gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:14:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love - Unleash the Love - Due November 17 - w/ 2nd Disc of BB Remakes  (Read 225739 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: October 27, 2017, 03:55:51 PM »

Beat me to it Hickory.

I can understand wanting to defend Mike against all the toxic people, but seriously, this defines "no-brainer"... Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 27, 2017, 04:01:01 PM »

All in good fun.

It relates to a discussion about Brian recording R&R covers on his proposed album. I thought it was a bad idea and could not understand re-recording classics. Already perfect so why touch them IMO.
Regardless who is on Mikes album singing what is irrelevant. If it ain’t broke, why fix it. If Brian re-records a classic of his or someone else, the same applies.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 27, 2017, 04:05:34 PM »

Beat me to it Hickory.

I can understand wanting to defend Mike against all the toxic people, but seriously, this defines "no-brainer"... Grin

Definitely not defending Mike. Like Add Some, not one penny has come from me for anything he has done since Carl’s death, C50 and official Beach Boys releases aside. That won’t change with UTL.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: October 27, 2017, 04:10:08 PM »

I still think any artist can record and release a cover of any song they want to cover. Mike can't even do that without fucking it up.

I've used the comparison before, for certain fans with a proclivity for defending Mike to any lengths, but it feels like if this were The Godfather, Mike would be Fredo Corleone. He feels like he got passed over on the true leadership and recognition departments for decades, to the point of feeling wronged, and has impossible Don Quixote type fantasy visions of how much he can get done if he was given a chance to run the show. Then when he does, it falls flat.

The scene, Godfather 2, of Fredo and Michael on the patio after Fredo betrayed him...Fredo says "I'm SMART and I want RESPECT!".

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: October 27, 2017, 04:11:16 PM »

Beat me to it Hickory.

Definitely not defending Mike. Like Add Some, not one penny has come from me for anything he has done since Carl’s death, C50 and official Beach Boys releases aside. That won’t change with UTL.

We share a similar mindset on those points. Not one penny from me either.

Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 27, 2017, 04:12:27 PM »

Definitely not defending Mike..........

is how all Mike defenders start their posts.

Just joking PF,  you's one of the good guys.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 04:13:04 PM by Hickory Violet Part IV » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 27, 2017, 04:36:28 PM »

Keeping with the godfather theme, I wonder if BW gave Mike the "kiss of death" when he broke up the C50.....

"Mike, you broke my heart....."

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 27, 2017, 04:39:40 PM »

Definitely not defending Mike..........

is how all Mike defenders start their posts.

Just joking PF,  you's one of the good guys.

Grin

Ditto!

I just call em as I see em. They have all grabbed defeat over the years.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 27, 2017, 04:41:37 PM »

Keeping with the godfather theme, I wonder if BW gave Mike the "kiss of death" when he broke up the C50.....

"Mike, you broke my heart....."

I’ll play! Remember the horse head? I predict Mikes album will be the other end!  LOL
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 27, 2017, 04:47:46 PM »

You don't come to Brooklyn and talk to a guy like Michael Lloyd like that! LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 27, 2017, 05:47:34 PM »

I must note here that, without the credits at hand, we don't know the exact role AJR plays on the new recording of "Darlin'" aside from (presumably) vocals. They are a self-contained band on their own, but they may simply be contributing those vocals to a track recorded by the BB touring group.

I've spent the evening listening to some of their stuff, which is very modern pop, but clever enough for the form. There's a gigantic shout-out to the Boys in this song, titled "Call My Dad." It starts around 48 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du_8o-Y0b6c
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 06:09:04 PM by Wirestone » Logged
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 27, 2017, 05:56:31 PM »

... I've spent the evening listening to some of their stuff, which is very modern pop, but clever enough for the form. There's a gigantic shout-out to the Boys in this song, titled "Call My Dad." It starts around 48 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du_8o-Y0b6c

You are NOT kidding!

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 27, 2017, 07:06:17 PM »

In any event, I mention this to point out that Mike certainly has been more hands-on with more recent archival BB releases. I don't think he literally doesn't care about them. I believe Howie Edelson mentioned that all of the band members spoke with enthusiasm when interviewed for "Sunshine Tomorrow", and Mike was certainly involved with MIC in 2012/13 to the point of commissioning an overdub on one of his songs. When tasked with a given project, I think Mike shows enough interest, and he's certainly signing off on these things.

If I recall correctly, one of the people behind the MiC release stated that Mike was as keen as (or even more so) any of the other members to have a big Dennis presence in the track-list. The fact it had all the hits on it too would have made the release more interesting to him, I imagine.

And there's the rub. "Hey Mike, we're going to do a BB archival release that focuses predominantly on Dennis!" I'm not sure how much he'd be pushing for that. (He apparently/allegedly wasn't a fan of the "Love & Mercy" soundtrack, which was ostensibly in part a "Beach Boys" release that was very Brian-centric, albeit in a different way).

But if handed an already-compiled project that has some Dennis stuff, it doesn't cost Mike anything to say "Yeah, sure! Sounds good." Especially if the project also takes out time to devote to Mike's stuff like "Brian's Back", "Goin' to the Beach", "Summer in Paradise", etc.

I don't believe Mike has been approaching BRI internally to champion Dennis archival material.

To be clear, I'm not saying Mike signing off on a good project is a bad thing, regardless of how much he's proactive about it. I'm also not suggesting MIC shouldn't focus on all members. That makes total sense.

Again, the basic idea is that Mike isn't adamantly opposed to archival stuff. He just doesn't prioritize it heavily when, in my opinion, he and all the members should be. When it comes to the Beach Boys, we're not talking like Beatles fans pushing for the other 27 takes of "I Saw Her Standing There" to be released (not a bad thing, to be sure). The Beach Boys have *albums worth* of totally unheard material that would be a game changer for them in terms of the story/narrative that's out there now regarding their later-era history.

Agreed certainly, and I'm pleased you acknowledge that it's not just Mike who's not overly interested. Carl it seems wasn't all that keen either. "Sweet and Bitter" didn't get as much excitement as it should've when it appeared out of the blue because it was a Mike lead, but for me that's quality enough it could be a single off a new archival release. If Mike is clued up enough about it beforehand to play it live (ala "Goin' to the beach") then that would make it more appealing. I could imagine the touring band playing a long lost Carl song, if not a Jardine one. 
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 27, 2017, 07:12:47 PM »

Weay back on one of the first pages I posted links to two AJR songs. Check them out. They are good
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 28, 2017, 01:39:59 AM »

Checked them out. They are not.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 28, 2017, 03:54:22 AM »

For whatever reason I just decided to listen to All the Love in Paris and the Darlin' remake. Couldn't make it to the end of either. All the Love made me want to take a shower. Will play some Wild Honey now and try to forget.
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 28, 2017, 06:06:29 AM »

Where is the Big Sur remake of the Good Vibrations Book Trailer?

You can hear it at about 0:54 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OutWymKjErk.

I Wasn't Asking for where it's sounds. I'm Asking What the hell Big sur is missing
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: October 29, 2017, 04:47:30 AM »

Where is the Big Sur remake of the Good Vibrations Book Trailer?

You can hear it at about 0:54 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OutWymKjErk.

I Wasn't Asking for where it's sounds. I'm Asking What the hell Big sur is missing

Mike could find no room on his album for the best song he has ever written alone. Classic Mike.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: October 29, 2017, 04:48:38 AM »

Is time for Ben Vaugh Quintet to re-release Ben"s Prayer..A/K/A Kill .......Love?   Sure it's still on utube.

Did Ben Vaughn release that in some form or was it just a live track? cant find it on discogs.

Lots of MP3 downloads around, Big Dinner, but I suspect they're all of that live performance.

Thanks John, got loads of Ben V records so was curious.

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 29, 2017, 05:23:00 AM »

Obviously, including all the Beach Boys redo's is because he realizes the solo material is weak, and his only real chance of selling the music is to include the legacy of the Beach Boys
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 29, 2017, 09:27:14 PM »

Obviously, including all the Beach Boys redo's is because he realizes the solo material is weak, and his only real chance of selling the music is to include the legacy of the Beach Boys
Albums of new material by older artists do not sell in Taylor Swift numbers in 2017. So naturally they are looking for anything they can use that will boost sales. I suspect ML's album will do well if he sells it at his shows.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: October 29, 2017, 10:45:41 PM »

Based on the sound samples I've heard so far, this album at best sounds alright.  Nothing overly remarkable and some questionable BB covers, but this is hardly as lousy as some of his previous embarrassing efforts.  Methinks a lot of the dooming and glooming on this board comes from those that are taking their anti-Mike Love hysteria just a little too personally.  I always thought "Cool Head, Warm Heart" was a pretty good song and some of the other track samples on here aren't too bad.  Nothing can save the ridiculous umpteenth cover of "Do It Again" though. 

At least Love isn't releasing this album under the "Beach Boys" title. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 30, 2017, 06:41:14 AM »

Awesoman, I agree completely. To be honest, I'm looking forward to adding it to my collection. But that's just the completest in me talking.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 30, 2017, 07:05:26 AM »

Awesoman, I agree completely. To be honest, I'm looking forward to adding it to my collection. But that's just the completest in me talking.

I'm looking forward to it too. I don't expect it to be very good at all. But he does have a few good songs. I think "Cool Head, Warm Heart", "I Don't Wanna Know" and "Too Cruel" are all pretty nice.

And I'll saying something else that will make me hated on here. Of the new songs on that Songs from Here & Back collection a few years ago, Mike's "Cool Head, Warm Heart" was by far the best new song, far better than Al's "PT Cruiser" or Brian's "The Spirit of Rock & Roll."

Obviously I think Mike's a bit of a dick-bag a lot of the time, but I'm not gonna sh*t on him when it's not necessary. Occasionally he can still do good work. And there's a few songs on this thing that I'm sure I'll be happy to add to my collection.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: October 30, 2017, 07:49:43 AM »

Perhaps worth pointing out is that on past BB-related products where autotune was used in some fashion, it has always varied from song to song. On TWMGTR, it's more obvious in certain spots ("Spring Vacation"), and less apparent, or dialed back, or not present at all on other tracks ("Think About the Days", "Pacific Coast Highway", etc.). Even on the C50 live album, while Mike sounds like a robot on something like "Don't Back Down", other tracks remain unscathed ("Getcha Back" as a random example).

Whereas, every sample released from Mike's new album so far has had pretty much the exact same ear-bleeding amount of autotune. It's the same robo-Mike pretty much across the board. I fear Mike has been done a disservice by his producer on this project. That same sound is present on the XMas single from a couple years ago as well. It's Mike's project and he surely chooses to sign off on this stuff, and I also can't rule out the possibility that he directed Michael Lloyd to use autotune. But to the degree the autotune is entering the picture by the hand of Lloyd, he's hurting the whole project. There's not subtlety to it whatsoever. It's more distracting than the worst autotune/processing I've heard on any other BB-related product. The rest of the production side of things isn't too hot either (Wirestone was right about "Darlin'", which sounds really dead and kind of throttled sonically), but Mike is near Frampton talkbox levels of autotune on this thing.

I'd seriously advise folks to, where the corresponding same track is available, seek out the circa 2004 Mike solo set floating around. I never thought the production on even *that* stuff was amazing, but it sounds far less processed. I'd also say Christian Love's takes on "Too Cruel" and "I Don't Wanna Know" sound better than Mikes, for whatever that's worth. Why Mike packed this new set with guest vocals but cut both of those is pretty perplexing.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 07:57:04 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 41 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx