gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 05:18:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love - Unleash the Love - Due November 17 - w/ 2nd Disc of BB Remakes  (Read 223711 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: April 09, 2018, 01:51:43 PM »

PSA: The vinyl edition is now less than $13 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07667WK1G/

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: April 10, 2018, 11:16:04 PM »

PSA: The vinyl edition is now less than $13 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07667WK1G/
I got the cd for $8 yesterday at Silver Platters in Seattle.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: April 11, 2018, 12:28:08 AM »

Their website said that is the used price. I guess ‘played once’ is close enough to new.  LOL
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:28:42 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: October 24, 2018, 03:16:56 PM »

In the modern day equivalent of the LP cut-out bin, Amazon is now selling the Unleash the Love 2 disc vinyl album for $5.06 with free Prime shipping. Adjusting back for inflation, that's like selling a double album for 70 cents 50 years ago in 1968.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: October 24, 2018, 11:30:21 PM »

In the modern day equivalent of the LP cut-out bin, Amazon is now selling the Unleash the Love 2 disc vinyl album for $5.06 with free Prime shipping. Adjusting back for inflation, that's like selling a double album for 70 cents 50 years ago in 1968.

Wow, maybe I should go ahead and get it! Although the second disc won't get much play around here.
But my most desired piece of BB-related vinyl would be...no, not Summer in Paradise....
Orange Crate Art.
Well, I guess I can dream.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: October 25, 2018, 08:04:12 AM »

"Unleash The Love" ...while openly supporting a man whose flammable rhetoric have now manifested itself in attempted assassinations of his critics and opponents.

I suppose the album title always was more of a casual pun on words as opposed to any actual values of love held or professed by Mr Love.
One may be forgiven for placing deeper meaning than that which was intended.

Good luck, my American friends.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: October 25, 2018, 10:59:42 AM »

"Unleash The Love" ...while openly supporting a man whose flammable rhetoric have now manifested itself in attempted assassinations of his critics and opponents.

I suppose the album title always was more of a casual pun on words as opposed to any actual values of love held or professed by Mr Love.

Truth. History will be no more on Mike's side than Trump's.

The fact that Mike has gone out of his way to be overtly political, posing with Trump, and hanging out whenever possible repeatedly "buddying-up" with Trump unfortunately makes this an "on topic" subject when discussing the band. The optics have been burned into the public's minds over and over again. Let's not forget that Mike Love trended on Twitter just recently, which is quite a feat for a guy who has been anything but Mr. Popularity within his own industry.  He trended because he tied in himself (and unfortunately the brand) with Trump. Anything for free publicity I guess.

(Side note: while I despise Trump, I cannot find fault with Trump's particular action of signing that music bill into law, although it still seems shocking that he'd do an action for any reason other than self-serving purposes).

But Mike continually going out of his way in a seemingly star-struck manner to visually remind the public of his (Mike's) support of Trump will have an impact on this band; many people will continue to lump in the whole band (Mike, after all, "is" The Beach Boys, right?) with support of Trump's policies, anti-LGBT agenda, etc. Mike can't just say that he "doesn't support all of Trump's policies" and expect this to be a get-out-of-jail-free card, "allowing" him to repeatedly support and align himself with someone who promotes hate.

Mike should be asked by reporters in all his future interviews "what do you say to LGBT Beach Boys fans who question your repeated support and posing with a president who is stripping them of all sorts of rights?" This should be something Mike should consider,  but he's seemingly too far in a bubble in the Naked Room on his tour to even think about this stuff. It doesn't friggin' matter to him. The LGBT community must not be lining Mike's pockets enough for him to care. That's a fact. If he thought it'd truly hurt his bottom line, he would not be posing with Trump repeatedly.

There will be a sizeable amount of people who will never want anything to do with Mike Love or the band due to this. Maybe not enough to hurt his tour numbers of fans wanting to see a band named The Beach Boys regardless of who's in it... but it just cements many people who miiiiiiiight have been willing to turn the corner and appreciate Mike's genuine talent for his work on, say, Wild Honey as revealed on Sunshine Tomorrow, but will now just dismiss him entirely for all times. It's just ironic to the max for a guy who doubly ironically is named Love and triply ironically is unleashing the bird of peace on his album cover.

I wish this was off topic, but it sadly isn't.

That is some chutzpah of Mike having a US flag with a peace symbol on his album cover. Peace and Love goes reeeal nice with Anti-LGBT rights. Mike's album cover is like the prequel to Mel Brooks' High Anxiety.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 11:42:56 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1007 on: October 25, 2018, 12:47:33 PM »

Seems to me that I was paying $2.99 for a NEW mono LP and $3.99 for a NEW stereo LP back in 1968.  I would also head up to the 3rd floor at Sam the Record Man in downtown Toronto/Yonge Street where I could buy an assortment of album choices for either a buck...for 50 cents...or for a quarter...ie: 25 cents.  Love's little bit of poop would have been in the quarter bin right next door to the expansive and open space they're setting aside for his xmas album.  Back then the "naked room" was the shower.  [and he still had a little sample of noggin hair.]  One thing hasn't changed though.  He's still a 'dick'.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: October 25, 2018, 03:09:48 PM »

The board would be better served if political agendas were left out, in my opinion.  Unleash the Love is a bad enough idea, without dragging politics into the mix.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: October 27, 2018, 12:07:28 AM »

Truth. History will be no more on Mike's side than Trump's.

The fact that Mike has gone out of his way to be overtly political, posing with Trump, and hanging out whenever possible repeatedly "buddying-up" with Trump unfortunately makes this an "on topic" subject when discussing the band. The optics have been burned into the public's minds over and over again. Let's not forget that Mike Love trended on Twitter just recently, which is quite a feat for a guy who has been anything but Mr. Popularity within his own industry.  He trended because he tied in himself (and unfortunately the brand) with Trump. Anything for free publicity I guess.

(Side note: while I despise Trump, I cannot find fault with Trump's particular action of signing that music bill into law, although it still seems shocking that he'd do an action for any reason other than self-serving purposes).

But Mike continually going out of his way in a seemingly star-struck manner to visually remind the public of his (Mike's) support of Trump will have an impact on this band; many people will continue to lump in the whole band (Mike, after all, "is" The Beach Boys, right?) with support of Trump's policies, anti-LGBT agenda, etc. Mike can't just say that he "doesn't support all of Trump's policies" and expect this to be a get-out-of-jail-free card, "allowing" him to repeatedly support and align himself with someone who promotes hate.

Mike should be asked by reporters in all his future interviews "what do you say to LGBT Beach Boys fans who question your repeated support and posing with a president who is stripping them of all sorts of rights?" This should be something Mike should consider,  but he's seemingly too far in a bubble in the Naked Room on his tour to even think about this stuff. It doesn't friggin' matter to him. The LGBT community must not be lining Mike's pockets enough for him to care. That's a fact. If he thought it'd truly hurt his bottom line, he would not be posing with Trump repeatedly.

There will be a sizeable amount of people who will never want anything to do with Mike Love or the band due to this. Maybe not enough to hurt his tour numbers of fans wanting to see a band named The Beach Boys regardless of who's in it... but it just cements many people who miiiiiiiight have been willing to turn the corner and appreciate Mike's genuine talent for his work on, say, Wild Honey as revealed on Sunshine Tomorrow, but will now just dismiss him entirely for all times. It's just ironic to the max for a guy who doubly ironically is named Love and triply ironically is unleashing the bird of peace on his album cover.

I wish this was off topic, but it sadly isn't.

That is some chutzpah of Mike having a US flag with a peace symbol on his album cover. Peace and Love goes reeeal nice with Anti-LGBT rights. Mike's album cover is like the prequel to Mel Brooks' High Anxiety.

Well, you know, it's quite possible that LGBTQ rights isn't the #1 on Mike's radar. There are many, many other issues in the forefront right now. And let's not forget how Mike tried to buddy up with Ronald Reagan when he was in office. This, despite Mike's oft stated concern for environmental issues. Maybe, just maybe, by buddying up with these guys, Mike hopes to have the opportunity to discuss some of the issues he cares about with them. Or maybe not. I don't claim to be able to read Mike's mind.

Now please, somebody please go get me a hamburger. Then we'll have world peace.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx