gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:47:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's compile a 12 track "The Worst of the Beach Boys"  (Read 17396 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2017, 07:46:31 PM »

Smart Girls
Summer of Love
Brian's Back
Surfin' (92)
One Summer Night
Hey Little Tomboy
Belles of Paris
Jingle Bell Rock (Mike and Dean)
Spring Vacation
Little GTO (Salute to Nascar)
Sun City (ML and Adrian Baker)
Girls of the World (ML and Adrian Baker)

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2017, 09:18:09 PM »

When I read the thread title Smart Girls immediately came to mind as the all time worst Beach Boys associated song, but then in the orig post I noticed, "Rules: Only band, no solo. Must be officially released."

So my vote as all time worst track released by the Beach Boys goes to Summer of Love. A totally smarmy song made even worse by the fact that the guy singing "Well it's a love thing" has the last name of Love.

Why the members of the band thought this song was a good idea is a mystery to me. Fortunately, for the sake of the Beach Boys' legacy, Summer of Love is not available for download or streaming, but unfortunately the video, featuring all the members of the band, can be seen on YouTube.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 06:00:43 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2017, 11:13:20 PM »

Custom Machine

Ouch!! One of a number of songs listed so far that I actually like a lot.

Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2017, 11:20:42 PM »

The only pre MIU songs I would consider are

When Girls Get Together

and

Deidre (and that's only because Deidre is an old ladies name here in the UK so I can't take it seriously)

But I'd only consider them.  I probably wouldn't include them
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 11:25:15 PM by Hickory Violet Part IV » Logged
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2017, 09:09:49 AM »

Narrowed it down to the "40 Greatest Shits" - needs to be a double CD.  I'm not a big fan of the Jack Reilly and Blondie/Ricky eras.

Beaches in Mind
Bull Session With 'Big Daddy'
Cassius Love vs. Sonny Wilson
Chug-A-Lug
County Fair
Cuckoo Clock
Custom Machine
A Day In The Life Of A Tree
Denny's Drums
Finders Keepers
He Come Down
Here Comes The Night (Disco Version)
Hey, Little Tomboy
Hold On, Dear Brother
Hot Fun In The Summertime
Island Fever
Island Girl
Lady Liberty
Lookin' At Tomorrow
Male Ego
No-Go Showboat
Oh, Darlin'
Our Favorite Recording Sessions
Our Team   
Pom Pom Playgirl
Problem Child
Remember "Walking In The Sand"
She's Goin' Bald
Shortenin' Bread
Slow Summer Dancing (One Summer Night)
Somewhere Near Japan
Strange Things Happen
Summer In Paradise
Surfin' (1992 Version)
Take A Load Off Your Feet
Ten Little Indians
This Car Of Mine
TM Song
Under The Boardwalk
When Girls Get Together

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 09:29:55 AM by petsoundsnola » Logged
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2017, 10:31:01 AM »

Day in the life of a tree?

Pom Pom Play Girl???

Jesus f**king Christ!

The first is Brian at his most painstakingly honest,.......and that organ! Just sublime....

Tte second, I mean, come on. Listen to those harmonies and modulations. This song is everything that is GREAT about the Beach Boys!

I'm truly shocked.  LOL

Might make me a list of the 12 crappest Beach Boys fans

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:33:03 AM by Hickory Violet Part IV » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2017, 01:14:30 PM »

I think we would all come at "worst" lists from a different angle. Are we talking songs we actually wish they'd never recorded? Or just songs we might tend to skip? Or is this a reverse-desert-island-disc scenario where we can keep our BB collection but have to jettison a small amount of songs? Or the "so bad it's funny" stuff that we still might enjoy or laugh at?

When someone says they don't like something, especially if they claim to just HATE something, my first question/response I always want to come up with is "Okay, let me see your list/collection of things you DO like."

I can't count how many times someone has said they HATE some movie, and yet they have like "American Pie 5" on their DVD shelf.

So yeah, I've run into BB fans who HATE every song on "So Tough", yet have like five copies of "Mike Love Salutes NASCAR."

It's how fandom works I guess.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2017, 01:24:04 PM »

I think we would all come at "worst" lists from a different angle. Are we talking songs we actually wish they'd never recorded? Or just songs we might tend to skip? Or is this a reverse-desert-island-disc scenario where we can keep our BB collection but have to jettison a small amount of songs? Or the "so bad it's funny" stuff that we still might enjoy or laugh at?

When someone says they don't like something, especially if they claim to just HATE something, my first question/response I always want to come up with is "Okay, let me see your list/collection of things you DO like."

I can't count how many times someone has said they HATE some movie, and yet they have like "American Pie 5" on their DVD shelf.

So yeah, I've run into BB fans who HATE every song on "So Tough", yet have like five copies of "Mike Love Salutes NASCAR."

There's a fan on another BB board I frequent who dislikes much of the Jack Rieley Era stuff, but loves the Love You album. 

So, you can also accept an outlying opinion without the need to judge their opinions, or compile evidence about how their taste in somehow inferior. 

For some reason your statement about not liking a particular movie, but liked a (perceived to be) dumb movie reminded of an exchange in Family Guy where Peter is forced to explain why he didn't like The Godfather.  His ultimate reply was "I like The Money Pit."   
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2017, 01:30:17 PM »

There's a fan on another BB board I frequent who dislikes much of the Jack Rieley Era stuff, but loves the Love You album. 

So, you can also accept an outlying opinion without the need to judge their opinions, or compile evidence about how their taste in somehow inferior. 

For some reason your statement about not liking a particular movie, but liked a (perceived to be) dumb movie reminded of an exchange in Family Guy where Peter is forced to explain why he didn't like The Godfather.  His ultimate reply was "I like The Money Pit."   

When it's just fans saying what they like, then I don't think any further judgment is called for (nor is it useful anyway).

However, when it starts to veer even slightly into what we would call the field of music criticism, even if it's not an actual "music critic" writing professionally or anything, when the analysis goes beyond "I like this, I don't like that" and gets into the *why* in any meaningful/substantive way, then the *other* things that person has analyzed/criticized does become a pertinent piece of information. At least, it's pertinent for the purposes of weighing what they say accordingly.

Having some "guilty pleasure" preferences and things like that, or conversely just really finding a particular song (or movie, etc.) annoying, is different from taking any sort of objective viewpoint in criticizing (or approving of) a given piece.

I can say, for instance, that I'm not as enamored with "Pacific Ocean Blue" as others based on my personal preference, but I also objectively acknowledge it's brilliance. Make no mistake, I think the album is great. But I have no problem being honest in saying it's not the first thing I reach for to pull off the shelf.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2017, 01:36:03 PM »

When it's just fans saying what they like, then I don't think any further judgment is called for (nor is it useful anyway).

However, when it starts to veer even slightly into what we would call the field of music criticism, even if it's not an actual "music critic" writing professionally or anything, when the analysis goes beyond "I like this, I don't like that" and gets into the *why* in any meaningful/substantive way, then the *other* things that person has analyzed/criticized does become a pertinent piece of information. At least, it's pertinent for the purposes of weighing what they say accordingly.

Having some "guilty pleasure" preferences and things like that, or conversely just really finding a particular song (or movie, etc.) annoying, is different from taking any sort of objective viewpoint in criticizing (or approving of) a given piece.

I can say, for instance, that I'm not as enamored with "Pacific Ocean Blue" as others based on my personal preference, but I also objectively acknowledge it's brilliance. Make no mistake, I think the album is great. But I have no problem being honest in saying it's not the first thing I reach for to pull off the shelf.

That's one of those things that makes things like music lists and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame so difficult. 

I kinda feel the same way you do about POB, so I can relate there.  But I'd bet if you polled 100 people who weren't necessarily BB fanatics and had them listen to the album from start to finish, I doubt you'd get all of them to conclusively say that "it's great" regardless of their personal preference. 
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2017, 02:19:53 PM »

I get what your saying guys, but Pom Pom Play Girl?

It's criminal.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2017, 02:25:08 PM »

The Beach Boys *did* try about 20-25 seconds of "Pom Pom Playgirl" in 1971:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9fx81wKt-g

Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2017, 03:19:54 PM »

And you know I'm being tongue in cheek.

Just trying to find an over the top way of expressing my genuine suprise at some of thee choices.

I didn't need to qualify that, your all intellugent peeple.
drummer083
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2017, 04:35:55 PM »

Brian's Back. While I can appreciate the sentiment, the lyrics make me cringe every time. Hey Little Tomboy is a close 2nd.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx