gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 10:09:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pick 3 songs to add to the setlists  (Read 6895 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2017, 12:51:19 PM »

Mike Garneau, I actually love the idea of adding Custom Machine! I would love to see Bruce take a lead on that because of his awesome rendition with Terry Melcher from the 60's.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2017, 12:59:01 PM »

Brian has done "Custom Machine" on occasion (2009 and 2013 if I recall correctly).

I have a vague recollection of a story from 2012 where Al suggested adding "Custom Machine" to the C50 setlist, and Mike allegedly didn't want to do it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2017, 01:05:16 PM »

In at least one case I can think of, a major member of a band left and struck an agreement with the remaining band members to split up their songs and not perform each others' material. When Roger Hodgson left Supertramp, he supposedly struck an agreement where the remaining members that would continue on under the name would not perform Hodgson songs.

This apparently didn't last long, since Hodgson wrote three of their most popular songs ("Give a Little Bit", "Take the Long Way Home", "The Logical Song"). Not sure how they ended up hashing that out.

In any event, it's not as if Brian and Mike could easily do this, as many of the hits have both of their names. But, it would be interesting if they only stuck to stuff they wrote or co-wrote. How many hits and other "meat and potatoes" or otherwise well-known numbers did Mike write without Brian? One: "Kokomo." How many did Brian write without Mike? Surfer Girl, Don't Worry Baby, Little Deuce Coupe, Shut Down, Heroes and Villains, In My Room, The Little Girl I Once Knew, most of PS, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2017, 01:30:23 PM »

Styx only does a couple of songs written by the departed keyboard player.. Most of the ballads they dont do anymore.. Keyboard player plays all the stuff on his solo tours.. The songs Styx"s plays are all written by the guitar players..  I saw them recently and it was still a good show.. More guitar orientated  less keyboards..
KDS
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2017, 01:37:05 PM »

Styx only does a couple of songs written by the departed keyboard player.. Most of the ballads they dont do anymore.. Keyboard player plays all the stuff on his solo tours.. The songs Styx"s plays are all written by the guitar players..  I saw them recently and it was still a good show.. More guitar orientated  less keyboards..

With Styx, JY and Tommy didn't really care for a lot of those ballads, "Babe" in particular.  Or, pretty much anything on the Kilroy album. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2017, 01:42:11 PM »

I'm not even that into Styx and I still marvel at how a fan wouldn't miss DeYoung, who sang and wrote a bunch of their hits. In that sense, the other guys using their name are much like Mike Love. They're making enough bank on their own without DeYoung, and they can pick and choose doing his songs if they want, and while they'd certainly seen an uptick in venues/sales if they did another "reunion", they have no interest in doing their job by committee and having another guy have any say.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2017, 04:43:47 PM »

This isn't grounded in reality.

Brian Wilson:
"Still I Dream of It"
"Gettin In Over My Head"
"Love Is Here to Stay"

Alternates:
"Mona"
"I'll Bet He's Nice"
"Speed Turtle"  Grin

Beach Boys:
"Big Sur"
"Don't Go Near the Water"
"That's Not Me"

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2017, 07:11:06 PM »

Custom Machine- I remember Scott Totten stating a couple of times on message boards he wanted to play the song but Mike did not want to at all. Something about not liking his lead vocal.

I have heard Mike's band play Til I Die on multiple occasions, before and after Foskett. They generally do a nice job with it. It is a little weird considering the personal nature of the song and Mike looks kind of out of place during it.  Two years ago I apparently got so spoiled hearing it for the 4th time when M and B played it I was disappointed. I was hoping for All I Wanna Do as they had played that recently. I felt guilty not appreciating it more. Then I forgot about my guilt when Mike launched into the Pisces Brother/Cool Head Warm Heart medley.  Wall Wall.
 Brian played it with Al on the Jeff Beck tour most recently I believe. Jeff sang most of it if I recall.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2017, 10:26:51 PM »

Ding Dang
Shortening Bread
Drip Drop

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2017, 05:44:45 AM »

I'm not even that into Styx and I still marvel at how a fan wouldn't miss DeYoung, who sang and wrote a bunch of their hits. In that sense, the other guys using their name are much like Mike Love. They're making enough bank on their own without DeYoung, and they can pick and choose doing his songs if they want, and while they'd certainly seen an uptick in venues/sales if they did another "reunion", they have no interest in doing their job by committee and having another guy have any say.

With the exception of Dennis DeYoung's more smaltzy stuff (Babe) and the Kilroy material, Styx still plays plenty of hits that Dennis sang and wrote.  Lady, The Grand Illusion, Rocking the Paradise, etc.  As a fan, it would've been cool to see Dennis onstage with Tommy, JY, and Chuck when I saw them in 2001.  I did get to see Dennis in 2012, and the guy can still sing. 
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2017, 05:28:09 AM »

I saw Dennis perform down in Atlantic City NJ around 4 years ago as well; he was terrific, sang great, and put on a great show. And I think each ticket was like $30 for a really good seat.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx