gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:04:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love - Unleash the Love - Due November 17 - w/ 2nd Disc of BB Remakes  (Read 225767 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2017, 11:06:03 AM »

I hate to be so fixated on the logo thing, but does anybody here think there wouldn't have been bloody murder being screamed if, say, Al had stuck a big sticker on his "Live in Las Vegas" album in 2001 with the Dean Torrence-designed ubiquitous "Beach Boys" logo?

It's really quite simple. I have zero doubt that the reason Mike feels legitimized by doing so (and not letting anyone else do so) is that he thinks HE is the Beach Boys, that he deserves different treatment than everyone else, and that it's only ok for him to do this.

From Mikes own lawsuit against The Mail on Sunday.

35. Because Mike Love has long been recognized as the face and voice of today’s Beach Boys, BRI has granted Mike Love the exclusive license to use The Beach Boys trademark to perform as The Beach Boys.

Without reading the rest of it, it would seem the trademark can only be used when his group performs as The Beach Boys, not solo recordings.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2017, 11:40:29 AM »

Enjoy the potential sequel album ideas in this story:
http://www.citypages.com/music/15-albums-mike-love-needs-to-unleash-after-unleash-the-love/449680963

I noticed the photo of the album in this article does not have the blue circle with the BB logo at the bottom of it, so I suspect the blue circle is actually a sticker.

Edit: Here's the image link:
http://stmedia.startribune.com/images/ctyp_unleashed.jpg
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 12:05:06 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2017, 11:53:37 AM »

I hate to be so fixated on the logo thing, but does anybody here think there wouldn't have been bloody murder being screamed if, say, Al had stuck a big sticker on his "Live in Las Vegas" album in 2001 with the Dean Torrence-designed ubiquitous "Beach Boys" logo?

It's really quite simple. I have zero doubt that the reason Mike feels legitimized by doing so (and not letting anyone else do so) is that he thinks HE is the Beach Boys, that he deserves different treatment than everyone else, and that it's only ok for him to do this.

From Mikes own lawsuit against The Mail on Sunday.

35. Because Mike Love has long been recognized as the face and voice of today’s Beach Boys, BRI has granted Mike Love the exclusive license to use The Beach Boys trademark to perform as The Beach Boys.

Without reading the rest of it, it would seem the trademark can only be used when his group performs as The Beach Boys, not solo recordings.

I agree with all you guys, HJ, CD, etc...I also think one of the core issues is and has been for a very long time that Mike thinks he IS The Beach Boys and wants everyone to agree with him. Most of the kerfuffles and lawsuits and all the other garbage we've seen unfold since 1997 has centered around that core issue. And I do also think that C50 which saw fans around the world cheering *the band* with original members together on stage as well as ol' Brian sitting at the piano versus Mike strutting around and in his eyes "working hard" getting bigger applause from those crowds really shook him up, disturbed his preconceptions of why fans come to these shows.

And I also share the opinion that if Al or even Brian pasted that damn logo on one of their releases, the line of cars full of lawyers, paralegals, and process servers delivering C&D orders, subpoenas, and other assorted legal filings would extend up the mountain roads of both Big Sur and Beverly Hills in a scene that would rival the ending of "Field Of Dreams" :

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2017, 12:00:45 PM »

The 2005 lawsuit was the legal version of why Mike thinks he is the BBs.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2017, 12:12:30 PM »

Enjoy the potential sequel album ideas in this story:
http://www.citypages.com/music/15-albums-mike-love-needs-to-unleash-after-unleash-the-love/449680963

I noticed the photo of the album in this article does not have the blue circle with the BB logo at the bottom of it, so I suspect the blue circle is actually a sticker.

For sure; I've been saying since the first picture that it's a sticker. It's surely meant for the same purpose as the sticker on Al's 2012 version of "Postcards" that I posted earlier in this thread. The difference is that the BB name is featured prominently, and it uses the BRI-owned actual logo.

Putting that Dean Torrence logo on a package connotes a BRI-sanctioned and Beach Boys-approved piece of merchandise in my opinion, and this Mike album has *nothing* to do with BRI or the Beach Boys on a corporate level. Mike no doubt has to pay BRI a cut of any merch at his shows featuring the BB logo/name. Will he do the same with his solo album?

I was going to say that surely some Brian CD cover stickers also have the BB name somewhere. It's a bit more of a challenge to find pics of the stickers on CD covers; so you have to seek out a bunch of old eBay auctions and the like.

His NPP album from 2015 doesn't even mention the BBs at all:

"That Lucky Old Sun" has no mention either:

"Love at the Roxy?" Nope.

The 2004 "Smile" does mention the BB name, which is appropriate considering it's a re-imagining of a BB project. And it makes it clear it's a new solo version:

The Gershwin albums mentions he's a co-founder of the BBs, but the album is obviously a solo product with no BB songs:

There are surely other examples of both scenarios, but in any event, Brian has never used the BB logo, and never used the BB logo attached to a CD of re-recordings of BB tracks. The closest he ever came to that scenario was the "Mail on Sunday" freebie CD that did have some solo BB songs with the BB name, some old pics, but no BB logo. And oh yeah, Mike sued Brian over it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2017, 12:15:52 PM »

Quick. Someone mock up an LL Cool J cover with a sticker on it that says "This album has absolutely nothing to do with...." followed by the Dean Torrence-designed BB logo.

That would be no different from what Mike's doing.

If someone is aware of an internal agreement among BRI members that they can all use the BB logo to promote their solo work, I'd be fascinated to find out. Considering Brian and Al as recently as the last few years have supposedly been harangued about even advertising that they are Beach Boys when doing their solo shows (no sign of a BB logo anywhere), I tend to doubt such a thing would be allowed.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 12:17:16 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2017, 12:29:27 PM »

Go to Rolling Stone's Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/RollingStone/

Scroll down to find their link to Mike's release, and read through the comments posted so far. If changing minds is one of the goals of all these activities and PR, Mike and his people have a steep uphill climb ahead.

But remember, all the negativity is the fault of this forum... Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
blueeyedtreefrog
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2017, 01:15:18 PM »

[/quote]

It was of course not a serious suggestion.

I'd say VDP would be more likely to accept an offer from Mike than Mike would be to accept an offer/pitch from VDP.

I'd love to see it, if for no other reason than the fact that VDP's story from the "SIP" sessions about being confronted 25 years later about the same "Cabinessence" lyrics, along with being stiffed for the cost of a private plane ride, is among my favorite hilarious BB-related stories.
[/quote]

I don't know this one, but it sounds funny. Now I am sooo curious! Could anyone explain what happened? Thank you!
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2017, 01:57:58 PM »

What store is actually going to carry this? I don't see physical copies of this existing anywhere beyond his website and Amazon.

Well, I have yet to se an actual physical copy of Sunshine Tomorrow in any record store or department yet, and I've been in quite a few.  Surprisingly so, I might add....

As for the re-records, well Brian's "Smile" (more like a faux-Smile to me) album was basically a re-record job.  No I don't care much for those, regardless of which BB does it.  But the first disk of this set appears to be a rather useful compendium of many unofficially released tracks in one spot.  Having said that, I doubt I buy it.  Just too much old stuff, previously released or not....
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2017, 02:13:43 PM »

As for the re-records, well Brian's "Smile" (more like a faux-Smile to me) album was basically a re-record job.  No I don't care much for those, regardless of which BB does it.  But the first disk of this set appears to be a rather useful compendium of many unofficially released tracks in one spot.  Having said that, I doubt I buy it.  Just too much old stuff, previously released or not....

It's pretty silly to compare Mike re-recording "California Girls" and "Help Me Rhonda" and tracks like that to Brian finishing "Smile" in 2004. Equating Mike re-recording "Fun Fun Fun" to Brian's 2004 "Smile" is pretty much troll activity as far as I'm concerned.

As if "Song for Children" and "Roll Plymouth Rock" were song titles on there to entice baby boomers at Beach Boys shows who toss the beach balls around. A number of the songs on the 2004 "Smile" had never been released.

There was actual craft and composition involved in Brian finishing "Smile." Whether you like it or not.

If we're going to start counting the first release of a song that is actually a re-recording of an old unreleased song, then BOTH discs on Mike's new album feature mostly re-recordings.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:02:09 PM by HeyJude » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2017, 02:33:51 PM »

As for the re-records, well Brian's "Smile" (more like a faux-Smile to me) album was basically a re-record job.  No I don't care much for those, regardless of which BB does it.  But the first disk of this set appears to be a rather useful compendium of many unofficially released tracks in one spot.  Having said that, I doubt I buy it.  Just too much old stuff, previously released or not....

It's pretty silly to compare Mike re-recording "California Girls" and "Help Me Rhonda" and tracks like that to Brian finishing "Smile" in 2004. Equating Mike re-recording "Fun Fun Fun" to Brian's 2004 "Smile" is pretty much troll activity as far as I'm concerned.

As if "Song for Children" and "Roll Plymouth Rock" were song titles on there to entice baby boomers at Beach Boys shows who toss the beach balls around. A number of the songs on the 2004 "Smile" had never been re-recorded.

There was actual craft and composition involved in Brian finishing "Smile." Whether you like it or not.

If we're going to start counting the first release of a song that is actually a re-recording of an old unreleased song, then BOTH discs on Mike's new album feature mostly re-recordings.

Nearly everything in his post history is troll activity. He’d probably have a better time at the Mike coddled Pet Sounds Forum.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2017, 02:46:47 PM »

Rab, that’s a five wooter! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2017, 05:07:40 PM »

Does Mike have the right to sell his CD with the logo of the Beach Boys? Is there any possibility that he'll get sued?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 05:08:06 PM by Watamushi » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2017, 05:53:37 PM »

Does Mike have the right to sell his CD with the logo of the Beach Boys? Is there any possibility that he'll get sued?

I’m really not sure if there are grounds for a lawsuit with this. But if there are, I’d venture to bet that no one in BRI, outside of Mike, is wanting to kickstart a headache of a lawsuit that will last years, take money, further deepen the divide between these guys, and ultimately not go anywhere. Mike seems to be the only guy willing to do this kind of sh*t (as he has proven) the others seem a bit more grown up about this kind of stuff.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2017, 06:06:36 PM »

Semi complete amazon page.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07667GM1W/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1507265349&sr=1-3&keywords=mike+love&refinements=p_n_date:1249114011&linkCode=sl1&tag=thesecdis-20&linkId=fc06e1399ae2e482e02a0c08094d4f41
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2017, 06:46:35 PM »

I am excited to here mikes new solo album. It's gonna be great as long as it is not auto tuned!
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2017, 07:58:29 PM »

Mike releasing this album could only be topped by Rocky Pamplin getting his book released...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2017, 09:03:40 PM »

Where is rocky? Grin

Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2017, 12:47:09 AM »

I am excited to here mikes new solo album. It's gonna be great as long as it is not auto tuned!

Life is full of crushing disappointments.  It's how you deal with them that counts.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2017, 01:33:51 AM »

The title track has already been released and it's swimming in autotune.

Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 07, 2017, 02:12:48 AM »

The title track has already been released and it's swimming in autotune.

It is voluminously vari-pitched, it has been much melodyned and tremendously T-Pained. It has also been lathered in 'life after love'
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 02:16:05 AM by Hickory Violet Part IV » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2017, 04:38:31 AM »

Life is full of disappointments, Mike Love being one of them.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2017, 06:03:02 AM »

OMGG. Beyond awful, and this has nothing to do with the history and politics of the Beach Boys, or me being a "Brianista". And what's the matter with Mike's voice? Is that the effect of some tons of autotune, or what?
Thanks for the link, however. Smiley

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:45:53 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 07, 2017, 06:17:43 AM »

I’m really not sure if there are grounds for a lawsuit with this. But if there are, I’d venture to bet that no one in BRI, outside of Mike, is wanting to kickstart a headache of a lawsuit that will last years, take money, further deepen the divide between these guys, and ultimately not go anywhere. Mike seems to be the only guy willing to do this kind of sh*t (as he has proven) the others seem a bit more grown up about this kind of stuff.
Agreed. Overall, the idea of Beach Boys logo on solo album is ridiculous, and it's kind of devalue the stuff himself as 'just an imitation of the public image of the Beach Boys'. It doesn't do justice to his own material, which probably means that he didn't put much soul this time.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2017, 06:23:29 AM »

That said, I have pretty much expectation to this album. I somehow know that it will interest me a little bit more than TWGMTR and NPP. (I know I'm in the extreme minority)

I thought 'Unleash the Love' was quite good compared to Mike's 'summer! fun!' stuff around 80's, though his vocals are in a very poor form.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:26:03 AM by Watamushi » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 41 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx