gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680552 Posts in 27595 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 02:18:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys pilgrimage  (Read 2121 times)
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2023, 09:51:43 PM »

Hi all, I haven’t been here in ages. Nice to be back.

I will be going to California (LA area) for the first time ever later this month. At the top of my list is doing some kind of tour of important BB sites. I feel like I’m the past I’ve seen posts and YouTube videos documenting similar trips that other people have done, but now that I’m searching I can’t find anything. So, I’m looking for tips!  I unfortunately won’t have days and days to do all this so would appreciate any tips on how to maximize my time and see the best sites in the lost logical way (hopefully winning criss crossing the greater LA region multiple times). I know I can google map this out but thought I would ask folks here in case anyone has done a similar tour.

Id love to do a comprehensive tour, but since I don’t have endless amounts of time, I’m trying to prioritize. A few of the top sites I’d really like to see:

The house on Laurel Way
The cemetery where Carl is buried
Capitol Records building
Paradise Cove

Also wondering if it’s worth going to Hawthorne and seeing the monument?

Any BB-related bands that will be playing in the area in late December?

All tips and ideas are welcome. Thanks!

DSalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 10:41:26 PM »

You might be interested in this video:

https://youtu.be/qKeDedppnYY?si=FdtDecMPtey5TRxM
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 01:20:08 AM »

I think it's worthwhile to visit the BB monument. You can park right by it.

Paradise Cove charges an arm and a leg for parking. If you go there, be sure to eat at their restaurant and get your parking validated to get a discount on the parking.

Chez Jay's in Santa Monica is worth visiting. It was one of Dennis Wilson's favorite hangouts and the food was very good the time I ate there.

Check out the BBs' star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in front of the bank at Sunset and Vine.

I try to stop by Carl's final resting place at Pierce Brothers in Westwood, to pay my respects whenever I'm in L.A. Billy Hinsche is there too, as well as Audree Wilson and Dean Martin.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 05:53:55 AM »

I'd love to recommend Foster's Freeze on Hawthorne Blvd, but sadly it closed down a couple years ago.

Here are a few other places to consider visiting...

Hawthorne High.

The Janss Steps at UCLA where the BBs shot the cover image for the Don't Worry Baby/I Get Around 45.

Mexican food at El Chollo Spanish Cafe, 1121 South Western Avenue, a favorite of the Wilsons and Loves... per ML's biography the owner expressed extreme skepticism c. 1961 when told that Mike was planning a career in music.

The Beverly Glen Deli.  2948 Beverly Glen Circle.  Brian's hangout for the last 20 yearas or so.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 09:42:50 AM »

(Let's Go To) Hawthorne CA with David Marks! Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3zqUU73riY

and part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_txZQz7AB0

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 12:53:12 AM »

I just missed the Foster's Freeze! I did my own pilgrimage a few years ago and it was closed ... but the vibe was as if whoever was supposed to open it hadn't bothered to come in that morning. Glad I at least got to see it, even if I didn't get my shake. Definitely drive down Hawthorne Boulevard and definitely visit the monument. Even though the house is gone, Hawthorne is still a working class area, which means there hasn't been nearly as much development as there might have been. There are some old 50s signs and buildings on the main strip, and the part of the Wilson's neighborhood that didn't go under the freeway still has the kind of vibe you might imagine, I think. Just imagine them riding up and down those streets on their bikes, it's easy to see it. Also you can have lunch at Pizza Show, which is where Brian would go for a slice. As a New Yorker, the pizza itself is bad. But I bet ya it's exactly the same bad pizza they were chowing down on in the 50s!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2023, 05:53:32 PM »

I have been fortunate to visit LA quite a few times over the years and have managed to fit in a few side trips to most BB related sites, however I do them a bit differently to some here. Example: My wife and I basically drove the coast in September ticking of many towns and places listed in ‘California Saga’, however I didn’t feel the urge to find Al Jardine’s mailbox near Big Sur, if you know what I mean.

You will see the Capitol Tower driving in the area. No need to stop. Drive-by some of the old studio locations as well, nothing really of note but it’s more interesting to me knowing the band drove and walked the same areas.
The Hawthorne memorial wasn’t built when I walked around, but I felt a bit down looking at the actual site. What came out of the house was great but the fact Murry created such misery there left me in two minds. Again, knowing the guys walked and rode the surrounding pavements made up for it.
I like Marina Del Rey and Venice Beach close by despite being somewhat seedy. I have seen where Dennis passed away but just knowing he loved the location as a whole meant more. Look out to sea and think of him.
Paradise Cove is one of my few musts. The restaurant is pretty special for the location and you can walk the beach south after eating.  Parking details below. Avoid the weekend.
https://www.paradisecovemalibu.com/parking-info/
At some point I will get to Carls grave for him and all the other interesting people buried there, including Marilyn Monroe. 😉

Hope something there helps.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2023, 04:56:01 PM »

And if you care for some non-BBs related stuff, find the Chameleon warehouse where this video was filmed:

Carlos Santana & John Lee Hooker The Healer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xox9J0FNjZ8

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Healer_(album)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2023, 05:57:39 PM »

If you are interested in such things, you may be able to take a peak around East West (formerly Western) Studios. I was able to do so some years ago just by showing up and by luck that no sessions were taking place.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2023, 02:15:14 PM »

I definitely think its worthwhile to see the monument, it won't be crowded, it's got a lot of historic value, and you can park free right on the Wilson's former street. Loved Santa Monica and Chez Jays and I stayed in Marina Del Ray at the Ritz with my balcony overlooking Dennis final dives. Would love to visit Carl's final resting spot, haven't done that yet. And having done the "UP THE COAST" drive, loved Sycamore Canyon road and Al's ranch at the end of it, just up from the beautiful Pfieffer Beach. Very cool pot, there was a Woodie parked out front at the mouth of the gated property.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2023, 10:29:52 PM »

I definitely think its worthwhile to see the monument, it won't be crowded, it's got a lot of historic value, and you can park free right on the Wilson's former street. Loved Santa Monica and Chez Jays and I stayed in Marina Del Ray at the Ritz with my balcony overlooking Dennis final dives. Would love to visit Carl's final resting spot, haven't done that yet. And having done the "UP THE COAST" drive, loved Sycamore Canyon road and Al's ranch at the end of it, just up from the beautiful Pfieffer Beach. Very cool pot, there was a Woodie parked out front at the mouth of the gated property.

Smokin Cool Guy
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx