gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 09:37:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love - Unleash the Love - Due November 17 - w/ 2nd Disc of BB Remakes  (Read 223755 times)
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 09, 2017, 05:38:55 PM »

Let’s move on from this.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: November 09, 2017, 05:43:05 PM »

If GF wasn't here, I'd have stepped down a long time ago. Besides being a friend, he has helped me out many a time and this board would not still be here if not for him.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: November 09, 2017, 05:44:17 PM »

Let’s move on from this.

Sounds good to me

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 09, 2017, 08:31:55 PM »

If GF wasn't here, I'd have stepped down a long time ago. Besides being a friend, he has helped me out many a time and this board would not still be here if not for him.

So not addressing the issues I brought up. Thanks. Also, thanks for taking back the accusation that I meant anything derogatory towards you. GF may be the greatest guy ever, but if he's gonna be as nitpicky and outright unfair about segments of our favorite band, I think possibly not being in the position of moderator might be in the cards. But I understand this is falling on deaf ears, so I'll keep quiet from now on and no longer point out hypocrisy (a la the "Still Cruisin'"/Surfin' U.S.A."/"Little Children" spat that began the whole deal).
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: November 09, 2017, 08:58:21 PM »

Once again, if he's so thin-skinned that he can't understand why interjecting Donald Trump into the forum wasn't a good idea, well we don't need him here.

GF may be the greatest guy ever, but if he's gonna be as nitpicky and outright unfair about segments of our favorite band, I think possibly not being in the position of moderator might be in the cards.

Thanks for visiting the Smiley Smile message board. Here are a few guidelines to help everything run smoothly:

2) Debate is fine; when it crosses into personal attacks, it becomes a different matter.   Publicly posting calls for members to be banned or for members to quit will not be tolerated. Any concerns should be addressed privately to the moderators.  Expletives or personal insults directed at other board members and/or moderators will not be allowed as signature lines, status, or as part of a poster's account profile when posting to the board. Any violations of this will result in a ban.Each case will be looked at on an individual basis.

I'm going to discuss this with Billy.

Jim, it's not your call to post that about anyone - let alone one of the best honored guests this forum has as a member who posts *amazing* firsthand information and technical knowledge to the board - no matter what you think of them or their opinions. It's either pure arrogance, or a desire to want to control things and target people who you don't like, don't agree with, or just feel like going after for the hell of it, but this behavior will not stand on this forum.

How dare you or anyone tell another board member, an honored guest in this case, that "we don't need him here"? The pure arrogance is off the charts. Whether or not you think it's "in the cards" for me to be a moderator, right now the moderators are holding an aces high straight and you just threw a pair of deuces.

For the record - If the ban of RunnersDialZero is still bugging you two years later, that was explained to you in an exchange we had off the board. Two years ago. Three strikes and several aliases later - he was out. As a person you used to interact with a few boards ago was fond of saying: "Deal with it." Get over it.

Jim, you seriously need to chill out and let this personal stuff go, whether it's Desper, me, or the next person you think you'd like to see leave or get knocked down a few pegs.

Bottom line: It's not your call. And you need to seriously consider the difference between debating opinions (which is what this place is for) and taking personal shots at people whose opinions you don't agree with or don't even care to see expressed.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: November 09, 2017, 09:29:03 PM »

So not addressing the issues I brought up. Thanks. Also, thanks for taking back the accusation that I meant anything derogatory towards you. GF may be the greatest guy ever, but if he's gonna be as nitpicky and outright unfair about segments of our favorite band, I think possibly not being in the position of moderator might be in the cards. But I understand this is falling on deaf ears, so I'll keep quiet from now on and no longer point out hypocrisy (a la the "Still Cruisin'"/Surfin' U.S.A."/"Little Children" spat that began the whole deal).

Jesus dude. ..I'm going through this entire thread  because quite frankly there's a lot to take in and not a lot of time for me to do so. GF and I have been discussing this and I have been taking up for you, and now to see you turn on me at the drop of a dime,  well, hell...that's food for thought. I wanted to thank you for what you said earlier,  but then I saw this, and,  well, it makes me wonder how you really feel. Just..wow

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: November 10, 2017, 09:28:24 AM »

Back to the "Unleash the Love" album, it'll be interesting to see whether it charts, and if so, where it gets on the charts.

Right now, one week out from release, it's #1,547 on the Amazon CD chart.

In comparison, the now nearly two-month old Brian "Playback" compilation is still ranked higher, at #1,274 (and keep in mind that "Playback" didn't even chart apparently).

Sounds of Summer is #665
The weird 2012 "Greatest Hits" CD is #1248

Going back to "Sunshine Tomorrow", it ranked at #22 on the CD sales chart a few days prior to release, and ended up at #145 for its debut on the Billboard chart.

So I'd guess based on these (admittedly rough and incomplete) stats, it might be hard for Mike's album to chart unless it sees a huge uptick on the Digital sales side. Not sure how likely that is considering it's currently ranked #33,839 on the "Paid Albums" digital chart on Amazon.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 09:36:52 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: November 10, 2017, 09:58:39 AM »

A new Mike interview, not much new info, other than he is apparently booked for the Christmas tree lighting at the end of the month, and when asked about reuniting with Brian and Al again, seems to put the onus on them to, I guess, ask to join Mike for that? Huh? Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/music/2017/11/10/Beach-Boys-Mike-Love-interview-Pittsburgh-Heinz-Hall-tickets/stories/201711100057

Worth noting is that in this interview Mike appears to be one inch away from going into his "it's the people around Brian" spiel, and then seems to stop himself. Could he actually be learning to be a tiny bit less inflammatory in these interviews?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 10, 2017, 10:19:54 AM »

Once again, if he's so thin-skinned that he can't understand why interjecting Donald Trump into the forum wasn't a good idea, well we don't need him here.

GF may be the greatest guy ever, but if he's gonna be as nitpicky and outright unfair about segments of our favorite band, I think possibly not being in the position of moderator might be in the cards.

Thanks for visiting the Smiley Smile message board. Here are a few guidelines to help everything run smoothly:

2) Debate is fine; when it crosses into personal attacks, it becomes a different matter.   Publicly posting calls for members to be banned or for members to quit will not be tolerated. Any concerns should be addressed privately to the moderators.  Expletives or personal insults directed at other board members and/or moderators will not be allowed as signature lines, status, or as part of a poster's account profile when posting to the board. Any violations of this will result in a ban.Each case will be looked at on an individual basis.

I'm going to discuss this with Billy.

Jim, it's not your call to post that about anyone - let alone one of the best honored guests this forum has as a member who posts *amazing* firsthand information and technical knowledge to the board - no matter what you think of them or their opinions. It's either pure arrogance, or a desire to want to control things and target people who you don't like, don't agree with, or just feel like going after for the hell of it, but this behavior will not stand on this forum.

How dare you or anyone tell another board member, an honored guest in this case, that "we don't need him here"? The pure arrogance is off the charts. Whether or not you think it's "in the cards" for me to be a moderator, right now the moderators are holding an aces high straight and you just threw a pair of deuces.

For the record - If the ban of RunnersDialZero is still bugging you two years later, that was explained to you in an exchange we had off the board. Two years ago. Three strikes and several aliases later - he was out. As a person you used to interact with a few boards ago was fond of saying: "Deal with it." Get over it.

Jim, you seriously need to chill out and let this personal stuff go, whether it's Desper, me, or the next person you think you'd like to see leave or get knocked down a few pegs.

Bottom line: It's not your call. And you need to seriously consider the difference between debating opinions (which is what this place is for) and taking personal shots at people whose opinions you don't agree with or don't even care to see expressed.

OK, Ima try to go thru this as thoroughly as possible.

First off, about Desper. Are we lucky that he's not only still alive and in good health, but that he also shares war stories with us?

However, he did post a BLATANTLY racist and xenophobic video on this website and I don't remember a peep from the moderators. That was bothersome. He then interjected politics (mind you, at the height of the presidential election season) for some tenuous bullshit reason cuz he was excited about going to a Trump rally or something. But was I vicious? Yeah, I'm guessing you could say I was. Was I out of line? I didn't think so, but rab made a convincing argument that perhaps I was. But just as PSF overlooks past misogynist behavior by mikesbeard, racism and xenophobia from former moderator Jason,  general disrespect towards mental illness from Sheriff John Stone and all around disrespectful boorishness from AGD, this board has overlooked some pretty shitty behavior like that of Desper (and yes, probably me...a lot...and a lot of odd behavior from you GF, if you'd admit it) to make examples of someone like runnersdialzero who I thought, though he pushed a few too many buttons brought a really unique point of view to the board. Though of course his unorthodox behavior made him a casualty, people with much more nefarious agendas like Cam Mott and filledeplage skated through the years without a dent.

Now as far, as the "moderators holding a pair of deez nuts...blah blah," that's the kinda stuff that gets me. No need to boast about how you are the moderator and how what you say goes, so fuckin' deal with it, bra! Instead of that, earlier you just could have admitted that sometimes maybe you do get a little overzealous with the anti-Mike stuff and that, yeah I made a point, and that there is so much sh*t on Mike we don't need to make up stuff to hate him for. I can't stand hypocrisy and I feel that I pointed out some minor hypocrisy on your part; and just as I'm used to with, say, Cam or filledaplague, I didn't get you to move an inch, instead you move the goalposts and say, "well Brian's tune is a throwaway" (as if it's your call to say what works of Brian's are worthy or not) and Mike's was aiming for the top of the charts.

Now I'll gladly admit that as much as I can't stand hypocrisy, I myself and guilty of it a heck of a lot. But I'm also open to working on that. Witness for instance me taking what you and rab have said, and internalizing it and admitting I f***ed up. You on the other hand, have never, ever, not once ever given an inch. Hey now, maybe you've just always been right and in every single instance I've been wrong. But I doubt it, it's probably not black or white, it's more likely gray. And that's the reason I got into spats with people like Cam Mott, filldaplague and most of the PSF forum. Not because of what they believe, per se, but because nothing will convince them that maybe things might be two degrees different from what they think.

Lastly, I like you. We probably agree 90 percent of the time. I do think you have an irrational hatred for Mike Love that doesn't allow facts in, but I'm open to being corrected on that. I just want this board to be a better place than that other hunk of sh*t, and I think all of the "correcting the record" and thinking everything is nefarious needs to stop. The nefarious elements are gone, and now we can get to discussing the music, and of course the personalities behind the music, because I know we both agree that stuff like that does matter.  I think it'd just be better to hold all past participants to the same level.

If this post is considering "taking shots at GF" or whatever then so be it. Ban me. But I think I've made it clear I really enjoy this board and this band and I want it to improve. Perhaps this could be extracted to the sandbox for more dialogue.
KDS
« Reply #434 on: November 10, 2017, 10:27:33 AM »

Sounds of Summer is #665

6-6-5. The neighbor of the Beast. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: November 10, 2017, 10:30:38 AM »

The Desper thing is just too incendiary, no matter how much we try to let it not be. I don't think it's a bad discussion to have, but it has to be its own thread and/or "Sandbox" material.

And this is coming from someone who *did* find the comparisons to those rallies unfortunate and clearly underlined with some politics. I spoke out against it back in that original thread last year. I've defended my position on it even more recently when someone came on and started calling people names for having that position.

BUT....

It's a dead issue now and it just causes acrimony. Mr. Desper posts here now, so the main sub-plot of those debates (that Mr. Desper was "run off" unfairly, which is *not* what I believed happened) is now moot.

Seriously, there are already enough potential trashfires and heated debates in a "Mike's New Album" thread as it is, we don't need to drag an *unrelated* year-old hot-button topic into this too.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:31:13 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #436 on: November 10, 2017, 10:45:03 AM »

We saw Mike's *blue* Corvette hat in the last photo, and now we have full confirmation from reliable sources: The *red* Corvette hat has made an appearance.....

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: November 10, 2017, 10:46:01 AM »

I'm going to respond to the rest of the post but I did say something about those videos.  And yeah this probably isn't the right place for it but the original threads are still available

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: November 10, 2017, 10:47:01 AM »

Sounds of Summer is #665

6-6-5. The neighbor of the Beast. 

LOL

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: November 10, 2017, 10:52:21 AM »

Mike's album cover could have been *way* better.....

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #440 on: November 10, 2017, 11:00:04 AM »

Wtf lol

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 10, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »

The article is fine, but you know what bothers me? THE TITLE!!!!!

The Beach Boys are coming back to 'Unleash the Love'

WHAAAAT? Beach Boys aren't 'Unleashing The Love', Mike Love is. This is a wrongful use of the BBs name.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 10, 2017, 11:04:11 AM »

Also... 

“Alone together, we’re fine,” he says, “but there’s a lot of … I don’t know what to say about that. ‘Do you see a time when you might get together?’ Well, yeah. Maybe Christmas. And we’re booked to do the national Christmas tree-lighting ceremony in D.C. on the 30th of November. Something like that could be conducive to us being together, but that would depend on whether they would want to accept doing it with us.”

Is Mike suggesting the BBs might reunite for this whole Christmas thing?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 10, 2017, 11:09:51 AM »

We saw Mike's *blue* Corvette hat in the last photo, and now we have full confirmation from reliable sources: The *red* Corvette hat has made an appearance.....

Gawd he's a doucher.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: November 10, 2017, 11:24:25 AM »

Also... 

“Alone together, we’re fine,” he says, “but there’s a lot of … I don’t know what to say about that. ‘Do you see a time when you might get together?’ Well, yeah. Maybe Christmas. And we’re booked to do the national Christmas tree-lighting ceremony in D.C. on the 30th of November. Something like that could be conducive to us being together, but that would depend on whether they would want to accept doing it with us.”

Is Mike suggesting the BBs might reunite for this whole Christmas thing?

I don't think so. I think he's using that as an example of something they could reunite for, but he clearly describes it as the other guys (Brian and Al specifically) "accepting" doing it with Mike, meaning just joining Mike's band.

It's funny how Mike quitting the reunion has morphed into "we're all just doing our own thing", followed by putting the onus on Brian and Al to join whatever Mike's doing. How about Mike and Bruce join Brian and Al? Has Mike called and asked Brian if that might be possible?

More objectively, it would be really dumb to relegate another BB reunion to one TV appearance just backed by Mike's guys. If they were going to do it, even as a one-night thing, it would make more sense to hype it and do a full show, etc. Not that that'll ever happen.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #445 on: November 10, 2017, 12:07:24 PM »

When the split happened I was very angry.  Now I have no desire to see them reunite unless it's for a one off.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 10, 2017, 04:36:20 PM »

When the split happened I was very angry.  Now I have no desire to see them reunite unless it's for a one off.
I'll go one better, Billy and say that I not only have no desire to see them ever reunite, but hope to  never see myKe have the opportunity to share a stage or a recording session with Brian ever again.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 10, 2017, 04:54:44 PM »

Five years later and I'm still pissed at how C50 ended.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: November 10, 2017, 05:06:59 PM »

It's only natural.  All that goodwill pissed away that quickly

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 10, 2017, 07:08:39 PM »

However, he did post a BLATANTLY racist and xenophobic video on this website and I don't remember a peep from the moderators. That was bothersome. He then interjected politics (mind you, at the height of the presidential election season) for some tenuous bullshit reason cuz he was excited about going to a Trump rally or something. But was I vicious? Yeah, I'm guessing you could say I was. Was I out of line? I didn't think so, but rab made a convincing argument that perhaps I was. But just as PSF overlooks past misogynist behavior by mikesbeard, racism and xenophobia from former moderator Jason,  general disrespect towards mental illness from Sheriff John Stone and all around disrespectful boorishness from AGD, this board has overlooked some pretty shitty behavior like that of Desper (and yes, probably me...a lot...and a lot of odd behavior from you GF, if you'd admit it) to make examples of someone like runnersdialzero who I thought, though he pushed a few too many buttons brought a really unique point of view to the board. Though of course his unorthodox behavior made him a casualty, people with much more nefarious agendas like Cam Mott and filledeplage skated through the years without a dent.

Jim,

The difference between Runners and The Plague/Cam was that Runners broke blatant rules...granted, only one of which rules I remember him breaking. Regardless, The Plague and Cam ‘skated by’ because they were damn good at trolling. They would walk so close to that line, but never cross it and for excruciating years they did this. I’m sure it killed the mods here to see them start bullshit arguments that would blow up and not be able to do a thing about it.

Runners was a big loss for me too. I friggin miss that guy here, and I doubt I’ll ever forget that hello kitty avatar associated with his hilarious and usually insightful posts. There have been many members here that I miss that I feel we’re booted unfairly (though hindsight and explanation from the mods usually clears up my doubts -regardless I still miss a lot of people from the past who livened this place up a bit).

Regarding Craig, consider this: many persons who have gone after Craig personally have been associated with or hugely supported Mike Love. Those who tried to tear this place apart (and continue to spread lies about it) either have connections to Mike or are huge supporters of him. One who was asked to get the personal address of a poster here by an “interested party” (gee who could that be) associated(s) with Mike. A journalist who called half of us “assholes” because we pointed out some rather tactless quotes by him regarding Brian and his mental illness are associated with Mike and others in this sphere. Those who created a damn war zone here because of idiotic trolling and opinions about Brian and his music were diehard Mike fans. There are many other examples. But my point being: I think for all those who tried to destroy this place being associated with Mike (not to mention the actions/comments by Mike himself over the years) it really doesn’t give Craig much incentive to think positively about the man. And thus I can understand why his posts are usually negative about him. I’m the same exact way.

I’ll extend an olive branch here. Should this place be more positive oriented? Yes. I admit I’m the first one who needs to partially change their attitude about how they post...as many of my posts are negative oriented these days. I would like to see excitement about the music here again. So yeah, I agree that not everything should be negative. But I also understand where a lot of the negativity comes from.

Back on topic: Mike’s 22 second preview of the re-recording of Cali Girls.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 41 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx