gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:30:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: What do i think of the mike love solo songs
Great! - 0 (0%)
Like it - 1 (20%)
Ok - 0 (0%)
Awfull - 4 (80%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why all the Mike Love bashing  (Read 28696 times)
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2017, 09:36:40 PM »

Thanks for alle your reply's 😎
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2017, 09:43:44 PM »

Yet another attempt to try fucking with this community that failed miserably. Unless taking to a stage in front of a live audience and joking about wanting to murder people on this board is somehow funny. Again, in the name of boosting or defending Mike and his legacy?

What draws these people and these odd behaviors into defending Mike Love and his legacy? Hey kids...let's launch vendettas, target and trash people, slander/lie/gossip, label people 'toxic', make sh*t up at random, threaten lawsuits and background checks...in the name of defending Mike. Then instead of owning the actions, say some key catch-phrases like "it's all about the music", "we love ALL the band members", and disappear. It's mind-boggling.

My favorite part is that all of the above is documented fact, yetttttt this place is so toxic because OSD calls ML “myke luhv“ -oh the humanity!

Speaking of “journalists” who don’t do their jobs, anyone remember Casey Hardmeyer’s bullshit NPP review for PopMatters? I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much disinformation in one review before....I mean, hate the album all you want, but at least do 10 minutes of research to back your claims before you publish...journalism 101 stuff.

Exactly. And 100% documented fact, yes. Unfortunately for too many gullible fans and those with agendas or axes to grind, they don't let documented facts get in the way of an agenda. Even more unfortunate is when people believe them.

So yeah, that journalist...The time when he came on the board is still documented too here on this site. It was a complete farce. If someone can find it, feel free to post the direct link so newcomers can see what kind of bullshit was being peddled here. I'll reserve comment beyond that. But definitely worth a revisit as a reminder.

And even more shameful is that some of that complete bullshit got picked up and reprinted by Wikipedia, so whoever reads that gets that impression of the album. What a crock.

Agreed 100%

Here is Wirestone’s brilliant reply to Hardmeyer’s “review” thing: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20283.msg510064.html#msg510064

Here is my spat with Hardmeyer: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,21372.msg541144.html#msg541144

Thanks for the refresher! It was worse than I remembered.

For the people bemoaning the lack of respect on this board as of 10/10/2017...see those links, read the back-and-forth, and note especially the review and the actions of the reviewer. Facts don't matter as long as you get an agenda-fueled click-bait article to upload out of the deal. Particularly respectful is how Brian Wilson is compared to wheeling Grandpa out for Thanksgiving dinner, and the reviewer himself offering opinions on those who gave the album 5 stars as if they're idiots...among other gems of wisdom and insight.

That's the respect that is no longer here? If so, I'm glad that funky notion of "respect" followed those now-departed people on full display in those discussions out the fucking door to more respectful communities of like-minded fans...

One thing I didn't take in account when I did my rant in that thread was Skype

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2017, 09:53:30 PM »

Yet another attempt to try fucking with this community that failed miserably. Unless taking to a stage in front of a live audience and joking about wanting to murder people on this board is somehow funny. Again, in the name of boosting or defending Mike and his legacy?

What draws these people and these odd behaviors into defending Mike Love and his legacy? Hey kids...let's launch vendettas, target and trash people, slander/lie/gossip, label people 'toxic', make sh*t up at random, threaten lawsuits and background checks...in the name of defending Mike. Then instead of owning the actions, say some key catch-phrases like "it's all about the music", "we love ALL the band members", and disappear. It's mind-boggling.

My favorite part is that all of the above is documented fact, yetttttt this place is so toxic because OSD calls ML “myke luhv“ -oh the humanity!

Speaking of “journalists” who don’t do their jobs, anyone remember Casey Hardmeyer’s bullshit NPP review for PopMatters? I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much disinformation in one review before....I mean, hate the album all you want, but at least do 10 minutes of research to back your claims before you publish...journalism 101 stuff.

Exactly. And 100% documented fact, yes. Unfortunately for too many gullible fans and those with agendas or axes to grind, they don't let documented facts get in the way of an agenda. Even more unfortunate is when people believe them.

So yeah, that journalist...The time when he came on the board is still documented too here on this site. It was a complete farce. If someone can find it, feel free to post the direct link so newcomers can see what kind of bullshit was being peddled here. I'll reserve comment beyond that. But definitely worth a revisit as a reminder.

And even more shameful is that some of that complete bullshit got picked up and reprinted by Wikipedia, so whoever reads that gets that impression of the album. What a crock.

Agreed 100%

Here is Wirestone’s brilliant reply to Hardmeyer’s “review” thing: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20283.msg510064.html#msg510064

Here is my spat with Hardmeyer: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,21372.msg541144.html#msg541144

Thanks for the refresher! It was worse than I remembered.

For the people bemoaning the lack of respect on this board as of 10/10/2017...see those links, read the back-and-forth, and note especially the review and the actions of the reviewer. Facts don't matter as long as you get an agenda-fueled click-bait article to upload out of the deal. Particularly respectful is how Brian Wilson is compared to wheeling Grandpa out for Thanksgiving dinner, and the reviewer himself offering opinions on those who gave the album 5 stars as if they're idiots...among other gems of wisdom and insight.

That's the respect that is no longer here? If so, I'm glad that funky notion of "respect" followed those now-departed people on full display in those discussions out the fucking door to more respectful communities of like-minded fans...

One thing I didn't take in account when I did my rant in that thread was Skype

Skype and maybe a TARDIS or that teleporter thing Captain Kirk and his crew would use to explore hostile planets...

But seriously, the only thing to take into account in retrospect in all that mess was that a reviewer got numerous facts completely wrong, bristled and started attacking when people presented the real facts to correct him, and in all of it his bias or agenda or whatever you want to call it started to come out. It was a hit piece, worthy of one of those Finnish college newspaper reviews Nicko found, and again re-reading those threads you see some names defending him in spite of all the errors and other bullshit who have now gone to hang with the like-minded and their guru(s).

Any review that compares the artist to Grandpa being wheeled out to dinner or calls the artist brain damaged isn't fit to wipe someone's ass with, let alone be taken seriously as journalism or legit music criticism.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2017, 09:57:04 PM »

Show us the posts that you're referring to.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2017, 04:41:49 AM »

I suspect Dutchie was thanking everyone collectively.

Surely the decent thing now is to lock this topic (after the second post would have been even better).

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2017, 05:07:41 AM »

Surely the decent thing now is to lock this topic (after the second post would have been even better).
Why don't you tell Dutchie to lock it? I seem to catch that some topic starters did it themselves. Or, what would be EVEN better is not start the topic. Smiley [about 10 posters now step in to agree with me police ]

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2017, 05:21:56 AM »

Pugnacious arrogance is outta here for good.  police

I heard echoes of the late, great Harry Kalas making that call in the booth...  Smiley

Exactly! The legendary voice of the Philadelphia Phillies was the inspiration for my quote. Miss that man.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2017, 08:41:38 AM »

Pugnacious arrogance is outta here for good.  police

I heard echoes of the late, great Harry Kalas making that call in the booth...  Smiley

Exactly! The legendary voice of the Philadelphia Phillies was the inspiration for my quote. Miss that man.

I mention Harry all the time, it's hard to watch or listen to a game without still hearing or imagining Harry and Whitey Asburn calling the play by play. Fans in Philly were both fortunate and spoiled to have the best in the business as the voices of the Phils.

And also having both Jon Facenda and Harry narrate NFL Films...both of them, Philly hometown guys, among the best voice talents in broadcast history. A lost art.

No one called a home run like Harry.  Smiley

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2017, 08:46:23 AM »

OSD in the upper deck of the Vet circa 1987 when Mike Love is singing after a phils game...... Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2017, 08:58:06 AM »

OSD in the upper deck of the Vet circa 1987 when Mike Love is singing after a phils game...... Evil

After joining the crowd chanting "5 for 1" following Von Hayes grounding into another rally killing double play in the 8th...  Wink

KDS
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2017, 08:59:41 AM »

After joining the crowd chanting "5 for 1" following Von Hayes grounding into another rally killing double play in the 8th...  Wink

I've only been there once, but I don't enjoy anyone who called the Vet their home ballpark. 

Although, to be fair, Baltimore's Memorial Stadium was no prize either. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2017, 09:06:43 AM »

I saw my first major league game at the Vet back when they didn't even offer ketchup to put on the hot dogs, and also saw some amazing games there in the years after. In terms of the NFL...there was no place that teams like the Giants and the fucking Cowboys hated more than the Vet. Just ask Aikman and Simms. Those games when Buddy coached the Eagles were among the best, pure blood-n-guts football you'll ever see. And it will never happen again since the league effectively put a force field of protection around the big-money QB's to protect all the tax-free investments.

The Vet was a well-known dump and dive, but there are no more loyal fans in the country than Philly especially when teams or players give 110% on the field. Like a hometown dive bar - Someone new going in would recoil in horror and walk out if they didn't have a Gluten-free menu available or if there weren't 239 craft beers on tap, but for the regulars it's like home.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2017, 09:09:13 AM »

No. If someone doesn't like handling worms or cleaning them up, don't open a can of them.

KDS
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2017, 09:16:28 AM »

I saw my first major league game at the Vet back when they didn't even offer ketchup to put on the hot dogs, and also saw some amazing games there in the years after. In terms of the NFL...there was no place that teams like the Giants and the fucking Cowboys hated more than the Vet. Just ask Aikman and Simms. Those games when Buddy coached the Eagles were among the best, pure blood-n-guts football you'll ever see. And it will never happen again since the league effectively put a force field of protection around the big-money QB's to protect all the tax-free investments.

The Vet was a well-known dump and dive, but there are no more loyal fans in the country than Philly especially when teams or players give 110% on the field. Like a hometown dive bar - Someone new going in would recoil in horror and walk out if they didn't have a Gluten-free menu available or if there weren't 239 craft beers on tap, but for the regulars it's like home.

The first time I ever attended an Orioles road game was at the Vet in 2001.  Like Memorial Stadium, I can see how it's like a dive, but it's "our" dive kinda thing. 

We have newer better stadiums in Baltimore now, for the Orioles and Ravens, and unfortunately, I wasn't around for the glory days of the Orioles and Colts, but apparently, games now are nothing like the "World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum" that Memorial Stadium was known as. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2017, 09:29:51 AM »

Just don't trip on the astroturf on the way out like the Bears' Wendle Davis..... Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2017, 09:32:31 AM »

The first time I ever attended an Orioles road game was at the Vet in 2001.  Like Memorial Stadium, I can see how it's like a dive, but it's "our" dive kinda thing. 

We have newer better stadiums in Baltimore now, for the Orioles and Ravens, and unfortunately, I wasn't around for the glory days of the Orioles and Colts, but apparently, games now are nothing like the "World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum" that Memorial Stadium was known as. 

I'm a veteran of both the 600 and 700 level seats at the Vet, the upper deck, as well as the bleacher seats in right field at Fenway. I have to say those Fenway cheap seats for a baseball game were an insane asylum, but what would they expect when you have a hot summer sun roasting people getting jacked up on warm, cheap beer. I never did an Eagles game in the yellow seats, that was suicide more or less. The fans needed more protection than the players up there, and they'd even recommend not wearing a Dallas, NY, or Washington jersey or any clothing if you were sitting up there. No thanks - better on TV.

They basically sterilized all of that for obvious financial and marketing reasons, which I guess is good in some way, but parks today feel like you're going into an upscale strip mall with food courts, shops, etc.

The old Vet used to have vendors selling hot dogs, beer/soda, peanuts, cotton candy, and maybe a hapless dude walking around selling Klondike bars in the dead of summer. That was pretty much it. And the merch was a booth made of cheap plywood where you could buy hats and shirts and maybe a batting glove or something. As primitive as that sounds compared to the upscale family-friendly scenes they have now, it was part of the vibe where fans went to see the game and not browse a shopping mall.  Grin

KDS
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2017, 09:42:06 AM »

I'm a veteran of both the 600 and 700 level seats at the Vet, the upper deck, as well as the bleacher seats in right field at Fenway. I have to say those Fenway cheap seats for a baseball game were an insane asylum, but what would they expect when you have a hot summer sun roasting people getting jacked up on warm, cheap beer. I never did an Eagles game in the yellow seats, that was suicide more or less. The fans needed more protection than the players up there, and they'd even recommend not wearing a Dallas, NY, or Washington jersey or any clothing if you were sitting up there. No thanks - better on TV.

They basically sterilized all of that for obvious financial and marketing reasons, which I guess is good in some way, but parks today feel like you're going into an upscale strip mall with food courts, shops, etc.

The old Vet used to have vendors selling hot dogs, beer/soda, peanuts, cotton candy, and maybe a hapless dude walking around selling Klondike bars in the dead of summer. That was pretty much it. And the merch was a booth made of cheap plywood where you could buy hats and shirts and maybe a batting glove or something. As primitive as that sounds compared to the upscale family-friendly scenes they have now, it was part of the vibe where fans went to see the game and not browse a shopping mall.  Grin

Yeah, Oriole Park at Camden Yards is like that, with souvenir shops, a full bar (where ticket goers will actually sit and watch the games on TV while paying ballpark prices), a full service restaurant, playgrounds for the kiddies, etc etc.   Half of the fans seem to be there for the social aspect for more than for a baseball game.  It's telling when it's not unusual to see the between inning entertainment on the big screens get more of a crowd reaction than an Orioles homerun.  Then, there's the luxury boxes. 

It's not quite that bad  for football games, but football is a bit of a different beast.  Unless of course, you're in a luxury box, where actually standing up and making noise when your defense is trying to make a key stop on third down is frowned upon. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2017, 06:11:43 PM »

It’s a trap... Cool

You called it SB. Dutchie made an account on the PS forum disparaging our board for being a mess and us for not respecting his/her opinion. What a farce.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2017, 06:14:47 PM »

Dammit, why am I always right to the point of being quoted in Iain Lee articles! Wink

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2017, 06:30:55 PM »

Speaking of Baltimore, does anyone remember Gino Marchetti of the Colts?? I used to be an employee of his.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2017, 06:31:26 PM »

Gino's fast food? Cool

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2017, 07:52:42 PM »

It’s a trap... Cool

You called it SB. Dutchie made an account on the PS forum disparaging our board for being a mess and us for not respecting his/her opinion. What a farce.

Same bullshit that has happened before. You're right, it's a farce.

For anyone interested, "Dutchie" was given a chance to quote any of the comments he found harsh or offensive so the posters who wrote them have a chance to address it. Instead he chose to go to another board and complain.

That's the respect he complained was missing here?

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2017, 07:54:17 PM »

I guess that wasn't what he was doing, JK. He's currently on another board shitting on everyone here collectively. Maybe you can address it with him.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2017, 08:15:56 PM »

It’s a trap... Cool

Same bullshit that has happened before. You're right, it's a farce.

For anyone interested, "Dutchie" was given a chance to quote any of the comments he found harsh or offensive so the posters who wrote them have a chance to address it. Instead he chose to go to another board and complain.

That's the respect he complained was missing here?

I was just about to post that as I saw that post a little bit ago...and also that Iain Lee is starting sh*t on the "Brian Wilson Tour" Facebook page, right after we were just discussing him.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2017, 08:24:50 PM »

Gino's fast food? Cool

Not quite, SB. I was in a group and we were entertaining at a big party that included some of the Phila. Eagles(Tom Brookshier, Pete Retzlaff, etc.) back in the late 60's early 70's. Gino Marchetti from the Colts was there as well and when we were breaking down asked us if we'd be interested in playing his restaurant called
San Francisco in Wayne, Pa. on the next Friday night. We were numb with disbelief that an ex football star would want us for his upscale digs that was very popular in a somewhat jet set environment. He paid us well (for the time) and quite honestly we probably would have done it for a lot less. Anyway, it turned out to be a steady gig for several months. I saw Gino roughly 7 years ago or so after he actually opened a new Gino's in King of Prussia, Pa. He had licensed the name to a group of investors and he also became a kind of PR man, meeting and talking to the customers. I asked him if he remembered us playing for him years ago. To my surprise, he remembered it well. Unfortunately, the new Gino's did not survive and the mansion that housed his SF restaurant was torn down 4 years ago.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx