gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:50:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: = Playback =  (Read 18461 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 11:31:23 AM »

Related: The 2000 "deluxe" removed all of Landy's credits, but also omitted the album's dedication to Dennis and Frieda (if I recall correctly).

I know they removed Landy's name from the songwriting credits, but did they retain his name as "Executive Producer" at least inside the booklet of the 2000 CD? I seem to recall that may have been left intact, although moved from the back cover to only the CD booklet.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2017, 11:36:34 AM »

Looking at the "Playback" CD booklet, and "Run James Run" is credited as being "Produced by Brian Wilson and Joe Thomas." So, assuming Joe wasn't at the sessions for the song earlier this year (it seems sort of unclear, but I think the implication is that Brian and Joe haven't done much together since the middle of the NPP sessions in 2014/2015?), it would seem to indicate that they used the "NPP" sessions version of the song as the basis for this released version. Which all makes sense to me, that the main thing they needed to do was wipe Al's lead off and record Brian's.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 11:46:47 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 11:49:07 AM »

Related: The 2000 "deluxe" removed all of Landy's credits, but also omitted the album's dedication to Dennis and Frieda (if I recall correctly).

I know they removed Landy's name from the songwriting credits, but did they retain his name as "Executive Producer" at least inside the booklet of the 2000 CD? I seem to recall that may have been left intact, although moved from the back cover to only the CD booklet.

I think you're right.  And I'm pretty sure Landy kept his songwriting credits on the 2000 2fer that included BB85.  I know it was a different label, but I just thought that was a bit odd.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 11:52:44 AM »

Looking at the "Playback" CD booklet, and "Run James Run" is credited as being "Produced by Brian Wilson and Joe Thomas." So, assuming Joe wasn't at the sessions for the song earlier this year (it seems sort of unclear, but I think the implication is that Brian and Joe haven't done much together since the middle of the NPP sessions in 2014/2015?), it would seem to indicate that they used the "NPP" sessions version of the song as the basis for this released version. Which all makes sense to me, that the main thing they needed to do was wipe Al's lead off and record Brian's.

Hmm.. if Joe coproduced this track, I wonder if all the complaints about his vocal production techniques influenced him to dial them back?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2017, 11:59:47 AM »

I think you're right.  And I'm pretty sure Landy kept his songwriting credits on the 2000 2fer that included BB85.  I know it was a different label, but I just thought that was a bit odd.

For the 2000 BB '85 two-fer CD, Landy's name was removed from "Crack at Your Love" but remained on "It's Just a Matter of Time" and "I'm So Lonely." No explanation of why, and the only difference between "Crack..." and the other two was that Al was also a co-writer on that one song but not the other two.

I also see reports/posts that for the 2015 vinyl reissue of BB '85, Landy's name was removed from all three songs. His "Special Thanks" credit remained.

The exact timeframe and mechanics of Landy's name being removed from all this stuff is unclear. His name was still on "Love and Mercy" for the 1995 IJWMFTT soundtrack, and it was removed from some but not all items by 2000.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:01:13 PM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2017, 12:03:02 PM »

Hmm.. if Joe coproduced this track, I wonder if all the complaints about his vocal production techniques influenced him to dial them back?

And/or he got a credit simply because the track includes remnants of the sessions he produced circa 2014.

The one thing that seems almost assuredly re-recorded this year for the song is Brian's lead. I'm also unclear if Beck played any guitar specifically on the NPP session for "Run James Run." If he did, that has been wiped for this released 2017 version.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2017, 12:12:50 PM »

Not sure if it's appearing here for the first time or was added for the 2000 reissue, but Brian has an "Arranged by" credit on "Let It Shine" that wasn't there on the original album (at least it wasn't on the '88 issue right alongside the writing and production credits the way it is here on "Playback.")

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2017, 02:32:56 PM »

Of note is that Brian's Flintstones patter remains before "This Isn't Love."
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2017, 04:28:36 PM »

Well......if someone didn't have ANY solo Brian in their collection at all, then this would be a serviceable place to begin. As it is, the sequencing leaves a lot to be desired making for a disjointed listening experience (why not just go chronological? That would've helped) but I suppose in this day and age of iTunes and everyone living in an eternal shuffle mode it hardly matters.

Of course, everyone here has their opinion on what should've been included (2 songs from GIOMH and only one from TLOS?Huh No "Imagination". It was a f**king single!) but I'm guessing this was a licensing issue between Rhino and the various labels Brian's recorded for over the years.

Nice to have the 2 unreleased tracks for hardcores but Brian's solo career deserves better. 
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2017, 05:05:04 PM »

If it were me (and Rhino had deeper pockets)...

1. Let It Shine
2. Melt Away
3. Rio Grande
4. On The Wings Of A Dove
5. Orange Crate Art
6. Love and Mercy (IJWMFTT version)
7. Your Imagination
8. She Says She Needs Me
9. Gettin' In Over My Head
10. Some Sweet Day
11. Live Let Live
12. Midnight's Another Day
13. Nothing But Love
14. The Bare Necessities
15. Sail Away
16. One Kind Of Love
17. Run James Run
18. Surf's Up

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2017, 05:32:23 PM »

As it is, the sequencing leaves a lot to be desired making for a disjointed listening experience (why not just go chronological? That would've helped)

IMHO *all* compilations/best ofs should be chronological...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2017, 06:08:54 PM »

Strange note: This is the first time any of the GiOMH tracks or the Live at the Roxy tracks appeared on Spotify...  Just checked it out today.  It's fine I guess, for a comp.  Wish it included some deeper Brian cuts like What I Really Want for Christmas, Nothin' But Love, and basically more from NPP or Gershwin...  I like the Brian picture on the cover though and the tracks sound great.  Some Sweet Day and Run James Run are a nice bone for us fans.  Wish those Paley Sessions would get a box set...
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2017, 06:34:01 PM »

As it is, the sequencing leaves a lot to be desired making for a disjointed listening experience (why not just go chronological? That would've helped)

Agreed. It's the best and easiest way for new fans to learn about any musician's career.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:35:14 PM by Watamushi (Polly Poller) » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2017, 07:05:41 PM »

All Music has Carl listed as composer on all tracks, not Brian Roll Eyes

http://www.allmusic.com/album/playback-the-brian-wilson-anthology-mw0003069252

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2017, 05:38:27 AM »

Southern California is one of Brian's finest solo moments, top 3 in my opinion.  The fact that it was left off this collection is a huge error on the part of those who compiled the album.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2017, 05:46:13 AM »

100% agree. Elton John's "To be Continued" did this very well for example.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2017, 06:22:59 PM »

If the label gave me the PLAYBACK disc and asked me to make changes (hey, it's my fantasy), here's what I would have done with it..

1. Love and Mercy
2. Walkin' the Line
3. Melt Away
4. Let It Shine
5. Some Sweet Day
6. Your Imagination
7. She Says That She Needs Me
8. Lay Down Burden
9. The First Time
10. Gettin' In Over My Head
11. Saturday Morning in the City
12. Heroes and Villians
13. Surf's Up
14. What I Really Want For Christmas
15. The Like In I Love You
16. Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl
17. Midnight's Another Day
18. Sail Away
19. One Kind Of Love
20. Run James Run
21. Southern California

That's 80 minutes.. As it is, the official disc is a great listen, but I can't help but think casual fans miss out on too many gems.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2017, 07:25:49 PM »

Make it a 3 disc comp!!!

D1
1. Love and Mercy
2. Melt Away
3. Walkin' the Line
4. One For the Boys
5. There's So Many
6. Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight
7. Let It Shine
8. Rio Grande
10. Concert Tonight/Someone to Love
11. Water Builds Up
12. Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel
13. Love Ya
14. Make a Wish
15. The Spirit of Rock and Roll (featuring Bob Dylan)
16. This Song Wants to Sleep With You Tonight
17. Gettin' In Over My Head
18. Saturday Morning In the City
19. Marketplace
20. Some Sweet Day

D2
1. Slightly American Music
2. I'm Broke
3. Proud Mary
4. Your Imagination
5. She Says She Needs Me
6. South American
7. Lay Down Burden
8. Brian Wilson
9. This Isn't Love
10. City Blues
11. A Friend Like You
12. How Could We Still Be Dancing?
13. Do You Like Worms?
14. Cabin Essence
15. Wonderful
16. Surf's Up
17. Heaven
18. Morning Beat
19. Good Kind of Love
20. California Role

D3
1. Mexican Girl
2. Midnight's Another Day
3. Southern California
4. The Like In I Love You
5. Summertime
6. I've Got Rhythm
7. Listen to Me
8. Sail Away
9. The Right Time
10. Guess You Had to Be There
11. On the Island
12. Saturday Night On Hollywood Blvd.
13. The Last Song (with Lana Del Rey-Does a recording with her vocal even exist?)
14. Run James Run
15. Danny Boy (with Jeff Beck)
16. Metropolis (with Jeff Beck)

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2017, 05:42:12 AM »

I tend to agree with this nine times out of ten, but some comps have mixed era with good results IMO

Van Halen - Best of Both Worlds
Pink Floyd - Echoes
The Beach Boys - Sounds of Summer / Warmth of the Sun

But, in general, I like the chronological ones so you can hear the evolution of the band's sound.

Genesis kinda turned that on its ear with their Platinum Collection where they started with I Can't Dance and went backwards to Trespass over three discs (even if Disc 1 confusingly ending with the title track from their final album Calling All Stations). 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2017, 05:52:36 AM »

13. The Last Song (with Lana Del Rey-Does a recording with her vocal even exist?)
Why do many fancy her voice? Did I miss sth. & deep down the boring core there is really truly sth. precious?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2017, 05:55:57 AM »

Why do many fancy her voice? Did I miss sth. & deep down the boring core there is really truly sth. precious?

I have to agree there.  I've only heard a couple of her songs, but her vocal style seems to lack any real emotion.  Frankly, I was released when it was announced Brian was singing lead on The Last Song. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2017, 06:01:58 AM »

That's her schtick: disaffected vaguely (or explicitly) druggy character who's just too cool to care. Like a Nico minus the good songs or collaborators. I'd be interested to hear her version out of curiosity, but she's not a very good singer from what I've heard (several albums) or even an interesting character. I got bored pretty quickly after Video Games.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2017, 06:05:43 AM »

That's her schtick: disaffected vaguely (or explicitly) druggy character who's just too cool to care. Like a Nico minus the good songs or collaborators. I'd be interested to hear her version out of curiosity, but she's not a very good singer from what I've heard (several albums) or even an interesting character. I got bored pretty quickly after Video Games.

Ah, the purposely detached character who doesn't show emotion.  Very hipster.  "Yeah, I'm a pop star, but I don't care about being a pop star." 

Didn't she once say in an interview that she, for lack of a better term, blew her way to the top?  I always assumed that was a bit schtick-y too.   Or, if the story is true, sticky. 
Vale
Smiley Smile Associate

Drink a little drip drip drip drip drink a little

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2017, 06:17:19 AM »

I bought the CD version and the LP.
LP is ok, but sadly I have to notice that the CD version looks very cheap, low quality made package. It would have been more appreciated if it could have had a fuller booklet also.

Anyway I hope they'll continue to release material.
Smiley
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 08:41:37 AM by Vale » Logged

The Beach Boys' music and history have marked the most important stages of my life so far.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2017, 08:43:37 AM »

I bought the CD version and the LP.
LP is ok, but sadly I have to notice that the CD version looks very cheap, low quality made package. It would have been more appreciated if it could have had a fuller booklet also.

Anyway I hope they'll continue to release material.
Smiley

A solo Brian anthology CD isn't going to burn up the charts, so I think it's expected that the package and packaging are going to be pretty standard/minimal. It's fine for what it is. The lavish liner notes and packaging should be saved for a boxed set of Brian rarities/demos/outtakes.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx