gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:12:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love - Unleash the Love - Due November 17 - w/ 2nd Disc of BB Remakes  (Read 225607 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: October 27, 2017, 07:48:06 AM »

Can you M.C a M&B show with guest of honor OSD? Evil
LOL  As long as I can take the stage in my " myKe luHv is a douchbag " T shirt and sing the Ben Vaughn song.  Grin

"Do IT!!!  Do IT!!!  Do IT!!!"

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 27, 2017, 08:35:46 AM »

Full songs now on YouTube:

“All The Love In Paris”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgmloe5Tb04
“Unleash The Love”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IGZRF90j6o
“Darlin’”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj8gfeSG-TU

Like the re-recording of “Do It Again,” this new version of “Darlin’” seems to be an attempt to be modern/poppy. Not sure it works.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 27, 2017, 09:30:21 AM »

Three AMAZING, INCREDIBLE, and PROFOUND  reasons NOT to go anywhere near this waste of time (that I can't get back).  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 09:53:13 AM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 27, 2017, 09:34:09 AM »

Comments posted yet? Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 27, 2017, 10:27:32 AM »

"All the love in Paris" isn't too bad, kind of reminds me of "don't worry baby" and the sax part is pretty cool. It sounds like it could have fit on "still cruisin".

"Unleash the love" is okay, not horrible though, even though it sounds like he has a crap load of autotune on his voice.

"Darlin" is a remake, not as good as the original, sounds like it could have been on the " Nascar" CD..
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 27, 2017, 10:28:36 AM »

Why does Darlin' sound like it was recorded in a broom closet?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: October 27, 2017, 10:31:25 AM »

Well, Michael Lloyd *did* produce this epic single:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 27, 2017, 10:34:00 AM »

I can't hear Mike on this track at all.  Can anyone hear him on it?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: October 27, 2017, 10:42:03 AM »

I can't hear Mike on this track at all.  Can anyone hear him on it?

I was thinking the same thing as I was listening. First, who is singing lead on this?

Second, if Mike is anywhere he may be the bass vocal. But then I realized Mike is pretty much just as involved in this recording as he was in the original Darlin...which is an involvement level of very slim.

Then I thought to myself yet again, so what's the point of this other than to counter the release of The Real Beach Boys' 1967 collection which features The Real Beach Boys doing the recordings everyone knows and loves and has guys named "Wilson" actually featured on the tracks.

How this remake version of Darlin falls under a "Mike Love" labeling/category is something perhaps only Mike's apologists and flacks can explain.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: October 27, 2017, 10:44:06 AM »

Regarding autotune, I know several folks have already mentioned in passing Mike's comments about it and the irony involved in his new albums swimming in it, but I thought it would be good to repost the specific quote from Mike from his early 2015 "interview" when asked about Brian and Al's "The Right Time":

"I haven't heard the song yet, I am sure with Al's voice and hopefully no autotune, the song will be great."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: October 27, 2017, 10:50:15 AM »

And not to keep repeating points already made, but how arrogant is it coming from Mike to expect fans to get behind his remake of Darlin which has perhaps less than 10% involvement from ANY "Beach Boys" while telling his fans about his passive attitude toward archival releases that feature The Real Beach Boys?

That's just warped, man. No other description fits. I'm glad this stuff is free so I can listen and not have to drop one penny into Mike's piggybank to hear this revisionism.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 27, 2017, 10:54:18 AM »

I can't hear Mike on this track at all.  Can anyone hear him on it?

I was thinking the same thing as I was listening. First, who is singing lead on this?

Second, if Mike is anywhere he may be the bass vocal. But then I realized Mike is pretty much just as involved in this recording as he was in the original Darlin...which is an involvement level of very slim.

Then I thought to myself yet again, so what's the point of this other than to counter the release of The Real Beach Boys' 1967 collection which features The Real Beach Boys doing the recordings everyone knows and loves and has guys named "Wilson" actually featured on the tracks.

How this remake version of Darlin falls under a "Mike Love" labeling/category is something perhaps only Mike's apologists and flacks can explain.

John Cowsill, according to the promo materials. He's on Wild Honey.

AJR? Whatever that is.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 10:56:00 AM by Wirestone » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: October 27, 2017, 10:57:57 AM »

I think we should just be glad that the BB license only pertains to touring.

Given that he's literally presenting the "classic" BB songs on this album as songs performed by his touring band, to the point of having Cowsill sing a lead, I think at this point it's pretty obvious that if Mike could call this thing a "Beach Boys" album, he totally would.

It's beyond strange that the exact same group of musicians can perform a song on stage as "The Beach Boys", but then have to be called "Mike Love" when you press it onto a disc. Don't get me wrong, that's better than the aforementioned alternative.

But yeah, I'm kind of confused as to why Mike, on his *own* album, wouldn't just pick songs he can sing. He even did "Ballad of Ole Betsy" on that NASCAR album and just sang it in a lower register.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: October 27, 2017, 11:00:45 AM »

I can't hear Mike on this track at all.  Can anyone hear him on it?

John Cowsill, according to the promo materials. He's on Wild Honey.

AJR? Whatever that is.

An "indie pop band" apparently. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJR_(band)

As for their provenance, there's this:

AJR's debut single, "I'm Ready", which features a sample of SpongeBob SquarePants repeatedly singing his catchphrase, "I'm ready," from the eponymous animated series' premiere episode, was commercially released on August 22, 2013.

They apparently met him (and seemingly un-ironically referred to him as "our hero") in May of 2016 (perhaps when they made the recording?). Mike seems pretty interested in this shot:

« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:03:21 AM by HeyJude » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: October 27, 2017, 11:10:18 AM »

So, wait...Mike has a band called AJR doing Darlin, it's not even his band on that track? And he wants fans to listen and buy that over The Real Beach Boys?

What the serious f*** is going on here?

(That photo...Mike is wearing the Corvette cap...must have been a Tuesday lol )

(That photo part 2...Mike's tour badge says TALENT...the irony reminded me of Landy holding a sign in front of Brian on the '76 SNL performance that said SMILE )

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: October 27, 2017, 11:14:02 AM »

I haven't had a chance to listen to "Darlin'" yet, but I would think they at least technically have Mike singing some bass background part on it or something. If he literally just commissioned another artist to record one of his songs but then stuck it on his album, that's indeed pretty lame.

I'm sure someone at some point here will bring up Brian's guest stars on NPP, but Brian produced/played and/or sang on all those guest tracks, and wrote/co-wrote the material as well. It was also *new* material. Note that the one track where one of the guests recorded a cover of Brian's with Brian (She & Him doing "God Only Knows"), Brian *didn't* include that on his album, leaving it for the Soundstage Blu-ray (and maybe a She & Him album?).

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 27, 2017, 11:18:51 AM »

The lovester has been lazy in the studio since the 1960s as the SOT boots prove.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: October 27, 2017, 11:33:01 AM »

Well that answers why it was a mystery trying to figure out who was singing lead on Mike's Darlin remake...now the question is apart from Mike if that's him doing bass vocals, are any of Mike's musicians on that cut or is it this band "AJR" instead?

It's really hard to believe if it wasn't a reality. Mike wants fans to listen to AJR covering Beach Boys songs, billed as a Mike Love solo release even though he's on maybe 10% of the recording, and downplays the Real Beach Boys archival release of the same songs? Damn.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: October 27, 2017, 12:00:33 PM »

I'm trying to think of a hypothetical example to compare this too, which would come from one of the few similar legacy artists or legendary bands as the Beach Boys with a solo member releasing an album.

Best I can do is imagine if McCartney released a solo album with a cover of John's Norwegian Wood that didn't feature Macca's own live band, but instead a new band that was mostly unknown. And imagine if all McCartney himself added was duplicating his harmony vocal on the "she asked me to stay..." sections from the original, and that was it. Then he puts it out as a "Paul McCartney" solo release.

I'm imagining both McCartney's fans and especially Beatles fans would feel like they just got rooked by an original Beatle.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 27, 2017, 12:04:22 PM »

Some AJR tunes ...

"I'm Not Famous": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkXYjy6sZ2A

"Drama": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD6KJ7QtQH8
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: October 27, 2017, 12:10:23 PM »

Good of Mike to wear the "talent" badge 'round his neck and dangling down  to the south side of his ever-so-cool sunglasses.  Otherwise...Who would have known?  If your talent has "left the building"...just wear a tag that says you have some.  As good as an alternative as was likely available when the photographer showed up.  I wonder if they used it for the album cover?

Oh and  All of the links to the 'music' are no longer available.  At least not here.  Maybe U-Tube has standards?

------------------------

Hey MIKE!!! The camera is OVER HERE!!!  Obviously BEING in 'the here and now' has not been one of his strong suits/'talents' since somewhere in the vicinity of 1965.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:23:36 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 27, 2017, 12:46:27 PM »

Well that answers why it was a mystery trying to figure out who was singing lead on Mike's Darlin remake...now the question is apart from Mike if that's him doing bass vocals, are any of Mike's musicians on that cut or is it this band "AJR" instead?

It's really hard to believe if it wasn't a reality. Mike wants fans to listen to AJR covering Beach Boys songs, billed as a Mike Love solo release even though he's on maybe 10% of the recording, and downplays the Real Beach Boys archival release of the same songs? Damn.

But......?  LOL

Since when does a musician covering a song have to be an improvement versus an interpretation or just someone wanting to record a song which they love?

(Sorry GF)
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 27, 2017, 01:56:48 PM »

Absolutely incredible how the Lovester can get away with some of this stuff.....using a boy band to re record Darlin, then putting it on HIS solo album is bad enough, but using the Beach Boys logo etc...is just plain wrong. He is nauseating....go away, retire, or whatever......but re recording classic Beach Boy tunes and plastering them on what is supposed to be a Mike Love solo alum.....oh please. JUST GO AWAY!
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 27, 2017, 03:48:47 PM »

But......?  LOL

Since when does a musician covering a song have to be an improvement versus an interpretation or just someone wanting to record a song which they love?

(Sorry GF)

I think the key point is that Mike had little to zero to do with this cover. So he hasn't really recorded it, he's basically put someone elses cover on his album.

I haven't heard Darlin, it's no longer available (that's my evening spoilt), but I did listen to those two songs by AGD or AJR or whatever they're called.

If that horrible, lazy, mumbled, not pronouncing words properly so called conversational style of singing has been used on Darlin, then those three jokers need stringing up and flaying alive. They should then be force fed their own genitals.  I'm deadly serious.

Also Mike should have his license to use the Beach Boys name revoked forthwith for allowing this to be recorded.

Like I say, I haven't heard it, but my judgement is final.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 04:02:34 PM by Hickory Violet Part IV » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: October 27, 2017, 03:54:34 PM »

But......?  LOL

(Sorry GF)

If AJR had done a cover of Darlin and released it as AJR feat. Mike Love, that's what normal artists do when they cover a song. No issues with that at all, in fact it's cool to hear different takes on a known song. Mike puts a cover version by this group AJR on which his role in that recording is minimal (to say the least) on his solo album and has it billed as a Mike Love solo track, and at the same time tells fans he has no interest in the Real Beach Boys' archival release featuring the same song as it was cut in '67. Yet he still he pastes a sticker with "The Beach Boys" logo on his solo record...so "AJR" are now the Beach Boys for one track? Or what...it's a clusterfuck of the highest order but Mike deals in such things as normal practice.

Did this really need further explanation?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 41 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx