gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:54:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: = Playback =  (Read 18459 times)
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2017, 02:43:40 PM »

I'm surprised Your Imagination wasn't included on Playback. I used to hear it on the piped in music at my local CVS pharmacy all the time, made me think it was more popular than it was.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2017, 10:34:59 AM »

I'm surprised Your Imagination wasn't included on Playback. I used to hear it on the piped in music at my local CVS pharmacy all the time, made me think it was more popular than it was.
I've heard it there, too. I never heard any Brian solo songs on actual radio stations, but I might have heard one of the Xmas songs on in-store music several years ago.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2017, 11:24:19 AM »

That’s probably exactly why it wasn’t included on the set haha. I love ‘Your Imagination’ but the AC production and subject matter make it a shoe-in for constant play in department/grocery stores. I think that’s why the more serious songs from Imagination were the only ones from that album to make it on this set.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2017, 01:00:15 PM »

That’s probably exactly why it wasn’t included on the set haha. I love ‘Your Imagination’ but the AC production and subject matter make it a shoe-in for constant play in department/grocery stores. I think that’s why the more serious songs from Imagination were the only ones from that album to make it on this set.

"Your Imagination" is possibly the only BW solo track I still listen to outside NPP. I like to think of myself as a Brian Wilson fan, but I'm completely non-plussed by any of his work after about 1970. It's disconcerting, frankly.

Every once in a while I go back thru the solo catalog trying to find something I'd like to listen to again.  I pause on "Your Imagination," fantasizing about a more modern production, then skip, skip, skip my way to tracks like "Sail Away" and the brilliant intro (and ONLY the intro) to "Our Special Love."

If I were ever to buy Playback, it would be for "Run James Run." But that's on Spotify, so...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2017, 01:18:32 PM »

"Your Imagination" should be on there, and it's non-appearance is likely due to nothing more than not picking it. It died a quick death in 1998. Playing in elevators hasn't overexposed it.

But it's objectively one of the best tracks Brian has released solo. I don't even think the production on that particular track is that bad. I could do without the woodwinds perhaps, but it actually has punchy drums and even some actual electric guitar punching through.

I'm hard pressed to pick more than a half dozen or so songs on the CD that deserve a place more than it. Certainly "Your Imagination" is preferable based on every standard (better song, better performance, better for entry-level fans, etc.) than something like the utterly boring, rote "The First Time."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2017, 08:04:55 PM »

I think the real treat of this anthology is the release of "This Isn't Love" -- when I was a kid, this song stuck in my head like crazy. It wasn't available online, besides on a limited (and relatively unavailable) release of Live at Roxy. That's definitely a worth it for me.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2017, 09:20:11 PM »

Some other songs I would have liked to see included:
"This Song Wants to Sleep With You Tonight" - B-Side of "Do It Again" in the UK 1995, never officially released in the US.
"Live Let Live" - from the nature documentary Arctic Tale, different Van Dyke Parks lyrics and I think superior to the album version.
"What Love Can Do" - Co-written with Burt Bacharach, featured on a Various Artists comp of the same name but never on an official BW album.
"Everything I Need" - Written with Tony Asher, recorded with Carnie and Wendy, re-recorded for The Wilsons album but the unreleased original is superior.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2017, 06:36:25 AM »

I think the real treat of this anthology is the release of "This Isn't Love" -- when I was a kid, this song stuck in my head like crazy. It wasn't available online, besides on a limited (and relatively unavailable) release of Live at Roxy. That's definitely a worth it for me.

While the initial 2000 release of "Live at the Roxy Theatre" was indeed relatively obscure in that it wasn't in shops and had to be ordered online directly from BriMel, it was eventually picked up by Oglio for distribution in the US and was available at record stores, etc., and also got UK distribution and in other territories. The Roxy album actually ended up being one of the most "reissued" albums with numerous variations. There was the original release, then the Oglio set added some bonus tracks, and then as I recall the UK and/or Japan versions added different bonus tracks as well. There was also a "DVD Audio" release of the album in high-rez 5.1. So I think there were at least around five versions of it.

"This Isn't Love" certainly is more *interesting* than "The First Time", though I don't think either track particularly belongs on a single-disc "Best of" set. Both tracks, both now and especially back in 2000, kind of struck me as a case of Brian having a bit of writer's block at that moment in time and resurrecting two old B-list songs to tout as "new" songs for those Roxy shows/album. I think he even admitted (either on the album or in an interview) that he found "The First Time" in a briefcase of old material, or something along those lines. Indeed, there exists a circa 1983 demo of "The First Time" that is just as "meh" as the Roxy version.

I think the Roxy album *is* an important album in the context of Brian's solo career; I would have just picked one of the better back catalog selections from that album for "Playback." Maybe even the exhilarating show opener, "The Little Girl I Once Knew."
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 06:44:09 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2017, 06:42:36 AM »

Some other songs I would have liked to see included:
"This Song Wants to Sleep With You Tonight" - B-Side of "Do It Again" in the UK 1995, never officially released in the US.
"Live Let Live" - from the nature documentary Arctic Tale, different Van Dyke Parks lyrics and I think superior to the album version.
"What Love Can Do" - Co-written with Burt Bacharach, featured on a Various Artists comp of the same name but never on an official BW album.
"Everything I Need" - Written with Tony Asher, recorded with Carnie and Wendy, re-recorded for The Wilsons album but the unreleased original is superior.

I mentioned it a ways back in a thread when "Playback" was first announced, that a good idea would have been to release "Playback" as-is, and then have either a 2-disc "Deluxe" version or add a second "bonus" disc as a retailer exclusive (e.g. Target or Best Buy) where a second disc could be a catch-all for previously released stuff that didn't make the cut on the first disc (e.g. "Your Imagination"), other rare b-sides and soundtrack songs and things like that (e.g. "Walking Down the Path of Life", "This Song Wants to Sleep With You Tonight"), and other miscellany. Maybe not even delve into much actual "unreleased" stuff, but maybe sprinkle it in there, as a sort of "teaser" for an eventual multi-disc Brian "Rarities" sort of set full of demos and outtakes. With such a disc, though, I'd lean more towards the "hard to find" stuff rather than one-off soundtrack or multi-artist compilation tracks that are still pretty easy to find (e.g. "Wanderlust", "What Love Can Do", etc.)

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2017, 05:53:30 AM »

Was the promo by Rhino shared here already?

https://youtu.be/x9OifqO-CQ8

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:20:01 PM by STE » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2017, 07:50:55 AM »

There's also a new, very basic, promo clip for Love and Mercy (the song) ...

https://youtu.be/2y3J46DhoL0
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2017, 05:40:30 PM »

There's also a new, very basic, promo clip for Love and Mercy (the song) ...

https://youtu.be/2y3J46DhoL0

Thanks for the link, but this is not new. I recorded this with my VCR purely by chance around 1990, here in Australia on a Saturday morning video show called "rage". It originates from 1988!

Great to finally have it in pristine quality though!

Thanks again.

PS. I'm now hoping (wishing, praying - it might come true!) for a "playback" video release, perhaps not all 18 tracks ("Rio Grande" might be a stretch), maybe even some tracks not on the CD. Obviously not going to happen, but how good would it be to have 10-12 video clips compiled - there's already ample live material released. How many "video clips" has Brian had over the years (for studio singles) anyway?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2017, 08:54:10 PM »

Rhino also posted this low budget stop motion video for "Heroes and Villains" from around the time of the 2004 Smile release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uRy-mUIyMc

Not that great, I think it was one of those fan competition videos. 
The animated one for the Beach Boys Smile Sessions version was better (but also fanmade and low budget).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptxwWt2JeGQ

wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2017, 04:35:11 AM »

Wanderlust is a nice song that could of been added.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2017, 07:13:47 AM »

Wanderlust is a nice song that could of been added.

It's a good cover, but it's still readily available on the "Art of McCartney" set, and I don't think it's among Brian's absolute best work. It also would probably cost more to license the recording for the set, and would also be less songwriting royalties for Brian.

Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2017, 12:37:03 AM »

I wish MAD had a proper lead vocal, it sounds like a demo at best. I cannot play what is a really good song to casual listeners due to the poor 'who allowed thar' vocal. Imagine if it had the lead vocal of COTW ! ? I wish Brian could re-cut it.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2017, 06:40:22 AM »

Looks like Rhino has put out a little "EPK" style video for "Playback", specifically focusing on the BW '88 album. Looks like new interviews with Brian and Andy Paley. Would love a full-length doc with this sort of focus, or at least something longer.

Brian comments on several songs, mentioning that Jeff Lynne wrote the words for "Let It Shine" while he (Brian) wrote the melody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqdThRj7SQk

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2017, 08:13:21 AM »

I wish MAD had a proper lead vocal, it sounds like a demo at best. I cannot play what is a really good song to casual listeners due to the poor 'who allowed thar' vocal. Imagine if it had the lead vocal of COTW ! ? I wish Brian could re-cut it.

I actually agree. I have to admit, I'm not really a fan of the vocals on That Lucky Old Sun. I think that much his work since has been a lot better, especially stuff like "Colors of the Wind", "Summer's Gone", "Whatever Happened" and others.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2017, 08:19:44 AM »

If I’m not mistaken, I’m pretty sure that Brian’s lead vocal on MAD was from the demo version...the demo version, while not polished, has background vocals all or mostly by Brian and it is infinitely better than the album version for that reason.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2017, 08:34:13 AM »

What the hell? That vocal is stunning. One of Brian’s best since the 60s.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2017, 11:41:20 AM »

The "Midnight's Another Day" vocal is what Brian sounds like. It's honest. (I think, while autotune is not applied to the entire song, I suspect it may have been implemented on a few key long, high, held notes).

There *is* something more poignant about the early version where Brian does most of the backing vocals himself.

But either version, that's Brian. That's what he sounds like. That's him.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2017, 12:53:09 PM »

I personally actually in many ways preferred the circa 1995 "IJWMFTT/Orange Crate Art/Original Paley Sessions" Brian voice. While it was kind of whiney and gruff, it always sounded more on key and had more gusto behind it compared to the much smoother 1998-present voice that sometimes sounds great, and other times kind of sounds sleepy and, at various times in concerts, sometimes pretty shaky and wonky.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2017, 01:45:14 PM »

I personally actually in many ways preferred the circa 1995 "IJWMFTT/Orange Crate Art/Original Paley Sessions" Brian voice. While it was kind of whiney and gruff, it always sounded more on key and had more gusto behind it compared to the much smoother 1998-present voice that sometimes sounds great, and other times kind of sounds sleepy and, at various times in concerts, sometimes pretty shaky and wonky.

I wish OCA had a better mix. I feel like the instrumentals are buried and Brian’s vocals are too loud and all over the mix. I really love this album so I hope it gets a nice anniversary remix sometime.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2017, 02:19:16 PM »

I like the mix, and like *most* of Brian's vocals...but not so much the songs; the rest after San Francisco IMHO is unlistenable. Hold Back Time may just be the worst song Brian's ever been involved with on some level.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2017, 09:45:08 PM »

I like the mix, and like *most* of Brian's vocals...but not so much the songs; the rest after San Francisco IMHO is unlistenable. Hold Back Time may just be the worst song Brian's ever been involved with on some level.
The song is fine, but Brian's and Danny Hutton's vocals seem somewhat out of sync with each other. If there is a weak song on that album, it's My Jeanine. But I don't hate it. OCA is my favorite Brian "solo" album (yeah, I know it's not really solo, but it's not Beach Boys, so I put it in the solo category).
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx