gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:04:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: = Playback =  (Read 18456 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2017, 10:43:09 PM »

If you listen to the lyrics of MJ, apparently her name is Jeanine Apples.  WTF

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2017, 07:28:03 AM »

I like the mix, and like *most* of Brian's vocals...but not so much the songs; the rest after San Francisco IMHO is unlistenable. Hold Back Time may just be the worst song Brian's ever been involved with on some level.

I read somewhere a ways back that there was some sort of rumor that they "accidentally" used a guide vocal/rough take of "Hold Back Time."

How they would accidentally mix and master an earlier version of the song and it would make it to release is something I can't explain.

It could very well be a weird little-cited urban legend based on Brian's vocal syncing on that song being weirdly off.

But it's interesting to think of the possibility that a more polished version of the song is laying around somewhere in the vaults.

When OCA first came out, I wasn't that into it. The title track was nice, but the whole thing was so weird and non-Brian-like, I never initially gave it a *ton* of listens. Then as time went on, I grew to really like it. I have mixed feelings about VDP's drenched-in-nostalgia lyrics. Very literate (obviously), and as Elvis Costello has alluded to, VDP's lyrics almost always *sound* good when sung, in terms of meter, etc.

But it's Brian's vocal stacks that I love most on the album. Even with some harmonizer/synthesizer sort of aid, his (and/or VDP's, I guess it's not entire clear) vocal arrangements and performances are stunning.

I also think it's really interesting to hear Brian sing an entire album of *new* music, but written by someone else. Even with his sort of whiney, crazed-sounding voice, his vocals on OCA are at times full of energy and enthusiasm if nothing else.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2017, 07:34:51 AM »

I like the mix, and like *most* of Brian's vocals...but not so much the songs; the rest after San Francisco IMHO is unlistenable. Hold Back Time may just be the worst song Brian's ever been involved with on some level.
The song is fine, but Brian's and Danny Hutton's vocals seem somewhat out of sync with each other. If there is a weak song on that album, it's My Jeanine. But I don't hate it. OCA is my favorite Brian "solo" album (yeah, I know it's not really solo, but it's not Beach Boys, so I put it in the solo category).

I count OCA as a Brian solo album. Other than the instrumental, it's all Brian singing the leads.

Perhaps the closest analog to the album in the BB solo album catalog might just be "Looking Back With Love", as that's a Mike album with weirdly almost no Mike songwriting input. Granted, several songs are covers, but it's a bit similar to OCA in the most basic sense that it's a solo BB singing songs written by others.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2017, 09:07:12 AM »

Did Playback chart?
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2017, 11:46:16 AM »

Did Playback chart?

No.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2017, 01:29:54 PM »

I read somewhere a ways back that there was some sort of rumor that they "accidentally" used a guide vocal/rough take of "Hold Back Time."

How they would accidentally mix and master an earlier version of the song and it would make it to release is something I can't explain.

It could very well be a weird little-cited urban legend based on Brian's vocal syncing on that song being weirdly off.

But it's interesting to think of the possibility that a more polished version of the song is laying around somewhere in the vaults.

When OCA first came out, I wasn't that into it. The title track was nice, but the whole thing was so weird and non-Brian-like, I never initially gave it a *ton* of listens. Then as time went on, I grew to really like it. I have mixed feelings about VDP's drenched-in-nostalgia lyrics. Very literate (obviously), and as Elvis Costello has alluded to, VDP's lyrics almost always *sound* good when sung, in terms of meter, etc.

But it's Brian's vocal stacks that I love most on the album. Even with some harmonizer/synthesizer sort of aid, his (and/or VDP's, I guess it's not entire clear) vocal arrangements and performances are stunning.

I also think it's really interesting to hear Brian sing an entire album of *new* music, but written by someone else. Even with his sort of whiney, crazed-sounding voice, his vocals on OCA are at times full of energy and enthusiasm if nothing else.

I love the production but it's a rare case for me where the lyrics are so hideously cutesy and self important that it does unnatural things to my mood . The vocal arrangements though are brilliant.

I do wish the released version of the title track had been more like the won-won-wonderful version on the Don was documentary,  because this one Imho is ter-ter-terrible.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2017, 07:01:53 PM »

Good interviews about Playback. Brian's very animated.

http://www.brianwilson.com/#overview
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2017, 03:22:58 AM »

Good interviews about Playback. Brian's very animated.

http://www.brianwilson.com/#overview

It's heartwarming to see Brian so outgoing and enthusiastic. Thanks, Amy.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2017, 11:31:01 PM »

If you listen to the lyrics of MJ, apparently her name is Jeanine Apples.  WTF
LOL LOL LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: