gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680776 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 03:31:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's future live setlists  (Read 6064 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 09:48:58 PM »

And my reaction was just the opposite. I didn't need Paul being "the Beatle". He had plenty of solo hits and Wings hits to mix in with the Beatles songs, but by1989, he had decided that having been a Beatle was his main drawing power.

I think Paul has wrongly ignored his Wings/solo output. But back in 1989, nobody from the Beatles was doing Beatles tunes in concert. Ringo started touring that year and did a few of his own Beatles songs. Other than a small string of shows in late 1991, Harrison wasn't touring (and even on that tour he of course only did his own Beatles songs).

So, much like Brian doing BB songs, I think McCartney did Beatles songs in part because they're *his* songs. (I think he also learned, or already knew, that they were the most crowd-pleasing songs and he finally embraced that rather than rejecting it has he had done in the 70s). Let's remember that in 1989, "Jet" and "Live and Let Die" had been aired more times in concert by McCartney than "Hello Goodbye" or "Michelle" or "Magical Mystery Tour", and so on.

Ideally, and certainly by the 2000s when he was touring quite often, he could have mixed things up more. He *has*, but slowly. There are still huge gaps of beloved solo songs (some even minor or big hits) that he has completely ignored. But there are also some songs he wouldn't be able to sing live anyway. "Wanderlust" would be a good example, even if he were inclined to do it. But I know tons of fans have clamored of years for "With a Little Luck", or "Young Boy", or "The Back Seat of My Car", or even bringing back "My Brave Face."
"My Brave Face" was the one new song in 89/90 to get a response comparable to the classics. Surprised he hasn't played it since. "With a Little Luck" has NEVER been played live, although there is footage on youtube of Wings rehearsing it for the Japan tour.
KDS
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2017, 05:27:04 AM »

And my reaction was just the opposite. I didn't need Paul being "the Beatle". He had plenty of solo hits and Wings hits to mix in with the Beatles songs, but by1989, he had decided that having been a Beatle was his main drawing power.

I think Paul has wrongly ignored his Wings/solo output. But back in 1989, nobody from the Beatles was doing Beatles tunes in concert. Ringo started touring that year and did a few of his own Beatles songs. Other than a small string of shows in late 1991, Harrison wasn't touring (and even on that tour he of course only did his own Beatles songs).

So, much like Brian doing BB songs, I think McCartney did Beatles songs in part because they're *his* songs. (I think he also learned, or already knew, that they were the most crowd-pleasing songs and he finally embraced that rather than rejecting it has he had done in the 70s). Let's remember that in 1989, "Jet" and "Live and Let Die" had been aired more times in concert by McCartney than "Hello Goodbye" or "Michelle" or "Magical Mystery Tour", and so on.

Ideally, and certainly by the 2000s when he was touring quite often, he could have mixed things up more. He *has*, but slowly. There are still huge gaps of beloved solo songs (some even minor or big hits) that he has completely ignored. But there are also some songs he wouldn't be able to sing live anyway. "Wanderlust" would be a good example, even if he were inclined to do it. But I know tons of fans have clamored of years for "With a Little Luck", or "Young Boy", or "The Back Seat of My Car", or even bringing back "My Brave Face."
"My Brave Face" was the one new song in 89/90 to get a response comparable to the classics. Surprised he hasn't played it since. "With a Little Luck" has NEVER been played live, although there is footage on youtube of Wings rehearsing it for the Japan tour.

From what I remember that was a pretty popular song at the time.  I remember seeing the music video on TV a lot.  Of course, this is back when MTV / VH1 would actually respect artists that had more than a decade under their belt. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2017, 07:18:16 AM »

Yes, "With a Little Luck" was presumably likely to be performed on the Japan/US legs in 1980. The rehearsal video with Wings sounds pretty "bleh", but it is of course just a rehearsal. That was a rather sterile-sounding live configuration to begin with anyway.

Much like Brian occasionally bringing out deep cuts when they're tied into a recent archival project, McCartney has occasionally brought out old stuff into the setlist based on having recently digested the material again for his "Archive Collection" series of reissues. Although, I do still chuckle when fans are convinced each "Archive" release will all of a sudden lead to a glut of songs from that old album entering his setlist. Indeed, he hasn't added *anything* from the most recent release, which was "Flowers in the Dirt."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx