gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:51:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Japanese 1980s Capitol reissues were the first on CD  (Read 2822 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2017, 08:27:45 AM »

I was in Japan at the time (1989), and ALMOST decided to spring for that mid price series, I think they were 1800 yen each and contained one Capitol album per disc. But then the US twofers were released, so I decided to go for those instead. What I should have done, of course, was buy both sets. Those first Japanese reissues would be very interesting to own, and I bet they are worth a mint now!

Actually, I think I own two from that batch, Today! and Party. What makes those "Past Masters" CD's so collectible is the fact that they were flat transfers, no futzing.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 08:42:54 AM »

I have the Wild Honey CD, just couldn't wait for the US release. Over the years, I've gotten it signed by Brian, Carl, Mike, Al, and Bruce.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 10:18:10 AM »

I have the Wild Honey CD, just couldn't wait for the US release. Over the years, I've gotten it signed by Brian, Carl, Mike, Al, and Bruce.

Wow! Well done. Yes, when I first set eyes on the Past Masters in 1989, the US twofers had not yet been announced. If only...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 02:54:49 PM »

I have a couple including PS. Only worth about $18 on eBay.

There is a Japanese SIP listed for $180 though if you are talking investment.  LOL
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 05:15:12 PM »

I ordered them all from a record store in Melbourne at $30 a pop! I then stupidly sold them for less than half what I originally paid when the first batch of two-fers were released.

I've managed to repurchase the entire set again, for keeps this time!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 06:11:35 PM »

This is where everything started here in Japan. Before these releases, apparently the Beach Boys wasn't taken seriously unlike their contemporaries: The Beatles, Bob Dylan and The Rolling Stones. This changed that at all.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 08:15:20 PM »

This is where everything started here in Japan. Before these releases, apparently the Beach Boys wasn't taken seriously unlike their contemporaries: The Beatles, Bob Dylan and The Rolling Stones. This changed that at all.

I didn't know that. The Beach Boys played Budokan in 1966, the year of PS. And, after the Past Masters, there was the oversize BW productions CD, "Still I Dream of you". Also, the Japanese Capitol box contains a seventh disc of BW productions, unlike the US one.

The Capitol Years ‎(7xCD, Album, Comp, Mono + Box)   Capitol Records   TOCP-6151-57   Japan   1990

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 09:00:29 PM »

I didn't know that. The Beach Boys played Budokan in 1966, the year of PS. And, after the Past Masters, there was the oversize BW productions CD, "Still I Dream of you". Also, the Japanese Capitol box contains a seventh disc of BW productions, unlike the US one.
Right, there were fair amount of enthuasistic BB fans before Past Masters, and it was them that made stuff like ' Still I Dream of You' and Bruce and Terry's 'Rare Masters', and made the Beach Boys more appreciated.

However, I'm pretty sure they hadn't been taken seriously until Past Masters, among not only the public, but non-casual rock/pop fans. There was zero BB-related books until the release of translated 'Heroes and Villains' in the late 80's. And the first domestic BB-related book was finally released in the late 90's, on the other hand there had been a bunch of domestic books about The Beatles until then.

So, from my perspective, The Beach Boys had been seen generally as just an 'oldies' 'surfin'' act like The Ventures, not as the target of serious researches.
The Beach Boys=Surfin' USA; sadly, that was the general view until Past Masters, and, that is, among the public who don't pay attention to the current rock appreciation consensus.

I could be wrong, since I'm a new fan and don't experience the era, but this is what I 'got' from reading books and articles of those who knows how it was then.

As for Capitol box, I think UK version also had the BW productions disc. And it seems that it won't indicate that there were enough BB fans to make the record company release such collector's item, considering it has been following the UK release since Sunflower (it had Cotton Fields)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 12:17:07 AM »

Right, there were fair amount of enthuasistic BB fans before Past Masters, and it was them that made stuff like ' Still I Dream of You' and Bruce and Terry's 'Rare Masters', and made the Beach Boys more appreciated.

However, I'm pretty sure they hadn't been taken seriously until Past Masters, among not only the public, but non-casual rock/pop fans. There was zero BB-related books until the release of translated 'Heroes and Villains' in the late 80's. And the first domestic BB-related book was finally released in the late 90's, on the other hand there had been a bunch of domestic books about The Beatles until then.

So, from my perspective, The Beach Boys had been seen generally as just an 'oldies' 'surfin'' act like The Ventures, not as the target of serious researches.
The Beach Boys=Surfin' USA; sadly, that was the general view until Past Masters, and, that is, among the public who don't pay attention to the current rock appreciation consensus.

I could be wrong, since I'm a new fan and don't experience the era, but this is what I 'got' from reading books and articles of those who knows how it was then.

As for Capitol box, I think UK version also had the BW productions disc. And it seems that it won't indicate that there were enough BB fans to make the record company release such collector's item, considering it has been following the UK release since Sunflower (it had Cotton Fields)

As far as I know, The Toshiba Capitol Years box is the ONLY one with the seventh disc. So, there must have been a small hardcore following in Japan. Don't forget, the Japanese are the biggest music fans/collectors in the world. Things get reissued in Japan that no other market can/will carry. It could be that BB weren't appreciated much by casual fans (the majority, after all), but I wouldn't compare them to the Ventures, who had the biggest following in Japan and who released Japan-only LP's. The Ventures' status and special relationship with Japan is a whole different story.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 03:02:06 AM »

As far as I know, The Toshiba Capitol Years box is the ONLY one with the seventh disc. So, there must have been a small hardcore following in Japan. Don't forget, the Japanese are the biggest music fans/collectors in the world. Things get reissued in Japan that no other market can/will carry. It could be that BB weren't appreciated much by casual fans (the majority, after all), but I wouldn't compare them to the Ventures, who had the biggest following in Japan and who released Japan-only LP's. The Ventures' status and special relationship with Japan is a whole different story.
True. There were not so many, but respectably enthusiastic fans before PM, and then they made more, including me, new BB fans.

As for Capitol box, according to Discog, 6 LP box with BW production disc was issued in the UK and Japan, on the other hand, Japan was possibly the only country where the box was issued as 6-CD box with a bonus disc.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx