gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:58:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How much of Smiley Smile was really recorded at Brian's home?  (Read 1752 times)
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2017, 11:21:53 PM »

So Smiley Smile was the first album recorded in Brian's home studio. To my ears though, the reverb and delay on tracks like Wind Chimes sound like they were  processed in the studio. The way the reverb is controlled doesn't siund like the result of recording in an empty swimming pool.

I'll accept some of the instrumentation was recorded at home, but even this sounds more polished and controlled soundwise than the Wild Honey tracks.

So I think Wild Honey, a mainly home recording.

Smiley Smile, mainly studio

However, this info is on Wikipedia

Recording capabilities at Brian Wilson's Los Angeles residence were made possible by The Beach Boys and Stephen Desper in the midst of recording Smiley Smile in mid-1967. For the first few months of operation, the makeshift studio was installed with a Gates Dualux radio broadcasting console as the quick recording of Smiley Smile didn't allow enough time to acquire a conventional mixing board.

I'm interested in the reverb and delay differences between SS and WH. I'm hoping Stephen Desper can chime in with some info regarding the sonic differences between the two albums.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 11:48:50 PM by Hickory Violet Part IV » Logged
Vale
Smiley Smile Associate

Drink a little drip drip drip drip drink a little

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 01:15:29 AM »

Except GV and HV, these tracks were recorded in Brian's home studio I think, tracks like Little Pad or Gettin' Hungry, they sounds "flat" with no reverb.
By the way, I suppose some sessions/tracks/part-of-tracks were taken from the original smile studio tapes and then rearranged.

Wild Honey is mostly from Brian's home in Bel Air, that's why it's consiered a lo-fi album. They wanted to bring back the mood of that specific period, that is to be united around Brian at home; to me, a clear example of that "mood" is the cover of the album who is a part of Brian's window.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:08:34 AM by Vale » Logged

The Beach Boys' music and history have marked the most important stages of my life so far.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 01:48:56 AM »

I know about the Smile fly ins. I'm talking about the actual Smiley recordings. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Listening to Sea of Tunes, it's all recorded dry. Listen to track 13. Wind Chimes. Dennis's vox in particular.  On the mono album heavy reverb has been added to that bit.

So was Smiley recorded at home then mixed at a studio where effects were added?
Vale
Smiley Smile Associate

Drink a little drip drip drip drip drink a little

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 02:01:40 AM »

No no my fault I misunderstood.
You're right about SOT, I remember it sounds different from other previous sessions. I do not listen to those sessions for a while, though. I'll check later tonight.

The Beach Boys' music and history have marked the most important stages of my life so far.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 03:23:14 AM »

No no my fault I misunderstood.
You're right about SOT, I remember it sounds different from other previous sessions. I do not listen to those sessions for a while, though. I'll check later tonight.

No, it was me not being clear.  LOL
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx