gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:24:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love - Unleash the Love - Due November 17 - w/ 2nd Disc of BB Remakes  (Read 225572 times)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2017, 08:11:46 AM »

"Unleash The Hate". the Hoffman board has deleted the" UTL" thread which, of course, and deservedly so, became embroiled in a myKe luHv hate fest with the usual  ML apologists and fanboys getting their panties in a twist. Just another example of how polarizing this buffoon has made himself to be and I can only hope he knows about it whether he cares or not.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2017, 10:07:21 AM »

Told neighbor about new M. Love issue and his reply was so fitting.  "sh*t The Bed"
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2017, 10:55:15 AM »

"Unleash The Hate". the Hoffman board has deleted the" UTL" thread which, of course, and deservedly so, became embroiled in a myKe luHv hate fest with the usual  ML apologists and fanboys getting their panties in a twist. Just another example of how polarizing this buffoon has made himself to be and I can only hope he knows about it whether he cares or not.

No surprise there. I'm amazed the Hoffman folks haven't learned the lesson from when they had to shut down at least two threads over there when that same crew started talking sh*t about this board and having a circle jerk about how great it was to be reunited. I'm surprised Peaches & Herb wasn't playing in the background.

But anyway, yeah - No surprise there. Maybe people will learn who or what is the real "toxic" element in all of this mess.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2017, 11:01:03 AM »

And add to all this the comments posted to RS on Facebook, and other sites...it gets bad when the negative to positive ratio of comments starts hitting 98 to 2 or something.

I think some of the reactions may have been less intense had Mike not pasted that goofy fucking logo on the cover and let his own work stand on its own. And also, have just a disc of his music and leave the Beach Boys remakes for USB thumb drive freebies where they belong, short of locked in a vault.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2017, 11:09:31 AM »

I’m really hoping that Mark McGrath will get another guest spot with Mike on the album...preferably yelling “Do it!” during the chorus of ‘Kiss Me Baby’

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2017, 11:10:29 AM »

I’m really hoping that Mark McGrath will get another guest spot with Mike on the album...preferably yelling “Do it!” during the chorus of ‘Kiss Me Baby’

I was hoping for a McGrath "DO IT!!!" cameo on Pisces Brothers.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2017, 11:10:52 AM »

Makes me proud to be a Minneapolitan.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
lastofmykind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2017, 11:20:34 AM »

I talked to some one inside the Mike Love camp today who confirmed that Mike recorded lead vocals for Too Cruel and I Don't Wanna Know.  I for one am highly disappointed that he took Christian's vocals off both songs. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2017, 11:22:51 AM »

The only song where a McGrath cameo makes the song better LOL

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2017, 11:30:56 AM »

The only song where a McGrath cameo makes the song better LOL

Haha, true! But it's still galling how Mike and his producers and managers fail to see how having McGrath yell "DO IT!" on one of the coolest singles of all time isn't the same as me going to the Philadelphia Art Museum and chucking water balloons filled with white paint at the Impressionist masterworks.

So I wonder how Mike would digest hearing his "masterpiece" defaced by Mark McGrath yelling and grunting throughout the song. "Hare Krishna...DO IT!...gonna miss ya...Unnhhh, LETS DO IT..."

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2017, 11:33:34 AM »

This song has been floating around YouTube for years.  And, it doesn't seem to conform to the Mike-"style" that is generally attributed to him.  It is more lyrical in nature, "telling a story" and truly a "snapshot" captured of a more spiritual experience that became a commonality for many of that era's musicians, looking "beyond and outside of themselves" but which, according to an interview of Olivia Harrison, after George died, left a lifelong change in lifestyle, which, George carried to his death.  She reported that George meditated more, as he was in Hospice, and that his exit from life, was more accepted as peaceful. 

This whole Eastern mysticism was perceived as a whole new way of looking at life, throughout the Western world, as a means of looking inward, and in a detached (from material goods) manner, brought to the masses via the translation in the Beatles' music and to a certain, perhaps lesser extent, the Beach Boys, and other high profile actors, etc. gave the Eastern philosophy perspective a "voice" with their music, and the use of the sitar. 

This song isn't "news" per se because it has been around for about 10 years, but has a certain "official dedication" in a timely fashion, to George Harrison, whose absence is no less felt, alongside John Lennon, and the departed Beach Boys, Dennis and Carl.  And, in a certain sense, John Lennon's death was as incongruous as Dennis' drowning.  And Carl's death seems analogous to George's; lung to brain cancer.   

I guess Mike had a story inside himself to tell that isn't an easy one to put into words, that took shape in that song.  But it is, I find a "snapshot," of an era and influences that won't be duplicated, and oddly the TM thing is being carried forward, as a vehicle to make schools less violent in the States.  Especially schools, where there are metal detectors at the door, a sign of kids coming from homes where guns and violence are just part of their lives.  Mike got that award, in part, as a result of the social conscience that the music world acquired from Eastern influences, grounded in a difference in perspective from Western thinking.  And the encouragement of tolerance.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2017, 11:37:17 AM »

"LET'S DO IT AGAIN! UNNNH...DO IT AGAIN! DO IT! DO IT!" 

Genius, right there.

Put that together with Pisces Brothers, and the genius factor would be so strong it would be lethal.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2017, 11:50:48 AM »

This song has been floating around YouTube for years.  And, it doesn't seem to conform to the Mike-"style" that is generally attributed to him.  It is more lyrical in nature, "telling a story" and truly a "snapshot" captured of a more spiritual experience that became a commonality for many of that era's musicians, looking "beyond and outside of themselves" but which, according to an interview of Olivia Harrison, after George died, left a lifelong change in lifestyle, which, George carried to his death.  She reported that George meditated more, as he was in Hospice, and that his exit from life, was more accepted as peaceful. 

This whole Eastern mysticism was perceived as a whole new way of looking at life, throughout the Western world, as a means of looking inward, and in a detached (from material goods) manner, brought to the masses via the translation in the Beatles' music and to a certain, perhaps lesser extent, the Beach Boys, and other high profile actors, etc. gave the Eastern philosophy perspective a "voice" with their music, and the use of the sitar. 

This song isn't "news" per se because it has been around for about 10 years, but has a certain "official dedication" in a timely fashion, to George Harrison, whose absence is no less felt, alongside John Lennon, and the departed Beach Boys, Dennis and Carl.  And, in a certain sense, John Lennon's death was as incongruous as Dennis' drowning.  And Carl's death seems analogous to George's; lung to brain cancer.   

I guess Mike had a story inside himself to tell that isn't an easy one to put into words, that took shape in that song.  But it is, I find a "snapshot," of an era and influences that won't be duplicated, and oddly the TM thing is being carried forward, as a vehicle to make schools less violent in the States.  Especially schools, where there are metal detectors at the door, a sign of kids coming from homes where guns and violence are just part of their lives.  Mike got that award, in part, as a result of the social conscience that the music world acquired from Eastern influences, grounded in a difference in perspective from Western thinking.  And the encouragement of tolerance.

Thank you “guitar fool” for this “throwback” in time. In all seriousness, this is a great throwback to what nightmarish depths the Kokodopes will go to put Mike on a pedestal. I mean, the “encouragement of tolerance” from the guy who wrote/approved some of the most appalling bullshit about Brian in the 2005 lawsuit - not to mention Al during that same timeframe?

To be fair to Mike, he hasn’t really said a peep negatively about Brian recently and I give him props for that. Seems like he finally realized that his words do have an effect on how people look at him...hopefully the trend continues. But to write that “encouraging tolerance” sh*t in 2014 during the prime era of sh*t-talking about Brian via Mike is hysterical.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2017, 12:27:46 PM »

Happy “Saturday” rab and GF. Beer

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2017, 02:18:26 PM »

Cheers, SB! Beer

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2017, 02:27:45 PM »

Let's not steal my schtick, folks.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2017, 02:31:03 PM »

Imitation is the sincerist form of flattery... Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2017, 02:41:43 PM »

That won’t work in this situation. Take it one more degree... Come on!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2017, 02:48:07 PM »

Well give us a faux-Filleplage post from the “master”!

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »

Let's not steal my schtick, folks.

LOL the record number of quotation marks in that filledeplague post warranted a bit of emergency satire on my part. I hand the torch honorably back to you.

Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2017, 08:01:29 PM »

What store is actually going to carry this? I don't see physical copies of this existing anywhere beyond his website and Amazon.

Well, I have yet to se an actual physical copy of Sunshine Tomorrow in any record store or department yet, and I've been in quite a few.  Surprisingly so, I might add....

As for the re-records, well Brian's "Smile" (more like a faux-Smile to me) album was basically a re-record job.  No I don't care much for those, regardless of which BB does it.  But the first disk of this set appears to be a rather useful compendium of many unofficially released tracks in one spot.  Having said that, I doubt I buy it.  Just too much old stuff, previously released or not....

I can’t resist because BWPS, even with its imperfections (primarily that there is only one BB on it), is my favorite album.

BWPS is SmILE because Brian said it was.
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2017, 08:36:22 PM »

BRI won’t sue because this will not generate enough revenue to warrant a suit.

Crap like this (the remakes) more sad than anything else. Mike does have an admirable legacy but his quest to be put on par with BW makes him a modern day Salieri.

As for the press release. Was it written by the same person who called ‘Endless Summer’ a Mike Love inspired concept album?

Mike was neither “the lead vocalist” nor the “chief lyricist” of The Beach Boys.

A less kind person would point out that when Brian felt there was something important to say lyrically or to be sung he would opt for someone’s other than Mike Love for the lyrics or lead vocals.

I would be remiss if I did not point out that the least interesting component of a song co-written (certainly after 1963) or sung by Mike Love were Mike Love’s contributions.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 08, 2017, 12:07:45 AM »

Mike does have an admirable legacy but his quest to be put on par with BW makes him a modern day Salieri.

I'm sure Mike would be the first to agree with that ananogy as Salieri is one of the most unfairly maligned figures in music (thanks to some contemporaneous unfounded whispers and a fairly recent play/movie)

In the real world Mozart and Salieri got on just fine.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: October 08, 2017, 11:46:41 AM »

BRI won’t sue because this will not generate enough revenue to warrant a suit.

Crap like this (the remakes) more sad than anything else. Mike does have an admirable legacy but his quest to be put on par with BW makes him a modern day Salieri.

As for the press release. Was it written by the same person who called ‘Endless Summer’ a Mike Love inspired concept album?

Mike was neither “the lead vocalist” nor the “chief lyricist” of The Beach Boys.

A less kind person would point out that when Brian felt there was something important to say lyrically or to be sung he would opt for someone’s other than Mike Love for the lyrics or lead vocals.

I would be remiss if I did not point out that the least interesting component of a song co-written (certainly after 1963) or sung by Mike Love were Mike Love’s contributions.

Nice post - Agreed 100%. And about Smile too.

Trying to say Mike was the lead vocalist or chief lyricist of the BB's is as much bullshit as it would be to assign such titles to either Lennon or McCartney, it excludes and ignores how the band really worked. But being in this warped fandom where people from flacks to historians to average fans can distort facts and history as they see fit and get mad when challenged by the actual facts, it's no surprise to see this stuff on official press releases coming from Mike's people.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: October 08, 2017, 12:43:28 PM »

Just on that topic, take an informal poll of which 5 Beach Boys songs are their most well-known as of 2017, or 10 songs for that matter, and calculate on how many of those was Mike either the "lead vocalist" versus part of a shared lead between Mike-Brian and later Carl and Al and the group blend, and on how many of those Mike was "chief lyricist" versus collabs with Brian, Christian, Usher, Asher, Parks...et al especially on the 60's "classic" era hits.

The fact that this nonsense keeps getting published and shared just boggles the mind, and it's just as frustrating to see those who will stoop to any depths of eschewing common knowledge to defend this crap, and things like Mike producing the Endless Summer comp. What a messed up scene all of this can really be.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 41 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx