gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:42:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A definitive list of songs Mike Love won co-writing credit for?  (Read 3681 times)
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2017, 06:40:31 AM »

This is not a definitive list - Please feel free to add or subtract or otherwise correct.  It's based on Andrew's list but I noticed there are some songs not on his list which I have added.

Chug a Lug
409*
Farmer's Daughter
Shut Down
Noble Surfer
Finders Keepers
Hawaii*
Catch a Wave
Be True to Your School*
I Get Around*
Custom Machine
Keep an Eye on Summer
All Summer Long*
Wendy
Do You Remember?
Drive In
Don't Back Down*
Little Saint Nick*
Santa's Beard
The Man with All the Toys*
Good to my Baby
Don't Hurt My Little Sister
When I Grow Up*
Help Me Rhonda*
Dance Dance Dance*
Kiss Me Baby
She Knows Me Too Well
In the Back of My Mind
The Girl from New York City
Amusement Parks USA
Salt Lake City
California Girls*
Let Him Run Wild
You're So Good to Me
Wouldn't It Be Nice
I Know There's an Answer

* = songs mentioned by Mike Love in pre-lawsuit interview as song he co-wrote but received no credit for

Another song mentioned by Mike Love as a song he didn't receive for credit for was Please Let Me Wonder ("I wrote the verses, not relating to the title") but the song on the 1990 CD and the Pastmasters CD IS credited Wilson-Love!  A mistake on Mike's part?  I dont' have my original vinyl handy to check on the credits there.

Songs mentioned by Mike as co-writes that he did NOT receive credit for:

Merry Christmas Baby - at least not on the 1998 Christmas CD
South Bay Surfer - credited to Brian, Carl and Dennis

Songs Mike claimed and won credit for that had minimal contributions from Mike:

409 - he came up with "she's real fins my 409" and "giddy up giddy up 409"
I Get Around - he came up with "round round get around, I Get Around"
Help Me Rhonda - Mike came up with the first line, "Since she put me down I've been out doin' in my head"
Wouldn't It Be Nice - the infamous "good night baby, sleep tight baby" the sum total of Mike's contribution

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 07:12:35 AM »

Did Mike get his name added to "Shut Down?" I think that one is still just Brian/Roger Christian. In fact, Mike has (kind of begrudgingly/dismissively) acknowledged that Christian came in to write car lyrics because that wasn't his (Mike's) area of expertise.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 03:33:45 PM »

You are correct sir- I checked the AP SACD and the credit is still Wilson-Christian.  So scratch that off the list.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 04:05:16 PM »

I thought for sure Mike receives credit on California Girls now.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 05:08:53 PM »

That's on the list which is roughly chronological not alphabetically arranged.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 09:46:13 PM »

Another song mentioned by Mike Love as a song he didn't receive for credit for was Please Let Me Wonder ("I wrote the verses, not relating to the title") but the song on the 1990 CD and the Pastmasters CD IS credited Wilson-Love!  A mistake on Mike's part?  I dont' have my original vinyl handy to check on the credits there

Mike has always been credited for "Please Let Me Wonder".

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 10:35:32 PM »

The only takeaway here is that both Mike and Andrew have been known to talk out of their asses.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 01:26:17 AM »

Help Me Rhonda - Mike came up with the first line, "Since she put me down I've been out doin' in my head"

Wow, that's pretty impressive.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 07:46:24 AM »

I know California Girls is on the list. But there is a star next to it. Implying he has mentioned it but hasn't received credit. But he has!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 10:46:27 AM »

The only takeaway here is that both Mike and Andrew have been known to talk out of their asses.

LOL LOL LOL LOL  I missed this before but extremely well said, GF.  Smiley

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 11:09:54 AM »

Songs mentioned by Mike as co-writes that he did NOT receive credit for:

South Bay Surfer - credited to Brian, Carl and Dennis

The 2001 twofer reissues credits "Wilson, Wilson, Jardine".

Since at least the 70s Mike claims credit for "Surfin' USA". He mentioned it a.o. in the Beach Boys Radio Special. IIRC Carl also says so in that special.
In that BBC documentary from ~ 2004 (called "Wouldn't it be nice") the editors cut interviews with Al and Mike respectively in a way that had them talk about the song, then Al says "Well, Mike Love will tell you that he wrote the lyrics" to which they cut to Mike doing exactly that, then they switch back to Al saying that he seriously doubts that is true, since "Mike didn't surf either".

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 11:15:29 AM »

I know California Girls is on the list. But there is a star next to it. Implying he has mentioned it but hasn't received credit. But he has!

The star means that he mentioned it in a pre law suit interview - which is important because the songs he mentions before the lawsuit was even filed are more likely to be indeed co-writes, rather than the songs that were later negotiated in court.  All of the songs in the first list he did receive credit for after the lawsuit.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx