gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:03:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heroes and Villains: 1967 Japanese Single Liner-Notes...  (Read 3416 times)
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »

I was browsing the Internet for information on The Beach Boys' 1967 single-release of their song "Heroes and Villains."  While lost on Google Images; I found something very peculiar: an image of Japanese liner-notes provided with the original 45 RPM release of "Heroes and Villains." The existence of the notes weren't peculiar, but the contents were. I found them on this site: http://www.beachboys45.nl/Japan-Capitol-66-67.htm
Anyways, looking at the notes, I found mention of; not one, not two, but three songs that were meant to be on the discarded and shelved "Smile" LP, including a title that I've never read or seen mentioned anywhere else: "The Bronze Statuette." Yes, really. Here is an image, via attachment, of one of the pages of the liner-notes, and more information about other Beach Boys' Japanese single-releases are on the site that was linked:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:09:54 PM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 02:25:01 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:18:58 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 02:29:53 PM »

Shocked

Can anyone translate the whole thing?
If you'd zoom in on the attachment, you could read some of the song-selections in bold, in English.
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 02:45:48 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:18:53 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 02:51:26 PM »

Shocked

Okay, I'll try.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 02:54:27 PM »

I was browsing the Internet for information on The Beach Boys' 1967 single-release of their song "Heroes and Villains."  While lost on Google Images; I found something very peculiar: an image of Japanese liner-notes provided with the original 45 RPM release of "Heroes and Villains." The existence of the notes weren't peculiar, but the contents were. I found them on this site: http://www.beachboys45.nl/Japan-Capitol-66-67.htm
Anyways, looking at the notes, I found mention of; not one, not two, but three songs that were meant to be on the discarded and shelved "Smile" LP, including a title that I've never read or seen mentioned anywhere else: "The Bronze Statuette." Yes, really. Here is an image, via attachment, of one of the pages of the liner-notes, and more information about other Beach Boys' Japanese single-releases are on the site that was linked:

That 'title' is apprently a name of a prize given to them by a German magazine, not a song title.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:55:07 PM by Watamushi (Polly Poller) » Logged
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 02:54:50 PM »

Shocked

If you'd zoom in on the attachment, you could read some of the song-selections in bold, in English.

Well I mean yeah, I can see those, but I'm curious to know what the context for them is
Accidental-post.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:55:54 PM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 02:55:19 PM »

That 'title' is apprently a name of a prize given to them, not a song title.
Oh, okay! That makes much more sense!
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 03:14:48 PM »

At least we know what's on the Brian Dumb Angel reel from the other thread now.

1) Look vocal session

2) Heroes & Villians Jan 67 version with I'm In Great Shape

3) Surfs Up part 2

4) The Bronze Statuette tracking session takes 1 - 5 

All we need to do now is track down the fabled Bronze Statuette vocal sessions and we'll be sorted.

East,  west, we always got them confused..........
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 03:27:42 PM »

"Hey Hal, I want you to make that snare sound just like a Ming vase"
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 03:32:56 PM »

"Beautiful,  beautiful, sounds just like pottery. Frankie, remember to come in with that gong"
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 03:35:12 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:18:48 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 04:27:23 PM »

Guys, I won't be tolerating offhand jokes on this thread anymore. We need to be talking about more pressing matters... like the contents of an uncovered manuscript that supposedly detail Mike Love's original 1966 lyrics to "The Elements: Water":

"Way back when well our master plan
Was havin' fun fun fun as america's band
Well we came out rockin' with rhonda and barbara ann
Singin' of surf and sand

Now when we look back over all the fun we had
If our lifestyle's over now it sure is sad
We gotta get back to livin' without a care
Give me sunshine water and an ozone layer

Paradise is a state of mind
Where mother nature nurtures and man is kind
We need a change now wouldn't it be nice
If we could bring back summer

Get us back our summer
Summer in paradise
(paradise)
Summer in paradise (paradise)

They chop down the forests
And in their haste leave a trail of destruction
And toxic waste is leavin' no one safe
In their home or their habitat
Can't let it go like that

Too much consumption and too much greed
When you consider all the people
That are livin' in need
Interdependence in this world is a natural fact
And we're all under attack

It's the eve of destruction or so they say
But mankind doesn't have to go that way
If we all get together we can make things right
And we can bring back summer

Get us back our summer
Summer in paradise
(paradise)
Summer in paradise

Surfers recycle now don't you know
Like evryone from california to kokomo
We're gonna keep on rockin'
And raisin' world consciousness
We gotta fix this mess

Looked in the future and what I saw
Was a world in harmony with natural law
There's trouble now but it will be alright if we can

Bring back summer
Get us back our summer
Summer in paradise

Summer in paradise

Summer in paradise

Summer in paradise

Summer in paradise."

*sniffles*, now that's songwriting...
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 06:46:58 PM »

Don't forget to add Do A Lot with toothbrush & running water sounds, With Me Tonight with Bag of Tricks percussion, and that one song Brian destroyed in the 70s after screaming "THAT'S BETWEEN ME AND GOD"
Gosh darn it I want to hear that "Song of God" so badly...
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 07:33:47 PM »

Don't forget to add Do A Lot with toothbrush & running water sounds, With Me Tonight with Bag of Tricks percussion, and that one song Brian destroyed in the 70s after screaming "THAT'S BETWEEN ME AND GOD"
Gosh darn it I want to hear that "Song of God" so badly...

Too bad it never existed!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 02:32:06 AM »

Here's the translation of the liner-notes by Watamushi. Sorry if there were some mistakes, since I'm not a professional translator:

Here's the long-awaited new disc from the Beach Boys. Since their previous single 'Good Vibrations' was released last October in the us, this new single, 'Heroes And Villains', which was released last July in the us, is the first one in nine months. And this is the very first single from Brother Records, which was established by The Beach Boys. (However, this single has been sold through the commercial network of Capitol).
 Their worldwide huge success has been very remarkable since last year.  Britain musical press New Musical Express selected them as world's top group, Disc & Music Echo awarded 'Good Vibrations' as the best disc of the year, German magazine Bravo Magazine awarded the Boys as 'The Bronze Statuette', which has been also given to people like Rock Hudson, Doris Day and Sean Connery, and on a poll held by Irish magazine New Spotlight, they were selected as the world's best group, and in MIDEM, a trader fair of record companies held in Cannes, France, they were acknowledged as the best-sold American group. Plus, this year, they've set up a movie company Home Movies and a record company called Brother records, and they're now burning with their desire to make new sound on their own.

☆Heroes And Villains
 This long-awaited new disc from the Beach Boys, which made its first appearance on Billboard Hot 100 chart at #61, presents their new sound, which is different from the sound heard on 'Good Vibrations'. There's some instrumentation reminding us of the old 'Amusment Parks USA', and there's even a barbershop-style and a choir-like chorus. They all sound like showing the Boy's limitless potential.
This was co-written by Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks, who are also in charge of songwriting on upcoming LP SMiLE. Also, Van Dyke has been paid attention as a rising songwriter, and has written some hits like Harper's Bizarre's Come to the Sunshine on his own. In addition, it's been announced that SMiLE will include songs like 'Surf's Up', 'Wonderful', 'Do You Like Worms?', 'Wind Chimes', 'Vega-Tables', 'Cabin-Essence'.

☆You're Welcome
This song, whose music and lyrics were written by Brian Wilson, just has a simple lyric: 'Well, You're Welcome To Come'.

Both side of the record was produced by all The Beach Boys' members, and engineered by Ken Lockard.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 05:32:12 AM by Watamushi (Polly Poller) » Logged
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 04:42:08 AM »

Wow, many thanks for the translation. I've had a copy of this 45 for years, and have long wondered what the liner notes refer to (I think I posted a request for a translation on the old Smile Shop board, to no avail). I always assumed that "the bronze statuette" might have been a reference to the old Brother Records logo, so it's nice to have that cleared up.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 06:02:30 AM »

What was the release date on this 45 in Japan, and are the liner notes credited to a specific writer?
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 05:52:10 AM »

What was the release date on this 45 in Japan, and are the liner notes credited to a specific writer?
It was released in September, 1967, and it's credited to Tsuneo Omori, who is, according to my quick google search, known as a music critic and radio personality.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 05:52:49 AM by Watamushi (Polly Poller) » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 06:37:28 AM »

Smiley Smile was released Sep 18 in the USA, so presumably these liner notes were written before then - if the Apan Heroes single was released early to mid September then the liner notes were probably written several weeks before, so likely in August.  Still by then Smiley Smile should have been on the Capitol release schedule and you would think the author of the notes would have realized the album was not going to be called Smile.  But then no one (at least critics/writers not in the Beach Boys circle) realized that Smiley Smile was going to be a different animal than the previously announced Smile until it was released.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx