-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:55:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  RIP J.P. Donleavy (1926-2017)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RIP J.P. Donleavy (1926-2017)  (Read 3359 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2017, 10:43:12 AM »

I would never have known if I hadn't been looking for recent celebrity deaths. J.P. (Mike) Donleavy is one of my all-time favourite authors. I read The Ginger Man first of course----many times, in fact----but his other early novels (A Singular Man, The Beastly Beatitudes of Balthazar B and The Onion Eaters) are all fabulous reads in different ways.

And 91 is a grand age to pop off. Rest in peace, Mr D.   

http://www.newsday.com/news/region-state/j-p-donleavy-author-of-the-ginger-man-dies-at-age-91-1.14167485

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 12:45:49 AM »

RIP JP

I hope the movie gets made of the Ginger Man at some point. Johnny Depp visited quite a few times as far as I know.

My wife used to visit his house as a kid as she was friends with one of his partners kids. He had his own quarters so was rarely seen.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 03:47:05 AM »

RIP JP

I hope the movie gets made of the Ginger Man at some point. Johnny Depp visited quite a few times as far as I know.

My wife used to visit his house as a kid as she was friends with one of his partners kids. He had his own quarters so was rarely seen.

I've often wondered how they might film The Ginger Man. Actually, what I would prefer to see is a biography of its author. The two (?) autobiographical books give his side of the story and a biography by someone who knew him might complete the picture. 

By all accounts J.P. was a very private man. All the same, to have visited his house is quite something in itself. Wow.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 01:55:23 AM »

By a bizarre coincidence, the prizefighter Jake LaMotta died eight days later aged 95. According to Sinéad Gleeson who once visited Donleavy at his home, "On the wall hung a photo [below] of him and Joe Frazier, just before Frazier’s 1971 fight with Muhammad Ali. (Donleavy was once a boxer, and also fought Jake La Motta)."

Source: https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/what-jp-donleavy-did-best-was-the-desperate-melancholy-of-men-in-their-prime-1.3221248

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 04:44:26 AM »

Cheers for that John. Some nice recollections there. This is worth a read too - https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/sep/14/jp-donleavy-obituary
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 04:52:31 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 05:42:06 AM »

Cheers for that John. Some nice recollections there. This is worth a read too - https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/sep/14/jp-donleavy-obituary

It is indeed. Thanks. I see his own favourite was A Singular Man, the first book that had him as the protagonist rather than Crist. I like Crist's roles as Bonniface and Bloodmourn. (Not sure about Beefy's provenance.)

I stopped following JP about halfway through Schultz. The first four novels are fantastic, each in a different way. Fairytale is a notch lower in my opinion but still a great read... 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: