gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:15:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Dennis Dragon  (Read 12227 times)
drummer083
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2017, 04:04:21 PM »

I just got the news that Dennis passed away. I was a huge fan. He had so many irons in the fire, I'm just shocked that he would choose to end it all. I hope wherever he is he's at peace.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 04:10:03 PM »

RIP. Sadly, I don't know much about him other than that his brother is Daryl Dragon. Judging by the tone of your post, it sounds like a suicide too.  Embarrassed
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 04:14:07 PM »

Oh no

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
drummer083
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 04:21:48 PM »

The Dragon Brothers had a band with Ed Carter called "The Dragons" that were on Capitol Records prior to them joining the BB touring band en masse. Dennis played on several BB sessions and in concert. In fact, that's him on the 1970 show from the Big Sur Folk Festival. He later went on to produce and engineer for several artists like Carole King and Johnny Rivers, in addition to his own band, The Surf Punks.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 04:50:05 PM »

Cry Terrible news, so sorry to hear about this
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 05:39:22 PM »

Sad news - I'd corresponded with DD a few times over the years. Drummer on Susie Cincinnati, Slip On Through, This Whole World, Got To Know The Woman, Good Time, Disney Girls...percussionist on It's About Time, Slip On Through, Good Time...tape splicer on Soulful Old Man Sunshine....
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 07:29:13 PM »

So very sad to hear. What tragedies that have befallen the gentlemen named Dennis in this band.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 10:09:15 PM »

I can't find anything on his death online. It's not on his official site.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 02:30:06 AM »

No, there's nothing as yet. Maybe they want to be certain about the cause before making an announcement. Perfectly dreadful if it is suicide.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
drummer083
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 08:16:10 AM »

The Dragon's late sister, Kathy, also a songwriter, was married to Rick Henn of the Sunrays.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 09:05:45 AM »

The official site I looked at recently looked like it was designed literally in the late 90s, and indeed appears as if it hadn't been updated in *years*, to the point where a bunch of the pics are dead links, etc.

The front page says it hasn't been updated since 2013.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 05:43:52 PM »

not much info online, can only find a couple of other threads + a tiny (birth & death dates) update to wikipedia, but Al's posted a tribute to his personal facebook

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1614430138615275&set=a.251194021605567.63433.100001449127373&type=3
"Rest in peace Dennis Dragon from The Surf Punks. Dennis was a friend and played those amazing drums on Susie Cincinnati from 15 Big Ones. We had just decided to add the song to our set when we got the news. Wish he could have held on. Our thoughts are with his family, friends and fans ❤️ Al & Mary Ann Jardine"

Cry

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 10:23:14 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1614430138615275&set=a.251194021605567.63433.100001449127373&type=3
"Rest in peace Dennis Dragon from The Surf Punks. Dennis was a friend and played those amazing drums on Susie Cincinnati from 15 Big Ones. We had just decided to add the song to our set when we got the news.
Wish he could have held on. Our thoughts are with his family, friends and fans ❤️ Al & Mary Ann Jardine"

That one line is a little worrying, to say the least...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 12:24:55 PM »

[temporary post deleted]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 02:15:17 AM by JK » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 04:09:47 PM »

"Rest in peace Dennis Dragon from The Surf Punks. Dennis was a friend and played those amazing drums on Susie Cincinnati from 15 Big Ones. We had just decided to add the song to our set when we got the news.
Wish he could have held on. Our thoughts are with his family, friends and fans ❤️ Al & Mary Ann Jardine"

Why? Al says Dragon should continue to live, thru bad times. What's "worrying" about it? It's nice & fair thing to say about friend.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 02:22:03 AM »

Why? Al says Dragon should continue to live, thru bad times. What's "worrying" about it? It's nice & fair thing to say about friend.

It was worrying because no one knew anything about the cause of death at that time. The possibility of suicide had been mentioned elsewhere and the tone of Al's remark implied that that was indeed the case. It has now been confirmed.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 04:05:07 AM »

If Al said Dragon should've held on, isn't this implication actually confirmation his friend indeed committed suicide? Don't see any reason he'd phrase it like that. Al should know since BBs people seem to be the same friends' circle, share the news about each with the others, then fans, the Internet.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 04:12:21 AM »

I wouldn't say it's a stock remark, but it's quite a normal, acceptable response when talkjng about a suicide.  You wish they held on because, in whatever dark place they  were in, things would have certainly improved.  I'm sure that's all Al meant, RR
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 04:27:59 AM »

We agree, I too said it's nice speech about friend, Al wished he tried to fight than give up. But it IS suicide confirmation, it's not cryptic. If it wasn't about suicide, he wouldn't add that bit at all. To wait the other BBs folk to confirm it doesn't make sense imo. As if it must be said flat-out "suicide" to prove it right. It must be painful to even type it for Al & others who "implied".
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 04:31:04 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 11:40:07 AM »

Worked with and recorded Dennis many, many times. A fantastic talent, both as a drummer and an engineer/producer. At times, a wild and crazy guy, but always a delight to be with in the studio. Too young to move on and I know many will miss him. RIP Dennis.  ~swd

Article >>> http://www.theinertia.com/surf/dennis-dragon-drummer-of-legendary-80s-surf-punk-band-dies/
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 11:54:11 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx