gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:28:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love - Unleash the Love - Due November 17 - w/ 2nd Disc of BB Remakes  (Read 225534 times)
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: February 09, 2018, 03:29:45 PM »

Will Mike be appearing with any live ostriches to promote his upcoming ostrich farmer festival gig? Will Mike autograph a live ostrich if someone brings one to the meet n greet?

Dancing cheerleader ostriches for "Be True to Your School"

"Whhhheennnnnn..."
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #951 on: February 09, 2018, 03:56:00 PM »

LOL

I wouldn't be surprised at all.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: February 09, 2018, 04:19:17 PM »

Will Scott T. do the guitar trick with an oshrich....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: February 09, 2018, 04:20:26 PM »

I think it’s important for us all to note that Mike is doing the first promotional event for his solo album at a mall shirt store.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 01:28:12 PM by Wirestone » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #954 on: February 09, 2018, 04:51:50 PM »

Me too...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: February 10, 2018, 03:33:43 PM »

Forgive me if this has already been noted, but Newbury Comics has been selling signed UTL CDs for those interested: https://www.newburycomics.com/collections/autographed-cds/products/mike_love-unleash_the_love_2_cd_with_autographed_booklet?variant=47758590540

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: February 11, 2018, 06:49:36 PM »

I think it’s important for us all to note that Mike is doing the first promotional event for his solo alum at a mall shirt store.

Absolutely important! And myKe luHv may as well start at the bottom for an album that's gonna stay at the bottom like SIP did.  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: February 12, 2018, 01:18:02 PM »

I think Mike's album could get some attention if it were promoted better, like with a promotional tv commercial.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: February 12, 2018, 01:31:16 PM »

And we've got a picture ...

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: February 12, 2018, 02:50:18 PM »

I think Mike's album could get some attention if it were promoted better, like with a promotional tv commercial.

Too bad MiC didn’t come out this year, Mike could’ve given away copies of Unleash on another QVC gig.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: February 13, 2018, 07:45:08 PM »

I wonder, would Mike's album get this much flack if it didn't include a bonus disc of BB's remakes?

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: February 13, 2018, 08:50:33 PM »

I wonder, would Mike's album get this much flack if it didn't include a bonus disc of BB's remakes?

Probably not as much, though there are even inferior remakes on the first disc of “Getcha Back” and “Daybreak Over the Ocean”.  And I think people might be less upset about the disc two remakes if any hint of effort was put into it.  If he had to do a disc of remakes, he should have just recorded it live.  Would have at least sounded a lot better than the slick auto-tuned garbage he put out.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: February 13, 2018, 08:56:22 PM »

Probably not as much, though there are even inferior remakes on the first disc of “Getcha Back” and “Daybreak Over the Ocean”.  And I think people might be less upset about the disc two remakes if any hint of effort was put into it.  If he had to do a disc of remakes, he should have just recorded it live.  Would have at least sounded a lot better than the slick auto-tuned garbage he put out.
That's an interesting point. I think Mike and Bruce could probably improve their reputation if they issued a live album of the current live group. Or even a live version of Mike's new stuff

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: February 13, 2018, 09:16:57 PM »

Probably not. But I think the first disc would be far more scrutinized than it currently is if the second didn’t exist. That second disc takes the brunt of the criticism (and it makes the first disc look like Pet Sounds in comparison), but frankly the same poor vocal processing and the same plastic-feeling production on the second disc occurs on the first too - just in smaller amounts.

Still, that first disc is surprising in that most of it doesn’t try to rehash that cliched Beach Boys sound and subject. It’s its own unique solo album that probably would’ve gone over a bit better if you take away ‘Getcha Back’, the second disc, and the horrible vocal processing. Also, after the lawsuits and constant media bitching about the Wilsons, Mike singing about unleashing the love is ironic to say the least.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #964 on: February 14, 2018, 04:46:49 AM »

I dont think so.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: February 14, 2018, 07:30:52 AM »

I think Mike's solo release would face controversy and criticism, regardless of the re-records or not, just due to his personality and actions over the years. I do think the album would have gotten better reception among fans if it didn't have the re recordings. I actually like the new version of Getcha Back more than the old one, despite the vocal processing. New words and arrangement are really cool. I also really love Wild Honey, Warmth Of The Sun, Brian's Back, Wouldn't It Be Nice, and the chorus of California Girls (not the verses!) from the re-record disc. I could go the rest of my life without listening to the rest of the re-recordings.
KDS
« Reply #966 on: February 14, 2018, 08:05:05 AM »

I think Mike's solo release would face controversy and criticism, regardless of the re-records or not, just due to his personality and actions over the years. I do think the album would have gotten better reception among fans if it didn't have the re recordings. I actually like the new version of Getcha Back more than the old one, despite the vocal processing. New words and arrangement are really cool. I also really love Wild Honey, Warmth Of The Sun, Brian's Back, Wouldn't It Be Nice, and the chorus of California Girls (not the verses!) from the re-record disc. I could go the rest of my life without listening to the rest of the re-recordings.

I think even some of Mike's detractors might have been more receptive to the album had it not featured so much autotune also. 

As a one disc release with no autotune, its a pretty good MOR late career release.   
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: February 14, 2018, 10:05:28 AM »

I think us detractors wouldn't give a damn about his solo output. He's a free individual who can do as he likes with his lacking solo career.

When he does tasteless (shite) re-recordings of classical tracks by the Beach Boys, while pretending to be the Beach Boys, which he is not as he didn't write a fraction of the songs and contributed lyrics only in the beginning, then we'll berate him, and justifiably so I might add.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:06:28 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
KDS
« Reply #968 on: February 14, 2018, 10:11:52 AM »

I think us detractors wouldn't give a damn about his solo output. He's a free individual who can do as he likes with his lacking solo career.

When he does tasteless (shite) re-recordings of classical tracks by the Beach Boys, while pretending to be the Beach Boys, which he is not as he didn't write a fraction of the songs and contributed lyrics only in the beginning, then we'll berate him, and justifiably so I might add.

I said before that the album would fare far better without the covers disc. 
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: February 15, 2018, 04:50:41 AM »

In terms of sales? I don't think this artist garners any significant number of sales  Grin
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #970 on: February 15, 2018, 06:51:48 AM »

Mike should have just taken that circa 2004 circulating album's worth of songs and put *that* out. It sounds far better, features less remakes (and the remakes he *did* do on that one included stuff like his remake of "Everyone's In Love With You" which, while far from a masterpiece, is much better than his new remake of "Getcha Back"), and I think it would have garnered him better reviews from the few publications who *did* bother to review it.

But, as was confirmed by Mike in his recent Mojo interview (and something I suspected and mentioned several months back before the album came out), it was the record label who asked for the "classic" remakes. I tend to doubt they just thought it would be an interesting thing to do, but rather they probably felt putting a bunch of classic song titles on the package (and slapping a BB logo on the sticker on the cover) was the only way the album would be worth granting a record deal to Mike. As it is, even with a cheap price tag for a 2-disc set and an album's worth of "classics", the album predictably pretty much sank and didn't even chart on the main Top 200 albums chart.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #971 on: February 15, 2018, 08:22:43 AM »

In terms of sales? I don't think this artist garners any significant number of sales  Grin

No, in terms of quality. 

I don't judge music by sales.  If so, Ed Sheeran was the "best" artist of 2017
KDS
« Reply #972 on: February 15, 2018, 08:25:09 AM »

Mike should have just taken that circa 2004 circulating album's worth of songs and put *that* out. It sounds far better, features less remakes (and the remakes he *did* do on that one included stuff like his remake of "Everyone's In Love With You" which, while far from a masterpiece, is much better than his new remake of "Getcha Back"), and I think it would have garnered him better reviews from the few publications who *did* bother to review it.

But, as was confirmed by Mike in his recent Mojo interview (and something I suspected and mentioned several months back before the album came out), it was the record label who asked for the "classic" remakes. I tend to doubt they just thought it would be an interesting thing to do, but rather they probably felt putting a bunch of classic song titles on the package (and slapping a BB logo on the sticker on the cover) was the only way the album would be worth granting a record deal to Mike. As it is, even with a cheap price tag for a 2-disc set and an album's worth of "classics", the album predictably pretty much sank and didn't even chart on the main Top 200 albums chart.

In recent years, legacy acts such as KISS and Journey have done distribution deals with Wal Mart, and part of the deal was a 2nd disc of re-recorded classics from the back catalog.   It's all part of the short sighted view of legacy artists in general. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #973 on: February 15, 2018, 09:15:13 AM »

In recent years, legacy acts such as KISS and Journey have done distribution deals with Wal Mart, and part of the deal was a 2nd disc of re-recorded classics from the back catalog.   It's all part of the short sighted view of legacy artists in general. 

But it's not particularly analogous, as those bands would have been trying to go from a "regular" record deal to a huge deal with Walmart. I'd venture to guess both of those bands could have gotten a less lucrative but still mainstream record deal (perhaps with Eagle or Frontiers or something like that as other older bands with solid core fan bases have) without having to bundle a second disc of re-recorded "classics."

In Mike's case, to score a deal *at all* he apparently had to bundle a disc of re-recordings, and re-recordings of *another* band rather than a disc of "Mike Love" re-recordings.

Those other bands are guaranteed to shift hundreds of thousands if not millions of units on day one by cutting those deals with Walmart.

Mike did the re-records and all it really accomplished was that he got a distributor instead of just selling the album himself on CD Baby or Amazon-On-Demand or something.

Let us also remember that the label that put Mike's album out is part of the same big conglomerate as the publisher of his book, so I wouldn't be surprised if both of those projects were somehow bundled together in one deal.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #974 on: February 15, 2018, 09:21:23 AM »

But it's not particularly analogous, as those bands would have been trying to go from a "regular" record deal to a huge deal with Walmart. I'd venture to guess both of those bands could have gotten a less lucrative but still mainstream record deal (perhaps with Eagle or Frontiers or something like that as other older bands with solid core fan bases have) without having to bundle a second disc of re-recorded "classics."

In Mike's case, to score a deal *at all* he apparently had to bundle a disc of re-recordings, and re-recordings of *another* band rather than a disc of "Mike Love" re-recordings.

Those other bands are guaranteed to shift hundreds of thousands if not millions of units on day one by cutting those deals with Walmart.

Mike did the re-records and all it really accomplished was that he got a distributor instead of just selling the album himself on CD Baby or Amazon-On-Demand or something.

Let us also remember that the label that put Mike's album out is part of the same big conglomerate as the publisher of his book, so I wouldn't be surprised if both of those projects were somehow bundled together in one deal.

I agree, in part. 

But, I don't see how the label would logically think the album would shift more copies with a disc of Beach Boys remakes.   
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx