-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:15:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  13-year-old guitarist from Kabul invited to meet Beach Boys’ Brian Wilson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 13-year-old guitarist from Kabul invited to meet Beach Boys’ Brian Wilson  (Read 14300 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: September 26, 2017, 06:24:35 AM »

Saw this on Brian's facebook site:

13-year-old guitarist from Kabul invited to meet Beach Boys’ Brian Wilson in Costa Mesa, but she’s been denied U.S. visa

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/09/25/13-year-old-guitarist-from-kabul-invited-to-meet-beach-boys-brian-wilson-but-shes-been-turned-down-twice-for-u-s-visa/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 06:40:04 AM »

Following my initial angry outburst (wisely deleted), I just feel incredibly sad that things have come this far...   
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 07:32:34 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 07:47:02 AM »

That's just really sad.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 07:53:38 AM »

I read Brian's FB post shortly after it went online. I was shocked by some of the comments, actually wishing ill for Brian for inviting the girl. Those comments have since been deleted. But most of the comments there are negative.
Ultimately the only way to bring peace is to engage in bridge building between different cultures. Bless Brian and Melinda for the gesture.
Probably the only way they can meet is to go to a neutral country that both can get to without problems. Perhaps the reason they wanted her to go to California was so that she could meet the Wilson family and have a nice California experience.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 08:01:44 AM »

Just so damn mean spirited..... Cry

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 03:43:43 PM »

People get denied visas all the time. I'm sure requests to meet Brian get denied all the time. Cheap political piece.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 04:45:10 PM »

This is the same girl from the video posted last month.
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25412.msg618184.html#msg618184

ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 06:43:54 PM »

People get denied visas all the time. I'm sure requests to meet Brian get denied all the time. Cheap political piece.
Way to be a team player champ.  How would you feel if you were in a foreign land, thought you had the chance to meet Brian Wilson, and then found out you couldn't meet him because some randos in the White House decided that you were too much of a risk to fly to California?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 06:48:50 PM »

Way to be a team player champ.  How would you feel if you were in a foreign land, thought you had the chance to meet Brian Wilson, and then found out you couldn't meet him because some randos in the White House decided that you were too much of a risk to fly to California?

Exactly.

Sometimes I wish my stroke had finished off, because this country is getting really fucking ugly+

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 07:04:09 PM »

Nah, we you Billy!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 07:15:34 PM »

I'm unclear. Are you saying it's a good thing the visa was denied in this case?
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 07:28:45 PM »

There's a difference between being political and showing some basic human decency..

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 08:13:23 PM »

The cynic in me says things would be different if she was a swimsuit model.  Wink

Seriously though, what Brian needs is a direct link to Trump.

Paging Mike Love. Banana
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 09:05:19 AM »

I'm sure requests to meet Brian get denied all the time. Cheap political piece.

This was no request to visit Brian but an invitation by him and Melinda.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 12:18:41 PM »

Exactly.
Well, probably not to happy. So because I want to do something the laws should be bent to accommodate me? You disagree with a point and have to add name calling as well. Sad.
Sometimes I wish my stroke had finished off, because this country is getting really fucking ugly+
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 01:27:11 PM »

Well, probably not to happy. So because I want to do something the laws should be bent to accommodate me? You disagree with a point and have to add name calling as well. Sad.
I only added "champ" to emphasize the point that I think you were in the minority opinion on this one, I did not mean to personally insult you.  Sorry.

As for your point of having the laws bent to accommodate you/me, I guess we have to agree to disagree with that.  I will ask, do you at least sympathize/empathize with the young lady in the article?
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 01:46:40 PM »

I only added "champ" to emphasize the point that I think you were in the minority opinion on this one, I did not mean to personally insult you.  Sorry.

As for your point of having the laws bent to accommodate you/me, I guess we have to agree to disagree with that.  I will ask, do you at least sympathize/empathize with the young lady in the article?
Oh, I was just barking at you. I guess champ isn't such a bad name. I guess I could sympathize with the girl wanting to meet Brian. How about that! An almost civil exchange!!!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 02:08:37 PM »

Scandalous. Not only for the visa thing (which to some extent can be understood given circumstances I'm not familiar with), however when alleged Beach Boys fans who allegedly support Brian Wilson and most likely sing along to the song "Love and Mercy" at his concerts, when they take to threatening Brian or his invited guest, then they are the scum of this Earth.

And we all know they voted Trump. Despicable, racist, mouth-breathing imbeciles and dotards the whole lot of them.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 02:19:37 PM »

Nail on the head

joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 04:13:14 PM »

Scandalous. Not only for the visa thing (which to some extent can be understood given circumstances I'm not familiar with), however when alleged Beach Boys fans who allegedly support Brian Wilson and most likely sing along to the song "Love and Mercy" at his concerts, when they take to threatening Brian or his invited guest, then they are the scum of this Earth.

And we all know they voted Trump. Despicable, racist, mouth-breathing imbeciles and dotards the whole lot of them.
Not sure I get your post's meaning but but calling people racist without evidence loses you the argument.
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 05:26:06 PM »

just been reading that comments thread on Brian's facebook.  Angry Angry

Bang goes the theory that it's only Mike's side of the fans that includes bigots.  Cry

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 07:18:31 PM »

Not sure I get your post's meaning but but calling people racist without evidence loses you the argument.

Yeah. Just because they voted for a racist who has racists in his cabinet doesn't meant that THEY are racists! Actually I'm only half joking as I do know people who voted for him that aren't racist,  but it's hard not to lump everybody together when they support the KKK -endorsed president

But this just veered into sandbox territory. ...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 07:25:51 PM »

just been reading that comments thread on Brian's facebook.  Angry Angry

Bang goes the theory that it's only Mike's side of the fans that includes bigots.  Cry

Yeah I saw some of that and got so angry I threw my phone down. I thought I broke it but it's working, so what the sh*t, right?

I'm a tolerant person, but I am VERY prejudiced. ..can't stand racists or homophobes,  or child molesters for that matter. I'd string 'em up and beat the holy hell out of them. Oh, someone committed a hate crime? Let me at them, I'll show them what hate really is.

Oh, and I'm not too fond of cockroaches,  either. Or Andrew Doe...guess that's the same thing,  though.

But yeah, other than that, I'm tolerant.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 07:27:48 PM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 07:27:48 PM »

Some choice comments from Brian's Facebook page.

"WHY DAM GUYS she a terrorist , that gittar is loaded with c-4 and a timed detonater just waiting for a lonely service man to touch it off , next line of crap please"

"What if this girl is simply a terror plot to kill Brian Wilson? I'm sorry, but I'm not sure if people from Kabul use "Love & Mercy" as inspirational music. I'm not political, but at the same time I don't buy this."

"Sorry. Maybe later. Or hes rich he can go there. PS this is a bs agenda as its the same plan as Obama."

"sure let her come visit... so her parents can blow up an airport or a train station"

But this isn't about racism at all, right?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 07:29:35 PM »

Some choice comments from Brian's Facebook page.

"WHY DAM GUYS she a terrorist , that gittar is loaded with c-4 and a timed detonater just waiting for a lonely service man to touch it off , next line of crap please"

"What if this girl is simply a terror plot to kill Brian Wilson? I'm sorry, but I'm not sure if people from Kabul use "Love & Mercy" as inspirational music. I'm not political, but at the same time I don't buy this."

"Sorry. Maybe later. Or hes rich he can go there. PS this is a bs agenda as its the same plan as Obama."

"sure let her come visit... so her parents can blow up an airport or a train station"

But this isn't about racism at all, right?

Fucking hell.

I think this is going to be a Sandbox thread soon, but the people that posted those comments have a special spot in hell waiting for them.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: