »

I think 1980 is Carl's best vocal era and he looked cool too.

Agree. Take a look at how many lead vocals Carl has on L.A. Light Album, Keepin' The Summer Alive, AND Beach Boys 1985. I think the group saw Carl coming into his own and went with it. Smart move. Damn, I miss him...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 07:30:08 PM »

Y'know, everybody slags BB85 due to its production,but I quite dig the songs Carl sings. To me, THIS is what his two solos should've sounded like. Actually, the only sore spot to that album are Brian's leads. But yeah, Carl owned on those.

SG7
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 07:43:58 PM »

The songs with Carl saved KTSA for me  Grin
MBE
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 10:35:51 PM »

85 has really poor production in my opinion, but I would love to hear something like Where I Belong done acoustically. I do think Carl's solo albums and KTSA have some great moments from him. Nothing to challenge his work from 71-3 maybe but they do show him at his most energetic.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:30:11 AM by MBE » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 12:34:14 AM »

"Livin' with a Heartache" apparently was, in the short term, a relative "fan favorite", at least among fans attending shows. During the April, 1980 Philadelphia BB show that was simulcast to a number of radio markets, Mike mentions that they've been getting a lot of requests to do the song, and they proceed the play it live. I don't think it lasted in the setlist very long. Even among 1980 shows it doesn't seem to pop up that much.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 08:27:19 AM »

Did the Beach Boys sing backround vocals on this one? It coul dbe them, but I cant really tell.

This song really grooves

No. Carl's the only BB on the track. The bvs are Curt Becher, Terry Melcher & Jon Joyce.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 09:31:26 AM »

A really underrated song! One of my favorites from that era.

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 09:43:49 AM »

Chalk me down or another lover of this song...

In the late 70s and the 80s part of me wished (and expected) the BBs had gone down that country route.  I didn't care too much for MIU and BBs ’85 (though LA and KTSA had some good stuff, and a few lively toons) and country seemed like it might have been a good road to go down -  I'm sure Al's contribution would have flowered then, judging by Santa Ana Winds.

And Carl's voice was the only one that actually improved, dramatically, with age. His soaring vocal on Kokomo ("ooo, I wanna take you down to kokomo, we'll get there fast...") is the ONLY redeeming feature of that song and one of his best vocal parts in my book. I get a tear in my eye sometimes when watching him perform on DVD.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 09:45:34 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
JoeP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 02:56:40 PM »

Carl, I thought was pretty consistent and there some good ones in that era - and he (and Dennis) shined on LA.

Yes 85 was overproduced, but I love "It's Gettin' Late"

So 80s, but to me, one of those 80's songs where it works.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 04:37:52 PM »

And Carl's voice was the only one that actually improved, dramatically, with age.

Agree, Wee!  If The Beach Boys could've come up with stronger material between say, 1980-1996, and paired it up with Carl's voice (which during that time was one of the best in the business, as it was in the 70's), they could've/would've achieved much more commercial success.
MBE
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2006, 01:46:56 AM »

It's funny I like Carl's young voice as much as his later. I think the 2 periods I like it best are 66-75 then 79-85.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2006, 09:56:52 AM »

No kidding. Honestly, some of his vocals in the late 70s were really off (esp. The Night Was so Young), so hearing how good his voice became again later is certainly a good thing.
Clean by what measurement?  Wink  He was still drinkin' (read the liners to KTSA CD) & chain smokin'.

I love love this album and song! I'll continue to defend it as it sounds closer to the Beach Boys recognizable sound than Love You, MIU, & L.A. It simply says 'FUN' more than the surrounding albums do.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2006, 12:32:02 PM »

I think 1980 is Carl's best vocal era and he looked cool too. Of course 77-8 he sounded pretty bad, but though his voice was always good, by the time of Still Crusin it had declined a little.

Can't say I agree completely.  I recently heard a live version of "This Whole World" from a 1988 concert and Carl TEARS IT UP.  One of his Top 5 vocals in my book. 

I enjoy his late-70's vocals too... "Go and Get That Girl" is a monster, and he totally nails it on "Full Sail".  Even the supposed bad stuff from that era ("Sweet Sunday", "Life Is for the Living") sounds great in my book.  What a talent!

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2006, 04:39:29 PM »

Clean by what measurement?  Wink  He was still drinkin' (read the liners to KTSA CD) & chain smokin'.

Drinking, yes... smoking, yes... doing smack, no.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2006, 10:06:40 PM »

It must be pointed out though that drink no longer impared Carl in 1980. I guess what I meant by fairly bad in 77-8 is compared to his own standard. He was still better then most. This Whole World from 88 is good but listen to the stuff for the country album and even SIP and you will  hear a difference from say Holland or KTSA.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx