gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:37:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love - Unleash the Love - Due November 17 - w/ 2nd Disc of BB Remakes  (Read 223731 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #925 on: February 09, 2018, 09:31:19 AM »

Will Mike be appearing with any live ostriches to promote his upcoming ostrich farmer festival gig? Will Mike autograph a live ostrich if someone brings one to the meet n greet?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: February 09, 2018, 09:51:21 AM »

Will “the legendary AGD” be serving bud lights? Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: February 09, 2018, 10:14:09 AM »

There it is, right? It's such a defined pattern you can recognize it as soon as you know what the pattern is. I guess giving Mike Love a positive review should include taking a shot at either Brian Wilson or his fanbase instead of judging anything Mike does on its own merit...according to the pattern. Because, obviously according to the pattern, any fans who don't see the genius and greatness in Mike Love are either blind BW worshipers or simply have not been properly educated on the real history of the band and Mike Love, and therefore are not real fans until they get their heads straight...courtesy the real fans and historians, I guess.

:lolU
"

I'm really heartbroken that several of you didn't enjoy my Amazon reviews of "Unleash the Love" posted above.  Grin LOL  I guess I'd need to listen to it to review it? I think I sort of heard 2 songs on Mike Grant's show. One sounded like several of those BBs tribute bands - pleasant enough, but some pretty obvious production "vocal corrections." The other must have been from the 2nd disc as it was an old BBs cover.  I left the room after a bit of that one.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: February 09, 2018, 10:22:37 AM »

Those in the area, get the inside scoop on the album from Mike himself:

"Mike Love will autograph your new Robert Graham tribute shirt at The Mall at UTC in Sarasota this Monday from 5:30-7:00pm!
Get the behind the scenes scoop on his new album 'Unleash The Love' and experience the new collection."

Is this real?  I can't even tell.  And I mean that about all aspects.  Is it real that Mike is doing a shirt-signing?  And do said shirts actually have a picture of Mike Love...not on them but IN them?  There is something very subversive about that. 
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #929 on: February 09, 2018, 10:24:43 AM »

Wonder will the vinyl release of this album ever happen? Date seems to move back all the time.

Vinyl? What would be the point?

Dunno but it's been talked about from the start. 23rd Feb now on Amazon.com....2nd March in UK.

I seem to recall someone at the PSF reporting seeing a vinyl copy on the shelves in a HMV in the UK.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: February 09, 2018, 10:40:14 AM »

"Mike Love will autograph your new Robert Graham tribute shirt at The Mall at UTC in Sarasota this Monday from 5:30-7:00pm!
Get the behind the scenes scoop on his new album 'Unleash The Love' and experience the new collection."

Is this real?  I can't even tell.  And I mean that about all aspects.  Is it real that Mike is doing a shirt-signing?  And do said shirts actually have a picture of Mike Love...not on them but IN them?  There is something very subversive about that. 

There had better be an exclusive hat collection offered with all of this.

Ya know, a hat with built in speakers with a TM mantra “Ram raj rim job bak en ussr” constantly repeating itself. A state of the art baldness detection system that immediately notifies the wearer of any pattern of unwanted follicle removal. A female recognition radar network that alerts the user of immediate opportunity to find quick companionship.

This shirt line is just the beginning of a new era of total Mike Love dominance in the fashion world. Look out Gucci, Mike Love has entered your domain.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #931 on: February 09, 2018, 10:52:57 AM »

I've heard of every type of memorabilia. I've never heard someone refer to something as a "tribute shirt."

I checked the Robert Graham store website, and they don't appear to sell the "Mike Love Tribute Shirt" on their website so far.

You can get a pseudo-Beach Boys replica striped shirt for...... $248.00.......

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #932 on: February 09, 2018, 10:55:36 AM »

There had better be an exclusive hat collection offered with all of this.

Ya know, a hat with built in speakers with a TM mantra “Ram raj rim job bak en ussr” constantly repeating itself. A state of the art baldness detection system that immediately notifies the wearer of any pattern of unwanted follicle removal. A female recognition radar network that alerts the user of immediate opportunity to find quick companionship.

This shirt line is just the beginning of a new era of total Mike Love dominance in the fashion world. Look out Gucci, Mike Love has entered your domain.
Don't forget the spanx-like underwear to hide the wine gut.... Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #933 on: February 09, 2018, 10:56:06 AM »

Apparently Robert Graham is the company that has been making the overpriced shirts Mike has been bundling on his website with his book, etc. for some time:

I'm trying to think of something uglier than this:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #934 on: February 09, 2018, 10:57:13 AM »

Lets get a kickstarter for OSD to get one..... Cool

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #935 on: February 09, 2018, 10:58:49 AM »

Apparently Robert Graham's thing on many shirts (do a Google image search) is to make the shirts look like your great grandma's old wallpaper, but on acid.

The shirts look like a wax version of the "Gettin' in Over My Head" album cover melting.  

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: February 09, 2018, 11:03:54 AM »

Apparently Robert Graham is the company that has been making the overpriced shirts Mike has been bundling on his website with his book, etc. for some time:

Good lord Shocked

Is this from the Formal Clown Collection? Who would wear this shirt in public?

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: February 09, 2018, 11:05:36 AM »

Mike Love
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: February 09, 2018, 11:47:54 AM »

Good lord Shocked

Wouldn't it have been great if someone at the t-shirt design factory snuck in an "Over and over the crow cries uncover the cornfield" lyric into the design somewhere as an easter egg?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 12:01:52 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: February 09, 2018, 11:55:44 AM »

Or a VDP picture! LOL

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: February 09, 2018, 12:03:08 PM »

Or a VDP picture! LOL

It's just funny because the shirt is SO 1966-1967-centric, and seems to romanticize that time period, which of course is the time period that the majority of people who take issue with Mr. Love believe he acted particularly abhorrently, or at least in a manner that perhaps most negatively impacted the band's career (arguably of course, because there are so many time periods to choose from regarding terrible actions - and yes I know he cowrote Good Vibrations in this time period too).  

Other than the obvious positives that Mike contributed to the song Good Vibrations, I think that only in Mike's own mind is that era any kind of era that people would largely associate him with in any sort of "positive" way.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 12:32:02 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: February 09, 2018, 12:20:38 PM »

Seems to be real. Ad is on his Facebook page.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: February 09, 2018, 12:43:43 PM »

It's real.  Look closely at the pictures on the Robert Graham website.  There are smaller photos that show the details of the shirt.  The cuff folds over to reveal a young Mike Love.  So you can wear this on your business casual Friday and flip over the cuff when you're feeling particularly wild. 

http://www.robertgraham.us/mens-sport-shirt-beach-boys-2017-rp171056cf.html

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #943 on: February 09, 2018, 01:19:38 PM »

Or a VDP picture! LOL

It's just funny because the shirt is SO 1966-1967-centric, and seems to romanticize that time period, which of course is the time period that the majority of people who take issue with Mr. Love believe he acted particularly abhorrently, or at least in a manner that perhaps most negatively impacted the band's career (arguably of course, because there are so many time periods to choose from regarding terrible actions - and yes I know he cowrote Good Vibrations in this time period too).  

Other than the obvious positives that Mike contributed to the song Good Vibrations, I think that only in Mike's own mind is that era any kind of era that people would largely associate him with in any sort of "positive" way.

Time/era aside, that shirt HeyJude posted above is completely influenced by the acid culture of the 1960s in both style and reference (Haight/Ashbury street). And for a man whose biggest regret in life is the drugs that other people took, you’d think he’d be less inclined to support such a cultural style that was directly influenced by the drugs he supposedly hates.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: February 09, 2018, 01:34:34 PM »

Or a VDP picture! LOL

Time/era aside, that shirt HeyJude posted above is completely influenced by the acid culture of the 1960s in both style and reference (Haight/Ashbury street). And for a man whose biggest regret in life is the drugs that other people took, you’d think he’d be less inclined to support such a cultural style that was directly influenced by the drugs he supposedly hates.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. It's really, really weird. Mike's the last guy to be promoting an "association" with him and the Haight/Ashbury scene... and he'd also probably be literally the last person from famous bands of that era to be welcomed with open arms to the remnants of that scene today. Laughable in every way. It's like Vanilla Ice marketing a shirt today that has a bunch of hardcore Compton gangsta rap 1990s imagery.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 01:36:40 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: February 09, 2018, 01:50:58 PM »

Or a VDP picture! LOL

Yep, my thoughts exactly. It's really, really weird. Mike's the last guy to be promoting an "association" with him and the Haight/Ashbury scene... and he'd also probably be literally the last person from famous bands of that era to be welcomed with open arms to the remnants of that scene today. Laughable in every way. It's like Vanilla Ice marketing a shirt today that has a bunch of hardcore Compton gangsta rap 1990s imagery.

And it makes you wonder who the hell this is marketed toward. Like Gabo said, Mike Love would wear this, and I think that’s about the only person who would wear this. Reminds me of...

“Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?  Oh, it looks good on you though”

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #946 on: February 09, 2018, 01:57:13 PM »

Or a VDP picture! LOL

And it makes you wonder who the hell this is marketed toward. Like Gabo said, Mike Love would wear this, and I think that’s about the only person who would wear this. Reminds me of...

“Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?  Oh, it looks good on you though”

The only people who would wear this shirt (made "famous" by a waaaaaaaay out of touch rich old guy) are other rich old guys who are similarly waaaaay out of touch, because they'll be the only people who can afford said shirts, and also the only people who won't realize the unbelievable ironies that make for unintentional hilarity that we have spoken about.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: February 09, 2018, 02:00:45 PM »

That makes sense. So sad some people get to a point where they piss away money on obviously bad styled shirts with Mike Love painted on them. Talk about a low point.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #948 on: February 09, 2018, 02:21:58 PM »

That shirt looks like something Pennywise vomited up

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: February 09, 2018, 02:37:30 PM »

I love how Billy can win the entire thread with one comment.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx