gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:47:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love - Unleash the Love - Due November 17 - w/ 2nd Disc of BB Remakes  (Read 223720 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: November 27, 2017, 01:48:22 PM »

CD sales at concert merch stands *can* be submitted, but there are a bunch of guidelines that must be followed.

I'm not sure Mike's operation would jump through all those hoops, and I'm also not sure the sales would be enough to jump them that high up the chart.

I don’t know, texting a phone number flashed on a screen behind the band to get 50% off the CD at a concert seems like a great sales tactic.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #851 on: November 27, 2017, 01:50:29 PM »

CD sales at concert merch stands *can* be submitted, but there are a bunch of guidelines that must be followed.

I'm not sure Mike's operation would jump through all those hoops, and I'm also not sure the sales would be enough to jump them that high up the chart.

I don’t know, texting a phone number flashed on a screen behind the band to get 50% off the CD at a concert seems like a great sales tactic.

If it's a 50% off code for purchasing online, then it *might* be able to be counted.

If it's sold for 50% off at the merch stand, Neilsen Soundscan states it can't be counted.

Every link on Mike's website to purchase the album points to Amazon, so I'm not sure where the 50% discount code would be applicable.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 01:54:00 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: November 27, 2017, 01:59:22 PM »

Interesting info about what counts and what doesn't... still it's the same for all artists. It's not like other artists aren't selling copies at concerts, in stores, online, and digitally. At the end of the day, hovering around #800 on Amazon is not gonna cut it (especially if the album isn't as widely available in stores as other albums are). Look at the numbers for Sunshine Tomorrow (which probably cracked the top 20 on Amazon at its peak!)...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 02:00:49 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: November 27, 2017, 03:23:12 PM »

When does the billboard album chart come out?
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: November 28, 2017, 07:36:43 AM »

While there are some articles mentioned the new albums chart results (e.g. the top performers) today, it looks like the actual "Top 200" chart on the Billboard website still refers to the previous week's charts. So I don't think the full Top 200 for the week Mike's album premiered is viewable yet.

It appears to have updated. When I checked the website yesterday Abbey Road was #194, now it's #174. Unsurprisingly, the various Christmas albums have all jumped up the charts. Also, unsurprisingly, no Unleash the Love.

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: November 28, 2017, 10:43:04 AM »

Unleash the love has now beaten the Eagles greatest hits as the biggest selling album of all times....  LOL
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: November 28, 2017, 10:45:00 AM »

It's pretty miraculous that Mike Love got a record deal in the first place to release an album of new material. Old-timers from the Sixties are usually told by the industry these days, "either rerecord the old hits as duets or make an album where you cover famous songs from other artists". It's obvious the second disc had to be included in order for the company to agree to release the new material, but we can just disregard it and at least we got a whole LP of new material!

It's ok of course to not like the CD but I do wonder: will those who wish the CD didn't even exist be happy when ML and all of the other BBs are dead -- which will be the case in just a few years -- and there can never be ANY new material from any of them, including Mike? I think it's great that there even IS new solo BB material being released; even if it's not grade-A music, it's better than what awaits all of us as fans, which is no new material, ever, when they finally pass away.

I am glad Mike is trying to release new music, I just wish he would avoid Autotune and not be a gigantic hypocrite about the issue. And the curry line is beyond embarrassing.

Any response to my comparison of the curry line and a watermelon/chitlin comment? That type of reference done in a stereotypical black butler 1930s type voice would be perfectly fine in your eyes too at the end of a song by Mike?

Tumbleweeds from kreen...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #857 on: November 28, 2017, 10:52:51 AM »

While there are some articles mentioned the new albums chart results (e.g. the top performers) today, it looks like the actual "Top 200" chart on the Billboard website still refers to the previous week's charts. So I don't think the full Top 200 for the week Mike's album premiered is viewable yet.

It appears to have updated. When I checked the website yesterday Abbey Road was #194, now it's #174. Unsurprisingly, the various Christmas albums have all jumped up the charts. Also, unsurprisingly, no Unleash the Love.

Great, so we'll get a "Santa's Gonna Unleash the Love" remix next year....

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: November 28, 2017, 11:08:49 AM »

Great, so we'll get a "Santa's Gonna Unleash the Love" remix next year....

‘....in Kokomo’.  LOL
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: November 28, 2017, 12:13:16 PM »

It's pretty miraculous that Mike Love got a record deal in the first place to release an album of new material. Old-timers from the Sixties are usually told by the industry these days, "either rerecord the old hits as duets or make an album where you cover famous songs from other artists". It's obvious the second disc had to be included in order for the company to agree to release the new material, but we can just disregard it and at least we got a whole LP of new material!

It's ok of course to not like the CD but I do wonder: will those who wish the CD didn't even exist be happy when ML and all of the other BBs are dead -- which will be the case in just a few years -- and there can never be ANY new material from any of them, including Mike? I think it's great that there even IS new solo BB material being released; even if it's not grade-A music, it's better than what awaits all of us as fans, which is no new material, ever, when they finally pass away.

I am glad Mike is trying to release new music, I just wish he would avoid Autotune and not be a gigantic hypocrite about the issue. And the curry line is beyond embarrassing.

Any response to my comparison of the curry line and a watermelon/chitlin comment? That type of reference done in a stereotypical black butler 1930s type voice would be perfectly fine in your eyes too at the end of a song by Mike?

He/she also never answered why he would constantly slag off Brian and his newer music while saying, "we should be happy the guys are still around making music!"

Sure is odd.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: November 28, 2017, 12:54:40 PM »

He/she also never answered why he would constantly slag off Brian and his newer music while saying, "we should be happy the guys are still around making music!"

Sure is odd.

Kreen is a troll, just like Mike’sTheGreatest and all the other apologists unable to join in rational discourse regarding firestorms they start with their inane posts.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: November 28, 2017, 01:19:14 PM »

Sure is odd.

Kreen is a troll, just like Mike’sTheGreatest and all the other apologists unable to join in rational discourse regarding firestorms they start with their inane posts.

I agree with kreen's stance that "we should be happy the guys are still around making music!"... that's not a bad thought to have as a general statement. I just don't know how one can make the leap from wanting new music from the guys, to defending the curry comment when it's as cringeworthy as a watermelon/chitlin comment, or perhaps a mimed gay voice. I just want to hear kreen say that all of those things are okay with them if they're fine with Ram Raj as is. Own it. Not sure how there's any wiggle room on this, but I welcome any defenders to try to explain why it's defensible.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: November 28, 2017, 01:20:15 PM »

Mike’s beard move to Canada? Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: November 28, 2017, 01:38:11 PM »

Sure is odd.

I agree with kreen's stance that "we should be happy the guys are still around making music!"... that's not a bad thought to have as a general statement. I just don't know how one can make the leap from wanting new music from the guys, to defending the curry comment when it's as cringeworthy as a watermelon/chitlin comment, or perhaps a mimed gay voice. I just want to hear kreen say that all of those things are okay with them if they're fine with Ram Raj as is. Own it. Not sure how there's any wiggle room on this, but I welcome any defenders to try to explain why it's defensible.

Yeah, I agree with his stance on Mike and the guys, which is why I tried to be more positive than usual when reviewing Mike’s album. Just wish there was more consistensy on Kreen’s part when it comes to Brian. Try another board and I’m sure the usual players will be glad to defend this crap.

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: November 28, 2017, 05:19:55 PM »

Do Jeff’s vocals at the end of the “Daybreak” choruses remind anyone else of Jimmy Jones’s “Handyman”?

https://youtu.be/ljmFZ6b0g5w?t=1m44s
https://youtu.be/uVyBRdBVCiU?t=45s

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: November 28, 2017, 05:23:31 PM »

Do Jeff’s vocals at the end of the “Daybreak” choruses remind anyone else of Jimmy Jones’s “Handyman”?

YES!!! You stole my thunder  LOL I was saving that for my UTL review, that was all I had...

Seriously, my mind goes right to, "here is the main thing..."

I've heard James Taylor's version a lot.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 05:28:30 PM by B.E. » Logged

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: November 28, 2017, 05:23:56 PM »

Mike just tweeted it is on the charts.  37 on the independent chart.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: November 28, 2017, 05:28:49 PM »

YES!!! You stole my thunder  LOL I was saving that for my UTL review, that was all I had...

Sorry, B.E.  LOL

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: November 28, 2017, 05:39:29 PM »

So it is. Billboard has made no effort on the cover though.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/independent-albums
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: November 28, 2017, 05:40:34 PM »

It's also #2 on the Heatseekers album chart.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 06:15:41 PM by B.E. » Logged

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: November 28, 2017, 06:27:09 PM »

They just went with a classic picture of Mike and Dean.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #871 on: November 28, 2017, 10:24:05 PM »

So has anyone here actually bought the album and listened to it yet?  What do you think of it? 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: November 28, 2017, 11:04:01 PM »

So has anyone here actually bought the album and listened to it yet?  What do you think of it? 
I've been listening to tracks on youtube; when I make it up to Seattle in the next couple weeks, I will see if one of the 2 remaining new music shops has it. Then I will sit down and give it a serious listen. But listening on youtube, I have liked what I have heard so far, especially Ambha singing "Warmth of the Sun".
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: November 29, 2017, 06:24:58 AM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25517.msg623668.html#msg623668

That is where many of the reviews and discussion of the album starts.

And contrary to another ridiculous thread started by “BubbaFide” where he says people on this board are calling Mike “Satan incarnate” and have a ton of side-banter in our reviews, the reviews are pretty honest and fair...and the evidence is all in the link above.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: November 29, 2017, 06:26:39 AM »

I bought a physical copy.

And I've been meaning to say, when looking through the liner notes there is a quite a bit of guitar playing credit for one Laurence Juber, former guitarist of Wings, most notably for their hit single "Goodnight Tonight" and the album Back to the Egg.

I'm surprised Mike hasn't been harping upon how awesome it is that he and Sir Paul have used the same guitarist.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx