gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:57:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Caribou Ranch (1975) fanmix  (Read 20525 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 05:41:29 AM »

I also highly doubt Rollin' Up To Heaven would make any potential cut. Very little is known about the non-cover recordings made during this period. Only a handful made it on 15BO, and of those maybe 2 are actually good?

If "Barnyard Blues" was the best they could retrieve from in the vault, then I'm not crossing my fingers for some lost masterpiece Grin
Material of this period is purely of niche fan interest in any case.
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2018, 03:37:16 PM »

Sheesh people. Can't you ever get satisfied with anything? Roll Eyes
Fine. Just replace "Rollin' Up To Heaven" with "Pacific Ocean Blue" if you "don't think the Beach Boys would have released such and such". Tired of all this hating. It's just a fun mix for all to enjoy.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2018, 06:35:08 AM »

Sheesh people. Can't you ever get satisfied with anything? Roll Eyes
Fine. Just replace "Rollin' Up To Heaven" with "Pacific Ocean Blue" if you "don't think the Beach Boys would have released such and such". Tired of all this hating. It's just a fan mix for all to enjoy.

I don't see any "hating" or any problem at all with anything in this thread. You posited a fantasy/fan track lineup based on a contemporary quote from Mike about an album that I guess could have but never did materialize. To me, this invites discussion as to the plausibility of whether any given track could have ever been put on a BB album. Even given the shaky quality of some BB albums from the late era, I don't think "Rollin' Up to Heaven" in its currently available iteration (or any other potential iteration that can be envisioned) would have ever made it onto a BB album, either the one Mike describes in that interview or any other. There's nothing wrong with discussing the quality of the songs on your tracklisting or the plausibility of such a lineup or any given individual song actually seeing a release back then.

Nobody's saying fan mixes and fantasy album tracklistings and all of that shouldn't be made. It's all good. But it's all worth discussing and picking apart as well. That's what the board is for.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2018, 08:48:27 AM »

the other night based on this discussion I went back and gave rolling...heaven some fresh listens and I get a bit of a kick out of it.  It is NOT BAD, trite if fun brian Wilson style, and great album filler material as may be needed IMO
JCarson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2018, 06:47:13 AM »

Thanks for the collection shangaijoe - I've really enjoyed it: a nice album - mellow and quirky in the best BB tradition. Don't be discouraged...

Also that SMiLE A.D. mono mix of "Rollin' Up to Heaven" smokes! - thank you seltaeb!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2018, 03:39:43 AM »

I love that version of Good Timin. Sounds like something from the Sunflower era. I guess I must have never actually heard the 74 era recording of it. Always found the LA version a bit bland.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 03:41:12 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2018, 08:48:25 AM »

Hello all!

Sorry for my outburst last time I was here; I was going through a rough patch personally but now it's a-ok.

This is my revised 1975 LP mix (now called "California Feeling") and with a bonus imaginary LP from 1974 that would have been the last from the Rieley era (and one last LP with Blondie & Ricky). Enjoy!  

SWEET MOUNTAIN (1974) (38:30)
https://youtu.be/xVB0w8EGxm8
*Please note that this mix requires a stretch of imagination (many tracks without BB lead vocals). It is done in a similar mood to the So Tough/Holland-era and is more a fun compilation of outtakes like The Who's Odds & Sods or Led Zeppelin's Coda.

1. TM (Composer: Charles Lloyd)
2. HARD TIMES (Composer: Blondie Chaplin/Ricky Fataar)
3. OUT IN THE COUNTRY (Composer: Al Jardine/Brian Wilson/Don Goldberg)
4. SWEET AND BITTER (Composer: Mike Love/Don Goldberg)
5. CARRY ME HOME (Composer: Dennis Wilson)

6. WE GOT LOVE (Composer: Blondie Chaplin/Ricky Fataar/Mike Love)
7. AWAKE  (Composer: Brian Wilson/David Sandler)
8. ECOLOGY (Composer: Dennis Wilson)
9. IT'S A NEW DAY (Composer: Dennis Wilson, Daryl Dragon, & Stanley Shapiro)
10. SWEET MOUNTAIN (Composer: Brian Wilson/David Sandler)

**Thanks to Scott G for his great mixes!

CALIFORNIA FEELING (1975) (36:00)
https://youtu.be/NNdE6_Bc6O4

NEW STUFF:

- Switched "Rollin' Up To Heaven" with "Pacific Ocean Blue" remix (with 1975 backing track). RUTH is now the bonus hidden track at the end of the LP, courtesy of seltaeb1012002's great remix of the track.

- Changed California Feelin' mix by keeping the MIC box mix with the Carl-sung bootleg intro. Now with less snippets of the Brian '74 demo.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 08:49:12 AM by shangaijoeBB » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2018, 09:42:24 AM »

Great stuff, thanks!
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2018, 10:16:47 AM »

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 04:53:02 PM by Fro-Yo Showboat » Logged
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2018, 09:40:21 AM »

Hi Guys! Sorry to rebump my old thread, but I remade my imaginary 1975 LP mix with brand-new spanking remixes. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/labriel-olvrette/1975-california-feeling

The lineup goes like this:

Side A: Good Timing (Remix)/The River Song (Remix)/Shortening Bread (Soniclovenoize Remix)/Back Home (MIC mix)/Barnyard Blues (MIC mix)/Pacific Ocean Blues (Remix - In my mind, Mike would have the taken the lead on this)

Side B: It's OK (MIC mix)/Rainbows (Alternate mix - Carl would have sung this one)/Had To Phone Ya (Remix based on Scott G's version)/My Love Lives On (MIX mix)/California Feeling (Remix)/Holy Man (Would have loved to hear a full-on Carl lead on this…we'll do with the Taylor Hawkins version)
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2018, 12:23:22 PM »

I wonder when they will stick Sweet and Bitter on a comp, it used to be available on You Tube, but was taken down.  It's a pretty good song.
MsBecca
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2018, 11:27:32 AM »

I wonder when they will stick Sweet and Bitter on a comp, it used to be available on You Tube, but was taken down.  It's a pretty good song.

What is that? Any information to share on that song?
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2018, 12:34:25 PM »

It's a song that was recorded after Sunflower with Mike as the lead.  Mike wrote it with Don Goldberg.  It's about the highs and lows of a relationship with a woman, good lyrics and background vocals.
MsBecca
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2018, 12:54:08 PM »

Sounds interesting
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2018, 10:19:11 PM »

Sounds interesting
You can listen to it in shanghaijoe’s Sweet Mountain alternate album on YouTube, posted above.

BTW, regarding said Sweet Mountain album, “Awake” is credited solely to Floyd Tucker. Who this guy even was is still kinda up in the air, but the song definitely isn’t credited to Brian and David.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 11:26:32 PM by jiggy22 » Logged

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2018, 07:18:40 AM »

Sounds interesting
You can listen to it in shanghaijoe’s Sweet Mountain alternate album on YouTube, posted above.

BTW, regarding said Sweet Mountain album, “Awake” is credited solely to Floyd Tucker. Who this guy even was is still kinda up in the air, but the song definitely isn’t credited to Brian and David.
[/quote
Yes, I started a thread on Floyd Tucker here years ago. Hardly gave any info at all.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2018, 08:18:38 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:05:28 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
MsBecca
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2018, 11:58:49 AM »

Sounds interesting

Thank you very much it is appreciated
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2018, 09:27:49 AM »

I appreciate your shedding light on this period (the major events of it being Caribou Ranch, 'Beachago' and California Music) of the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson.

PM'd you saying I'd be extremely appreciative of a FLAC version of your Caribou Ranch mixes Good Timin' and California Feelin', or all of them, if it ain't too much trouble  Smiley

Many thanks.

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2018, 11:06:13 AM »

Yeah, I think we just established that there is a guy who exists called Floyd Tucker in LA around the right age to have probably written it. Also, Sweet and Bitter is just copyrighted to Don Goldberg, and likewise Out in the Country is copyrighted to Brian Wilson and Don Goldberg. Mike and Al weren't writers on those songs.

"Out in the Country" is credited to Brian and Goldberg? I thought Brian had nothing to do with that one. When was it recorded anyways?
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2018, 03:36:25 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:05:21 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2018, 03:11:46 PM »

If anyone is by some chance in possession of a FLAC copy of this good chap's mix of Good Timin', please coud you PM it to me? I desperately want to listen to a high quality copy of it, not use it for any other purposes, of course, and shanghaijoe doesn't appear to be a really active member. Would seriously appreciate this gorgeous track  Smiley

It would honestly mean a lot.

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx