gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:10:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pick 3 songs to add to the setlists  (Read 6880 times)
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2017, 11:57:22 AM »

So I noticed some good setlist chatter going on over on the Brian tour thread. I personally love talking setlists and would love to know 3 songs you guys would  add to both Brian and Mike’s setlists! They don’t have to be never performed songs even though I went that way with a few of my choices. They just can’t be in the regular set rotation.

Mike & Bruce
1. Tears in the Morning - love Disney Girls but it’s time for Bruce to change it up
2. Keepin the Summer Alive - Cowsill would knock this out of the park and I’d welcome it more than Summertime Blues which I noticed has popped back up in the encore. Also even the casual fan would appreciate the sentiment of the song even if they don’t probably know it.
3. California Saga: Big Sur - arguably Mike’s best song (right with All I Wanna Do which should be a set staple for them!) this song would work perfect in the dreaded Pisces Brothers slot  LOL

Brian, Al & Blondie
1. Breakaway - it’s been done by them, Al and Brian trade lead it’s perfect and a relative deep cut despite being a single.
2. Lookin at Tomorrow (Welfare Song) - they’ve rehearsed it, Al’s played it, seems like a perfect fit to me.
3. You’re Still a Mystery - great song, I think this one might be more of a personal fantasy, Brian, Al and I think Matt are all on the MIC version so I think it would work well.

Bonus: just so Blondie isn’t left out Leaving this Town or Hold on Dear Brother would be great but The Trader is my choice, as we’ve seen with Feel Flows he can pull Carl leads off, plus he played on the record.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 12:10:03 PM »

Mike & Bruce:
1. All I Wanna Do
2. Deirdre
3. Car Crazy Cutie (Idk why, but I think Mike's band could play this song really well)

Brian:
1. All I Wanna Do
2. Surf City (Brian's first #1 hit)
3. Had To Phone Ya
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 12:12:08 PM »

Mike & Bruce:
1. All I Wanna Do
2. Deirdre
3. Car Crazy Cutie (Idk why, but I think Mike's band could play this song really well)

Brian:
1. All I Wanna Do
3. Had To Phone Ya

Great choices I agree on Car Crazy Cutie, they play those early songs really well. Cherry Cherry Coupe would be another good one.
KDS
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 12:19:49 PM »

Mike and Bruce

1.  All I Wanna Do (permanently, not the occasional airing it gets)
2.  Hushabye
3.  In the Parkin Lot

Brian

1.  Til I Die
2.  The Little Girl I Once Knew
3.  From There to Back Again / PCH / Summer's Gone
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 04:40:47 AM »

Brian.. Midnites another day.. She says that she needs me.. Sail away..
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 06:20:25 AM »

Mike & Bruce:
1. All I Wanna Do
2. Deirdre

Brian:
1. All I Wanna Do
3. Had To Phone Ya

Great choices I agree on Car Crazy Cutie, they play those early songs really well. Cherry Cherry Coupe would be another good one.

Weirdly, my recollection is that Mike's band played "Cherry Cherry Coupe" randomly at a few shows some time in the 2000s. Certainly a weird pick.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 06:21:45 AM »

Mike & Bruce:
1. Tears in the Morning
2. Breakaway (Imagine Brian Eichenberger and Jeff Foskett)
3. Big Sur (A remake in Lanlocked style is heared in the Mike Book Biography trailer)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 06:21:59 AM »

Brian.. Midnites another day.. She says that she needs me.. Sail away..

"Midnight's Another Day" and "Sail Away" have already had extensive airings through various past Brian tours. Not that this setlist selection exercise is only meant to pick "never performed" songs, but I would tend to pick songs that haven't been played relatively extensively in the past.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 06:26:13 AM »

Mike & Bruce:
1. Tears in the Morning
2. Breakaway (Imagine Brian Eichenberger and Jeff Foskett)
3. Big Sur (A remake in Lanlocked style is heared in the Mike Book Biography trailer)

A Brian tune sung by Mike's backing guys sounds pretty boring to me, actually. It's like Foskett singing "Surf's Up." It's like "Wow, great song, a good singer, but all wrong and with no soul."

If I were to hand pick three tracks for Mike's band, I'd at least pick three for actual *Beach Boys* to sing. Given Mike and Bruce have a hundred other songs *they* could sing, and Brian and Al are around to reprise their *original* vocals on "Break Away" in their band, I would pick something else for Mike's band.

Perhaps the most surprising song selection, on record anyway, in terms of digging into old stuff was Mike choosing to sing the lead on "Ballad of Ole Betsy" on that "Salute to NASCAR" album. I remember thinking that was the *only* thing on that awful album that was at least moderately interesting, for Mike to take a Brian "falsetto song" and sing it in a lower register.

BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 07:10:44 AM »

Foskett singing Surf Up would be awesome
KDS
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 07:25:20 AM »

Especially if Brian no longer wishes to perform the song.  In that case, I have no issue with Mike and Bruce's band picking up the torch. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 08:01:10 AM »

Especially if Brian no longer wishes to perform the song.  In that case, I have no issue with Mike and Bruce's band picking up the torch.  

If someone digs watching Mike's backing guys singing Brian's song, a song Mike has in the past not shown a strong affinity for (and arguably/allegedly did not want to perform on C50), I don't think whether Brian does the song or not should matter. Obviously just my opinion.

My reason for finding Foskett singing "Surf's Up" in Mike's band distasteful is all about context, not the performance quality itself. I find it distasteful regardless of whether Brian continues to sing the song or not.

And certainly, Mike's band's motives in setlist composition have nothing to do with "picking up the torch." They're not monitoring Brian's setlist and deciding that since Brian may have retired a song, they should take it on.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 08:03:12 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 08:03:52 AM »

It already happened; it's not a hypothetical.

KDS
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 08:09:48 AM »

Especially if Brian no longer wishes to perform the song.  In that case, I have no issue with Mike and Bruce's band picking up the torch.  

If someone digs watching Mike's backing guys singing Brian's song, a song Mike has in the past not shown a strong affinity for (and arguably/allegedly did not want to perform on C50), I don't think whether Brian does the song or not should matter. Obviously just my opinion.

My reason for finding Foskett singing "Surf's Up" in Mike's band distasteful is all about context, not the performance quality itself. I find it distasteful regardless of whether Brian continues to sing the song or not.

And certainly, Mike's band's motives in setlist composition have nothing to do with "picking up the torch." They're not monitoring Brian's setlist and deciding that since Brian may have retired a song, they should take it on.

I don't see Foskett doing Surf's Up as distasteful as much as I see it as playing a song that the audience wants to hear.  After all it was still released on a Beach Boys album, so as long as they're performing as The Beach Boys, I see no problem in songs like Surf's Up and Til I Die being performed. 

My main point was that, as somebody who attends both shows, I'd like at least one of the bands to perform Surf's Up. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 08:19:38 AM »

I don't see Foskett doing Surf's Up as distasteful as much as I see it as playing a song that the audience wants to hear.  After all it was still released on a Beach Boys album, so as long as they're performing as The Beach Boys, I see no problem in songs like Surf's Up and Til I Die being performed.  

My main point was that, as somebody who attends both shows, I'd like at least one of the bands to perform Surf's Up.  

I can't disagree with the obvious, that Mike works from a pool of "Beach Boys" songs (whereas Brian works *mostly* from a pool of songs he's written; a very important distinction), and sees doing any BB song as no different from when he did them in the 70s or 80s or 90s, etc.

I also can't disagree with the idea that fans like songs like "Surf's Up."

I just think Mike and Jeff choosing in 2015, after Foskett flipping from Brian's to Mike's band, and after a C50 tour where "Surf's Up" was nowhere to be seen/heard, that Mike and Jeff doing *THAT* particular song is just tonally wrong and leaves a bad taste. As I said back then, I think as a fan you either immediately understand that feeling, or you don't. You either understand that Jeff leaving Brian and joining Mike and doing "Surf's Up" is different from Mike singing "Kiss Me Baby" or "You're So Good To Me", or you don't.

I don't expect the seven-thumbs-up, "five different touring bands touring at once means more music!" classification of fans to get that feeling.

Closest thing to Mike and Foskett doing "Surf's Up" that I can think of would be, I guess, Al doing a solo show with cheerleaders and singing a heartfelt tribute to George Harrison, "Pisces Brothers." Far from a perfect analogy of course, but that's the closet converse analog I can think of at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 08:21:14 AM by HeyJude » Logged

KDS
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 08:27:04 AM »

I don't see Foskett doing Surf's Up as distasteful as much as I see it as playing a song that the audience wants to hear.  After all it was still released on a Beach Boys album, so as long as they're performing as The Beach Boys, I see no problem in songs like Surf's Up and Til I Die being performed.  

I can't disagree with the obvious, that Mike works from a pool of "Beach Boys" songs (whereas Brian works *mostly* from a pool of songs he's written; a very important distinction), and sees doing any BB song as no different from when he did them in the 70s or 80s or 90s, etc.

I also can't disagree with the idea that fans like songs like "Surf's Up."

I just think Mike and Jeff choosing in 2015, after Foskett flipping from Brian's to Mike's band, and after a C50 tour where "Surf's Up" was nowhere to be seen/heard, that Mike and Jeff doing *THAT* particular song is just tonally wrong and leaves a bad taste. As I said back then, I think as a fan you either immediately understand that feeling, or you don't. You either understand that Jeff leaving Brian and joining Mike and doing "Surf's Up" is different from Mike singing "Kiss Me Baby" or "You're So Good To Me", or you don't.

I don't expect the seven-thumbs-up, "five different touring bands touring at once means more music!" classification of fans to get that feeling.

Closest thing to Mike and Foskett doing "Surf's Up" that I can think of would be, I guess, Al doing a solo show with cheerleaders and singing a heartfelt tribute to George Harrison, "Pisces Brothers." Far from a perfect analogy of course, but that's the closet converse analog I can think of at the moment.

I can't say I understand that feeling to be honest, so I'll respectfully disagree. 
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 09:20:34 AM »

Brian.....Slightly American Music. I just love that song
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 11:07:44 AM »

I have no issue with Mike's band playing songs like Surf's Up and Til I Die. To me, Mike's band is about keeping the music alive and pleasing audiences. Now, would Til I Die go over well at a county fair? Probably not. But in a calmer setting, I'd love to see that thrown in. Tim B did a great job with the vibraphone part and so did Ike with that bassline.

In fact, I'd almost rather see Mike's band play those songs,  than watch Brian relive such a dark time in his live. Perhaps that's why the song is played so rarely.
KDS
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 11:11:56 AM »

I have no issue with Mike's band playing songs like Surf's Up and Til I Die. To me, Mike's band is about keeping the music alive and pleasing audiences. Now, would Til I Die go over well at a county fair? Probably not. But in a calmer setting, I'd love to see that thrown in. Tim B did a great job with the vibraphone part and so did Ike with that bassline.

In fact, I'd almost rather see Mike's band play those songs,  than watch Brian relive such a dark time in his live. Perhaps that's why the song is played so rarely.

At least in recent years, Mike and Bruce only seem to include those songs in theaters, where the setlists tend to be a little more daring than their summer shed / seaside resort shows. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 11:22:39 AM »

In fact, I'd almost rather see Mike's band play those songs,  than watch Brian relive such a dark time in his live. Perhaps that's why the song is played so rarely.

"'Til I Die" was a regular in Brian's setlist from 2000 to 2002. I think once the themed tours took over (Smile, etc.), the song just fell by the wayside. I'm not so sure he doesn't perform it because it's dark.

As for Mike's band performing it, again, it's just a case where the apocryphal/alleged story goes that Mike was not a fan of the song (or at least its themes) back when it was released (e.g. allegedly calling it a "downer", and definitely mentioning in an interview that he didn't approve of the "it kills my soul" line), but now (in my opinion) uses it to capitalize on British/European fans' affinity for the song.

It would be like Lennon adding "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" to a setlist or something.

I give ample credit to Brian for not ever caving and doing "Kokomo" and its ilk. Jardine clearly never liked doing "Kokomo" at his solo gigs, only budging when likely forced to by the venue/promoter/audience and its expectations. Kind of like Billy Joel continuing to do "We Didn't Start the Fire" even though he clearly loathes the song now.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 11:28:07 AM by HeyJude » Logged

KDS
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 11:26:11 AM »

"'Til I Die" was a regular in Brian's setlist from 2000 to 2002. I think once the themed tours took over (Smile, etc.), the song just fell by the wayside. I'm not so sure he doesn't perform it because it's dark.

As for Mike's band performing it, again, it's just a case where the apocryphal/alleged story goes that Mike was not a fan of the song (or at least its themes) back when it was released (e.g. allegedly calling it a "downer", and definitely mentioning in an interview that he didn't approve of the "it kills my soul" line), but now (in my opinion) uses it to capitalize on British/European fans' affinity for the song.

It would be like Lennon adding "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" to a setlist or something.

I think Mike and Bruce performing Til I Die and/or Surf's Up sure beats the alternative of not having those songs played. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 11:33:49 AM »

I think Mike and Bruce performing Til I Die and/or Surf's Up sure beats the alternative of not having those songs played. 

In another context, perhaps yes. Not in that context. In my opinion obviously. It's not like these songs are otherwise dying a death in obscurity, especially "Surf's Up."

I keep trying to think of more analogies, but it's difficult because Mike's position in relation to these particular songs is relatively unique among rock bands. It's not super often that a main member of a band has such a complicated, sort of antagonistic relationship with their own music. Add to that this same member using the *band's* name to tour, and in the last five years doing so *to the exclusion* of other living, able members, and *that's* some of the context I'm talking about.

Mike doesn't want to tour with Brian or Al. But he'll gladly use *their* songs to make his show more credible, for instance, with a UK audience. 

KDS
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 11:36:58 AM »

In another context, perhaps yes. Not in that context. In my opinion obviously. It's not like these songs are otherwise dying a death in obscurity, especially "Surf's Up."

I keep trying to think of more analogies, but it's difficult because Mike's position in relation to these particular songs is relatively unique among rock bands. It's not super often that a main member of a band has such a complicated, sort of antagonistic relationship with their own music. Add to that this same member using the *band's* name to tour, and in the last five years doing so *to the exclusion* of other living, able members, and *that's* some of the context I'm talking about.

Mike doesn't want to tour with Brian or Al. But he'll gladly use *their* songs to make his show more credible, for instance, with a UK audience. 

To me, Mike's biggest sin in this case is not playing the songs to US audiences.  Some of us in Surfin USA want to hear some of the deep cuts he includes in the UK setlists.   I know he won't at the summertime shows, but at least in the theater shows. 
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 12:32:15 PM »

BRIAN:
1) Busy Doin' Nothin'
2) The Little Girl I Once Knew
3) Til I Die

MIKE & BRUCE:
1) Pom Pom Playgirl
2) Surfers Rule
3) Custom Machine

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:33:30 PM by Mike Garneau » Logged
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2017, 12:43:40 PM »

BRIAN

1) Day in the Life of a Tree

2) Pom Pom Play Girl

3) Wind Chimes (smiley smile version )

MIKE

1) Horst Wessel Lied

2) Lords Prayer (backwards)

3) How Do You Solve a problem like Maria?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx