gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:56:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reel Tapes Library Images  (Read 21791 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2017, 11:33:26 AM »

Thanks Paul.

While respecting your friends anonymity, you did mention he new members of the group very well. As Audree came from the area, should we consider a relation?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:46:04 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2017, 04:26:06 PM »

More indication that this is just a fan. Really the only detail left to pursue is whether there's anything of interest on the small number of intriguingly-titled tapes.

Some of this would be answered if we knew a precise date, because I would tend to doubt *anybody* would have Smile outtakes in their collection in 1973.

It would be nice if someone could track this "fan" down and just ask about those tapes. No names needed.

And once again, even if the guy has nothing of interest but one single 1974 St. Paul soundboard tape, that would be cool to hear!

My best guess: It's a fan, and the St. Paul tape is probably the only thing (along with perhaps the one or two other live tapes) that might be of interest in 2017. I'm guessing the other stuff is essentially very elaborate forms of the "fan mix tape." If the pic comes from the very late 70s or early 80s (and let us remember that the "work" done for this guy could have been done in the early-mid 70s, but this pic could still be from late 70s or very early 80s), then stuff like the "Dumb Angel" tape could just be a dub of the earliest "Smile" boots.

Obviously, it's easy to assume this pic comes from 1974 or 75 at the latest as it doesn't have stuff from 15BO or later. But who knows? The later 70s stuff might be on another shelf. Or maybe the guy just stopped dubbing stuff after that.

Maybe at this point it might be easier to track down Mike or Al and ask them if they remember a friend/fan from the St. Paul area who might have somehow procured a few rare tapes.

1. Didn't Brian supposedly record some country album in the early 70's? He was asked to or something? Ok that may be false but I definitely read it somewhere. Could "Dumb Angel" be this country album?

2. Isn't it possible for a superfan, not to get tapes, but to know the Beach Boys? Aren't a couple of superfans responsible for getting Landy out of Brian's life? May not be true, but I read that on the sometimes-true website called Wikipedia.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2017, 12:21:30 AM »

Could "Dumb Angel" be this country album?

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious,  but Dumb Angel was the original title of Smile. From your above statement I wasn't sure if you knew this.  Smiley

If you did then I'm not sure if the logic here. Why would a superfan call the country album Dumb Angel?

Isn't it more likely the superfan is showing off their knowledge by giving Smile it's original title?
Vale
Smiley Smile Associate

Drink a little drip drip drip drip drink a little

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2017, 01:27:07 AM »

1. Didn't Brian supposedly record some country album in the early 70's? He was asked to or something? Ok that may be false but I definitely read it somewhere. Could "Dumb Angel" be this country album?

In BB history "Dumb Angel" is considered the inital title for the SMiLE album, so I don't think it's a new project for a country album, that album should have been "Cows in the pasture" which was abandoned by Brian in early 70s.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:12:11 AM by Vale » Logged

The Beach Boys' music and history have marked the most important stages of my life so far.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2017, 01:15:54 PM »

Vale and Hickory Violet,

I am very new to the board and am just getting into deep tracks and "deep facts." I had no idea of the Dumb Angel-Smile connection. Thanks for the info!
Vale
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2017, 01:34:49 PM »

Vale and Hickory Violet,

I am very new to the board and am just getting into deep tracks and "deep facts." I had no idea of the Dumb Angel-Smile connection. Thanks for the info!

You're welcome! I'm getting into "deep facts" too! Smiley

The Beach Boys' music and history have marked the most important stages of my life so far.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2017, 03:16:42 PM »

Vale and Hickory Violet,

That's fine.  Brush up on your Smile facts and you may win a bronze statuette.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2017, 04:57:13 PM »

Vale and Hickory Violet,

That's fine.  Brush up on your Smile facts and you may win a bronze statuette.
Or, wait for it, a reel containing 30 minutes more of Brian Wilson and Hal Blaine's "Vegetable Arguments."
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2017, 05:38:36 PM »

*BUMP*. Mr. Bramsen, have you contacted the alleged owner of the tapes in the photograph for any comments regarding the issue?
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2017, 05:02:17 PM »

Mr. Bramsen, have you got back to the photographer and perhaps owner of those tapes shown in the picture that’s been discussed on this thread?
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2017, 11:52:02 AM »

I reached out again to the owner of the tapes etc., this morning. He was in France and is returning next week and said he'll call me when he returns.  Head Spin
Have you gotten back to him yet, Mr. Bramsen?
Vale
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2017, 02:11:14 AM »

I'm confident!  Smiley

Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2020, 12:53:30 AM »

I'm confident!  Smiley
[/qsuote]

I'm not!
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2020, 04:50:13 AM »

The holy grail IMO would be the database. Every tape name, track sheet, and notation are in the archive database. Access to that would be endlessly fascinating.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx