gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:17:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: = Playback =  (Read 18454 times)
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2017, 08:26:00 PM »

Looking at the timings of some of the tracks on this compilation, it seems to me that several of the tracks will likely be different to what we have.

The live tracks will need to be edited differently - looks like Brian talking about the Flintstones movie might be a goner!  Sad  [Reminiscent of the 1985 Malibu Emergency Room concert where he talks about royalties derived from David Lee Roth's release of California Girls!]

On the upside, by my reckoning, Midnight's Another Day looks to be 12 seconds or so longer than the previously released version.  Smiley  I don't recall if that was one of the tracks that was "shortened" for the That Lucky Old Sun release, but it would appear so??

Also wondering about the possibility that Soul Searchin' is the original "solo" version sans Carl Wilson vocal. A possibility at least.

Time reveals all!

KDS
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 05:53:13 AM »

Looking at the timings of some of the tracks on this compilation, it seems to me that several of the tracks will likely be different to what we have.

The live tracks will need to be edited differently - looks like Brian talking about the Flintstones movie might be a goner!  Sad  [Reminiscent of the 1985 Malibu Emergency Room concert where he talks about royalties derived from David Lee Roth's release of California Girls!]

On the upside, by my reckoning, Midnight's Another Day looks to be 12 seconds or so longer than the previously released version.  Smiley  I don't recall if that was one of the tracks that was "shortened" for the That Lucky Old Sun release, but it would appear so??

Also wondering about the possibility that Soul Searchin' is the original "solo" version sans Carl Wilson vocal. A possibility at least.

Time reveals all!

Yeah, on compilations that include live tracks, most banter is taken off, unless it's a super short intro. 

I'm pretty sure that Soul Searchin is the GIOMH version, as the only unreleased tracks advertised are Some Sweet Day and Run James Run
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 06:44:08 AM »

Time reveals all!

Especially when we're talking smaller discrepancies in track timings, I wouldn't assume there's anything particularly different on "Playback" compared to the original releases of each respective track. The timings could be slightly off, or just a case of including a bit more of the track's outro that was tacked onto the next track. Or, in the case of the live tracks, I'm sure they'll remove most if not all of the extraneous chatter, as it has no place on a compilation album (it's weird enough that they're sticking live tracks on it in the first place).

While compilations (and even sometimes straight album reissues) can sometimes randomly (either by accident or purposefully) including alternate mixes/edits, I think the general idea with "Playback" is that they're all versions issued previously by Brian.

I think the press release for the album specifically mentions Carl's part on "Soul Searchin'", so I can't imagine why it would be anything other than the GIOMH version.

What I *do* hope is that "Playback" includes the correct mix of "Let It Shine" rather than the incorrect one used on the 2000 CD reissue of BW '88 (I didn't pick up the more recent re-re-issue CDs of BW '88, where I would hope they used the correct mix).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 07:03:52 AM »

Time reveals all!

Especially when we're talking smaller discrepancies in track timings, I wouldn't assume there's anything particularly different on "Playback" compared to the original releases of each respective track. The timings could be slightly off, or just a case of including a bit more of the track's outro that was tacked onto the next track. Or, in the case of the live tracks, I'm sure they'll remove most if not all of the extraneous chatter, as it has no place on a compilation album (it's weird enough that they're sticking live tracks on it in the first place).

While compilations (and even sometimes straight album reissues) can sometimes randomly (either by accident or purposefully) including alternate mixes/edits, I think the general idea with "Playback" is that they're all versions issued previously by Brian.

I think the press release for the album specifically mentions Carl's part on "Soul Searchin'", so I can't imagine why it would be anything other than the GIOMH version.

What I *do* hope is that "Playback" includes the correct mix of "Let It Shine" rather than the incorrect one used on the 2000 CD reissue of BW '88 (I didn't pick up the more recent re-re-issue CDs of BW '88, where I would hope they used the correct mix).
I've read on a certain Japanese BB fan site that latest reissue of BW88 has correct mix for all of the songs, including Let It Shine.... and, according to what I've just checked, except for There's So Many.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:05:15 AM by Watamushi (Polly Poller) » Logged
KDS
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 07:06:11 AM »

Time reveals all!

I've read on a certain Japanese BB fan site that latest reissue of BW88 has correct mix for all of the songs, including Let It Shine.... and, according to what I've just checked, except for There's So Many.

If that's the case, I might have to break down and buy it again as I have the 2000 reissue.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 07:08:02 AM »

It makes sense the new 2015-ish reissues would have the correct mixes (and now that I think about it, someone *may* have confirmed this back when they were issued). Back in 2000, as I recall, Mark Linett prepared fixes for Rhino to put into production, but it was never confirmed whether Rhino went to the trouble of mastering it again with those fixes back in 2000, and if so, how to ID whether a 2000 CD is the old or new version.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 07:12:30 AM »

This was (kinda) released on Apple Music today and the mix for ‘Melt Away’ now includes the fixed harmony in the coda. No more having to play my vinyl to hear it!

That being said, it appears that the Gershwin material through NPP isn’t available on the Apple Music set (even though these albums are available on AM). Doesn’t make any sense to me, hopefully it gets sorted out.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 07:23:56 AM »

This was (kinda) released on Apple Music today and the mix for ‘Melt Away’ now includes the fixed harmony in the coda. No more having to play my vinyl to hear it!

That being said, it appears that the Gershwin material through NPP isn’t available on the Apple Music set (even though these albums are available on AM). Doesn’t make any sense to me, hopefully it gets sorted out.

The purchase-for-download MP3 version on Amazon has those same songs listed as "Album Only":

https://www.amazon.com/Playback-Brian-Wilson-Anthology/dp/B074XP6NR3/ref=sr_1_1_twi_mus_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1506090022&sr=8-1&keywords=brian+wilson+playback

I'm guessing it's just a case of contractual stipulations with those songs; Disney and Capitol may have agreed to license those songs to Rhino/Warner, but only bundled with the full album (physical or download). That way, any revenue for people buying just those individual tracks goes straight to Disney and Capitol respectively via purchasing those songs off of the original albums.

But really people, I stream and download tons of stuff, but the CD is $9.89 on Amazon! Buy the CD! It sounds better than streaming or MP3 options, and you can also stream it and rip it and all of that too.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:24:45 AM by HeyJude » Logged

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 08:02:55 AM »

But really people, I stream and download tons of stuff, but the CD is $9.89 on Amazon! Buy the CD! It sounds better than streaming or MP3 options, and you can also stream it and rip it and all of that too.

Sure, if you happen to have a CD player. I've got two turntables but not a single working CD player. Spotify should have it soon. I'm good.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 08:10:39 AM »

Sure, if you happen to have a CD player. I've got two turntables but not a single working CD player. Spotify should have it soon. I'm good.

16/44.1 Redbook CD is everybody's friend! A well mastered CD beats the glut of mediocre, overpriced vinyl being churned out these days. And certainly better than streaming. I have an iPod Classic, and also stream stuff all the time. But when a new album comes out, it's CD all the way (or maybe SACD or high-rez). 

pobbard
Smiley Smile Associate

My ultimate guilty pleasure

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 08:37:00 AM »

It makes sense the new 2015-ish reissues would have the correct mixes (and now that I think about it, someone *may* have confirmed this back when they were issued). Back in 2000, as I recall, Mark Linett prepared fixes for Rhino to put into production, but it was never confirmed whether Rhino went to the trouble of mastering it again with those fixes back in 2000, and if so, how to ID whether a 2000 CD is the old or new version.
I'm one of the people who sent my BW88 2000 reissue back to Rhino right after it came out and got the "corrected" CD, with the right mixes, right away. So it's been available for a long time. (How to ID a wrong vs. corrected CD, I don't know).
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 08:40:00 AM »

I'm one of the people who sent my BW88 2000 reissue back to Rhino right after it came out and got the "corrected" CD, with the right mixes, right away. So it's been available for a long time. (How to ID a wrong vs. corrected CD, I don't know).

It's almost certainly a moot point now with the 2015 re-re-issue, but I would imagine unless the manufacturer makes an effort to do something to the packaging to let fans know it's the "fixed" version (e.g. some "fixed" Blu-rays have had things like alternate color barcode backgrounds, etc.)), the only way to know would be matrix numbers in the hub of the CD itself.

I never wanted to send back the 2000 CD with the incorrect mixes, because even if they were "missing" things (or in the case of "Let It Shine" just sounded muddier), they were genuine, previously-unreleased alternate mixes (akin to the 1990 "MIU Album" CD) so I think form an historical perspective it's good to have both versions.

KDS
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 08:48:29 AM »

Is this a turn of phrase, or did Rhino actually offer an exchange?  I'm only asking because I hate buying things twice. 
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 08:57:42 AM »

Is this a turn of phrase, or did Rhino actually offer an exchange?  I'm only asking because I hate buying things twice. 
I've read that they offer an exchange, quated from an unknown BB forum.
KDS
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 09:02:53 AM »

I might try to contact them and see.  It's worth a shot, right? 

I did get Capitol to send me a corrected Disc 3 of MiC, even though I bought it two years after the release date.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 09:10:29 AM »

I did get Capitol to send me a corrected Disc 3 of MiC, even though I bought it two years after the release date.

Good luck 17 years later!

Actually, I could picture them just saying "Sure, why not?", and sending you the 2015 disc.

But as I mentioned, for completists and scholars and whatnot, it's worth keeping the alternate mixes. The barebones 2015 disc (as opposed to the "expanded" 2015 disc) is probably pretty cheap. Or, alternatively, you could even just track down a super cheap copy of the original 1988 CD, which was actually mastered just fine and sounds just fine.

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 09:24:06 AM »

Actually, I could picture them just saying "Sure, why not?", and sending you the 2015 disc.

But as I mentioned, for completists and scholars and whatnot, it's worth keeping the alternate mixes. The barebones 2015 disc (as opposed to the "expanded" 2015 disc) is probably pretty cheap. Or, alternatively, you could even just track down a super cheap copy of the original 1988 CD, which was actually mastered just fine and sounds just fine.
For your information, it is reported that there was a reissue of BW88 based on the original CD released around last year here in Japan.
KDS
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 09:29:13 AM »

For your information, it is reported that there was a reissue of BW88 based on the original CD released around last year here in Japan.

Oh, I thought they might've offered exchanges when the 2015 remaster came out.  Oh well.   
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 09:29:34 AM »

And this seems to be that, though I'm not actually sure because I've never got it:https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01B7ZM4E6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=247&creative=7399&creativeASIN=B01B7ZM4E6&linkCode=as2&tag=agttbb-22
KDS
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 09:38:47 AM »

And this seems to be that, though I'm not actually sure because I've never got it:https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01B7ZM4E6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=247&creative=7399&creativeASIN=B01B7ZM4E6&linkCode=as2&tag=agttbb-22

It was released in the US around the same time.   I think they wanted to time it with the L&M movie.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 09:46:28 AM »

In the US (and worldwide most likely), there is:

The original 1988 CD, which went out of print in the 90s at some point

The Rhino 2000 CD reissue with numerous bonus tracks. I guess at some point this went out of print as well, although it likely was never very difficult to find nor expensive.

In 2015, indeed as a tie-in to L&M, they reissued the album again on CD. They offered it in both an album-only CD release as well as the same "deluxe" version with a bunch of bonus tracks. Strangely, whether it was due to trying to stick to each version's original, authentic artwork or, more likely due to laziness/cheapness, the "album only" CD retains the artwork from the original '88 CD (with the Sire logo, etc.), while the expanded version replicates the 2000 Rhino CD artwork.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 09:47:36 AM by HeyJude » Logged

KDS
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 09:48:42 AM »

In the US (and worldwide most likely), there is:

The original 1988 CD, which went out of print in the 90s at some point

The Rhino 2000 CD reissue with numerous bonus tracks. I guess at some point this went out of print as well, although it likely was never very difficult to find nor expensive.

In 2015, indeed as a tie-in to L&M, they reissued the album again on CD. They offered it in both an album-only CD release as well as the same "deluxe" version with a bunch of bonus tracks. Strangely, whether it was due to trying to stick to each version's original, authentic artwork or, more likely due to laziness/cheapness, the "album only" CD retains the artwork from the original '88 CD (with the Sire logo, etc.), while the expanded version replicates the 2000 Rhino CD artwork.

Does the 2015 expanded version with the bonus tracks include the 2000 master of the album.  Or should I just get the "album only" L&M - Rio Grande version of the 2015 version (assuming the bonus tracks are the same). 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 10:15:51 AM »

I don't have the 2015 CDs, so I'm honesty not sure if they're newly remastered. I'm guessing they're either newly remastered, or both work off of the "corrected" 2000 CD master (with the album-only disc simply dropping the bonus tracks).

If you just want all of the correct mixes and already own the 2000 CD with incorrect mixes, the cheapest solution would be to either buy an original '88 CD (as I said, the mastering on that one is quite good) or whatever is the cheapest version of either 2015 CD you can find.

pobbard
Smiley Smile Associate

My ultimate guilty pleasure

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2017, 10:37:40 AM »

Related: The 2000 "deluxe" removed all of Landy's credits, but also omitted the album's dedication to Dennis and Frieda (if I recall correctly).
KDS
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 11:27:55 AM »

I don't have the 2015 CDs, so I'm honesty not sure if they're newly remastered. I'm guessing they're either newly remastered, or both work off of the "corrected" 2000 CD master (with the album-only disc simply dropping the bonus tracks).

If you just want all of the correct mixes and already own the 2000 CD with incorrect mixes, the cheapest solution would be to either buy an original '88 CD (as I said, the mastering on that one is quite good) or whatever is the cheapest version of either 2015 CD you can find.

I might see if I can find an original 88 CD on the cheap. 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx