gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:27:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Concerts the Wilsons attended  (Read 14101 times)
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2017, 02:44:30 AM »

*UPDATED*
Thought it’d be interesting to discuss concerts Brian, Carl and Dennis attended as audience memebers. I’ll start it off, see if you guys can add to anything:

Brian
-The Four Freshmen (during 50s)
-Beatles Hollywood Bowl (64 or 65)
-Andy Williams Hollywood Bowl (during 60s ?)
-Elvis Presley (69)
-Peter Frampton (76 or 77)
-Carl Wilson (1981)
-George Michael (during 80s)
-Moody Blues (during 80s)
-Stevie Wonder (1986)
-Dylan (88)
-Fleetwood Mac the dance (1997)
-McCartney
-Rolling Stones
-The Four Feshmen (during 2000s)
-Elton John (2007 60th birthday concert, can see Brian a few times in audience)

Dennis
-Elvis Presley (69)
-Wings (think it was the rockshow 76)
-Queen (70s)
-Fleetwood Mac (70s)
-Carl Wilson (1981)

Carl
-Beatles (65 or 66)
-The Flame (69)
-Elvis Presley (69)
-Rolling stones (think it was early 70s where Carl had a complaint that it was too loud)
-Queen (70s)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 02:19:14 AM by MrRobinsonsFather » Logged
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 05:39:03 AM »

I was at a 1972 show in College Park, MD and Bruce asked the crowd if anybody was at the Moody Blues concert in Baltimore the night before.  I had been at that Moody Blues show.  They played the Surf's Up lp as the lead up to the Moody's appearance, so there must have been some interaction.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 06:12:50 AM »

Brian saw the Four Freshman a second time, later in life, at Newport Beach. He talks about both concerts in his book.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 10:11:01 AM »

There are pictures of Brian and Elton backstage at a George Michael concert in the late 80's.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 12:23:15 PM »

I believe Brian saw Chicago once or twice in '80s.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 12:27:08 PM »

All those BBs shows where BW watched and didn’t take the stage with them....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 12:56:34 PM »

Carl was with Dennis at the Queen concert. I believe it was in Mike's book. Dennis was drunk and the members of Queen didn't want to meet him. I think it was 75 or 77.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 01:13:00 PM »

All those BBs shows where BW watched and didn’t take the stage with them....

Good one, SB! I'm sure I was at a few of those. Reportedly, he was backstage at one of the Carnegie concerts I attended. From what I understand, they were coaxing him to walk on for a couple of songs but failed to do so. If only, huh?

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 01:35:35 PM »

From what I've heard, the Beach Boys were invited to see one of Elvis Presley's 1969 comeback shows in Vegas and attended. So, Dennis and Carl saw him as well. Brian probably wasn't there.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 02:17:22 PM »

Does Mike at the Trump rally count?
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 04:26:23 PM »

Brian was at the August 1969 Elvis show with his wife Marilyn. The guy that took them to the show was road manager jack Lloyd, who I interviewed for my book
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 08:12:40 PM »

Brian saw the Four Freshman a second time, later in life, at Newport Beach. He talks about both concerts in his book.

Ah yes I remember, I think it was a new Four Freshmen band, none of the original members.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 08:19:04 PM by MrRobinsonsFather » Logged
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 08:13:41 PM »

Brian was at the August 1969 Elvis show with his wife Marilyn. The guy that took them to the show was road manager jack Lloyd, who I interviewed for my book

Yea Lloyd mentioned he took both to the yellow submarine premiere as well.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 12:03:38 AM »

Good idea for a thread. I would bet between them they've seen 100's of shows, especially Dennis and prob carl. It's just too bad there isn't direct proof thats easy to find.
In Mike's book he talks about going to see Richard Pryor at the Troubadour at least a few times in the late 60s. Not sure if that counts since hes comedy not music.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 02:11:29 AM »

Mike attended a Barry Manilow performance in the early '80s. He went there with Marvin Gaye (p100).

Oops! I now see it's a Wilsons-only topic. I do apologize.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 02:12:33 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 05:28:18 AM »

Cool! I didn't know Brian was there (without the Beach Boys?). It's been said that Elvis introduced the Beach Boys but as of yet no recording surfaced. The August engagement were the very first Presley concerts since 1961 and they are probably among the finest Rock'n'Roll shows of all time. Some of the shows were recorded by RCA on multitrack for what became the live half of the double album "From Memphis to Vegas/From Vegas to Memphis" which was later separately released as "In person".
Through the years a couple of full shows were released both on the main label Sony/BMG and the Elvis collectors label "Follow that dream" and of course bootlegs with audience recordings.
All of them were dynamite. Here's but one example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ChCSPY2gpo

Is the exact show known that Brian attended? And was he introduced to the audience by Elvis? Here's a listing of all the '69 shows

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 07:06:31 AM »

When I met Al in 2005, he mentioned he had just seen The Eagles in concert.

Al also in the last year or two posted a bunch of pics of a Moody Blues show he had attended.

Peter Frampton mentioned in a chat, when I prompted him if he had any weird Brian Wilsons stories, that Brian took Carnie and Wendy to a Frampton show circa '76 or '77 when they were kids. However, the twist in the story was that when Brian went back stage to meet Frampton, Frampton told Brian what a big fan he was, etc., and that he hoped he would enjoy the show, and Brian told him bluntly "Oh, I'm not here to see the show. I just brought my daughters to see you."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 07:21:43 AM »

Jeez that was a pretty intense month for Elvis.
Silken
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 07:30:31 AM »

Carl was with Dennis at the Queen concert. I believe it was in Mike's book. Dennis was drunk and the members of Queen didn't want to meet him. I think it was 75 or 77.

As a fan of both bands I love these tidbits  Grin
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 10:09:17 AM »

Got this from someone of another forum. Thanks to him!

I would be surprised if Brian hadn’t just, or was about to, see Chuck Berry going by this shot.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 01:17:33 AM »

Peter Frampton mentioned in a chat, when I prompted him if he had any weird Brian Wilsons stories, that Brian took Carnie and Wendy to a Frampton show circa '76 or '77 when they were kids. However, the twist in the story was that when Brian went back stage to meet Frampton, Frampton told Brian what a big fan he was, etc., and that he hoped he would enjoy the show, and Brian told him bluntly "Oh, I'm not here to see the show. I just brought my daughters to see you."

I love that! LOL
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 01:27:34 PM »

I don't think Elvis knew they were there.  Allegedly when they tried to meet Elvis afterwards they were rebuffed by his people and no meeting took place
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2017, 03:23:14 AM »

How about Dennis attending Carl's solo show in the early 80's! As the story goes DW had too much to drink and was a bit  rowdy!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 04:08:41 AM »

Both Dennis and Brian were at the 1981 show
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 04:49:47 AM »

This is good thread, thanks to everybody.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx