gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:51:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love - Unleash the Love - Due November 17 - w/ 2nd Disc of BB Remakes  (Read 223694 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: November 17, 2017, 09:24:35 AM »

All of the love in Jurassic Park! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #551 on: November 17, 2017, 09:29:03 AM »

A beer or two? I'd say a 4 finger glass of smooth whiskey...and put the bottle on the bar.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 17, 2017, 09:30:01 AM »

Does the CD’s physical release come with a case of Pacifico beer?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #553 on: November 17, 2017, 09:31:02 AM »

Does the CD’s physical release come with a case of Pacifico beer?

I was hoping for at least a coupon to get a free can of Bud Light Lime at Club Kokomo.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 17, 2017, 09:32:15 AM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eY_2apR9FU0

To anyone brave enough to listen to the Help Me Rhonda cover, here it is. It’s bad. Really bad.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: November 17, 2017, 09:34:16 AM »

Al Jardine don’t need no autotune! Shocked

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 17, 2017, 09:35:34 AM »

The customer reviews on Amazon are already looking to be brutal. Not good publicity for people casually interested in the BBs.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #557 on: November 17, 2017, 09:35:41 AM »

To anyone brave enough to listen to the Help Me Rhonda cover, here it is. It’s bad. Really bad.

I'm brave. Sounds like Lloyd caused at least three Autotune rack units to catch fire and melt down during the making of that track.

Again the question is "why".

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #558 on: November 17, 2017, 09:39:41 AM »

Oh my god... It's not like the "new" songs are bad, but the vocals... What happened to that Mike who wants to give a new take in the KTSA sessions video when some one syllable wasn't good enough? These songs sound like Mike woke up in a huge hangover and did the whole album on one take. Then some random dude threw the autotune on everything and pumped it to 110.

This has propably been discussed already, but why the hell there isn't a Kokomo remake on the second disc!?

Ironically, this "article" (I use that term loosely) suggests "Kokomo" is on the album, which I'm going to assume means the "author" didn't actually listen to the album:

https://parade.com/620133/stephaniestephens/the-beach-boys-mike-love-cmon-world-and-unleash-the-love/

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: November 17, 2017, 09:42:22 AM »

OK, so in the video queue "California Girls" started autoplaying after Rhonda. The amount of autotuning in use is seriously off the charts to the point of being ridiculous. I won't even go where some might think I'm going here, but focusing solely on the sound of these tracks...it's unbelievable that anyone would hear these final mixes and think they were worthy of release.

Keeping in mind the nature of Autotune and other programs for correcting pitch...the way T-Pain and Kanye get the robot effect deliberately is to sing off-key on purpose so the effect overworks itself and sounds like the original "Cher voice" from all those years ago. These programs can correct pitch transparently, like a compressor can do its thing and not be audible unless you want an audible effect on the track.

But long and short of it, the more out of tune a vocal is, the harder the pitch correction will work  in processing it, and the more audible and obvious it will be to the listeners.

This truly is a baffling decision to release remakes of what are among the best pop songs of all time with vocals that sound this way.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 17, 2017, 09:47:28 AM »

I'm brave. Sounds like Lloyd caused at least three Autotune rack units to catch fire and melt down during the making of that track.

Again the question is "why".

LOL

Crazy thing is the whole time I’m listening to this album I thought Mike was the sole producer...because it sounds like something he would produce. I forgot there’s supposedly a Grammy award winning producer with his name on this. “Why” is right. Makes me wonder if Michael Lloyd has some serious vendetta against Mike for whatever reason, and agreed to “produce” this album with the sole intention of tanking Mike Love’s career. I just can’t imagine a Grammy award winning producer being happy to release this as it is. The whole point of “producing” is to help the artist make a cohesive statement to the world, and make it sound great so the world wants to listen to it.

Ditch the autotune, make the covers acoustic (or just do anything different with them) and then you’d have an okay album.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #561 on: November 17, 2017, 09:47:39 AM »

And the mixes themselves, from what I'm hearing so far, to be blunt have no balls at all. If there is any positive in this, it could be an opportunity to go back to the original 60's mixes and consider how amazing the work done by Brian and Chuck Britz using primitive 4-track and 8-track formats with tons of bounces and sub-mixes and live punch-ins and the whole lot of it really was, and how *great* the originals really do sound even 50+ years later.

All the advanced technology available to anyone with a Mac and an audio interface in 2017...and these remakes with the limp mixes are what we get from a pro studio?

(...face plant...)  Wall

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #562 on: November 17, 2017, 09:51:15 AM »

Has anyone gone back, *after* listening to the new album, and tried the 90s stuff with Adrian Baker again? I'm thinking the "Salutes NASCAR" album might actually be easier on the ears than "Unleash the Love."

The "Looking Back with Love" album from 1981 sounds like a warm, organic festival of sound in comparison at this point.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 17, 2017, 09:54:42 AM »

Guitarfool, if you really want an autotune doozy, check out I Get Around.

And yeah, I was gonna mention that I’ve gotten better sounding autotune experimenting on my Mac with Logic. I can’t fathom what they had to screw up to make his voice sound this bad.

As for instrumental production, the only song that wow-ed me regarding that was ‘Wild Honey’ - sounds completely different from the production on the rest of the album. I think it’s mostly because they added some reverb to the tracks.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #564 on: November 17, 2017, 09:54:58 AM »

The audio mix of Mike's "Q&A" with Wink Martindale sounds more ballsy than these remakes.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 17, 2017, 09:57:53 AM »

Has anyone gone back, *after* listening to the new album, and tried the 90s stuff with Adrian Baker again? I'm thinking the "Salutes NASCAR" album might actually be easier on the ears than "Unleash the Love."

The "Looking Back with Love" album from 1981 sounds like a warm, organic festival of sound in comparison at this point.

It’s funny, because when I heard the version of ‘Pisces’s Brothers’ on this album I kinda had this same thought in mind: “the lead vocal sounds pretty good...actually that’s probably because the lead vocals on the previous songs sounded so bad”

It’s funny how good something can sound (no matter how bad it is) when you compare it to something really bad.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #566 on: November 17, 2017, 09:59:33 AM »

The audio mix of Mike's "Q&A" with Wink Martindale sounds more ballsy than these remakes.

So does this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RryIroTqs-k

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 17, 2017, 10:01:58 AM »

I had to listen to the “SMiLE sessions” while driving to work to keep my sanity....

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 17, 2017, 10:02:02 AM »

I made it through bits and pieces on Spotify.

There are a few of the "new" tunes that have their moments, and I've always been a fan of Cool Head, Warm Heart.

Other than that, the Autotune is the WORST thing I've ever heard by the band. Absolutely terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible. Did I mention terrible? I Get Around is simply atrocious. Yeah, I'm not a fan of most remakes, including for instance the remakes that Brian did on Imagination (although the remakes on Brian's Christmas album were surprisingly good). But these are SO, SO much worse.

Why is Ambha caked in Autotune? She shouldn't have an overused and overtoured voice like her pops. No excuse. Honestly I cannot fathom how this got released.

Probably will be the 1st actual BB release that I don't listen to all the way through.

As mentioned previously, this makes the Looking Back With Love album look SUPER GREAT by comparison. Mike was visibly embarrassed about the mere mention of Looking Back With Love when Brian mentioned it on TV in 1989. How can the same guy think that this is not an utter embarrassment?  
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #569 on: November 17, 2017, 10:02:31 AM »

Guitarfool, if you really want an autotune doozy, check out I Get Around.

And yeah, I was gonna mention that I’ve gotten better sounding autotune experimenting on my Mac with Logic. I can’t fathom what they had to screw up to make his voice sound this bad.

As for instrumental production, the only song that wow-ed me regarding that was ‘Wild Honey’ - sounds completely different from the production on the rest of the album. I think it’s mostly because they added some reverb to the tracks.

Just listened to IGA. In all fairness to Mike, I cannot understand why something like this was allowed to be released. Mike's lead vocal minus the Autotune even, it just isn't there. It sounds like he's running out of breath after each phrase. I can't imagine the amount of editing and punch-ins which were done on something like this...and it still sounds this way! Unreal.

And the backing vocals - What the hell happened to the concept of a vocal blend? It sounds like you can hear multiple individual parts being stacked rather than that full blend where they all come together and create that mysterious and beautiful swirling and sweeping blend effect. I mean...that's THE SOUND of the Beach Boys, and we get this instead?

Instrumentally...again, IGA just has no balls to the overall sound of the mix. It sounds like someone doing a tribute cover on YouTube using Garage Band...and some of the tributes recorded and done by members of this board have more punch and more balls to the mixes than this...and they're not running a pro studio setup! Holy cow.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #570 on: November 17, 2017, 10:06:47 AM »

Even this is a pallet cleanser (even with Mike miming the "gun shot" gesture on the "assassinations" line):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tRmBD1UnrA

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 17, 2017, 10:10:26 AM »

Least we are “honest” unlike Filleplage would be right now....

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 17, 2017, 10:13:18 AM »

Guitarfool, in regards to vocal blend, I think the only song that comes close to a good vocal blend is ‘Brian’s Back’, and that is overshadowed by the question “why the hell is this even on the album?”

HeyJude, LOL, you’re so right that even Lookin Back With Love is far better than the album that dropped today. Again, it’s just insane to me that 5 years ago this guy was helping make TWGMTR, a critically acclaimed album that hit billboard #3. And now he’s happy releasing this.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 17, 2017, 10:18:09 AM »

“Happy Friday”   Beer

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 17, 2017, 10:18:12 AM »

Guitarfool, in regards to vocal blend, I think the only song that comes close to a good vocal blend is ‘Brian’s Back’, and that is overshadowed by the question “why the hell is this even on the album?”

HeyJude, LOL, you’re so right that even Lookin Back With Love is far better than the album that dropped today. Again, it’s just insane to me that 5 years ago this guy was helping make TWGMTR, a critically acclaimed album that hit billboard #3. And now he’s happy releasing this.

With the dove being unleashed as the album cover too, no less. If someone wanted to jokingly dream up the most laughable album that Mike could have made, it would approximate this release.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 41 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx