gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:40:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mark Lindsay & Brian Wilson Aborted Collaboration  (Read 3630 times)
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2017, 05:50:12 PM »

According to a new interview from Mark Lindsay he and Brian wrote some songs together in 2013, excerpt:

MARK: Well, it’s not quite out yet but, it will be. It’s songs I started two or three years ago. I started… Brian Wilson was looking for songs for a solo album so, I started writing some songs that I thought were kind of like evocative of the period and that I could kind of hear the Beach Boys doing in that kind of style and… I presented them to him and he liked a lot of them but, then, I don’t know what happened… Maybe his producer didn’t care for the tunes. One thing led to another and nothing happened. The songs were just laying there, so I went, “Well, what the heck?” So, I went ahead and finished them myself and… uh… So, it’s like… it’s just kind of a slice of that time, that much… a kind of a… I don’t want to say softer edges… Well, yeah… A slightly different style of music than people probably expect from me. But, I think the songs are great and I had a lot of fun doing it and it’s going to be out soon. It’s called… It was started long before this 50 SUMMERS OF LOVE TOUR was proposed but, that’s the title of the project. It’s called SUMMER OF LOVE. I wrote a couple of songs with that title so, it kind of fits in but, it’ll be available quickly.

http://zacharymule.com/wp/?s=micky+dolenz
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:49:53 AM by baseball95 » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 06:27:09 PM »

I’m kinda confused, this sounds like Mark presented some song ideas to BW, BW management didn’t bite, then Mark finished them on his own - where is a collaboration mentioned?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 08:15:57 AM »

Yeah, it may be that "aborted recording collaboration" could be an appropriate term, if in fact they would have both participated in the recordings.

But the interview makes it sound like it was a case of asking for songs from outside writers. Perhaps Brian would have added/changed the songs before they were recorded.

Let's just hope Lindsay isn't covering the Mike/SIP "Summer of Love!"

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 09:51:12 AM »

Mark says he presented them to Brian...and I seem to recall a photo on FB in the Fall of '13 of them at the console together. I think it's likely that Brian did "something" with them and as all too often is the case, they never went anywhere. I guess Brian didn't actually contribute any new ideas or anything except maybe some vocals?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 12:05:57 PM »

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 12:55:41 PM »

Hmm...not necessarily a recording console. That could be at one of their houses for all we know...I also notice that Mark took a page from the Gospel of Mike with self-promoting on his own clothing so that people remember who you are.  Wink
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 01:10:23 PM »

Hmm...not necessarily a recording console. That could be at one of their houses for all we know...

Actually you can see faders to next to Brian's left arm. So yeah, in the studio.

By the way, am I losing it or doesn't anybody else remember something about how Brian and Mark were working on some kinda material for The Beach Boys in like 2012 or so?
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 02:15:13 PM »

"We collaborated on an unreleased song during the sessions for That’s Why God Made the Radio [2012], the first Beach Boys album of original material since Summer in Paradise arrived 20 years before. Incidentally, my good friend Terry Melcher produced the latter album.

It’s the first song we’ve written together. I’m not sure what the title will ultimately be because after the original rough sketch, the song became part of another, larger composition, so there may be a couple of additional writers on it. If I tell you the lyrics, I’ll let the cat out of the bag [laughs]. Let’s just say it’s a love song about a boy and a girl. I haven’t recorded any vocals at this point, but anything is possible. Brian really likes my voice."
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 02:41:02 PM »

There are of course supposedly a number of TWGMTR outtakes that haven't seen the light of day.

But considering Larry Dvoskin claimed "Waves of Love" was "c**k-blocked" (his words) from inclusion on TWGMTR, it probably wasn't easy for any additional writers to get extra room on the album. Mike already knew Joe Thomas was coming in with his bag of songs he did with Brian (and Mike apparently wasn't even happy *with that*). So additional writers getting a piece was probably an even more difficult prospect.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 04:38:26 PM »

Mark's complete interview with me from a couple of years ago can be found @ the below link. Thanks much for stumbling upon the ML / Brian quotes, clack.

Uncovering Mark Lindsay’s Musical Odyssey to the Rebel Raiders and Beyond
https://medium.com/@jeremylr/uncovering-mark-lindsays-musical-odyssey-to-the-rebel-raiders-and-beyond-48e7f73b3b
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:38:56 PM by jeremylr » Logged
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 05:33:57 PM »

^
The definitive article on the Raiders.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 07:51:37 PM »

Hmm...not necessarily a recording console. That could be at one of their houses for all we know...

Actually you can see faders to next to Brian's left arm. So yeah, in the studio.

By the way, am I losing it or doesn't anybody else remember something about how Brian and Mark were working on some kinda material for The Beach Boys in like 2012 or so?

Oh wow! What a dumbass am I.  LOL   So my memory was right after all, my eyes just failed me!  LOL
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 10:28:14 PM »

According to a new interview from Mark Lindsay he and Brian wrote some songs together in 2013, excerpt:

MARK: Well, it’s not quite out yet but, it will be. It’s songs I started two or three years ago. I started… Brian Wilson was looking for songs for a solo album so, I started writing some songs that I thought were kind of like evocative of the period and that I could kind of hear the Beach Boys doing in that kind of style and… I presented them to him and he liked a lot of them but, then, I don’t know what happened… Maybe his producer didn’t care for the tunes. One thing led to another and nothing happened. The songs were just laying there, so I went, “Well, what the heck?” So, I went ahead and finished them myself and… uh… So, it’s like… it’s just kind of a slice of that time, that much… a kind of a… I don’t want to say softer edges… Well, yeah… A slightly different style of music than people probably expect from me. But, I think the songs are great and I had a lot of fun doing it and it’s going to be out soon. It’s called… It was started long before this 50 SUMMERS OF LOVE TOUR was proposed but, that’s the title of the project. It’s called SUMMER OF LOVE. I wrote a couple of songs with that title so, it kind of fits in but, it’ll be available quickly.

http://zacharymule.com/wp/?s=micky+dolenz

So more key-in-hand songs from outside writers that, if Joe and Melinda had approved of them, would now appear on NPP as Brian Wilson cowrites, and we'd be discussing how "only BW could write songs like that"...
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 11:00:37 PM »

I wouldn't believe most of what Mark Lindsay says. He is talking now as if Summer of Love is a cd coming out in the near future, but last year, his wife was pushing the cd as if it was already finished, and taking pre-orders on their website. Nobody ever got the cd, nor was an explanation ever offered. A friend tried to resolve the issue with the Lindsays directly, but they didn't want to talk to him.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx