gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:31:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love - Unleash the Love - Due November 17 - w/ 2nd Disc of BB Remakes  (Read 225630 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 17, 2017, 10:23:06 AM »

Guitarfool, if you really want an autotune doozy, check out I Get Around.

And yeah, I was gonna mention that I’ve gotten better sounding autotune experimenting on my Mac with Logic. I can’t fathom what they had to screw up to make his voice sound this bad.

As for instrumental production, the only song that wow-ed me regarding that was ‘Wild Honey’ - sounds completely different from the production on the rest of the album. I think it’s mostly because they added some reverb to the tracks.

Just listened to IGA. In all fairness to Mike, I cannot understand why something like this was allowed to be released. Mike's lead vocal minus the Autotune even, it just isn't there. It sounds like he's running out of breath after each phrase. I can't imagine the amount of editing and punch-ins which were done on something like this...and it still sounds this way! Unreal.

I can imagine him puffing his inhaler between phrases on I Get Around. Embarassing. I also think he must have forgotten to wear his dentures that day.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #576 on: November 17, 2017, 10:23:10 AM »

This is my honest and earnest opinion, I'm not out to bash Mike for the sake of bashing or anything.

What I really like is hearing his daughter Ambha contribute vocals to the album. I wish she had done more, and it would have been cool to hear her and her dad sharing more leads on the original (new) songs rather than the covers.

I think the decision to piggyback a full album of remakes onto Mike's original album is a mistake, and one which will unfortunately for Mike potentially sink the album overall, and overshadow anything good on his new songs. I've been very critical in the past of Mike for not "putting up or shutting up" in terms of getting his own original songs out there for the fans who want to hear his solo songwriting on an album rather than bootlegs and 'Pisces Brothers' done at every Beach Boys show.

So it really, really is baffling why the decision was made to put these limp remakes on the back of Mike's original album. Putting aside the sonics and overall quality of those remakes, just doing that alone seems to be coming from a mindset other than where the goal may have been in releasing Mike's original music (finally) for his fans to hear, and to hear what Mike can do on his own as a solo artist and songwriter.

It's one thing to release remakes or updates of classic songs, but the quality of these recordings and the mix and performance issues might just overshadow what most fans thought Mike's goal would have been, and that is to release his original music officially and with full mixes and recordings done in professional studios.

It's kind of sad, really. Because the potential for Mike putting out a quality album especially with a talented vocalist like his daughter contributing more than she did was there...and instead the remakes are going to be the focus for many listeners who wanted to give the music a listen and hear what Mike could bring to the table.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 17, 2017, 10:25:14 AM »

Least we are “honest” unlike Filleplage would be right now....

Just visited BBB for such a review. That place is a dead zone these days. Between the pop-ups and retina searing interface, I think someone needs to pull the plug on that server for good.

Guitarfool, in regards to vocal blend, I think the only song that comes close to a good vocal blend is ‘Brian’s Back’, and that is overshadowed by the question “why the hell is this even on the album?”

HeyJude, LOL, you’re so right that even Lookin Back With Love is far better than the album that dropped today. Again, it’s just insane to me that 5 years ago this guy was helping make TWGMTR, a critically acclaimed album that hit billboard #3. And now he’s happy releasing this.

With the dove being unleashed as the album cover too, no less. If someone wanted to jokingly dream up the most laughable album that Mike could have made, it would approximate this release.

Maybe Michael Lloyd did intentionally want to tank Mike’s career.

Thing is, there are some good moments on this album, Wild Honey for starters and Ambha’s lead on Warmth of the Sun is pretty darn good. So it’s sad that any sense of quality control got thrown into the garbage can and seemingly no one questioned the obviously horrendous production decisions that now permanently scar the album.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #578 on: November 17, 2017, 10:26:37 AM »

This is my honest and earnest opinion, I'm not out to bash Mike for the sake of bashing or anything.

What I really like is hearing his daughter Ambha contribute vocals to the album. I wish she had done more, and it would have been cool to hear her and her dad sharing more leads on the original (new) songs rather than the covers.

I think the decision to piggyback a full album of remakes onto Mike's original album is a mistake, and one which will unfortunately for Mike potentially sink the album overall, and overshadow anything good on his new songs. I've been very critical in the past of Mike for not "putting up or shutting up" in terms of getting his own original songs out there for the fans who want to hear his solo songwriting on an album rather than bootlegs and 'Pisces Brothers' done at every Beach Boys show.

So it really, really is baffling why the decision was made to put these limp remakes on the back of Mike's original album. Putting aside the sonics and overall quality of those remakes, just doing that alone seems to be coming from a mindset other than where the goal may have been in releasing Mike's original music (finally) for his fans to hear, and to hear what Mike can do on his own as a solo artist and songwriter.

It's one thing to release remakes or updates of classic songs, but the quality of these recordings and the mix and performance issues might just overshadow what most fans thought Mike's goal would have been, and that is to release his original music officially and with full mixes and recordings done in professional studios.

It's kind of sad, really. Because the potential for Mike putting out a quality album especially with a talented vocalist like his daughter contributing more than she did was there...and instead the remakes are going to be the focus for many listeners who wanted to give the music a listen and hear what Mike could bring to the table.

Other than the autotune, I liked the clips I heard of many of the originals.  I might get it out on Spotify this evening.  

And I agree 100% about the remake disc.  It's a head scratcher as to why he would record a disc of mostly iconic songs, and such poor versions.  

I've been saying it for awhile, Mike Love is in dire need of either a PR team, or a better one than he has now.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 17, 2017, 10:26:50 AM »

This is just sad that Mike thinks he can do music alone without actual BW creativity and vision.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: November 17, 2017, 10:28:17 AM »

Guitarfool, in regards to vocal blend, I think the only song that comes close to a good vocal blend is ‘Brian’s Back’, and that is overshadowed by the question “why the hell is this even on the album?”

HeyJude, LOL, you’re so right that even Lookin Back With Love is far better than the album that dropped today. Again, it’s just insane to me that 5 years ago this guy was helping make TWGMTR, a critically acclaimed album that hit billboard #3. And now he’s happy releasing this.

And Mike was critical of TWGMTR because he wasn't as involved as he thought he would be in making it, he was upset it didn't have a slam-bang hit single, yet is listed as "executive producer" in the credits.

Now fans can hear, perhaps with a bit of surprise mixed in with melancholy and a general WTF? kind of reaction, what Mike's own idea of making a hit record sounds like, since TWGMTR going top-5 wasn't up to Mike's standards for cutting hit material.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 17, 2017, 10:36:19 AM »

Other than the autotune, I liked the clips I heard of many of the originals.  I might get it out on Spotify this evening.  

And I agree 100% about the remake disc.  It's a head scratcher as to why he would record a disc of mostly iconic songs, and such poor versions.  

I've been saying it for awhile, Mike Love is in dire need of either a PR team, or a better one than he has now.

You should definitely give it whirl. A lot of the originals surprised me, I liked more of them than I thought I would. And Ambha’s vocals on the album are really great (though of course they pointlessly autotuned them in Kiss Me Baby ugh). Darlin and Wild Honey are worth listening to.

And Mike was critical of TWGMTR because he wasn't as involved as he thought he would be in making it, he was upset it didn't have a slam-bang hit single, yet is listed as "executive producer" in the credits.

Now fans can hear, perhaps with a bit of surprise mixed in with melancholy and a general WTF? kind of reaction, what Mike's own idea of making a hit record sounds like, since TWGMTR going top-5 wasn't up to Mike's standards for cutting hit material.

THIS. And also I love his passive aggressive negativity about Brian’s potential autotune on The Right Time and then he makes this!? The hypocrisy is mindblowing to me.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #582 on: November 17, 2017, 10:40:18 AM »

You should definitely give it whirl. A lot of the originals surprised me, I liked more of them than I thought I would. And Ambha’s vocals on the album are really great (though of course they pointlessly autotuned them in Kiss Me Baby ugh). Darlin and Wild Honey are worth listening to.

I might give it a go this evening since the new album is the main topic of conversation right now.   I suppose it'll be nice to have a version of WH with Coswill's vocals.  Are his heavily treated too?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 17, 2017, 10:44:49 AM »

Not to my ears, I thought it was the best song on the whole set (well maybe a tie with Warmth of the Sun). The guitar solo on Wild Honey was really good too. It sounds out of place on the covers disc because it sounds that good.

KDS
« Reply #584 on: November 17, 2017, 10:46:42 AM »

Not to my ears, I thought it was the best song on the whole set (well maybe a tie with Warmth of the Sun). The guitar solo on Wild Honey was really good too. It sounds out of place on the covers disc because it sounds that good.

That's pretty cool.   

Speaking of guitar solos, I'm really not a fan of the song, but each time I've seen Mike and Bruce (and once David) do Pisces Brothers, Scott Totten played a really good guitar solo.  Is there anything like that on the album version? 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #585 on: November 17, 2017, 10:46:59 AM »

THIS. And also I love his passive aggressive negativity about Brian’s potential autotune on The Right Time and then he makes this!? The hypocrisy is mindblowing to me.

I'm *sure* David Beard will do a follow-up interview with Mike regarding the new album where he takes Mike to task for his comments about autotune back in that 2015 interview. Right?.....

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #586 on: November 17, 2017, 10:47:18 AM »

The hypocrisy on that point and others too is mindblowing and off the charts. But, fans can now hear what Mike brings to the table musically and creatively in terms of the points he was critical about regarding TWGMTR lacking a hit, versus a full album of Mike's own making, under his control and ultimate yay or nay decision to release it...and what he considers hit material. It's now on the table for fans to decide.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 17, 2017, 10:49:38 AM »

Mike's favorite Nintendo NES game is Mike "Tyson" Love's Vocal Punch-In® (Now With Autotune!)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:04:19 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 17, 2017, 10:54:12 AM »

That's pretty cool.   

Speaking of guitar solos, I'm really not a fan of the song, but each time I've seen Mike and Bruce (and once David) do Pisces Brothers, Scott Totten played a really good guitar solo.  Is there anything like that on the album version? 

Yeah, not sure if it’s the same as what you’ve heard in concert, but it’s a tasteful solo during the middle eight.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #589 on: November 17, 2017, 10:54:49 AM »

Just want to add a last comment for the afternoon about Mike's daughter's participation in the album. I think she is a very talented singer and has the potential to continue making good music with her talent. I hope she does - I would absolutely listen to anything she releases or does musically.

What I like also is the notion of these fathers passing down the legacy and the creative talent to their kids, and allowing them to make music and create art alongside their dads. It's a joy seeing Al and Matt Jardine playing and harmonizing together on stage. It was great that Brian was able to make music with Carnie and Wendy when he did, and also have his daughter Daria do the photography and contribute to the cover design for his NPP album. And I like seeing Mike give his daughter Ambha a chance to sing and make music with him, on stage and on this album.

Again I'll say I wish she had done more on Mike's original songs rather than the remakes, and it seems a shame that the remakes might end up overshadowing the original material because of the reasons we're discussing. But if there are opportunities in the future for Mike to make original music and feature his daughter on the songs, I think that would be a really nice project and one which I'd be into 100%. I would also love to get a more organic, even acoustic based project where the songs can breathe more and be free of the autotune and other production touches that are all but scuppering the songs on both discs of this release.

Maybe I'm just a sentimental guy that way... Smiley

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 17, 2017, 11:03:10 AM »

Hmmmmm... there seem to be no reviews of the album in the press. Maybe they can't even be bothered to listen to it.
KDS
« Reply #591 on: November 17, 2017, 11:04:13 AM »

That's pretty cool.   

Yeah, not sure if it’s the same as what you’ve heard in concert, but it’s a tasteful solo during the middle eight.

Cool.   I'll definitely be interested to hear that.  For me the solo, in concert anyway, redeems the song.   Plus as a big fan of guitar based rock, there are relatively few moments in the BB universe for a nice solo.  
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 17, 2017, 11:08:01 AM »

That's pretty cool.   

Cool.   I'll definitely be interested to hear that.  For me the solo, in concert anyway, redeems the song.   Plus as a big fan of guitar based rock, there are relatively few moments in the BB universe for a nice solo. 

Not to get too off-topic, but what are your thoughts on Carl and the Passions? The main songs on there seem to be as rocking as those guys got (besides the amazing live at Knebworth album which feeds my ac/dc musical tastes).

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 17, 2017, 11:11:05 AM »

Guitarfool, great post on the handing down of the torch, so to speak. In a decade or two it would be great to see the talented offspring get together in tribute to record an album of beach boys covers (perhaps done acoustically or just completely different from the originals). There is a lot of talent with these guys and gals, hope to keep hearing it in the years to come.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #594 on: November 17, 2017, 11:11:16 AM »

That's pretty cool.   

Cool.   I'll definitely be interested to hear that.  For me the solo, in concert anyway, redeems the song.   Plus as a big fan of guitar based rock, there are relatively few moments in the BB universe for a nice solo. 

Not to get too off-topic, but what are your thoughts on Carl and the Passions? The main songs on there seem to be as rocking as those guys got (besides the amazing live at Knebworth album which feeds my ac/dc musical tastes).

"Lookin' at Tomorrow" from the 1983 tour is pretty hot; would love to have a soundboard of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv77kR-l5mc

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #595 on: November 17, 2017, 11:14:09 AM »

That's pretty cool.   

I'm not sure if this makes sense, but I like the sound of CATP more than the album itself.  I think Hold On Dear Brother, Marcella, Cuddle Up, and All This is That are great, while the other four tracks range from decent to good.  When it comes to that short lived lineup, I much prefer Holland (Steamboat has a great guitar solo that reminds me of 1969-72 era David Gilmour). 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #596 on: November 17, 2017, 11:15:45 AM »

A sort-of review of a recent show and the new album:

https://dailygazette.com/article/2017/11/15/proctors-filled-with-good-vibrations

The writer gets stuff wrong (Foskett is an official Beach Boys, and joined in 1972?). The title track from Mike's new album is deemed "sappy."
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:19:53 AM by HeyJude » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 17, 2017, 11:19:43 AM »

That's pretty cool.   

"Lookin' at Tomorrow" from the 1983 tour is pretty hot; would love to have a soundboard of this:

Whoa, that sounds phenomenal and so unexpected considering how chill the original is.

@KDS, I totally agree with you. I think had they shortened some songs, ditched some others that it would’ve made a really powerful, but short, album. That guitar opening on a Mess Of Help is killer though, one of the coolest rock tunes I’ve heard.

I too prefer Holland, much more cohesive, and Steamboat is one of my favorites.

KDS
« Reply #598 on: November 17, 2017, 11:20:13 AM »

A sort-of review of a recent show and the new album:

https://dailygazette.com/article/2017/11/15/proctors-filled-with-good-vibrations

The writers gets stuff wrong (Foskett is an official Beach Boys, and joined in 1972?). The title track from Mike's new album is deemed "sappy."

Yeah, didn't Foskett sing You Still Believe in Me on the In Concert album........oh wait.  
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 17, 2017, 11:21:16 AM »

Wow, that was cool! Impressive.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 41 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx