gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 11:43:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love - Unleash the Love - Due November 17 - w/ 2nd Disc of BB Remakes  (Read 223776 times)
The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: November 17, 2017, 09:49:22 PM »

The autotune is especially baffling because on the songs where there is less of it, Mike's voice doesn't sounds too bad. There's a note at the end of 'I Don't Wanna Know' that he hits that sounded pretty good, and I couldn't detect much autotune or anything on it. If he can still hit notes like that, why was so much used on this album? Overall though, the strength of some of the songs surprised me, and there are some that I could definitely see myself listening to again. Listening to how good some of these songs are makes me wish they would've taken a more democratic or Sunflower-esque approach to TWGMTR. Take some of the best off this album, the best off the released album, and a song from Al and Bruce each and C50 might've lasted a lot longer. I feel the album would be better as well, with these songs benefiting from Joe Thomas/Brian Wilson production. Just a thought.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: November 17, 2017, 10:06:07 PM »

I want to hear what Brian and Al have to say about the album.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: November 17, 2017, 10:50:38 PM »

It's interesting but perhaps unsurprising that the amazon reviews are either 5 stars or one. With how horrible the autotune is on some tracks you'd have to be pretty one-eyed to give it a five, and I suspect some personal bias against Mike in a few of the one-star reviews (the insulting of Ambha in one such example being particularly unnecessary).

I'm listening to a few of the remakes on youtube before my CD arrives and it's definitely Bruce on California Girls, which is a plus. The chorus and coda sound pretty good but the verses are beyond diabolical.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: November 18, 2017, 01:08:14 AM »

I want to hear what Brian and Al have to say about the album.

http://s.newsweek.com/sites/www.newsweek.com/files/styles/embed-lg/public/2012/05/27/1338301061994.cached.jpg
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: November 18, 2017, 04:21:08 AM »

Scathing review that someone posted....but sadly, I would agree. No need to trash his daughter Ambha.....she was ok...I'm not loving her voice, and she clearly needs some formal training, but she was pleasant enough. Frankly, I preferred listening to her than to Love!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: November 18, 2017, 04:32:16 AM »

One other note...I remember being at a 1983 Beach Boys concert in April of that year at the old Meadowlands in New Jersey, when the Beach Boys still played and filled arenas. They broke into Looking at Tomorrow, and did a great job on it....I believe one of the condiions of Carl coming back into the band was more practice, and the addition of different songs from the cannon into the set lists, with new arrangements. Clearly this was one. What struck me most about this show, it was the last time I saw Dennis Wilson perform....he was in attendance, performed solo YASB at the end barely being able to speak much less sing...he was in bad shape. The next day in the papers the review of the show said "Joe Cocker showed up and sang YASB"...that's how bad he sounded.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #631 on: November 18, 2017, 06:11:56 AM »

This amazon review reminds me a little of an old poster on here -  LOL - https://www.amazon.com/gp/profile/amzn1.account.AF5PMLNG443THPXSN2IAW4QMWFWA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdp?ie=UTF8

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 18, 2017, 06:26:40 AM »

“Familiar” for “sure”....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 18, 2017, 06:31:39 AM »

This amazon review reminds me a little of an old poster on here -  LOL - https://www.amazon.com/gp/profile/amzn1.account.AF5PMLNG443THPXSN2IAW4QMWFWA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdp?ie=UTF8

Totally “agree”. Even the quotations aside, the blind adulation to the point where you’re saying the covers maintain “the essence of The Beach Boys sound” makes it obvious who is writing this. Point me in the direction of any Beach Boys release that made the lead singer sound like Jed Clampett being voiced through Megatron and then I’ll believe this “essence” line.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #634 on: November 18, 2017, 07:01:21 AM »

Totally “agree”. Even the quotations aside, the blind adulation to the point where you’re saying the covers maintain “the essence of The Beach Boys sound” makes it obvious who is writing this. Point me in the direction of any Beach Boys release that made the lead singer sound like Jed Clampett being voiced through Megatron and then I’ll believe this “essence” line.

Beer  Happy Friday! I mean...Happy Saturday! The "essence" of the "Beach Boys Sound" is "purely subjective", however logic would dictate the "frontman" of any "band" would be the one most logically "carrying the torch" and "rolling up his sleeves" to do the "heavy lifting" to maintain the "essence" of the "sound" for fans young and old, such is the heavy burden of being the official "torch bearer" and "face" of the Beach Boys for decades around the world. I'm sure I'm not alone in confessing I sat listening in rapt attention with the lights dimmed low on a chilly November night listening to the sheer beauty of the heartwarming tribute to an old friend and dearly departed fellow "music traveler" in the form of "Pisces Brothers" filling the room, and then dancing around the same room as the pure "fun fun fun" of "I Get Around" and "Help Me Rhonda" in the form of brand new and very refreshing "updates" of those classics came "bursting through" the speakers.

For pure "Fun Fun Fun" this album cannot be topped. A hearty "five stars" out of five review from this dedicated fan. Kudos to Mr. Love, Mr. Foskett, and all involved in bringing all the "fun in the sun" to us mere mortal fans for so many years!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 18, 2017, 07:56:09 AM »

One of those times I'm grateful not to be drinking beverage. Thanks for the laff ...

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #636 on: November 18, 2017, 10:04:26 AM »

Maybe herbal essence. And that last sentence has to be one if the funniest things I've ever read on the board

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 18, 2017, 10:12:10 AM »

“Correct” righteous bald dude!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 18, 2017, 12:59:52 PM »

What stores are selling it??
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 18, 2017, 01:07:27 PM »

AGD’s front yard....

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 18, 2017, 01:14:06 PM »

LOL

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 18, 2017, 01:21:44 PM »

What stores are selling it??

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/unleash-the-love/31840115?ean=0190296941245&st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Core+Shopping+Media_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP973&k_clickid=3x973&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz7_95IbJ1wIVkONkCh2pfwhLEAQYASABEgJRcfD_BwE

Barnes and Noble starting December 15
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #642 on: November 18, 2017, 03:25:17 PM »

AGD’s front yard....

He has a yard?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 18, 2017, 03:35:17 PM »

Its proverbial for the folding table outside a gas station....

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 18, 2017, 04:25:16 PM »

It's bloody awful. People who enjoy this shite are optimistic to a fault or just insane. The sooner this man gives up on music the better imo.

Also did Mike Love drag Carl Wilsons legacy through the dirt by having his vocals hijacket from Brian's Back? Brian's Back was never much of a tune, but reusing his vocal like that borders on unethical in its poor taste.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 04:29:50 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: November 18, 2017, 09:42:21 PM »

Maybe herbal essence. And that last sentence has to be one if the funniest things I've ever read on the board

+1, spit take worthy
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 18, 2017, 11:15:56 PM »

Just wondering if "Blew It Again" might have been a better title for this collection, rather than Unleash the Love, which you all agree doesn't suit Mike Love?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 18, 2017, 11:40:02 PM »

One other note...I remember being at a 1983 Beach Boys concert in April of that year at the old Meadowlands in New Jersey, when the Beach Boys still played and filled arenas. They broke into Looking at Tomorrow, and did a great job on it....I believe one of the condiions of Carl coming back into the band was more practice, and the addition of different songs from the cannon into the set lists, with new arrangements. Clearly this was one. What struck me most about this show, it was the last time I saw Dennis Wilson perform....he was in attendance, performed solo YASB at the end barely being able to speak much less sing...he was in bad shape. The next day in the papers the review of the show said "Joe Cocker showed up and sang YASB"...that's how bad he sounded.
Those were good times, other than Dennis deteriorating before our eyes. Carl was back, and the guys actually appeared to be enjoying playing again. Never got to hear them play Looking at Tomorrow, but I was impressed that they had worked a couple songs from Youngblood into the show, along with somewhat lesser known songs like You're So Good to Me and Warmth of the Sun.
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 19, 2017, 04:25:55 AM »

It's bloody awful. People who enjoy this shite are optimistic to a fault or just insane. The sooner this man gives up on music the better imo.

Also did Mike Love drag Carl Wilsons legacy through the dirt by having his vocals hijacket from Brian's Back? Brian's Back was never much of a tune, but reusing his vocal like that borders on unethical in its poor taste.

The 70s brians back is a really fine tune..due in part to Carl's gorgeous vocal.   But to have it now when hes been gone for about to be 20 years is creepy. Really creepy. And enough of the video of carl at the Mike shows. They did it over the 50th and that was perfect, that should have been it. Now it's to the point where it's weird. Really weird.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 19, 2017, 07:12:07 AM »

Seems that Amazon changed reviewing to “verified purchasers only” - shame, listened to it on Apple Music and I was going to even out the reviews with a three star rating and my honest opinion of the album.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 41 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx